Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Billick refused to play a preseason game because of the turf condition

fake edit: it was in Philly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FebrezeNinja posted:

There was that hall of fame game they had to cancel. Was that also the one where they used the wrong kind of paint?

I think that was different because they sprayed something on the field that ended up like epoxy? As in it stopped being grass and turned into something you'd skate over if you were wearing cleats.

Someone could write an interesting long form article about all the ways NFL fields have been hosed up either as a whole or individually over the years.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Yeah when I watched the video again they're rolls and not 2x2 or whatever I said. There was a chunk that must have been cut but they aren't all like that. Still, those rolls seem small. Maybe if they were huge rolls? It's pretty hard for me to think this is any kind of solution and not just a cosmetic band aid.

This game could be a Super Bowl preview and if anybody gets hurt in this game the NFL will have majorly hosed up. I bet they move it.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

kiimo posted:

Yeah when I watched the video again they're rolls and not 2x2 or whatever I said. There was a chunk that must have been cut but they aren't all like that. Still, those rolls seem small. Maybe if they were huge rolls? It's pretty hard for me to think this is any kind of solution and not just a cosmetic band aid.

This game could be a Super Bowl preview and if anybody gets hurt in this game the NFL will have majorly hosed up. I bet they move it.

they're not gonna move poo poo my man

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

kiimo posted:

I bet they move it.

Look man, whatever you gotta do to make yourself feel better.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Play posted:

I would think, though, having other pieces of sod to each side (they're pretty thick) + gravity should be enough to keep those things down, because you'd have to make to basically scoop with the cleats and lift to get them to move at all.

What do you think is going to happen when a guard and a defense tackle collide?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

houston had the little pallets of sod that you could catch a cleat in and tear something in your leg.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Chichevache posted:

What do you think is going to happen when a guard and a defense tackle collide?

a noise like "PHHTHWAAAK!!'

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

Seams in astroturf were the main ligament threats as I remember. Like, there were places you'd plant your foot and it would get caught between two pieces of turf and not let go. Of course it was like playing on concrete with a rug over it too, so everything else sucked about it in addition to that.

I'd imagine seams could be a problem with actual grass planted like that too, or at least it seems like it could? I am not an expert.

with a seam it's like kicking up the corner of a rug vs kicking up the center of a rug. there's like 1/2-3/4ths of the available friction from the surrounding rug gone.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
That field will look amazing at kick off and will be garbage by half time. Should be good TV.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Remember that Dolphins Steelers game at Heinz field?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Nodoze posted:

Remember that Dolphins Steelers game at Heinz field?
I will never forget it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
can't they attach Arizona's removable field to a heavy lift chopper and fly it up to Mexico City for the game

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

indigi posted:

can't they attach Arizona's removable field to a heavy lift chopper and fly it up to Mexico City for the game

I actually thought about this possibility for two seconds. I mean the answer is obviously no this will never happen and it'd take a few more than one helicopter to even imagine...but how does that work when the lift is pushing down against the thing you're lifting? I guess you'd attach chains to the corners and sides and have the choppers fly in formation away from the thing, and pray they didn't get even slightly out of formation since the whole field would crack in half.

Er...anyway. No.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Play the game at a local high school. It would be safer.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

lol just hovering in stasis five feet above the ground, everyone panicking, Trump blaming liberal physics.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

kiimo posted:

lol just hovering in stasis five feet above the ground, everyone panicking, Trump blaming liberal physics.

I'm telling you, the caravan did it

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

kiimo posted:

Yes, play the game on hoverboards. Might be safer for all ACLs involved.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

indigi posted:

it weighs 20 million pounds

Barudak
May 7, 2007

hifi posted:

Thats like, what, two golden corrall customers?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

how does that work when the lift is pushing down against the thing you're lifting?
...How, exactly, do you think airfoils work?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

if you extended the train tracks and had it roll itself to mexico it would take just over a year to get there BUT that is with only 76 1-horsepower motors. i will leave it to jon bois to make the speculative fiction multimedia narrative for this train of thought.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

hifi posted:

if you extended the train tracks and had it roll itself to mexico it would take just over a year to get there BUT that is with only 76 1-horsepower motors. i will leave it to jon bois to make the speculative fiction multimedia narrative for this train of thought.

Someone get this information to that lady who ran for Congress on the sole platform of high speed rail trains.

edit: "bullet field"

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
N: https://twitter.com/zachkruse2/status/1062376895097044992?s=19

https://twitter.com/zachkruse2/status/1062429809253453826?s=19

V: He good as hell and still will only get 15 or fewer carries a game because Fat Mike

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

hifi posted:

are you saying America can't get it done?!!?!

e: offer the caravan blanket citizenship if they carry it to Mexico City

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

We've already ruled out the catapult, how about we just have the Eagles carry it to Mexico?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Jones is great on 2nd and 10 sure but what’s he running against like cover 3 zone?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Wait, is this right? This field has been THIS bad for an entire loving month, and the NFL didn't know until they saw the condition of the field on social media? Presumably advance US media trickling down to Mexico City saw it, went "holy poo poo", and reported it is how the NFL found out?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Amy Pole Her posted:

Jones is great on 2nd and 10 sure but what’s he running against like cover 3 zone?

That doesn't really take anything away from him, it just makes running the ball an ever better idea in those situations. And with Rodgers you have to stay up on your coverage which opens up the run game a ton.

Quite a few teams recently have actually been winning games by primarily running the ball against coverage defenses

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Why even take the field to Mexico, just leave the field in mid-air and have the players play in the sky, imagine how even more badass it’ll be.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mega64 posted:

Why even take the field to Mexico, just leave the field in mid-air and have the players play in the sky, imagine how even more badass it’ll be.
Then a wild punt hits a helicopter rotor and the field crashes to the earth, killing everyone.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/CharlesRobinson/status/1062423326239395840

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

See I'm not that delusional to think it might get moved.

right?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

kiimo posted:

right?

I'm thinking the NFL will make the right noises and then continue to proceed as planned

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Then a wild punt hits a helicopter rotor and the field crashes to the earth, killing everyone.

Sounds like the perfect scenario for the next Saints and Panthers game tbh

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

kiimo posted:

right?

It's a home game for the Rams anyway.

Just move the dumb thing to LA

Play
Apr 25, 2006

a neat cape posted:

It's a home game for the Rams anyway.

Just move the dumb thing to LA

Except they'd have to refund like 10+ million dollars in ticket sales. Not to mention it'll piss off tons of people who have travel plans and also force the entire marketing campaign to be thrown out the window

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
The NFL is going to do everything in its power to keep the game in Mexico City for this coming MNF, besides actually fixing the field

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Play in the streets!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Play posted:

Except they'd have to refund like 10+ million dollars in ticket sales. Not to mention it'll piss off tons of people who have travel plans and also force the entire marketing campaign to be thrown out the window

Yeah, its not just the money, the NFL would probably feel like they'd be taking a huge reputational hit and/or piss off Mexico and make it more difficult to hold international games there in the future. Its more likely than not that both teams will be ordered to fly south as planned.