Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Justin Godscock posted:

$122.50 plus tip for 10 pizzas, that's insane for 1990.

I don't remember what pizza cost back then, but $12.25 per pizza doesn't seem wrong to me given that they all had multiple toppings on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah I remember regular menu price for pizza was always a lot more than if you had a coupon or deal.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I got Monty Python abd the Holy Grail for christmas when I was about seven and we all watched it that night. Therefore, the best christmas movie of them all

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

has this already been posted?

https://youtu.be/y2IDILXUE-k

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It sounded like the trailer was better than the full thing, a shame.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

It sounded like the trailer was better than the full thing, a shame.

I heard the first 30-45 minutes were enjoyable ala the trailer but it doesn’t lean hard enough into the parody angle. Trailer was fun but I feel like a younger John Goodman would’ve been perfect for that role in an actually good parody

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Dolly Parton's Christmas in the Square is a pretty corny time.

Other notes about Dolly Parton's Christmas in the square:

-the one guy playing the dad of the little girl who almost dies in the movie is really loving going for it way beyond the scope of Dolly Parton's Christmas in the Square.
--You learn a very minor character in the film is an angel in training like an hour in and that becomes kind of what the movie is about for a bit.
--You think it's going to be A Christmas Carol, but it is in fact a complex tale of broken hearts, sex, and lost parentage
--The person who knocked up our protagonist when she was at a high school dance apparently moved onto other towns? So, he's a drifter who just crashes high school dances?
--Dolly Parton absolutely faked the brain tumor, but did she also run over the little girl?
--What's really weird about the movie is that when you look at the pure plot, it's like a deconstruction of the Hallmark--cold and callous person comes back to their small town to learn the true meaning of Christmas story. You find out that the cherished hero of the town actually did do something awful and the toxic insular culture of the town really did hurt the film's scrooge like figure. But the movie is filmed on a sound stage and is cast with touring company quality actors for the most part. So it never really sticks the landing.
--In the general store, the bulk candy is being sold at $0.01 per candy instead of by the pound. Is the guy counting the candy? I know this seems petty, but like... has nobody on set actually bought bulk candy? It's like folks who have seen old postcards with glass containers of candy and sort of reversed engineered in their minds how you could possibly sell them.
--Dolly Parton is dressed like a homeless person but like in Skyrim
--The cheapness of the film is actually effective at times. It looks like a Lenox Christmas village come to life, but it settles to more generic Hallmark/Netflix cheapness.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I finished the last few Christmas movies for my year - I never get time to watch any on actual Christmas Day.

The Nightmare Before Christmas - Apart from "What's This", I was never that enamoured by this movie, although I can appreciate the creativity that went into it. I watched it again this year because I'm watching all of Tim Burton's movies (including ones he didn't direct, like this one) in order. This time I watched it with the audio commentary, which was fairly nifty. Danny Elfman is the most interesting person featured on that commentary.

Emmett Otter's Jugband Christmas - A TV special, not a movie. A very cute Muppets-adjacent Christmas musical set in the muppet version of, I dunno, Florida or Louisiana? Loaded with pathos (the plot goes through a fairly routine Gift-of-the-Magi-like tragedy of errors) but with an uplifting ending. The songs were actually really good. I heard Brett McKenzie from Flight of the Conchords is working on a reboot of this?

The Holiday - A super sappy romantic comedy that honestly is barely worth remembering. It was pleasantly dull and Christmassy. The best parts were the fake movie trailers within the film.

Holiday Inn - A light and fluffy 1940s musical, fun enough to put on in the background on the morning of Christmas Eve. Unfortunately it features a shockingly awful blackface scene with over 30 white people in blackface doing a big musical number stuffed with stereotypes. Urhghhhhhh

---

I want to separate the next movie because I think it's my favourite Christmas movie of all time and I could talk so much about it, but I'll restrain myself to just a few gushing paragraphs.

The Muppet Christmas Carol

The best adaptation of A Christmas Carol bar none, the best Muppet movie bar none.

