Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

TheBizzness posted:

I watched Green Book last night.

Ali is a ridiculously good actor. Like holy poo poo I can’t believe that’s the same guy that played Hays.

Now watch Battle Angel Alita.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

The_Doctor posted:

No problem. Jennifer Connelly is in it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The_Doctor posted:

:yeah:

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Finished watching the full series over like two months. Gonna be contrarian here, I think my ranking would be 2 > 1 > 3. S3 was still excellent, but it just felt dragged out. They could have easily told the whole story in five or six episodes.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yikes.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
His post gave me blue balls of the brain.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My extremely hot take is 3 > 2 > 1

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What is even happening

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

What is even happening

Time is a flat circle, it’s happening, did happen and will happen all at once and separately

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

precision posted:

you ask me, the dark's winning

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

precision posted:

i'm projectile vomiting.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
If you think about it, 2 is the only actually good season of TD.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Because season 1 was great and season 3 was very good? I guess that makes sense.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Season 3 sucked. I didn't know so many people liked watching paint dry.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
imo the only indefensible opinion is 2 > 1 > 3

Pretty sure that's an automatic Section 8 right there

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Doltos posted:

Season 3 sucked. I didn't know so many people liked watching paint dry.

Ali and Dourff killed it, so I enjoyed watching it though I do agree the story was lacking.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Season 2 was so different that whatever, if you liked it more than the others so be it, you enjoy what you enjoy.

Season 3> Season 1 is just madness though. Insanity

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Season 2 was so different that whatever, if you liked it more than the others so be it, you enjoy what you enjoy.

Season 3> Season 1 is just madness though. Insanity

Madness?

No...

This...is...

SOMETHING AWFUL

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

precision posted:

imo the only indefensible opinion is 2 > 1 > 3

Pretty sure that's an automatic Section 8 right there

lol

It's pretty much based on how much interesting stuff actually happened during the season, as all three had good characters/actors, and they all got in the mandatory share of brooding noir moments.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Frankly, I'm apoplectic.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 6, 2019

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wonder if Season 2 was the first season if it would’ve been remembered more fondly.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I wonder if there would have been a season 2.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

TheBizzness posted:

Very unlikely, unless HBO was feeling generous.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

TheBizzness posted:

Remember John From Cincinatti? Good times, good times (but not really).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
John From Cincinnati was awesome

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

I came here to semi-resurrect the threat for a particular reason, but I have to detour in case other people haven't taken care of an issue I saw some pages back. (Apologies if someone covered this already, but I'm not reading every last post.) Some people apparently thought James Harris killed Dan the awful cousin. I'll try not to be rude about this but, uh, no, I think not. Tom Purcell killed Dan then James killed Tom. Tom told Dan to give him a reason not to murder him, then off-camera Dan clearly said the word Hoyt then Tom roughly as clearly went ahead and murdered Dan anyway. He didn't seem to be in a forgiving mood, especially what any parent would have thought about the hole in the wall. Motive, means, and opportunity right there.

It's not clear if the people acting for Hoyt (or more likely in his name, see below) even knew if Dan was back, but if they did they failed to track him down when poor, pathetic Tom Purcell easily did. That's even not the best reason it had to be Tom. It's the theme. The theme of this season is how un-planning, un-powerful, and even un-evil the Big Evil Villains are. James wasn't the mastermind, and he killed, I think, just one person. Not only was it not James, it also wasn't Hoyt, who wasn't lying about being in the dark (though to some extent that was willfully in the dark after the fact). It was Junius, who got to be the mastermind by actually being (not pretending!) a servile black man with quite likely no formal education. (Remember, he had that power because Hoyt left him in charge of his household then went off to safaris or whatever.) Irony doesn't have to be regarded as a virtue in writing, but it's heavily pushed and I think well pulled off here. The ending of episode 7 sells Hoyt as a menacing honest-to-God Dr. Claw rip-off, then he turns out to be a 75% clueless, pathetic drunk, quite like much of the rest of the cast. Actual mastermind Junius hits the pathetically tragic button too of course, especially in that great moment when he tips his hand he's acquired a great education in psychology--albeit far too late--by saying "break," instead of "breakdown."

Anyway, I came here looking for people's thoughts on what the very last scene (jungle flashback) meant. I don't mean anything plot-related, because I don't think it meant anything to the plot. I took it as at least showing how Hays (or Haze, since this is a show that basically names the darkest most broken down character Rust Coal) ends up trapped in his own palace of memory, constantly pulled back to the worst. Maybe something about how he's drawn back to memories of tracking, pursuing something it's not in his interest or really his fight to find. Most importantly I feel like I'm missing something important (symbolism-wise, not plot-wise) with the last scene.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I felt the last scene was him disappearing into his own mind for what would probably be a lengthy period of dementia. Just like back in 'Nam, where as far as everybody else was concerned his recon patrols were him disappearing into the jungle and not appearing again for days or weeks. His moments of lucidity are going to be fewer and further between. There's a scene earlier in the season where shadowy Vietcong figures surround him while he's desperately trying to keep everything together so he can work his way through the case, and spotting the car outside causes them to leave because it engages his mind enough that he comes back to clarity. By the last scene, even the shot of the kids racing down the street having fun in an obvious parallel to the Purcell kids aren't enough to stop him from disappearing into the dark again in his own mind.

