Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Fahoo fores dahoo dores,
Welcome Christmas, Christmas thread

I really like numbing the pain of seasonal depression with all types of holiday movies, from the classics, to personal favorites, to Hallmark movies as sugary sweet as those garrishly colorful non-peppermint candy canes.

This thread is for all of the holidays: Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukkah, New Year's, Kwanzaa, Festivus, etc. So everyone, feel welcome and post about all the obscure direct-to-VHS films your grandma bought you for Christmas from the Christian book store. Grab a hot tottie, a mug of cocoa, or your favorite seasonal beer or cider, and cozy up next to the hot takes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 2, 2019

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Personally, I’d love to learn about some good, non-cynical Christmas movies. The only ones I really know of are like, A Christmas Story and Planes, Trains and Automobiles. I think it’s hard to make a Christmas movie that walks the line and avoids being either cynically detached or just offputtingly treacly.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Anonymous Robot posted:

Personally, I’d love to learn about some good, non-cynical Christmas movies. The only ones I really know of are like, A Christmas Story and Planes, Trains and Automobiles. I think it’s hard to make a Christmas movie that walks the line and avoids being either cynically detached or just offputtingly treacly.

Do you consider Christmas Vacation to be cynical? Or is that too obvious, like Home Alone 2 and Miracle on 34th Street?

While it's not as good as it's Halloween counterpart, I like Ernest Saves Christmas enough.

Fun Fact, but I've never seen It's A Wonderful Life. That's the big one I'm making sure to finally watch this holiday season.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

It’s a Wonderful Life is definitely not cynical, and it’s a fantastic movie.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Some of my favorites to watch at Christmas time are The Snowman, the '71 A Christmas Carol, and Mickey's Christmas Carol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A3THighARU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTzyC9CZuOA

Also, Merry Christmas Mr. Bean :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2UCRNldC3s

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Muppet Christmas Carol rips

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I pretty much always watch Christmas Vacation, Home Alone, Love Actually and It’s a Wonderful Life. I’ve watched Jingle All the Way for the past few years as well.

My wife loves those Hallmark movies. She’s already recorded over 20 so far this year and she doesn’t plan on watching them until December 1.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Growing up my family had a tradition of watching the 1951 version of Scrooge with Alastair Sim every Christmas Eve. I think USA or some other basic cable station showed it. So that one holds a special place in my heart.

And of course A Christmas Story is an absolute masterpiece of childhood nostalgia.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Franchescanado posted:

Do you consider Christmas Vacation to be cynical? Or is that too obvious, like Home Alone 2 and Miracle on 34th Street?

I don't think I'd call Christmas Vacation cynical. Clark is very focused on the "right" parts of Christmas (love, togetherness, giving) and he ends up getting all of that by the end, even if a lot of things get hosed up along the way.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

This too but I remember Michael Caine's singing being...not great.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 25, 2018

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I’ve watched Jingle All the Way for the past few years as well.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again Jingle all the way is severely underrated.

Last year saw the release of Daddy’s home 2 which I’m adding to my watch list even if it’s only for John Cena’s obsession with Band-Aid.

Christmas horror is a good way to go, there’s classics like Black Christmas and Christmas Evil (seriously watch this movie) but I’ve also got a soft spot for Santa’s Slay.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It's a flawed movie, but Jingle All The Way is worth it for every Phil Hartman scene alone. He is so funny in that movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jingle All The Way captures Christmas pretty well. Wish more of them would delve into the consumerism aspect of it all.

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

whatevz fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 25, 2022

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Would you say that it’s an earnest holiday movie

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I watched that Netflix Kurt Russell Santa movie and I'm here to say the hat thing was really weird.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
There's a recent stupid controversy involving the stop-motion classic Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer.

Basically people are (jokingly) pointing out that Rudolph's message is incredibly problematic. Rudolph is only considered valuable once he proves his handicap is actually valuable and profitable for those around him. Donnor doesn't love his son because he is an embarrassment because he doesn't fit societal rules. There's an island for toys ostracized because they don't meet the status quo. The miner turns the abominable snowman into a eunuch.

Which made me think of a fun discussion:

What Christmas or Holiday movie has the best morality message in the year 2018? What other classics have terrible messages?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I know you haven’t seen Its a Wonderful Life but I imagine you probably know of it’s premise through cultural osmosis, and I feel it’s message still holds up. It demonstrates that the good actions of an individual make society better as a whole, and I feel that remains an inspiring message.

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

It does, but it's hard for me to watch because Christmas is the only time of the year when my sperm donor wasn't beating the poo poo out of me, and he loving loved that movie. I'm generally a sobbing mess about two minutes into it. When I split from my ex, that was one of the DVDs I explicitly made sure not to take.

Edit: And I'm pretty sure if I watched the "When Love is Gone" sequence after everything that's happened this year, I'd wind up jumping off my balcony. :suicide:

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I know you haven’t seen Its a Wonderful Life but I imagine you probably know of it’s premise through cultural osmosis, and I feel it’s message still holds up. It demonstrates that the good actions of an individual make society better as a whole, and I feel that remains an inspiring message.

It's a Wonderful Life is an excellent movie--if a bit overlong--and, yeah, its message is clean and rad and powerful.