It's totally loaded with gags and familiar Muppets, but at the same time it completely stays true to the original story. Part of it is that they didn't use any known Muppets for the three main Spirits of Christmas - they invented new ones. In this way, the Spirits can be taken totally seriously (instead of if they were portrayed by wacky characters like Animal and Janice for instance)

Kermit and Miss Piggy are turning in actually touching dramatic performances as the Cratchits. And Michael Caine as Scrooge is acting his heart out, taking it 100% seriously, doing a goddamn marvellous job with tears in his eyes and pain and fear and hope in his voice.

Every song is brilliant. The film is absolutely jam packed with tenderness and wonder.

The only flaw I can think of in the whole film is Michael Caine is actually so likeable as Scrooge that you feel his good side winning through by the time the Marley ghosts have disappeared. He just doesn't feel like a hateful person. But maybe it's a good thing - it's the most redemptive portrayal of Scrooge possible, I think.

I will continue to rewatch this at Christmas for all time.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Dec 24, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think it helps that Caine's Scrooge actually feels like he liked people once upon a time. It makes him feel like someone who didn't start off bad but was just broken by loss and loneliness so when the night changes him and he chooses to embrace love and people it feels more natural to me. Its not a miracle, its an epiphany.

For every Christmas Carol version I see I always come back to the Muppet's being the best one. And yeah, I think part of the strength is that they do a lot of fun Muppet stuff up front and then gradually the movie shifts more dramatic with the spirits as Gonzo and Rizzo disappear. When they pop back up for the conclusion its actually like a relief in and of itself.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I watched the Muppet Christmas Carol yesterday for the first time time, since it first came out. There really isn't a lot to add, but i really liked the design of Christmas Past.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I got this book for Christmas :3

Lots of movies to add to my list for next year 😻

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Famethrowa posted:

My people aren't super represented holidaywise, so the best I had was 8 Crazy Nights

... unironicly might be my favorite Sandler film, and I watch it every year

It's honestly very close to actually being good, most of it's problems come down to being too heavy on dumb grossout jokes, Whitey and Eleanor being too weird and pathetic, and being a rare example of a movie that needed to be longer than what we got as it just ends up feeling really rushed in the back half due to being barely over an hour in length

Hedrigall posted:

Oh I just saw Netflix has a new version of their "The ____ That Made Us" doco series coming on December 1, called The Holiday Movies That Made Us.

It seems to be just two episodes, Elf and The Nightmare Before Christmas. Might be worth a watch for fans of those movies.

Yeah two episodes is just weird, like you'd think they'd just add it to the existing movies series they did instead of giving it it's own thing

Also a shame they didn't do an episode on the Jim Carrey Grinch, probably would have been a really interesting episode

mmmmalo posted:

Realized today that the aesthetic of Ron Howard's Grinch movie feels like Terry Gilliam's Brazil. Same shadowy coverage of glitz, same claustrophobic interiors plastered with malformed pneumatic tubes... same season even! Brazil's a Christmas movie. It's surreal. A review of Brazil I found describes it as "retro-futuristic yuletide fever-dream of tinsel-decked pneumatic tubes, endlessly looping Christmas muzak, and Santa-suited anarchists". That last point in particular, is that not the Grinch himself?

Anyway I think I'm gonna do a Grinch > Brazil movie marathon for the holidays just to see how it pans out.

That sounds like a good time

Hedrigall posted:

Wow, I cannot recommend Netflix's The Holiday Movies that Made Us at all.

I just watched the episode about The Nightmare Before Christmas. The editing feels like it was done by someone with ADHD on speed. They keep cutting away from interviewees every 3-5 words, and taking one-second soundbites from them out of context, and stitching it together with the most obnoxious narration possible. It gave me a gigantic headache.

Also there's some unflattering insinuations made about one of the screenwriters who left the project - the guy who also wrote Beetlejuice. I looked him up, he died of AIDS a few years later. Really not a nice way to honor a deceased collaborator of Burton's.

EL BROMANCE posted:

The regular version was so bad I turned off the Ghostbusters one off after 10minutes. How did they screw up such an easy thing?

Hedrigall posted:

They started with the incredibly flawed premise “how movies get made is boring, so we need to make it wacky” and went from there

loving Christ this is not how you tell the story of a beloved movie’s inception and creation

The Toys That Made Us works so much better as a show funnily enough(well except the Transformers episode being kind of bad)

Hedrigall posted:

Hmm The Family Man was... okay, but oof the ending

What exactly was Don Cheadle’s character meant to be? An angel or something? Bit of a lovely angel. He loving straight up erased those kids from existence at the end.

