Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's the best?
Kane
Seth
Kane
Frank Klepacki
An Almost-Dead Grenadier
Pistol-Armed Civilian
View Results

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...

JobboFett posted:

Author's note: I always hear Seth's claim as being very boastful, as if he's hiding something. Anyone else get that vibe?

I always thought of it as more Seth reminding you how much more important he is. Not just in a boastful way, but a more a 'make sure you mind your place you greenhorn' kind of thing.

Also, I was curious if you've given any thought to alternating between the two campaigns, as opposed to going through one in sequence and then starting the other? I recollect that's how I used to play it and the contrast illuminates some things that happen. Or perhaps you have a good reason I've missed to do things as you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I can't get over how short the range is of units removing fog of war, I didn't remember that at all.

Also don't remember the maps being this small either, but maybe I'm just too used to the bigger maps of the later games like ra2.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Nov 27, 2018

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Seth is going to put a word for us? maybe Kane will notice us :shobon:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Thotimx posted:

I always thought of it as more Seth reminding you how much more important he is. Not just in a boastful way, but a more a 'make sure you mind your place you greenhorn' kind of thing.

Also, I was curious if you've given any thought to alternating between the two campaigns, as opposed to going through one in sequence and then starting the other? I recollect that's how I used to play it and the contrast illuminates some things that happen. Or perhaps you have a good reason I've missed to do things as you are.

Personally, I've always preferred doing one complete campaign and then seeing how the other is different. I could change to an alternating thing if the thread is overwhelmingly for it.

And yeah I could that other way of taking Seth's little speech

Nalesh posted:

I can't get over how short the range is of units removing fog of war, I didn't remember that at all.

Also don't remember the maps being this small either, but maybe I'm just too used to the bigger maps of the later games like ra2.

Yeah, LOS by units is laughably small in some cases that I'll have to talk about it in a video. Theres even one unit that does not reveal ANY LOS (to my knowledge), and we've already seen it. Anyone care to guess?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The harvester?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

FoolyCharged posted:

The harvester?

Nope, that one can see things.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Pistol-wielding civilian from Nod mission 1.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

UED Special Ops posted:

Pistol-wielding civilian from Nod mission 1.

Winner winner chicken dinner

They never get a unit picture, you can't build them, their health and damage are incredibly low, but "Technicians", as they are called, reveal NO LOS.

You get them at random when you sell a building or when a building is destroyed. Yeah, randomly.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I remember way back in the day having a Technician just run around in the fog of war like that. Controlling a unit you can't even see was "fun" for all the 15 seconds it lived out there. Pretty sure they also have weird random delays between shots or some sort of invisible ammo counter that takes a while to refill, as I remember that sometimes telling them to attack does nothing/cause them to just run around instead.

As for campaigns, I'm in favor of fully running through one faction's campaign before changing over to the other.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I'm pleased that you're playing the NOD campaign first. Mostly I'm just happy that you started with NOD rather than GDI, but a straight run through is more interesting to me than alternating missions anyway.

I'm so glad Kane's :siren: RIGHT-HAND MAN :siren: seems to like us! Seth is going to lead us to glory.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

By popular demand posted:

Seth is going to put a word for us? maybe Kane will notice us :shobon:
Is this where we start posting those recent KANE-SENPAAAIII images?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fish Noise posted:

Is this where we start posting those recent KANE-SENPAAAIII images?

How would we know its Kane when we haven't seen him yet?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

NOD Mission 03
Don't know if anyone else agrees, but I think your voice is a little bit low compared to the game volume

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Groetgaffel posted:

Don't know if anyone else agrees, but I think your voice is a little bit low compared to the game volume

K, I'll try to fix that for the next video.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

wedgekree posted:

C&C was always -fun- to play as a series for almost every game. Over the top, hammy, often ludicrous. But things were ridiculous enough (espeically with the FMV's) to make it worth going through. I always enjoyed playing them even if I sucked at them (spoiler; I do) and the story.

Whether the game have held up well from that era of RTS' is as alwys a matter of personal opinion, but I loved the sheer over the toppedness it had in ways that Starcraft and Warcraft never quite did.

I also think in general it hit a groove where things actually happened, rather than the near ten year turnaround between Warcraft and Starcraft games.

I actually played the original C&C after Starcraft and, not knowing when either came out, it actually felt way more modern to me. The fact that there was no selection limit, the fact that projectile weapons could actually miss their target (probably just a dice roll, but still), that tanks could just straight up run over infantry who could try and scatter out of the way. It just felt so much more "real." And then I played stuff like Homeworld and Total Annihilation and ooooh boy, was Blizzard's style of RTS dead to me from there on out.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mordja posted:

I actually played the original C&C after Starcraft and, not knowing when either came out, it actually felt way more modern to me. The fact that there was no selection limit, the fact that projectile weapons could actually miss their target (probably just a dice roll, but still), that tanks could just straight up run over infantry who could try and scatter out of the way. It just felt so much more "real." And then I played stuff like Homeworld and Total Annihilation and ooooh boy, was Blizzard's style of RTS dead to me from there on out.

