Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure everyone just pretends Season 2 doesn't exist now.

Season 2 had some very unique scenes that the world is better off for existing. It would have also been better received if season 1 didn’t exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

El_Elegante posted:

I don’t think they reference season 2 at all, so they?

They did

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
In what way?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Laura Palmer was a survivor of the dadcult

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Chubby Henparty posted:

Laura Palmer was a survivor of the dadcult

Do you think the Pink Room also had a zig-zag floor?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’d kill for a direct reference linking the two series.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I feel like this thread is full of improv as the documentary director who's desperate to unravel a great conspiracy.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

I’d kill for a direct reference linking the two series.

https://youtu.be/zVV0LWIfGwk?t=111

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Despera posted:

"Do you like kids Mr. ?"

"What the fucks the right answer to that?"

I love you nic

I'm only up to episode 2 but this is probably my favorite line I've heard on tv this year.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

Sickening posted:

Season 2 had some very unique scenes that the world is better off for existing. It would have also been better received if season 1 didn’t exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHOGs5x90PU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I guess Nic has an idea for Season 4 he’s really excited about, I wonder what book he just finished reading lol

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can’t decide if I actually liked season 2 in retrospect or what. It was just so odd yet it was different which is my only real complaint about season 3 is it’s similar to season 1.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I for sure like season 2, but it’s got flaws: the central mystery is really poorly paced, Taylor Kitsch’s character doesn’t change over the course of the narrative, and rape as backstory for Rachel Mcadams’ character is not a clever or interesting use of a well worn trope.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I didn't enjoy season 3 at all. So unbelievably boring and ended on an exposition dump to a boring outcome. The constant scenes between Hays and his wife led no where and definitely wasn't what people tuned in to watch.

Season 2 was trash but at least it attempted to be exciting or interesting.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
While more focused than the last season, season 3 was indeed a hot pile of misleading, meandering, albeit well-acted nothing.

The speculation was by far the funnest part of the season, with pretty much every fan theory being more interesting and thoughtful than the actual outcome. It was beyond weird to see the show's creator go to social media to actively shoot down fan theories, which is tantamount to a stadium telling the tailgaters outside of the football game to "gently caress off".

There will always be season 1, but after 2 bum seasons I hope HBO puts a fork in it and funds other projects.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Did people miss all the meandering and ruminating about life in S1? Or do they only remember Rust saying nihilist poo poo, the one-take cutscene, and the showdown?

For people getting into noir: the central mystery doesn't mean poo poo, the macguffins are there to hang a minimal plot on, the red herrings are even more pointless, and the entire deal is to look at characters and relationships. It's literary fiction + crimes.

Though I do think the parlour scene with the flashbacks was dumb and they weighed too heavily on the husband/wife thing without much reason to (we know she stuck around and the kids were safe, etc.).

SaviourX fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 10, 2019

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Imagine reading The Big Sleep or watching Chinatown and saying the plot doesn’t mean poo poo. Thats an incredibly stupid take, first in class really.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

The low key real season 2 for True Detective is Sharp Objects.

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 10, 2019

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
But I thought it was The Night Of?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Did anyone else catch the part where the police lady tells Hays that they faxed over the phone records from Las Vegas, then hands him a stack of green & white lined dot matrix printouts instead?

And apparently no one batted an eye about a dementia patient keeping guns around.

Also Hays's Dad Jeans in the last few 90s scenes were very 90s.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

withak posted:

And apparently no one batted an eye about a dementia patient keeping guns around.

'murica :911:

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

withak posted:

West voiced his concern to Hays’ son.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Same thing, just a different jumping off point. I see the kidnapping as the impetus for the slow-burn disaster since just losing the kid wouldn't have brought about all of that. I do like how there really wasn't a "bad guy" this season (in my interpretation) but that everyone was trying to do, essentially, what they thought was the right thing.

:shrug:

Yeah, I liked that. Especially after the casting was announced and we all thought ~tally ho on bad guy~.

That is certainly one viewing. :shrug:
No bad guys? Except for Hoyt using his influence to stifle the investigation and having his henchmen murder Tom Purcell, Lucy Purcell and Dan O'Brien to cover up the fact that his crazy daughter accidentally killed Will Purcell, which is still 1st degree murder under Arkansas state law, because it happened while kidnapping Julie Purcell. And keeping Julie imprisoned against her will for years. But yeah, no real bad guys.

Harris James murders people for money at the direction of Hoyt. Not a bad guy.

Anyways, moving on.

Hays remembering 'Nam at the end is him either dying or fully losing himself to dementia. Not a happy ending.

Also, I've seen it mentioned a few times in this thread that this incident with the missing kids killed the town. What? Seemed obvious that Hoyt dying of old age and having no heirs to succeed him ruined the town because his company died with him. His mansion was decrepit and held in trust, for no one, because his family all died off too.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
There is no evidence in the text that Hoyt directed any of those killings. It seems clear that Harris James and the Milky eyed man conspired to do so.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4aynXyO1YY

Related to TD S1 and S3 wrt powerful sex slave rings.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Just finished S2 myself. Managed to predict how it would end, but dang, still pretty sad. Is that why people dislike it? It was still some real solid tv.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Eschatos posted:

Just finished S2 myself. Managed to predict how it would end, but dang, still pretty sad. Is that why people dislike it? It was still some real solid tv.