I’m happy to finally know where the Nicolas Cage “I want that cake” meme comes from

https://youtu.be/5PJddmfesaA

edit: You know what, I like the interpretation that Don Cheadle's character is a demon

Just looked that up and that just seems like a really hosed up way to do a movie

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I think it helps that Caine's Scrooge actually feels like he liked people once upon a time. It makes him feel like someone who didn't start off bad but was just broken by loss and loneliness so when the night changes him and he chooses to embrace love and people it feels more natural to me. Its not a miracle, its an epiphany.

For every Christmas Carol version I see I always come back to the Muppet's being the best one. And yeah, I think part of the strength is that they do a lot of fun Muppet stuff up front and then gradually the movie shifts more dramatic with the spirits as Gonzo and Rizzo disappear. When they pop back up for the conclusion its actually like a relief in and of itself.

Yeah I always saw it as him definitely realizing he needed to change as early as Marley & Marley, but if he hadn't gone through all three Ghosts he probably wouldn't have been able to make it stick

Also my personal favorite that hasn't gotten talked about in this thread yet, the 1985 Rankin/Bass adaptation of The Life And Adventures of Santa Claus as it's Rankin/Bass pulling out all the stops on what would be their last stop motion Christmas special as well as essentially a crossover in both tone and style between their older Christmas specials and their more recent animation projects like the Tolkien adaptations or The Last Unicorn, not to mention since it's adapted from a book by the same guy who created The Wizard of Oz it's just weird as hell

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Hedrigall posted:

Emmett Otter's Jugband Christmas - A TV special, not a movie. A very cute Muppets-adjacent Christmas musical set in the muppet version of, I dunno, Florida or Louisiana? Loaded with pathos (the plot goes through a fairly routine Gift-of-the-Magi-like tragedy of errors) but with an uplifting ending. The songs were actually really good. I heard Brett McKenzie from Flight of the Conchords is working on a reboot of this?

Nightmare deserved their win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ3cWWNXBHg

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

I watched the Muppet Christmas Carol yesterday for the first time time, since it first came out. There really isn't a lot to add, but i really liked the design of Christmas Past.

That ghost in particular reminded me of the creatures you'd see in Henson's Storyteller.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its actually kind of a neat little ending that even though they're the bad guys the special basically does say "Nightmare deserved the win" because the other two acts just needed to get together to complete their sound.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I like watching Tokyo Godfathers on Christmas. There's themes of Christmas miracles happening and families reuniting. It is probably Satoshi Kon's most straightfoward work also.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

Its actually kind of a neat little ending that even though they're the bad guys the special basically does say "Nightmare deserved the win" because the other two acts just needed to get together to complete their sound.

Watching this and Muppet Christmas Carol recently just confirmed to me that, welp, Paul WIlliams is one of the best songwriters ever. Only he can be so drat sincere and positive and mean every word of it.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

STAC Goat posted:

I... can't really agree. I mean, I'm with you that Caine is really good at what you said (and the decision to play his role as seriously as a heart attack only helped the movie), but honestly... the whole thing is too soft. I could not buy his redemption, because I could not buy his villainy, and I couldn't buy it because it's a Muppet movie.

The Muppet films are kind of fascinating in that they are always ever Muppet films; you can try to introduce other themes and plotlines all you want, but they are dwarfed by the Muppets and the thing they do- a musical comedy in which jokes are had, the Fourth Wall is broken with impunity, and themes as warm, fuzzy, and comforting as the material they're made of. These make them amazing if you're in a certain mood and just want to cuddle up, but if you want to do anything else outside of that comfort... it's not happening. You can't effectively raise the stakes, introduce darker themes, or even hint at and ending that doesn't turn out all right in the end, because it's the Muppets- to do that requires cruelty, means being mean to the characters or audience, and if there's one thing the Muppets are unequivocally not, it's cruel. And A Christmas Carol is a cruel story, or at least one that requires cruelty to be used, because it's the story of a man, having lost all of his goodness, regaining it only to understand that he hosed up and it's too late to do anything about it. It's the story of a man being crushed under the weight of all the evil he's done and all the good he's left undone. It's an unrelenting nightmare that does not stop until Scrooge begs forgiveness for all he's done ("Oh, tell me I may sponge away the writing on this stone!"), and that's what makes Scrooge's elation on Christmas morning so powerful and moving to see. And I never had that with the Muppet Christmas Carol, because I never believed Caine's Scrooge wouldn't turn out all right in the end.