Starcraft also has a "shot miss" function, but its high ground vs low ground (I believe its 25% chance to miss if shooting from low ground to high ground).

I actually came across a post online that has all the rules from the C&C Tiberian Dawn, and for each unit. I haven't check the actual game files, which would certainly have them there. I'll start posting some as we get a little further into the campaign.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I'm gonna take this moment to plug a youtuber that loving loves C&C and speedrunning, also posting multiplayer RA matches

[nope! -fedule] of course everything in there is spoilers but honestly it is worth just for his multiplayer matches

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 27, 2018

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Groetgaffel posted:

i thought it was just about right

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Its a good thing that video is giving a playback error because it would suck if people started posting spoilers when i said no spoilers.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Since this latest mission had a small cluster of civilian buildings in the lower right... am I misremembering or did C&C1 civilian structures sometimes contain powerups? Maybe I'm thinking of another game.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

PurpleXVI posted:

Since this latest mission had a small cluster of civilian buildings in the lower right... am I misremembering or did C&C1 civilian structures sometimes contain powerups? Maybe I'm thinking of another game.

I believe they had powerups in multiplayer sometimes, and in single player they will occasionally have bonus money for you.

Another note: GDI cannot target civilian structures without hitting the "force-attack" button, but NOD can. It's a little thing, but it tells you a little bit about them.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, it tells you that NOD understands that victory comes with a price. :colbert:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mordja posted:

Yeah, it tells you that NOD understands that victory comes with a price. :colbert:
The price of spending time and resources murdering those who pose no threat instead of going after the military targets?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
No, of blowing up civvies to get money crates to fund your war efforts, duh.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
We getting a unit summary for rocket launcher dudes?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

bunnyofdoom posted:

We getting a unit summary for rocket launcher dudes?

Oops... yeah, next mission.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Do not disappoint Kane a second time.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
NOD Mission 04

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmSX44scaEM
NOD Mission 04

CHAD
Population: 5,238,000
Expendability: 80%
Capital: N'Djamena
Government: Republic
Govt Corruptability: 85%
Net Worth: $1 Billion
Point of Conflict: Mao
Military Strength: Laughable
Military Resistance: 35%

BROTHERHOOD. UNITY. PEACE.

Objective: Eliminate GDI presence in the region.

Briefing: A small village friendly to our cause has been increasingly harassed by GDI, and the Brotherhood wishes you to assist them in their efforts. Seek out the enemy village and destroy it. The event will be disguised as a GDI attack.

Author's note: Where's Seth? Who, or what, is EVA? Is that Kane? Is "he" even real, or is this some sort of trick? I HAVE QUESTIONS!

ROCKET SOLDIER
ARMOR: NONE
COST: 300
SECONDS TO PRODUCE: 17
RANGE: MEDIUM
WEAPON: LIGHT TOW ROCKETS
These infantry units are slower and easier to kill than other infantry, but can tear through armor faster than any other infantry unit. Their major
advantage is the ability to attack airborne units. Most effective as a support unit in diverse groups.

Author's notes: The anti-armor infantry unit for NOD. They aren't bad, can shoot air units, but are one of the slowest units in the game. This ensures that any attack will progress slowly, or see everyone else die... right before they do.

RECON BIKE
ARMOR: LIGHT
COST: 500
SECONDS TO PRODUCE: 33
RANGE: MEDIUM
WEAPON: DRAGON TOW ROCKETS
Mounting twin rocket launchers, the cycles have great flexibility, serving multiple roles in Nod’s forces. Learn to use these units in packs, hunting
down lone units or harvesters. When in guard mode, they will shoot at enemy aircraft, making them ideal at destroying incoming aerial assaults.
Their speed makes them an ideal scouting unit as well.

Author's notes: I don't like the recon bike, simply because its so fragile, but at least it shoots air uni~oh right I ALWAYS FORGET TO GUARD. The best reason to use bikes is to scout territory, or in large packs.

MISSION 02 MANUAL TUTORIAL

quote:

Mission Two

As this mission opens, you will see some familiar units; Minigunners and some Buggies, but there is also a new unit; the MCV.

BUILDING YOUR BASE
Use this MCV to construct your base. You must have a functioning base in order to build units and harvest Tiberium (your source of income). To deploy your MCV and start
your base, select it (by itself) by left clicking on it once. You can move it around just as you would any other unit. Now deploy the
MCV into the Construction Yard. You do this by left double clicking on it. The first left click brings up a “Deploy” cursor and the second
left click deploys the MCV into the Construction Yard. The Construction Yard is a fairly large building, so it needs to have a clear area around it in order to deploy.

If you attempt to deploy the MCV and nothing happens, check around the MCV for things that might get in its way. It could be a Minigunner unit, a cliff, a tree, etc. In this mission,
the MCV is already in a clear area and will deploy as long as you don’t move it and as long as an enemy unit doesn’t get in the way.

MEASURING POWER EFFICIENCY
Power is essential for your base to operate efficiently. Look at the sidebar section of your screen. The thin vertical area next to the construction icons is your power bar.