People tend to dislike it for a lot of reasons but mainly because it was such a departure from Season 1 in tone, pacing, and theme. Some of the characters were flat/wooden (Vaughn, Kitsch) and the conspiracy portion of the season was really unimpressive compared to the first season. There were some definite highlights (Farrell and McAdams were both stellar, the firefight scenes were outstanding) but overall the whole thing just seemed rushed and forced.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Midgetskydiver posted:

People tend to dislike it for a lot of reasons but mainly because it was such a departure from Season 1 in tone, pacing, and theme. Some of the characters were flat/wooden (Vaughn, Kitsch) and the conspiracy portion of the season was really unimpressive compared to the first season. There were some definite highlights (Farrell and McAdams were both stellar, the firefight scenes were outstanding) but overall the whole thing just seemed rushed and forced.

There's a couple of scenes where the writing basically makes Vaughn play out something really menacing and effective but for the most part the material doesn't do much for him.

In general I think while Season 1 meandered, the chemisty of Rust and Marty really made it work.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My main problem was they had two awesome things happen (birdman “killing” Collin farrelll) but they did nothing with either.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Vaughn really tanked S2. I was hoping he'd pull it off, because once upon a time he wasn't a lovely, neo-con fuckhead, but apparently he left his talent with whereever he left the rest of his brains.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The only problems I have with S2 are the finale and the terribly handled gay plot

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

El_Elegante posted:

There is no evidence in the text that Hoyt directed any of those killings. It seems clear that Harris James and the Milky eyed man conspired to do so.
Hoyt told Hayes people who wanted to keep Julie quiet would start looking for Julie if Hayes kept looking for her.

Hoyt implies enough to Hayes without saying anything explicit that Hayes knows that Hoyt knows but can’t do anything about it unless he wants to go down himself for killing Harris James and he’ll get Julie killed for his efforts and Hayes whole family will be killed on top of it.

It’s why Hayes quits the force.

How much more obvious does it need to be that Hoyt knew and financed it? Why else would Hoyt threaten to murder Julie and Hayes’s family? Am I being trolled? Or did all that Hoyt innuendo actually go right over your head?

And if you were just being pedantic about wether or not Hoyt explicitly ordered the murders... If you are the financier and head of a criminal conspiracy you are held responsible for the actions of all members during the course of the conspiracy. Including multiple 1st degree murders even if you didn’t explicitly order those murders.

Maybe you’re right, maybe he didn’t explicitly order the murders, but he did know they happened and were happening and threatened more murders if the cops didn’t drop it.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
That's what I concluded as well re: Hoyt. His "do I look like a man who knows what's going on?" is pure bullshit if meant to be literally interpreted as whether or not he's the head of "the conspiracy". Of course he is, and of course he's given carte blanche to his creepy enforcer(s) to do whatever it takes to keep things secret.

In the larger sense of understanding life I think Hoyt was being honest. Despite all his money and power he couldn't keep his own life on track or protect his loved ones from the world. That's why he's guzzling cheap whisky and dressed like a sweaty hobo while riding around in a convoy of black cadillacs. In that sense he is something of a tragic figure.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
For a second there I thought Hoyt was in his hunting gear and he was about to release Hays and hunt him through the woods.

Loved this season! gently caress Westworld - I’d rather have a True Detective World so I could hang out in creepy backwater shitholes, giving mumbling monologues, smoking and drinking.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why did old Hays remind himself that he could always shoot himself back in the first episode? Was he afraid that the chicken plant people would still come kill his kids after all that time?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Die before the dementia gets worse?

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011

El_Elegante posted:

Imagine reading The Big Sleep or watching Chinatown and saying the plot doesn’t mean poo poo. Thats an incredibly stupid take, first in class really.

Not an expert on the genre, but from watching the movies I tend to agree with the other guy's explanation of noirs. The plots are intentionally convoluted with numerous red herrings, and it's pretty much impossible to determine the answer to the "mystery" until exposition dumps at the end. The Third Man comes to mind as an example of this. The Big Sleep had like 3 twists in the very end that couldn't possibly be predicted. In this respect the plot resolutions in TD aren't that different from noirs.

I'd argue character study isn't really the point either though, for me noir is more about tone, mood, atmosphere, and witty dialogue than anything else. The characters are usually pretty stock, with the hard boiled detective and femme fatale in nearly every noir and little focus on character development.

True Detective's noir influence is cool from the atmospheric point of view, but I don't like the idea of the main villain of the show who has never been on screen before (or maybe rarely? can't remember) exposing the entire conspiracy to the detective to conclude the mystery. Note this is exactly what happens in The Third Man. I think maybe they were going with Amelia being a red herring femme fatale with the way she was presented, but that also felt flat when it was pretty clear from present day scenes that their relationship was always going to work out.

denzelcurrypower fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 27, 2019

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

after 2nd viewing i like 3rd season's theme of mindfulness, roland stands in for the audience, pizzolatto is telling us to be present when consuming television, we want meaningful lives, we want every moment to matter (like finding clues)

watching tv could be like getting lost in the jungle or it could be like finding a pathway to enlightenment we have to make the choice

edit i confused wayne with roland, i meant wayne represents the audience

An Apple A Gay fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 2, 2019

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I watched Green Book last night.

Ali is a ridiculously good actor. Like holy poo poo I can’t believe that’s the same guy that played Hays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

An Apple A Gay posted:

after 2nd viewing i like 3rd season's theme of mindfulness, roland stands in for the audience, pizzolatto is telling us to be present when consuming television, we want meaningful lives, we want every moment to matter (like finding clues)

watching tv could be like getting lost in the jungle or it could be like finding a pathway to enlightenment we have to make the choice

there's no choice to be made if you forget to write the enlightenment bit