Still, it's still a good movie for all that- the songs are catchy, the jokes land, and of course I cried during "When Love Is Gone", I'm not a monster. But in terms of being the best, or even a particularly good adaptation of A Christmas Carol? Naw. Scrooged! is better at embodying the spirit of punishment I mentioned, even though that has its own problems, and the 1951 one with Alastair Sim is real good too.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

See, I think I'm the opposite. I generally think Christmas Carols are too cruel and Scrooges are too rotten. They work as ghost stories but I'm never terribly struck by the miracle of him redeeming because it does feel like it would take a miracle to redeem him. Caine's Scrooge feels like a rotten bastard and his terrible selfishness affects people like Tiny Tim but mostly he's hurt himself. He's alone and miserable and pushes everyone away. So Muppet Christmas Carol is more of a personal story to me and more hopeful one. Scrooge just has to stop being an rear end in a top hat. Its his choice. And ok, maybe that's not Dickens' exact intent but its the one that resonates most with me.

But I also really like Muppets.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Wow, I hope you didn't see 2019's Christmas Carol because you would have hated the gently caress out of it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I’m a Scrooge-optimist, and I dislike when he’s too cruel

This reddit post last week really summed up well why Muppet Christmas Carol has the best Scrooge because he’s one of the least mean Scrooges: https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/kj9kyy/why_the_muppet_christmas_carol_is_my_favorite/

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

See, I think I'm the opposite. I generally think Christmas Carols are too cruel and Scrooges are too rotten. They work as ghost stories but I'm never terribly struck by the miracle of him redeeming because it does feel like it would take a miracle to redeem him.

This character is so cruel it would take some sort of miracle to redeem him, which is nowhere to be found in this story about a visitation by a dead man's spirit and three otherworldly spectres with magic powers on the day of Christ's birth. :v:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
"So I'm not as cool as I think I am, I'm actually a cruel, sad, rear end in a top hat. Also ghosts are real. Life after death is real. lovely rich people get endlessly tortured after they die. Also I'm going to die soon."

"I'm going to need a bigger goose."

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Well, like I said, I do get why people like Muppet Christmas Carol over the others, I just happen to think it works better when cruelty is answered with cruelty. And of course, just like some of you like the Muppets, I really like dark, freaky poo poo, which is why I really liked Scrooged- even though it has it's own problems, like going way the hell too far in the other direction with its Scrooge ( taking people's homes is one thing, driving an old woman to suicide and assaulting his assistant verbally/physically is quite another). But the design of the Spirits is great, and particularly the future vision, with the frozen homeless guy, the burning confessional, and Karen Allen's character becoming Cruella DeVil (also, hawt) just strikes me in all of the good places I enjoy. (spoilered for cw of violence and death)

(And I guess there's no way to say this without sounding like an rear end in a top hat, but... for all the good work that Brian Henson put into Muppet Christmas Carol, and how much it is obviously an intent to honor his late father (may he rest in peace), that freaky part of me can't help but wonder what Jim Henson- who famously like dark and twisted stuff too and was good at doing them- would have done with the same material. Hard thing to admit, but there it is.)

But anyway, another Christmas has come and gone, so what does the thread suppose is the best New Year's Eve/Day movie? I nominate Strange Days (dir. K. Bigelow, 1995); good thriller, good politics, and the prognostication of the year 2000 was fairly on point (it was five years away, but still).

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
My go-to New Year's movies are Ghostbusters II, When Harry Met Sally, and Four Rooms. I keep meaning to watch Strange Days but it still hasn't happened...

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Not a movie but as a Shane Black Christmas movie fan I am excited as gently caress for the Hawkeye show

https://youtu.be/5VYb3B1ETlk

6 episodes, from Nov 24 to Dec 29 :getin:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah does Black have anything to do with that show because it reeks of his style.

