Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

are you sure that the graphics card is actually a mbp? it is only acceptable in wider society to drop that much cash on an apple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Sniep posted:

are those 2080 tis still burning out left and right

it’s apparently only the highest priced founders edition

pay out the nose and get poo poo on I guess

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Telebite posted:

OK, so like, the bestest newest Nvidia card that tops the performance chart is EVGA's RTX 2080 Ti FTW3:

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-2487-KR

It's $1,350. That's a lot but I guess a hardcore gamer would like to pay that. OK.

But like, oh no! You can't order it! There's an "Auto Notify" button but I read that apparently you have to react to the notify within minutes or seconds because the card will just sell out that fast. Oh no!

So like, the only way to buy it is wait for someone to put it on eBay and sell it for $2,000. So now you have to pay $2,000.

No one's gonna pay that!

But wait!

https://ebay.to/2qHfahh
https://ebay.to/2PpEpUf

lol!

$2000 video game graphics card

ok

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Boiled Water posted:

it’s apparently only the highest priced founders edition

pay out the nose and get poo poo on I guess

i'd wager hardly anyone using a founders edition card paid for it

xqc's got one and it's a safe bet that it was sent to him by a sponsor (because buying one would mean going outside)

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i think its to brag in web forum signatures, op

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
only the best silicone for my elite rigg

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
because they watch Linus tech tips, op

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Telebite posted:

It's $1,350. That's a lot but I guess a hardcore gamer would like to pay that. OK.

So like, the only way to buy it is wait for someone to put it on eBay and sell it for $2,000. So now you have to pay $2,000.

This is better for the environment. Remove the bitcoin mining element and just directly speculate with the hardware.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

i'd wager hardly anyone using a founders edition card paid for it

xqc's got one and it's a safe bet that it was sent to him by a sponsor (because buying one would mean going outside)

who the gently caress is xqc

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lol if you don't have double 2080tis in sli mode on dual 8k monitors to have the highest resolution to play european mapgames exclusively

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
lol if u think SLI is still a valid thing for gaming in 2018. outed as having no clue

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
forgive me, i meant nvlink multi-gpu technology

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
that either tbqh

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
lol, just lol if your gpu is not a quadro

firepro is an ok poverty option i guess

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i ran dual 670s till july of last year and surprisingly they could run most games on mid-high settings with no AA just fine, at 4K, after some loving around in nvidia inspector. it wasnt a 100% boost when i added the second card or anything but it really helped to tide me over on the cheap

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

What does one do with this computer, besides Star Citizen & Bitcoin?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjsXCjU1-fM

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

quote:

is this run crysis in 60 fps ??

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Telebite posted:

What does one do with this computer, besides Star Citizen & Bitcoin?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjsXCjU1-fM

this is a stupid setup for bitcoin because they've got way too much CPU and RAM there, but we should never overestimate the intelligence of bitcoiners

wouldn't latency between the far cards and the CPUs start to become an issue?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

that thing would be an excellent vdi server if you've got a mildly GPU intensive app in your workflow

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

I mean, if they had used quadros instead of 1080ti's

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
lol i remember at the school district i worked at, someone had the idea to save a bundle of money by doing thin clients in most of the computer labs. "it's great, these kids are just doing word documents and web-browsing!" i think this was shortly before dual-core chips were a thing. i seem to recall the main terminal server being a blade chassis comprising six blades of dual-socket late-model Pentium III chips. think there was also a four-socket server that got deployed somewhere. basically like 20 terminals per CPU.

then Flash got really popular, so a couple of sessions with Flash-heavy webpages could bring a whole lab to a grinding halt. so the easy solution is just to block Flash, right? well, the textbook publishers started including links to 'enhanced content' or whatever that - surprise! - relied on Flash. ultimately everyone wound up hating the thin clients and we wound up going back to regular PCs for everyone.

