Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sparkle Biscuit
Jul 21, 2004

Honestly, I was just hitting any note.
I've been in some sort of school setting, mostly elementary, for 11 years and I've had my fill, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to switch career paths. I've been searching for about two months now, not really sure either how to market myself or which sorts of jobs to even go for. I'm curious if any of you are former teachers who've successfully transitioned out, how you did it, and what you're doing now? Ideally, I'd like to transition into something that my current teaching skills are applicable toward. Extra school really isn't in the picture for me, at least not for a few more years if that's what it's going to take. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

This ain't Jigsaw's house, you can quit any time you want. You need to have a goal or path or at least a ballpark of what you want to do next, then we can help you.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Sparkle Biscuit posted:

I've been in some sort of school setting, mostly elementary, for 11 years and I've had my fill, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to switch career paths. I've been searching for about two months now, not really sure either how to market myself or which sorts of jobs to even go for. I'm curious if any of you are former teachers who've successfully transitioned out, how you did it, and what you're doing now? Ideally, I'd like to transition into something that my current teaching skills are applicable toward. Extra school really isn't in the picture for me, at least not for a few more years if that's what it's going to take. Thoughts?
Okay, do you not want to teach or do you just not want to teach in a school setting? I found tutoring to be both easier and more lucrative, maybe check around if you're interested in that. Childcare is always an option - nannying, running a small inhome center, that sort of thing. Maybe pitching yourself as a consultant to homeschooled kids. Apart from that, any sort of junior level management as an entry point, then work your way up from there.

Do you have any subject specific knowledge you want to put to use?

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai
Look up learning and development or training departments at corporations. You can use your teaching skills in a different setting with adults. It could also be a way for you to transition to different roles at organizations after you figure out what you want to do.

Sparkle Biscuit
Jul 21, 2004

My apologies for being vague! I was feeling pretty bummed out yesterday, so here's a bit more detail.

I'm currently a mid-management level person in a Head Start program, but because my boss is a trainfire of a human being, people keep leaving so I've been subbing in for other people since school began in August. Our parent organization is aggressively unhelpful and this is the last straw for me. On paper, I love this job, but it's just not turning out to be what was promised. Job lined up or not, I'm out by years end. Before this I did what basically amounts to consulting for childcare providers who were going through a state sponsored quality improvement program, and before that I was in elementary school for about 8 years.

If I stick to a career trajectory that is adjacent to the skills I already have, I like the idea of training in a corporate setting. I like tutoring too, and I know I could make more hourly, but I'd be hesitant to jump the consistency of regular paychecks just yet. Definitely a back-pocket idea.

As far as specific knowledge to put to use, I don't know that I have any that would land me a gig, but I do a little brewing and worked PT in the taproom at decently sized brewery. That job ruled, but it was just a summer gig. I've looked around my area (Atlanta) to see if there are any certificate programs for brewing since a new brewery opens like every other month around here, but weirdly there's nothing. My focus in the school system was science.

Long story short, I'm good with people, but I'm tired of dealing with lovely parents of lovely kids and lovely school systems that only care about tests.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
isnt the point of being a teacher in part that the job is very portable? it sounds like your school sucks donkey balls but like, there are roughly four trillion schools in america go get a job at one of those

you have to separate your situational unhappiness (poo poo boss, subbing in, bad parent org with no support) with your intrinsic unhappiness (i do not take joy in this career)

Sparkle Biscuit
Jul 21, 2004

That is part of it for some, but after 11 years, trading one set of situational unhappiness for another has led to the intrinsic unhappiness of I don't want to do any of this anymore.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Sparkle Biscuit posted:

My apologies for being vague! I was feeling pretty bummed out yesterday, so here's a bit more detail.

I'm currently a mid-management level person in a Head Start program, but because my boss is a trainfire of a human being, people keep leaving so I've been subbing in for other people since school began in August. Our parent organization is aggressively unhelpful and this is the last straw for me. On paper, I love this job, but it's just not turning out to be what was promised. Job lined up or not, I'm out by years end. Before this I did what basically amounts to consulting for childcare providers who were going through a state sponsored quality improvement program, and before that I was in elementary school for about 8 years.

If I stick to a career trajectory that is adjacent to the skills I already have, I like the idea of training in a corporate setting. I like tutoring too, and I know I could make more hourly, but I'd be hesitant to jump the consistency of regular paychecks just yet. Definitely a back-pocket idea.

As far as specific knowledge to put to use, I don't know that I have any that would land me a gig, but I do a little brewing and worked PT in the taproom at decently sized brewery. That job ruled, but it was just a summer gig. I've looked around my area (Atlanta) to see if there are any certificate programs for brewing since a new brewery opens like every other month around here, but weirdly there's nothing. My focus in the school system was science.

Long story short, I'm good with people, but I'm tired of dealing with lovely parents of lovely kids and lovely school systems that only care about tests.

So do you have a teaching license?

And is the brewing stuff a joke or are you being serious?

Sparkle Biscuit
Jul 21, 2004

Yes, I am a certified teacher. And the brewing stuff is a bit of a pipe dream because I know brewers hours are all over the place, or at least the brewers where I worked never had super consistent schedules, and my family life wouldn't really work out without consistency at the moment.

Sparkle Biscuit fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 14, 2018

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
You've repeatedly mentioned the desire for paycheck consistency / consistent hours. Do you have a personal-life thing that precludes it or would make self-employment / consultant work problematic? (E.g., raising a young child, health problems requiring consistent access to treatment, etc?) It might help with suggestions if the teachers know what limitations you have.

Also, while this is BFC and this kind of question is totally up this subforum's alley, I'm pretty sure there's also a teaching thread in SAL which might have other people who can answer the Q too. Just if you want a few more eyes on your situation. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Hi, former teacher here. My suggestion would be to figure out what you DO want to do.

I left teaching because the pressure of running a classroom and being responsible for the futures of so many kids gave me a literal mental breakdown.

I decided I wanted to go into IT. I took an intro to IT course and learned some skills, then looked for a job in IT for education.

I'm currently working in IT Support for a huge Charter Management Organization and I love it. It combines what I'm passionate about (helping kids, changing the world, improving the state of education) with what I like as a career (sitting at a computer, not dealing with kids)