Edit: in a way that I am very excited for to be clear.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Home Sweet Home Alone, the sixth instalment of the Home Alone franchise, is coming to Disney plus next month. It sounds like a remake of the original, and Buzz is back as a cop. Im watching this day one.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Muppet Christmas Carol rips
I say, without any reservation or snark, that Muppet Christmas Carol is in fact the definitive adaptation of the work.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Home Sweet Home Alone was full of laughs and love, easily the third best in the franchise.

Love Hard is Netflix’s contribution to the holiday season and while it pays homage to Love Actually, it doesn’t honour the other half of its namesake so I can’t go a full 5 star review for it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I rewatched The Santa Clause with the Blank Check podcast commentary.

It's a movie that works despite itself. It's drab and ugly. The pacing, however, works well. It's got some good ideas, it executes the premise pretty well. A lot of the special effects are early CGI, but then you see a physical animatronic for a reindeer that articulates well and has a wet nose, so it's not all bad! Scott's character arc of being an aloof bad father into an okay father is not good, however. When there are jokes at his expense for being a bad dad, I'm with it, but when I'm expected to laud his turn-around now that he's Santa, it doesn't work.

I don't like Tim Allen outside of the handful performances that are objectively good, but I think he does pretty good as Scott and then Santa.

We've seen a new trend of remaking comedy premises into horror premises, and I'd love to see a weird film that just uses this premise to explore the body horror of a man physically turning against Santa Claus against his will.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Franchescanado posted:

We've seen a new trend of remaking comedy premises into horror premises, and I'd love to see a weird film that just uses this premise to explore the body horror of a man physically turning against Santa Claus against his will.

The Satan Clause

A guy accidentally kills Satan then finds himself slowly transforming into Satan and getting urges to carry out ironic tortures on people for their sins

It’s Se7en/Saw mixed with The Santa Clause

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

My wife and I decided to start watching a bunch of Christmas movies on Thanksgiving. We made a whole schedule and everything, mostly trying to feature the classics (Elf, Muppet Christmas Carol, Patrick Stewart Christmas Carol, Miracle on 34th) alongside movies that we've heard good things about but never seen (The Night Before, Tokyo Godfathers, Anna and the Apocalypse).

As part of that plan on Friday we watched 1941's Holiday Inn. For a movie made in the 40s it holds up pretty well. The dancing is absolutely fantastic; Fred Astaire does great with everyone who he's partnered with and his character 'makes up' a solo routine using a pocket full of firecrackers that is just a joy to watch. The music is great; Irving Berlin writing for Bing Crosby turns out to be a pretty solid combo. Everybody knows White Christmas and Happy Holiday but pretty much every song in there is a banger. The story is cute and sweet and you're rooting for all the characters by the end; there's not really any actual conflict between anybody -- they all just want different things and it's about them trying to find ways to be happy.

The women are... uh... not written great. The two main female roles both basically have plots where they get engaged (or married) to a lead male and then leave him because of money so that's not great but it's not exactly written as 'all women are money crazy whores' on purpose. It's just casually sexist and the story is very definitely about Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire and every event is from their perspectives. There's a black woman who works at the Holiday Inn for Jim who is unfortunately named Mamie but she's not written badly and Jim respects her and likes her and listens to her so little bits of good thing there.

But then there's THAT SCENE

I get that it was 1941 and apparently this was not as horrifying or shocking then but holy poo poo watching this movie blind in 2021 and getting through a really fun sequence where Fred Astaire has an amazing dance routine with Marjorie Reynolds where he is 'drunk' and then immediately jumping to Lincoln's Birthday where Bing Crosby dresses like that and dresses Linda like *that* in order to hide her and then puts on a hideous song in a minstrel routine where both actors are doing what I can only describe as 'blackvoice' in addition to the costuming is actively disgusting. We were blindsided and almost had to stop the movie and just take a break but powered through it and thankfully nothing at all like that ever happens again. I guess that on television they usually cut that whole number and I support this plan 150%.

