Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

I came here to semi-resurrect the threat for a particular reason, but I have to detour in case other people haven't taken care of an issue I saw some pages back. (Apologies if someone covered this already, but I'm not reading every last post.) Some people apparently thought James Harris killed Dan the awful cousin. I'll try not to be rude about this but, uh, no, I think not. Tom Purcell killed Dan then James killed Tom. Tom told Dan to give him a reason not to murder him, then off-camera Dan clearly said the word Hoyt then Tom roughly as clearly went ahead and murdered Dan anyway. He didn't seem to be in a forgiving mood, especially what any parent would have thought about the hole in the wall. Motive, means, and opportunity right there.

It's not clear if the people acting for Hoyt (or more likely in his name, see below) even knew if Dan was back, but if they did they failed to track him down when poor, pathetic Tom Purcell easily did. That's even not the best reason it had to be Tom. It's the theme. The theme of this season is how un-planning, un-powerful, and even un-evil the Big Evil Villains are. James wasn't the mastermind, and he killed, I think, just one person. Not only was it not James, it also wasn't Hoyt, who wasn't lying about being in the dark (though to some extent that was willfully in the dark after the fact). It was Junius, who got to be the mastermind by actually being (not pretending!) a servile black man with quite likely no formal education. (Remember, he had that power because Hoyt left him in charge of his household then went off to safaris or whatever.) Irony doesn't have to be regarded as a virtue in writing, but it's heavily pushed and I think well pulled off here. The ending of episode 7 sells Hoyt as a menacing honest-to-God Dr. Claw rip-off, then he turns out to be a 75% clueless, pathetic drunk, quite like much of the rest of the cast. Actual mastermind Junius hits the pathetically tragic button too of course, especially in that great moment when he tips his hand he's acquired a great education in psychology--albeit far too late--by saying "break," instead of "breakdown."

Anyway, I came here looking for people's thoughts on what the very last scene (jungle flashback) meant. I don't mean anything plot-related, because I don't think it meant anything to the plot. I took it as at least showing how Hays (or Haze, since this is a show that basically names the darkest most broken down character Rust Coal) ends up trapped in his own palace of memory, constantly pulled back to the worst. Maybe something about how he's drawn back to memories of tracking, pursuing something it's not in his interest or really his fight to find. Most importantly I feel like I'm missing something important (symbolism-wise, not plot-wise) with the last scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU