Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

My some of my partner's family members watched Season 1 so I chatted with them about it back when it was on... they didn't like how the show was about one story and felt that they should solve a case each episode instead.

Boomers! :argh:

fuckin :yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

AFewBricksShy posted:

I think one of the things that why I didn't like Season 2 as much was that they wasted Vince Vaughn. He's not the best actor in the world, but what he does do well is being a cocky, amusing smartass. I can only remember a couple of scenes where they actually used him like that. He's not a good enough actor to pull off dour and imposing the entire time, but by having him be relatively funny and good natured and then snapping into seriousness (he's physically imposing, which is easy to forget) would have been far more effective.

This scene is a perfect example of how to use him properly, in my opinion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCIRmqts-JQ

I'd forgotten that scene but that really is a perfect use for him. I now want to watch Vince Vaughn in more things just to get a proper reading of his range.

Chairman Capone posted:

Other than The Cell, I think this is the only time I've seen Vince Vaughn in a serious role. I thought he did fine for the most part, within the context of some the dialogue he was given.

I still think the Cell gets slighted more than it deserves. The plot is a bit rubbish but the visuals are splendid and the music is fairly tight. Trippy as hell and a decent background to use for a Halloween party. I've seen far worse get tons more regard and love. Perhaps the JLo factor?

Basebf555 posted:

Hard to recommend due to the directors neo-nazi associations, but Vaughn shows what he can do with that kind of role in Brawl in Cell Block 99. If you shoot him properly he really is a physically scary dude.
I loved Bone Tomahawk but the directors a Nazi? Google isn't pulling it up so.... what is the dirt?

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

Heavy Metal posted:

I am apoplectic waiting for this season, and I like mowing my lawn.

Even if season 3 is a complete wash, I will at least walk away with an expanded vocabulary.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Von_Doom posted:

I loved Bone Tomahawk but the directors a Nazi? Google isn't pulling it up so.... what is the dirt?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/from-texas-movies-for-americans-hollywood-left-behind-1526400385

The producer he's hooked up with set out specifically to create a company that would make movies for the Nazi audience. And his next film stars Mel Gibson and it's about police brutality. Something tells me it's not gonna side with the victims who are being brutalized...

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Basebf555 posted:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/from-texas-movies-for-americans-hollywood-left-behind-1526400385

The producer he's hooked up with set out specifically to create a company that would make movies for the Nazi audience. And his next film stars Mel Gibson and it's about police brutality. Something tells me it's not gonna side with the victims who are being brutalized...

Goddamit world. Why? Why do you never turn the other direction?

If future generations actually manage to come about do you think they will watch the remnants of entertainment from this era and be morbidly fascinated? I still occasionally watch 300 when it randomly comes on. So blatantly xenophobic, homophobic and pro war. At the time I was too young and naive to think this winter was really going to come.

Thanks you for the info though it makes me :emo:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Von_Doom posted:

Goddamit world. Why? Why do you never turn the other direction?

If future generations actually manage to come about do you think they will watch the remnants of entertainment from this era and be morbidly fascinated? I still occasionally watch 300 when it randomly comes on. So blatantly xenophobic, homophobic and pro war. At the time I was too young and naive to think this winter was really going to come.

Thanks you for the info though it makes me :emo:

The future's going to be worse just letting you know.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I just remembered Vince Vaughn was Norman Bates in that Gus Van Sant remake of Psycho. Did anyone see that?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

kloa posted:

fuckin :yikes:

Yeah it was pretty bad. Upset that HBO isn’t Murder She Wrote, gently caress

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The_Doctor posted:

I just remembered Vince Vaughn was Norman Bates in that Gus Van Sant remake of Psycho. Did anyone see that?

Unfortunately yes :sigh:

It's kind of fascinating simply as an exercise in seeing how two different directors can not only take the same script and make movies of different quality, but how one director can actually set out to make a complete shot-for-shot remark of the other director's film and STILL make it worse.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
My god, I started a rewatch of ss1 last night and I’d completely forgotten that Marty was just a regular type dude with a big rear end dick :quagmire:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

Unfortunately yes :sigh:

It's kind of fascinating simply as an exercise in seeing how two different directors can not only take the same script and make movies of different quality, but how one director can actually set out to make a complete shot-for-shot remark of the other director's film and STILL make it worse.