That's my take, anyway. Good season, it didn't really hit any highs but it didn't hit any real lows either, it just retained a pretty strong quality throughout aided by some great performances by Ali and Dorff (the latter I never knew had it in him).

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Onomarchus posted:

I came here to semi-resurrect the threat for a particular reason, but I have to detour in case other people haven't taken care of an issue I saw some pages back. (Apologies if someone covered this already, but I'm not reading every last post.) Some people apparently thought James Harris killed Dan the awful cousin. I'll try not to be rude about this but, uh, no, I think not. Tom Purcell killed Dan then James killed Tom. Tom told Dan to give him a reason not to murder him, then off-camera Dan clearly said the word Hoyt then Tom roughly as clearly went ahead and murdered Dan anyway. He didn't seem to be in a forgiving mood, especially what any parent would have thought about the hole in the wall. Motive, means, and opportunity right there.

It's not clear if the people acting for Hoyt (or more likely in his name, see below) even knew if Dan was back, but if they did they failed to track him down when poor, pathetic Tom Purcell easily did. That's even not the best reason it had to be Tom. It's the theme. The theme of this season is how un-planning, un-powerful, and even un-evil the Big Evil Villains are. James wasn't the mastermind, and he killed, I think, just one person. Not only was it not James, it also wasn't Hoyt, who wasn't lying about being in the dark (though to some extent that was willfully in the dark after the fact). It was Junius, who got to be the mastermind by actually being (not pretending!) a servile black man with quite likely no formal education. (Remember, he had that power because Hoyt left him in charge of his household then went off to safaris or whatever.) Irony doesn't have to be regarded as a virtue in writing, but it's heavily pushed and I think well pulled off here. The ending of episode 7 sells Hoyt as a menacing honest-to-God Dr. Claw rip-off, then he turns out to be a 75% clueless, pathetic drunk, quite like much of the rest of the cast. Actual mastermind Junius hits the pathetically tragic button too of course, especially in that great moment when he tips his hand he's acquired a great education in psychology--albeit far too late--by saying "break," instead of "breakdown."

Anyway, I came here looking for people's thoughts on what the very last scene (jungle flashback) meant. I don't mean anything plot-related, because I don't think it meant anything to the plot. I took it as at least showing how Hays (or Haze, since this is a show that basically names the darkest most broken down character Rust Coal) ends up trapped in his own palace of memory, constantly pulled back to the worst. Maybe something about how he's drawn back to memories of tracking, pursuing something it's not in his interest or really his fight to find. Most importantly I feel like I'm missing something important (symbolism-wise, not plot-wise) with the last scene.

Wasn’t the cousin’s body found in a flooded quarry? It seems pretty likely that James killed him and disposed of the body, perhaps first learning from him that Scoot was on the way, as the door to the apartment was open.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
I just finished season 3 and I'm having a difficult time trying to decide if I liked it better than season 1. I really enjoyed both.

I think I gave up on Season 2 on like the second episode. Not because I didn't enjoy it, I didn't really give it a fair shake. I think I might go back and try to give it a full watch through.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ali & Dorff are better actors than Matt and Woody

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
They’re all pretty great, why you trying to start trouble?

Ali is probably the best of the lot though, and that’s coming from someone who loves Matty Mac to a ridiculous degree.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bust Rodd posted:

Ali & Dorff are better actors than Matt and Woody

Exponentially better, even

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m not trying to start trouble I just think it’s one thing I can say is that S3 has better leads who are genuinely more likable than Rust & Marty

I liked this season fine but it lacked the gripping and provocative imagery of S1 that really sold it for me. A bunch of slow shots of dilapidated country town houses doesn’t fill me with the same existential dread as swamplands and antlers.

I liked the ending. Amelia was a great character and a strong woman and I found her really challenging to enjoy but really liked her role in the show. All the dogs are very good.

I think I’m gonna watch S2 now that I have the good seasons wrapped up. Just because i like Vince Vaughn (or I used to anyway)

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Onomarchus posted:

Wasn't Dan's body found in, like, another state entirely, in a flooded quarry, at that?

It seems unlikely that Tom would've taken the time to transport Dan/Dan's body across state lines, carefully disposing of it in a time-intensive and careful manner...THEN gone to the Hoyt mansion while dressed in the same clothes he'd had when confronting Dan and clearly in a fairly manic and impatient state?

Seems more likely that Tom got the info, went straight to the Hoyt mansion, James took care of him, then went and found Dan (who was likely too concussed and beaten-up to be ready to go anywhere too fast, thus still at the motel), and took care of him, too. Given that they seemed to be monitoring the detectives' movements, including their run-in with Dan, he would've probably already been on their radar when Tom suddenly showed up, getting at him wouldn't be too tough/a logical leap for an ex-detective like James.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I vote for Tom hardy and Channing Tatum for season 4.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MarcusSA posted:

I vote for Tom hardy and Channing Tatum for season 4.

:hmmyes:

Alternately, Terry O'Quinn and Christopher Meloni

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Tom Hardy would be incredible.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Taraji Henson & Tom Hardy would be my dream team

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

Morgan Freeman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Morgan Freeman and Samuel L. Jackson in the deep south busting up Klan rings involved in the supernatural.