Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Wouldn't a soft field be easier on ACLs? I know I've read a few months back that turf fields destroy ACLs because it's easier to plant and the field doesn't squish and contract that much compared to grass and soil.

It'll be great if it rains.

Seams in astroturf were the main ligament threats as I remember. Like, there were places you'd plant your foot and it would get caught between two pieces of turf and not let go. Of course it was like playing on concrete with a rug over it too, so everything else sucked about it in addition to that.

I'd imagine seams could be a problem with actual grass planted like that too, or at least it seems like it could? I am not an expert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FebrezeNinja posted:

There was that hall of fame game they had to cancel. Was that also the one where they used the wrong kind of paint?

I think that was different because they sprayed something on the field that ended up like epoxy? As in it stopped being grass and turned into something you'd skate over if you were wearing cleats.

Someone could write an interesting long form article about all the ways NFL fields have been hosed up either as a whole or individually over the years.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

indigi posted:

can't they attach Arizona's removable field to a heavy lift chopper and fly it up to Mexico City for the game

I actually thought about this possibility for two seconds. I mean the answer is obviously no this will never happen and it'd take a few more than one helicopter to even imagine...but how does that work when the lift is pushing down against the thing you're lifting? I guess you'd attach chains to the corners and sides and have the choppers fly in formation away from the thing, and pray they didn't get even slightly out of formation since the whole field would crack in half.

Er...anyway. No.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Fifty Three posted:

...How, exactly, do you think airfoils work?

I don't! Huh, that does make sense now that I look at it and extrapolate, and I should have known that anyway. That'd be a cool thing for someone with a drone to show, like some really light but wide thing lifted by the drone.

Er, anyway, I doubt they're taking the field down there.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Rigel posted:

Listening to George Toma, he was down there a few months ago and he said it was pretty bad back then. It obviously got torn up by the concert, but he said he could have gotten the field ready if the NFL had sent him to work on it for a couple months without any events other than maybe soccer.

It's amazing to me that George Toma is still alive. Like, every Super Bowl, decades of doing stuff in Kansas City when he wasn't doing that, now he's flying down to Mexico at (looks it up)...89 if I did the math right?

We need to get a new turf/grass/field guru because this one can't last much longer.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
It is pretty weird that a field/stadium was so bad the NFL was eventually shamed into saying "ok, we'll play in the LA Coliseum" and everyone's good with that.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Slow Getting Up seemed like people liked it when it came out (Nate Jackson's book about his experience in the league).

Most of my sports reading is baseball related, which might immediately disqualify it for you. Ball Four might be a good read even if you don't like the sport though possibly.

e: Oh, I meant to read the recentish Walter Payton book Sweetness. It got good reviews at least, if you read it let me know how it is.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Nov 14, 2018

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Keep in mind this isn't even the take he had to apologize for. He called Doug Pederson 'less qualified to coach a team than anyone I've ever seen,' right before Pederson won the Eagles (the Eagles!) a super bowl. With a backup quarterback. Against Bill Belichick.

The only good one year firing Jimmy Haslem has ever made was getting rid of Lombardi. Which is immediately canceled out by ever hiring him in the first place.

e: oh there's a new page. Yeah Christ, Lombardi is amazing in all the wrong ways.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Silly Burrito posted:

That bear is constipated.

That just makes him angrier. Do you want to mess with a constipated bear? I do not.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

That's fun to think about (and if he were traded the Browns make sense as partners), but that appears to just be Boomer making something up at the end of his radio show.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Oh is that it? I knew it had something to do with something like that.

The league office was a non-profit for most of its life, they gave up that status in 2015 after people were super pissed about the Ray Rice thing and senator Cory Booker threatened to go after them. Something like that, but anyway it was only recently the league office itself stopped being a 'nonprofit.' The franchises themselves were not considered nonprofit organizations though, and they make the bulk of the money (like, damned near all of it) associated with the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

weird Asian candy posted:

I seriously can't think of a favorite Alex Smith moment

For you I'd imagine the run against the Saints in the playoffs.