The true genius of Psycho was just not something that could ever be translated in a remake, because it's Hitchcock playing off expectations about what audiences had in mind for a Hitchcock film. It has all the trappings of the kind of thriller people had become used to from him; a woman on the run with stolen cash, there's an overly curious cop on her trail, and you can't help but root for her to get away with the money because her boss is a major rear end in a top hat. The set-up leads you down a certain path in your mind, and then when that path is so abruptly cut off you're left with ZERO idea of where things may go next.

A shot for shot remake was never going to duplicate that experience, and the actual sequels starring Perkins did a much better job of exploring other aspects of the Norman character without having to depend on the same old tricks.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

The true genius of Psycho was just not something that could ever be translated in a remake, because it's Hitchcock playing off expectations about what audiences had in mind for a Hitchcock film. It has all the trappings of the kind of thriller people had become used to from him; a woman on the run with stolen cash, there's an overly curious cop on her trail, and you can't help but root for her to get away with the money because her boss is a major rear end in a top hat. The set-up leads you down a certain path in your mind, and then when that path is so abruptly cut off you're left with ZERO idea of where things may go next.

A shot for shot remake was never going to duplicate that experience, and the actual sequels starring Perkins did a much better job of exploring other aspects of the Norman character without having to depend on the same old tricks.

Yeah, killing Janet Leigh really hosed with audiences at the time. People were really upset they killed a leading star.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
“And like every dream... there’s a monster at the end of it.” :suspense:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Oh man I’m nearing the end of ~*~Episode Four~*~

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
You're in Carcosa now...

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

drat Welp, here we go for another rewatch of s1.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Ray beating up the bully’s dad will always be a favorite of mine:

https://youtu.be/JHOGs5x90PU?t=2m49s

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

ASSpen

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Isn't that a girl's name?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

lmao “If you get the opportunity you should kill yourself” - Rust Cohle 2002

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

beanieson posted:

lmao “If you get the opportunity you should kill yourself” - Rust Cohle 2002

Yeah this. As much as I’d love to see a return of Rust, nothing could match S1 Rust.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

As I’m rewatching all I can think about is the two black detectives sitting there for however many hours just listening, sitting quietly while Rust rambles on and on about time being a flat circle and humanity being a mistake and what must being going on in their minds lol

I’d love a cut of the whole season with just them hearing his insane ramblings

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

beanieson posted:

As I’m rewatching all I can think about is the two black detectives sitting there for however many hours just listening, sitting quietly while Rust rambles on and on about time being a flat circle and humanity being a mistake and what must being going on in their minds lol

I’d love a cut of the whole season with just them hearing his insane ramblings

I did get a kick out of the parody videos that came out around that time

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

New trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZP6t1FmVO8

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Some of that dialogue seems to straddle the line between S1 and 2 :ohdear:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm trying to taper my enthusiasm for this, but I keep finding myself getting excited about it. I think going back to the "previous time" set pieces is gonna make it a lot better. Even if there is lovely dialogue and story elements.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm trying to taper my enthusiasm for this, but I keep finding myself getting excited about it. I think going back to the "previous time" set pieces is gonna make it a lot better. Even if there is lovely dialogue and story elements.

My worry is that they're gonna be too reactive to the negativity surrounding Season 2 and as a result this season will be way too similar to Season 1. Old washed up detective being interviewed, flashbacks to one of his old investigations where *something* big happened, leading up to the big reveal of this huge life changing event, then back to the present for the last few episodes to finally solve the case once and for all.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Dec 14, 2018

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm looking forward to it, but you never know. The dialogue isn't my main issue with his writing in season 2, reviews mention stuff like "not even eating" etc, but those kind of lines don't bother me. Just that the story wasn't that interesting to me, and I didn't care about the characters much. I guess the writing overall in season 2. Just felt a bit directionless, where as the first season was absurdly tight and sharp. Though I didn't hate season 2.

From the glimpses we get here, I think the leading guy will give a great performance, and I'll care about him etc, and it seems intriguing stuff may happen. So probably a step up from season 2, and still a good bit of noir etc, not sure what the scoop is with the voice (his lady?) saying "finish him", interesting choice to include. The vibe they're giving there makes it sound like things may be messier than we expect.