Holiday Inn was mostly pretty good with one super gross bit that I really wish wasn't there but I think it still counts as a Christmas classic.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

important to note, DIE HARD wasn't originally a Christmas movie. Constantine changed the script in 332 AD to line up with the Sol Invictus calendar.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

The Princess Switch 3 was incredibly disappointing because they did not introduce a third doppelganger for the protagonist. In my opinion, each entry in the series should feature a new doppelganger, until the cast is made up entirely of Vanessa Hudgenses.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Franchescanado posted:

It's one of those movies that I've seen so much, there's no reason for me to ever watch it again. And yet, when I do rewatch it, I'm reminded how good it really is, minus a few insensitive things we've moved past culturally, like the depiction of the Chinese restaurant owners.

I absolutely hate the stupid accent joke they make but the Chinese restaurant workers are portrayed as hospital, helpful, and literally save Christmas for the family. Also I love that the kids are absolutely into it, they are having the time of their life watching (for them) exotic food get delivered and the duck's head get cut off and IIRC the narrator was like "and I've always enjoyed Chinese 'turkey' ever since then" or something.

I've only skimmed the thread but nobody has recommended the '84 Christmas Carol with George C Scott? I grew up in the 80s and watched this every year, and it's always been a favorite of mine. It's got some legit creepy stuff in it to, on account of it being made in that weird 80s period where they're like "Gremlins! Sure, it's a kid's movie!" It's also directed by the guy who edited '51's Scrooge so it's got a pedigree, and the cast list is absolutely stacked.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I absolutely hate the stupid accent joke they make but the Chinese restaurant workers are portrayed as hospital, helpful, and literally save Christmas for the family. Also I love that the kids are absolutely into it, they are having the time of their life watching (for them) exotic food get delivered and the duck's head get cut off and IIRC the narrator was like "and I've always enjoyed Chinese 'turkey' ever since then" or something.

I've only skimmed the thread but nobody has recommended the '84 Christmas Carol with George C Scott? I grew up in the 80s and watched this every year, and it's always been a favorite of mine. It's got some legit creepy stuff in it to, on account of it being made in that weird 80s period where they're like "Gremlins! Sure, it's a kid's movie!" It's also directed by the guy who edited '51's Scrooge so it's got a pedigree, and the cast list is absolutely stacked.

There are so many A Christmas Carols, I can maybe watch two a year? And I usually lean on a nostalgia pick.

I think this year I'm going to watch the Jim Carrey ACC, which I've never seen before. Then, for a good adaptation, I'll probably watch Scrooge with Albert Finney, because Criterion Channel is doing a special showcase for it.

I might watch the George C. Scott adaptation too. Maybe. It's on Paramount Plus, and I love GCG.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I'll probably also give the Disney CGI one a watch this year alongside my usual rewatch of Muppet Christmas Carol and Mickey's Christmas Carol

As for what else I'll watch this year, well probably a scattering of various Rankin-Bass specials(especially The Life & Adventures of Santa Claus as that special is wonderfully bonkers), the Jim Carrey Grinch, at least one of the first two Home Alone movies, probably Elf(even if personally I'm not a big fan of that one), Adam Sandler's Eight Crazy Nights(which is a heavily flawed film but one I have a soft spot for) and probably an assortment of various other less significant episodes, specials, and movies

This isn't counting the various crappy Hallmark/Lifetime style Christmas movies my mom constantly has playing during this time of year that form a background noise whenever I'm in the kitchen or living room when she's home and awake

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Franchescanado posted:

There are so many A Christmas Carols, I can maybe watch two a year? And I usually lean on a nostalgia pick.

I think this year I'm going to watch the Jim Carrey ACC, which I've never seen before. Then, for a good adaptation, I'll probably watch Scrooge with Albert Finney, because Criterion Channel is doing a special showcase for it.

I might watch the George C. Scott adaptation too. Maybe. It's on Paramount Plus, and I love GCG.

I watch a Christmas Carol movie every year. The Zemeckis cgi one is pretty awful but it’s still definitely the best of his motion capture movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
So far I’ve watched some good and some bad holiday movies

8-Bit Christmas is a new Neil Patrick Harris movie that’s basically A Christmas Story for gen x/early millennials instead of boomers. A bit rote but had some good laughs. Light recommendation

I’ll Be Home for Christmas is a 90s JTT vehicle and the best-worst Christmas movie I’ve seen in years. It’s teenager Planes Trains and Automobiles at Christmas. So dumb, but honestly a really fun time capsule to a time when JTT was a heartthrob and NSYNC had a Christmas album