Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

My favorite Christmas movie is The Lion in Winter because it's two and a half hours of nonstop vicious family bickering with a Christmas tree in the background.

Just like real Christmas!

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Apparently cannibalism or at least eating other sentient species is a thing in Mickey's Christmas Carol.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I watched Christmas Chronicles the other night and it’s pretty good. It draws heavy inspiration from Elf and other movies where Santa is powered by the Christmas spirit but manages to come off as fairly unique by the end. It reminded me a lot of Adventures in Babysitting as well. Kurt Russell is a good Santa and the movie leans into the cheesy side of things.

It felt very similar to The Santa Clause to me. Not particularly good, but watchable. The elves were weird and creepy though.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Dial Code Santa Claus is an amazing Christmas movie.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

I just rewatched Elf at the local indie.

It’s 2/3rds of a great comedy, arguably Favreau’s finest work.

Then there’s the weird turn with Buddy’s dad that introduces the third act, where he joins his son in looking for Buddy. It’s jarring, like there was more to the turn rather than his quiet pontificating in the office before throwing away his career.

Then the film drops all comedy and becomes saccharine as hell. It works on me—it plays me like a fiddle—but it still feels unearned and cheap in the end.

It makes me wish Favreau would do another comedy as whimsical as the first two acts of Elf. The timing and Ferrell’s physical comedy is charming and gets me every time. His man-child elf really emphasizes his comedic chops. It’s easily the top role he’ll be remembered for.

I came in here to post this! The first two acts are hilarious, but the third act comes on so abruptly and doesn't fit the tone of the rest of the movie. A better ending would've involved Buddy's family growing together more naturally, and Santa getting the Christmas-o-meter or whatever up because of the Christmas cheer that Buddy was spreading instead of Santa just showing up and being in peril. I know the whole movie is Bob Newhart telling us a story, but the third act feels like the writers telling us a phoned-in ending through the news anchors.

Socialized
Oct 27, 2010
I watched The Man Who Invented Christmas, about Charles Dickens writing A Christmas Carol, and thought it was pretty good.

On a side note, did anyone see the movie about Dickens starring Ralph Fiennes? It’s pretty weird.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

OWLS! posted:

I got two on my playlist: Rare Exports and Hogfather

Rare exports is great fun.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I try to watch Christmas movies I have never seen before each December. I have come to the conclusion that 99% of Christmas movies are terrible, but I still keep coming back to them. That's why it's a delight when there's a good one.

I watched Four Christmases and it's amazing that film was able to get as much talent as it did. It was so bad.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

My wife and I went to see Its A Wonderful Life at a local theater just after Christmas--she had never actually seen it, just bits and pieces on TV; and it had been a long time since I watched it all the way through. It's easy to forget just how good it really is.

I wish she liked A Christmas Story, though. I love it, she hates it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Meaty Ore posted:

My wife and I went to see Its A Wonderful Life at a local theater just after Christmas--she had never actually seen it, just bits and pieces on TV; and it had been a long time since I watched it all the way through. It's easy to forget just how good it really is.

I wish she liked A Christmas Story, though. I love it, she hates it.

Earlier this week I went down the Jean Shepherd rabbit hole. I watched It Runs In the Family (aka My Summer Story), the direct sequel to Christmas Story. It's really bad. The only good part is when Charles Grodin totally loses his poo poo because of the neighbors.

I also tracked down the tv movies based on his writings. These aired on PBS (one aired on Disney too) from the 70's through the late 80's. They aren't great at all except for the fireworks story.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

twerking on the railroad posted:

Rare exports is great fun.

Hogfather isn't.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Scrooged is good even if it goes off the rails during the cocaine-fueled speech at the end

The Man Who Invented Christmas was pretty good too

Die Hard isn't really about xmas but cmon you gotta include it

As a kid I always watched the California Raisins Christmas, most other xmas specials sucked (anyone else remember the Opus one? Lmao. Or SantaBear?)