Just seeing grim looking people in suits, hey, that's always cool. I suspect I'll enjoy watching it, whether I ultimately dig where it goes, well that's a coin toss.

How about some crime TV recommendations in here, that cool? Anybody see The Shadow Line? I came across that recently, may check it out. Been digging on Miami Vice lately. I enjoyed The Wire and The Shield, been meaning to check out Homicide and NYPD Blue, also Crime Story, have only seen a bit of those. And NYPD Blue's David Milch co-wrote an episode of this True Detective season they say.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Heavy Metal posted:

How about some crime TV recommendations in here, that cool? Anybody see The Shadow Line? I came across that recently, may check it out. Been digging on Miami Vice lately. I enjoyed The Wire and The Shield, been meaning to check out Homicide and NYPD Blue, also Crime Story, have only seen a bit of those. And NYPD Blue's David Milch co-wrote an episode of this True Detective season they say.

Is The Shadow Line on Netflix or Amazon Prime?

Homicide and NYPD Blue are both excellent. Both are best in the early seasons. Also check out Justified and The Fall.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on, will do. Shadow Line is just available to buy on amazon, looks interesting though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

S1, ep 6, Dolores’ dad from Westworld! I didn’t realise he was in this.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

S1, ep 6, Dolores’ dad from Westworld! I didn’t realise he was in this.

Goddamn that guys a great actor

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

NYPD Blue shows its age a little bit but the Jimmy Smits/Dennis Franz years are really great, and while Ricky Schroeder was all right, the show really improved when they realized Franz could easily carry the show as the lead without needing a handsome dude partner.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

beanieson posted:

Goddamn that guys a great actor

He is! His southern accent isn’t great in this, but he’s acting the shot out of his scene.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I hope Mr Abernathy is in more stuff. His WW pilot scene was the coolest part of that show.

Also, True Detective S2 > Westworld Season 2 (minus the First Nations episode, which was fantastic)

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Vox article on Mahershala Ali, a couple things stood out:

quote:

Next, he’ll be playing the lead character in the long-awaited third season of True Detective, set to debut on January 13. (I’m sworn to secrecy about my opinion, thanks to a review embargo, but I will say that I watched the episodes HBO sent to critics very quickly.) The role, originally written for a white actor, spoke to Ali, and he convinced showrunner Nic Pizzolatto to reconceive the part so he could play it.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
Has anyone seen Galveston? I read the book and it wasn't bad, just a total popcorn book.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Borrowed Ladder posted:

Has anyone seen Galveston? I read the book and it wasn't bad, just a total popcorn book.

Thanks for reminding me! It just hit Redbox this week. I also enjoyed the book, and I was sad the movie never opened in any local theaters. Ben Foster is a really underrated actor, and Lili Reinhardt is easily the best actress on Riverdale, which isn't just damning with faint praise. I am looking forward to it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I should check Galveston out. I remember reading it and picturing Ron Perlman as Roy, much older and grizzled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

In almost every case they give you a way to explain the supernatural stuff, if you're inclined to do so.

One thing that maybe suggests there's more to it than just Rust's synesthesia is the fact that Reggie Ledoux seems to have some sort of vision of the future where Rust is in Carcosa, and he also says something about "black stars" which is similar to what Rust eventually does see when he reaches the inner sanctum. Maybe Rust's specific vision could be said to have been inspired by his memory of what Ledoux said to him(dubious imo), but Ledoux did in fact accurately predict that they'd end up in Carcosa.

I personally interpret the story as having very "real" supernatural elements. The Carcosa cult tapped into something FROM BEYOND and the Yellow King is their representation of that, but the rituals and killings are in fact connected in some way to this entity. Maybe it gives those involved, like Ledoux and Childress, the ability to see through the veneer of our world and into the blackness that Rust described.
Its ever so strange. I feel the radness of True Dicks come from this ambiguity. It could be supernatural but it probably isn't. Its so full of change. Because it could. Think that you've worked it out then bang! You have Rust dropping he has synthesia. Right out of the blue. You are best not to investigate any further. Something happens to you; it piques your interest but like lol at the cluthlu bros. I mean the whole tinges of supernatural is clearly meant to throw you off course/off tilt things so you feel like the detectives feel. If you were investigating spooky murders on the bayou of course it'll feel a lil supernatural and then you'll break down. These guys are on the verge of breaking down the whole time.