Timby fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Nov 30, 2018

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I'd add Scrooged, George C. Scott's and Patrick Stewart's Christmas Carols but Muppets is absolutely the bomb.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I agree and if you can let go of all the parodies and cynical hot takes it's still a great movie, much like other old classics that have been thoroughly wrought through the pop culture wringer.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I watch Kiss Kiss Bang Bang every year too. Heck any Shane Black joint honestly.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

I watched Christmas Chronicles the other night and it’s pretty good. It draws heavy inspiration from Elf and other movies where Santa is powered by the Christmas spirit but manages to come off as fairly unique by the end. It reminded me a lot of Adventures in Babysitting as well. Kurt Russell is a good Santa and the movie leans into the cheesy side of things.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

I’m pretty sure the underlying message of The Year Without a Santa Claus is “powerful men can’t be counted on to do a drat thing.” Women are the only competent characters in the film. Not sure that’s exactly the lesson that resonates in 2018, but it shows that we haven’t moved very far in the intervening years.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I watched the Christmas Prince movie last night. At first I was a little bit astonished by how bland the prince looked but then I remembered how IRL royals look, i.e. like gap-toothed Home Depot shoppers and then the surprise wore off. A thoroughly forgettable movie. I will probably watch the sequel soon as it just came out a few days ago.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Doc Fission posted:

I watched the Christmas Prince movie last night. At first I was a little bit astonished by how bland the prince looked but then I remembered how IRL royals look, i.e. like gap-toothed Home Depot shoppers and then the surprise wore off. A thoroughly forgettable movie. I will probably watch the sequel soon as it just came out a few days ago.

I remember A Christmas Prince mostly because of Rose McIver, who stars in the criminally underrated (at least for the first couple seasons) iZombie.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I've been saving Remember the Night which looks good.

I haven't seen It's a Wonderful Life either

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

BTW, I am looking forward to what you all suggest for a good watch in theaters the day of. My parents have a habit of picking the absolute worst possible movie to see on Christmas, and my brother and I are planning a mutiny. I poo poo you not, we saw both Nebraska and Somewhere on Christmas Day.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I remember I watched Keanu Reeves' 47 Ronin in theatres with my sister one Christmas. I wasn't prepared for how poo poo and boring it was. And I like Keanu.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

George C. Scott's Christmas Carol is my favourite version. Scott himself is fantastic in the role. It's also the best portrayal of Marley I've seen. Can't be easy to chew the scenery so fiercely without it being comical but Frank Finlay pulled it off.
Great performances all round. I still tear up when Bob Cratchet is grieving

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I just rewatched Elf at the local indie.

It’s 2/3rds of a great comedy, arguably Favreau’s finest work.

Then there’s the weird turn with Buddy’s dad that introduces the third act, where he joins his son in looking for Buddy. It’s jarring, like there was more to the turn rather than his quiet pontificating in the office before throwing away his career.

Then the film drops all comedy and becomes saccharine as hell. It works on me—it plays me like a fiddle—but it still feels unearned and cheap in the end.

It makes me wish Favreau would do another comedy as whimsical as the first two acts of Elf. The timing and Ferrell’s physical comedy is charming and gets me every time. His man-child elf really emphasizes his comedic chops. It’s easily the top role he’ll be remembered for.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

bitterandtwisted posted:

George C. Scott's Christmas Carol is my favourite version. Scott himself is fantastic in the role. It's also the best portrayal of Marley I've seen. Can't be easy to chew the scenery so fiercely without it being comical but Frank Finlay pulled it off.
Great performances all round. I still tear up when Bob Cratchet is grieving

Every time I see that movie I think that Christmas Present is a very young Michael Caine with a beard and every time I have to remind myself that it isn't.

hathfallen
Dec 22, 2003
Saw Anna and the Apocolypse last night and I quite enjoyed it ... but I really wish the musical numbers had a bit more polish to them. I mean I'm not expecting La La Land but too much of the lyrics and choreography was off just enough to pull me out of the mood.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6kHN92Yv48

Watching The Junky's Christmas is a tradition for me this time of year.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

I’ve been watching a bunch of Christmas specials on YouTube today and I’m on the Star Wars holiday special now and I’m awestruck at how bad this is. I was hoping it would be “good bad” but it’s “bad bad.” Like really loving bad. The main cast is all there but they sure as hell don’t seem to want to be. The costuming of the Wookiees is terrible and the musical acts and sketches are unbearable. I’m going to gut this out and finish it but I really don’t recommend watching this unless you’re a Star Wars completionist.

I also watched the Muppet Family Christmas special. This is from 1987 and was a staple of my childhood. The CBC only aired it for about 4 or 5 years after it aired but I had it taped on VHS and watched it every year. It’s on YouTube in good quality. It’s most notable for featuring the Muppets, Sesame Street, and Fraggle Rock characters interacting with each other. There’s also a short part with the muppets babies. It’s genuinely good and funny, if a little too saccharine at times.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

I’ve seen the Star Wars holiday special like 4 times because I’m a horrible person.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Well, if you wanted to watch Home Alone but with dogs, Asylum’s got Alone For Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I got two on my playlist: Rare Exports and Hogfather