Charlie Brown xmas isnt great but the soundtrack owns and the scene when they fix up the tree always gets to me

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

When I was growing up I thought A Charlie Brown Christmas was embarrassingly saccharine, but as I get older I've really come to appreciate its earnestness and charm (and great soundtrack, yeah). And it's probably one of the only Christmas movies that quotes the Bible and feels completely sincere and kind-hearted about the sentiment.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Do MST3K'ed films count? Cause I watch Santa Claus Conquers the Martians every year and I will never tire of it.

"Santa Claus: Killed in Vietnam"

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Elf will forever be a favourite. Also the original Grinch cartoon is one I try to watch every year. If we're counting Christmas adjacent films then I really like Batman Returns because it was the first Batman film I owned so I watched it about a zillion times. I am also a shameless supporter of Hallmark-esque Christmas films despite the fact they are all more-or-less the same.

Does anyone remember Dinner At Fred's? I caught it once on cable years ago but don't remember much other than finding it funny. Can't seem to find it anywhere or stream it, at least in Canada.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Don't forget to watch Gremlins this holiday season. Also Gremlins 2, even though it has nothing to do with Christmas; just because it's Gremlins 2.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Meaty Ore posted:

Don't forget to watch Gremlins this holiday season. Also Gremlins 2, even though it has nothing to do with Christmas; just because it's Gremlins 2.

I like you.....

Essential festive viewing for me is Jingle all the way, Surviving Christmas,National Lampoons and Christmas Evil.

The latter of which I’ve just ordered a sexy new blu-ray of.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

got any sevens posted:

As a kid I always watched the California Raisins Christmas, most other xmas specials sucked (anyone else remember the Opus one? Lmao. Or SantaBear?)
I was obsessed with Santa Bear a few years ago and forced all my friends to watch it. There is just something weird and off about it, specifically the John Malkovich voiced Santa Claus.

meat glitter
Nov 12, 2019

Franchescanado posted:

There's a recent stupid controversy involving the stop-motion classic Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer.

Basically people are (jokingly) pointing out that Rudolph's message is incredibly problematic. Rudolph is only considered valuable once he proves his handicap is actually valuable and profitable for those around him. Donnor doesn't love his son because he is an embarrassment because he doesn't fit societal rules. There's an island for toys ostracized because they don't meet the status quo. The miner turns the abominable snowman into a eunuch.

Which made me think of a fun discussion:

What Christmas or Holiday movie has the best morality message in the year 2018? What other classics have terrible messages?

PRANCER is my favorite holiday movie.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I'm so happy this thread is stickied! Happy holiday movie season, everyone! It was very weird to see my posts on the first page!

My favorite holiday movie is Olive, the Other Reindeer which is a bitch to find IRL. It's cute and the songs are good. I am also one of those people who watches Die Hard and Die Hard 2 on the holidays.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

ChickenHeart posted:

Do MST3K'ed films count? Cause I watch Santa Claus Conquers the Martians every year and I will never tire of it.

"Santa Claus: Killed in Vietnam"

Totally they do.

NO LUPETA!

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

It’s a Wonderful Life is definitely not cynical, and it’s a fantastic movie.

Didja know it flopped hard when it came out? It killed the indie studio that made it...

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Its a Wonderful Life *****
A Christmas Story ****1/2
Elf ***
Christmas Vacation ****
Scrooged ***1/2
Home Alone ***1/2
Love Actually ***

I will watch all of them but Love Actually every year.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
1982's animated short The Snowman.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084701/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

I remember watching it as a young child on the couch with my parents. Always crying near the end.
I long lost it, but always rememberd watching something magical every christmas as a child with a flying snowman.
About three years ago I decided to track it down, as my eldest was 5 at the time and I would like to watch it with him (and my younger daughter). Three years later, we watch it every christmas morning together. My kids find it adorable and tear up at the end. It all comes together so perfectly for me that I usually sit there with teary eyes with them, having fond memories etc.
Then we go out for a walk, play some boardgames and enjoy the days. It's become a bit of tradition now and gets rid of the melancholic feelings surrounding christmas for me.

