Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I am probably the only person in the world who can honestly say that they have never seen either A Christmas Story or It's A Wonderful Life all the way through. But I've definitely absorbed a lot of those movies by sheer cultural osmosis. Ralphie's story seems like one where you had to have been a kid at a specific time to really appreciate the nostalgia.

yes and no

the late-40s setting is definitely establishing a very specific time and place but it's not one that your childhood has to share for you to enjoy the movie or get what they're going for. i mean, there were plenty of people around in 1983 who remembered the period it's trying to evoke - not so much now, but it's a lot more popular now than it was then.

i know a lot of people don't care for a christmas story but it's one of those movies that improves on every single rewatch. you notice more and more tiny details and how much effort the actors put into the roles - darren mcgavin steals the show, obviously, and every single one of his scenes is filled with so much body language and facial expression. he's the absolutely pitch-perfect dad character that you should judge every other comedic cinema dad by, imo. but all of the others are putting a lot of subtle stuff into their performances, even the kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

I've watched A Christmas Story many many times in my life(though it's been probably a good 5 to 10 years since I last watched it) and I've never been very fond of it, always just got a nasty vibe off of the movie, a lack of joy that I feel is an essential aspect for any good Holiday Movie especially for one about Christmas, the fact that it heavily uses "cringe humor" which I've always hated doesn't help it

Basically the same reason I've never liked the National Lampoon Vacation movies for that matter

but...there's a lot of joy in the movie? it's just normal familial christmas happiness rather than Holiday Movie Happiness, and i have to admit i prefer the more low-key take on the spirit of christmas. and i don't even understand what you mean by "cringe humor" in this case, honestly. the humor isn't in bad things happening to people or embarassment, it's in the characters reacting to each other and to the stuff that happens to them, both mundane and surreal.

i'm not saying any of this to say your opinion is wrong, but i do honestly feel like we've watched two different movies