i'd be curious how well it'd work today with the monster number of cores you can pack into a server. on the other hand i think they're just doing chromebooks and ipads for everyone now anyway.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lol i remember at the school district i worked at, someone had the idea to save a bundle of money by doing thin clients in most of the computer labs. "it's great, these kids are just doing word documents and web-browsing!" i think this was shortly before dual-core chips were a thing. i seem to recall the main terminal server being a blade chassis comprising six blades of dual-socket late-model Pentium III chips. think there was also a four-socket server that got deployed somewhere. basically like 20 terminals per CPU.

then Flash got really popular, so a couple of sessions with Flash-heavy webpages could bring a whole lab to a grinding halt. so the easy solution is just to block Flash, right? well, the textbook publishers started including links to 'enhanced content' or whatever that - surprise! - relied on Flash. ultimately everyone wound up hating the thin clients and we wound up going back to regular PCs for everyone.

i'd be curious how well it'd work today with the monster number of cores you can pack into a server. on the other hand i think they're just doing chromebooks and ipads for everyone now anyway.

We have this for work (well vdis) and it works well enough that I don't hate doing dev work on it. Apparently it isn't any cheaper in terms of hardware than normal desktops but is way easier to manage

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

vdi is completely feasible now for basically anywhere. it's not cost-saving though in terms of equipment/licensing

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

then Flash got really popular, so a couple of sessions with Flash-heavy webpages could bring a whole lab to a grinding halt.

Haha that reminds me of when I was a web dev and a clueless client kept complaining we did a poo poo job on the animations on their website; they claimed they were super choppy.

Eventually it became clear their office was using Citrix.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

had sun ray labs at university (backed by, i think, a fire 3800), and while one could choose to go to labs with either actual sun workstations or linux labs with fairly beefy pc's, the ray lab was the place to be because 1) it was entirely silent; and; 2) since it didn't run flash and whatnot well a lot of the more annoying parts of the student body didn't go there (though, granted, this was a second-level filtering as there were windows labs as well)

good times~

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 17, 2018

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Has there been a reason to upgrade a PC in the last 5 years, specifically for gaming?

computers slow

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

vr but I know no one actually cares about that

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
no, AAA gaming is loving garbage anyway , all the good games released in the last few years could probably run on a 10 year old computer without any issues

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SpaceAceJase posted:

Has there been a reason to upgrade a PC in the last 5 years, specifically for gaming?

computers slow

yes, keeping your gaming rig up to date is the duty, nay PRIVILEGE of the committed pc gamer

if the components of your box (aside from things like the case or fans) are 2+ years old, you bring shame upon pc gaming and gamers in general

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

WilWheaton posted:

no, AAA gaming is loving garbage anyway , all the good games released in the last few years could probably run on a 10 year old computer without any issues

lmbo @ sonic mania only requiring a loving pentium 4

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

need the ftw edition to play xenus gold 2

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/titan/titan-rtx/?nvid=nv-int-ndtnrx-66563

Titan RTX out

$2,499.00 each

Free standard shipping

2 Titan RTX on NVLink = $5,077.99

$5,000.00+ Gaming Graphics Cards

"ADD TO CART" ++

:)

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

:) ;) :) :D

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

a gamer and his money are soon parted the old saying goes

the old meaning has been lost to time but I like to think it means that anyone who call themselves a gamer is a God drat moron

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
i'm not even reading one forum, don't try to make me read two

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

bleeding edge video cards a bad purchase?

well i never

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

fart simpson posted:

why would people pay $10 to read you’re posts

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

graph posted:

vdi is completely feasible now for basically anywhere. it's not cost-saving though in terms of equipment/licensing

its really pretty good and cuts on replacing field hardware complexity; just chuck the little box and grab another, theyre all the same

we use them for some roles and its almost native smoothness for performance, minus towers and beefy dev laptops. the only issue we have is if a conference room lacks a vdi box, so some people cant present or do much but they tend to lug a personal laptop for the rare meeting

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

found the answer to thread title

repiv posted:

A second RTX game is available and it's... Quake 2 :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

quake 2 speed runs were great