Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Very much looking forward to this, lotta promise. Season 1 is one of the few seasons I've rewatched, shown a friend etc, a great candidate for best season of TV ever for me. That and the recent Twin Peaks, freakin' great.

I am apoplectic waiting for this season, and I like mowing my lawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm looking forward to it, but you never know. The dialogue isn't my main issue with his writing in season 2, reviews mention stuff like "not even eating" etc, but those kind of lines don't bother me. Just that the story wasn't that interesting to me, and I didn't care about the characters much. I guess the writing overall in season 2. Just felt a bit directionless, where as the first season was absurdly tight and sharp. Though I didn't hate season 2.

From the glimpses we get here, I think the leading guy will give a great performance, and I'll care about him etc, and it seems intriguing stuff may happen. So probably a step up from season 2, and still a good bit of noir etc, not sure what the scoop is with the voice (his lady?) saying "finish him", interesting choice to include. The vibe they're giving there makes it sound like things may be messier than we expect.

Just seeing grim looking people in suits, hey, that's always cool. I suspect I'll enjoy watching it, whether I ultimately dig where it goes, well that's a coin toss.

How about some crime TV recommendations in here, that cool? Anybody see The Shadow Line? I came across that recently, may check it out. Been digging on Miami Vice lately. I enjoyed The Wire and The Shield, been meaning to check out Homicide and NYPD Blue, also Crime Story, have only seen a bit of those. And NYPD Blue's David Milch co-wrote an episode of this True Detective season they say.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on, will do. Shadow Line is just available to buy on amazon, looks interesting though.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I like mowing my lawn. Best lawn related scene in film history.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Elman posted:

Marshland (La Isla Mínima) is a Spanish movie that came out shortly after True Detective and it feels very thematically similar (some people actually thought it plagiarized TD, even though filming began before the show came out). It's worth a watch.

Right on, I'll add that to the ol' watch list, thanks.

Danger posted:

While the interplay with the characters was a high point, the secret ingredient to season 1 was undoubtedly Fukunaga who elevated both the characters and the overwrought scripts to something mystifying. No way would season 1 be remembered as anything but silly without him. Saulnier is a great choice for season 3 but he leaves after the second episode and the reviews I’ve read specifically note the lack of visual interest or missed potential because of this, while praising the lead.

No doubt he brought a ton to the table. But I do think all the elements are strong enough, that any solid TV director could've done well with that script and cast. Take say that guy John Dahl, I'm sure that season would've been good with him having done it too. I doubt it'd be remembered as silly. Maybe not quite the masterpiece it was though.

Take Luther, and I find a lot of British shows in general, sometimes have a somewhat flat unremarkable feel to the direction. But stand out because of the great scripts and performances anyway. Not to throw whoever directs Luther under the bus, it's a great show. I just imagine True Detective season 1 without a notable director being at least as good as Luther for example.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Without catching up on the thread yet, just gotta say those first two episodes are excellent. Really grabs you, for me this show is right back on top baby! Can't wait to see how this season plays out.