The movie still holds up extremely well. The music is fantastic and the drawn style never loses its magic to me.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I rewatched Die Hard with the family last night and it's as good as I remember. I had forgotten that it takes place on Christmas Eve and that it uses sleigh bells throughout the soundtrack.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I watched Batman Returns last night at this thread's recommendation. Tim Burton's influence is super strong through this film, and it feels pretty cheesy nowadays, but it was a lot of fun overall. I was surprised by the level of violence in it; a couple of the killings were more gruesome than I was expecting (e.g. Catwoman stabbing a would-be rapist through the eyes).

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth
If you guys are into awful Hallmark style Christmas movies, I really recommend The Knight Before Christmas. A ridiculous premise where a knight from the 12th century is sent to the future by an old crone to fulfill his destiny and pretty immediately figures out cars and Alexa.

Another great garbage movie is The Spirit of Christmas, where a sexy hipster ghost from the Prohibition era turns solid for 12 days a year so he can find love again. Ghosts! Drama! Victorian clothing when it’s supposed to be the 20s! An ending that leaves nothing but questions! It has it all!

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
A Christmas Story is total white boomer garbage

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

whydirt posted:

But if you can get past that it owns

I want a lesbian xmas

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I feel like there should be more movies like Jingle All the Way

whydirt posted:

Welcome to the holiday movie thread

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Step Brothers has a Christmas scene, so I consider it a Christmas movie. However, that's mostly just as an excuse to watch Step Brothers.

Alan Smithee posted:

I feel like there should be more movies like Jingle All the Way

It's an underrated Christmas film, and really harnessed Jake Lloyd's "annoying kid" quality.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The BBC / FX has a dark Gothic version of A Christmas Carol coming out on the 19th. Starring Guy Pearce as Scrooge, Andy Serkis as the Ghost of Christmas Past, and Tom Hardy as someone not yet announced. Now I like to keep Christmas weird and spooky, but making him a sexual harasser seems to me to be a bit too much. It's supposed to be a redemption story, and that makes it a much harder sell. I guess Rutger Hauer was cast as the Ghost of Christmas Future, but it became clear that he was too sick to do his scenes and had to be replaced, so that sucks.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

A Christmas Story always made me feel weird, uncomfortable and gross but not in a fun way.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I was in the mood to rewatch The Long Kiss Goodnight and I didn't remember that it's a Christmas movie but it totally is. Would make a great action double feature with Die Hard. It's on Netflix this month too.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

I was in the mood to rewatch The Long Kiss Goodnight and I didn't remember that it's a Christmas movie but it totally is.

Written by Shane Black, so yeah!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

A Christmas Story always made me feel weird, uncomfortable and gross but not in a fun way.

In that sense it’s the perfect snapshot of middle America.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Silent Night Deadly Night, Christmas Evil, and Gingerdead Man are pretty well known around these parts so here’s a few under appreciated movie trailers I wanted to share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCptc2p2BJM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLo795JFfpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG6nb2immjo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IKUrm_EbP8

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Casimir Radon posted:

The BBC / FX has a dark Gothic version of A Christmas Carol coming out on the 19th. Starring Guy Pearce as Scrooge, Andy Serkis as the Ghost of Christmas Past, and Tom Hardy as someone not yet announced. Now I like to keep Christmas weird and spooky, but making him a sexual harasser seems to me to be a bit too much. It's supposed to be a redemption story, and that makes it a much harder sell. I guess Rutger Hauer was cast as the Ghost of Christmas Future, but it became clear that he was too sick to do his scenes and had to be replaced, so that sucks.

*Pantomimes tears down cheek in snowstorm*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
If you can find it--I think Hallmark has it--I highly recommend the Angela Lansbury musical Mrs. Santa Claus. My wife and I watched it on a lark a few years ago because I remembered it from my childhood, and man is it good! It's become a yearly tradition.

It's about Mrs. Santa Claus coming up with a new path for Santa, trying it out, and getting stuck in early 20th Century New York. While there, the following things happen:

-She leads a labor strike
-She helps change child labor laws in New York City
-She teaches a cop about communities having trauma regarding police and the importance of community outreach
-She teaches a suffragette about intersectionality in feminism and leads a march for suffrage
-She learns about Hanukkah!

High recommend