Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Problem description: After running any game for approximately 3-5 minutes, computer shuts down without warning, and with no error screen. Upon rebooting, a beep code is issued, but each time the problem has repeated, a different beep code has been given: 2, 4 (twice), 7, 8, and 9 equal length beeps. Despite this, the computer boots and runs correctly until I attempt to run a game again. Shortly before shutdown I can hear a slight gurgling sound on the right side of the laptop that I suspect is the GPU fan. Windows 8 memory and hardware tests have returned no problems, nor have any of the prime95 default stress tests. I ran a GPU stress test and shutdown occured at about 85C, while shutdown occured at 63C in game.

Attempted fixes: Cleaning fans externally with compressed air, which did not help.

Recent changes: None

Operating system: Windows 8.1; 64 bit

System specs: Model P650SE; Processor Intel Core i7-4720HQ; Memory 16GB; GPU Nvidia GTX 970M

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Basically, the GPU stress test makes me suspect it's a cooling problem, since it reached 85C within two minutes, but the lack of overheating when in game makes me think it might be a power supply issue. If anyone thinks I might have missed something I'd really appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

fool_of_sound posted:

Basically, the GPU stress test makes me suspect it's a cooling problem, since it reached 85C within two minutes, but the lack of overheating when in game makes me think it might be a power supply issue. If anyone thinks I might have missed something I'd really appreciate it.

Both of those sound plausible.

Are you on the latest GPU drivers? If not I'd try them.

If you're already on the latest, I'd run https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html and then reinstall the latest ones.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I just tried a fresh install of the GPU drivers, but it didn't help. I did notice another symptom though: while approaching the shut down, my capslock and numlock lights flashed at the same time repeatedly. A quick google tells me that this means either power issue, overheat issue, or motherboard failure, but I can't find good information for my particular model.

e: someone else suggested unplugging the the charger and trying, and it appears to be stable for substantially longer while doing so. It might be because of some power save performance reduction thing though

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 15, 2018

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

That sounds exactly like what happened to me when I had a cooling issue. What I ultimately had to do was take out the GPU, open it up, and remove the cat hair that had burned onto one side of the heat sink. That cleared it up!

Got any pets?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

marshmallow creep posted:

That sounds exactly like what happened to me when I had a cooling issue. What I ultimately had to do was take out the GPU, open it up, and remove the cat hair that had burned onto one side of the heat sink. That cleared it up!

Got any pets?

Yes and I live in a fairly dusty place. Hopefully it's just something like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah it turns out it was a combination of just two year of accumulated pet hair and a small plastic bit loving with the gpu fan. Thanks for the responses!

• Locked thread