The blue dividing bar shows you how much power your base is currently using, and the vertical bar shows your available power.
As long as the bar is in the green, your base has enough power to operate everything at maximum efficiency. If the bar drops into the yellow or red, your base is under-powered.
As described earlier in the manual, when the base is under-powered, construction will take much longer than usual, and many of the high-tech structures will shut down.

GOING AFTER TIBERIUM
When the Power Plant is deployed, construction icons for The Hand of Nod, and the Refinery will appear.

You can build either of them first, but income is always important, and since you aren’t really in any immediate danger, you can afford
to build your refinery first. Do the same thing that you did to build the power plant.

While the Refinery is being built, move some of your soldiers up the map a bit. Explore the area until you find some Tiberium (the
green crystals that are growing out of the ground). Place your refinery as close as you can to the Tiberium. You will notice that when you place the
Refinery, a Harvester appears with it. As explained in the manual, the Harvester is used to collect Tiberium. It has no weapon, and aside from heavy armor, it isn’t suited to be put in combat
situations.

If you have discovered any Tiberium, the Harvester will automatically move towards it and begin to harvest it. This is an automatic process that you shouldn’t worry about. If you haven’t located
any, you will have to send the Harvester manually once some Tiberium is discovered. If you don’t see any Tiberium, select some of your other units and scout around until you
do find Tiberium. Once you have, select just the Harvester, and target the Tiberium. Left click, and the Harvester will begin to gather the crystals. See the manual for more information on
the Harvester and how to control it in certain instances.

STORING THE TIBERIUM
On your construction bar, you should notice that you now have another option: a silo. Silos can hold 1500 credits of Tiberium, and since your refinery can only hold, 1000, it is a good
idea to build one to hold excess credits. If you don’t build a Silo, and run out of storage space, any credits that you didn’t have space for are LOST, so make sure you always have some
space available.

BUILDING MORE TROOPS
Now that you have some money coming in, you can build a Hand of Nod (the barracks for Nod’s forces). This structure will allow
you to train all of your Minigunnertype units. Build this structure in the same way that you built the others. Place this one closer toward the
part of the map that you don’t know much about. This way, Minigunners will be closer to the front lines, so they can respond to
threats quickly.

At this point in the game, you can only build two types of units: Minigunners and engineers. Minigunners are your standard troops and will be used for much of the game to take out
tanks or guard your base. Engineers are special units that are only used to capture enemy structures. These come in to
use a bit later in this mission, so for now, just build some Minigunners. From here, you can choose what you want to build. The more Refineries that you build, the
faster your money will come in. When more than one barracks is built, Minnigunners can be created faster. Usually, it is a good idea to have two refineries going at once, so you may want
to build another one.

WIPING OUT GDI
Now that you have established your base, it is time to get rid of GDI’s presence in the area. You will see a road that heads to the
west, then forks, heading to the north and further to the west. You can follow either path to reach the GDI base, but for the sake of
the tutorial, choose the western one.

Move your troops further to the west, and reveal more of the map. You will probably encounter some GDI opposition, but be sure to have an overwhelming number
of Minigunners in your group, and you should be able to kill them with minimal losses. Remember, you can still build
Minigunners from the side bar while you are exploring with your soldiers. This way, you will be able to send more into the fray if needed.

When you reach the far west side of the map, you will see a small ridge to the north. Head to the north, and you’ve found the GDI base.
You will probably meet opposition from a Humm Vee and several GDI Minigunners. If your forces are wiped out, build 10 to 15 Minigunners and send them all at once. You should be
able to see the GDI barracks, where their Minigunners are created, as well as some silos, a refinery, and a construction yard.

You can destroy all the structures in the GDI base in the same way you do Minigunners, simply by targeting them. However, you can capture their
structures instead, which would be much more advantageous.

USING ENGINEERS
Build a couple of engineers and send them over to the GDI base behind your other forces. Engineers have no
weapons, and are quite slow, so make sure that there’s nothing threatening them while you move them to the GDI base.

When you select an engineer and target an enemy building, you get a set of three green arrows. This indicates
that you can enter the building with that unit. In this case, the engineer captures the building if he gets to it.

So target the GDI barracks with your engineer and let him try to capture it. If he’s successful
and enters the structure, you will receive a message from EVA informing you of your success.

Since this is now a part of your base, it draws power just like any other structure of yours would. In addition, capturing an enemy structure gives you all its functionality,
sometimes allowing you to construct some of their units that you normally cannot build.

CLEANING UP
From here on, you can mop up the GDI base as you see fit. If you captured the GDI barracks, you can select it as your primary
site by left double clicking on it. By doing this, your soldiers will come out of here instead of your other barracks at your base.
Capture or destroy the rest of the GDI structures, and your victory is assured.

One note: If you capture a Refinery while the enemy Harvester is in it, you get the Harvester and the Refinery, which is infinitely
better than just getting the Refinery. If you capture a Silo, you get all the money that was in
the Silo at the time, so these can be a worthy investment for a 500 credit engineer to target.

I misspoke, the manual only has the first two missions as tutorials

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 30, 2018

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

By popular demand posted:

Do not disappoint Kane a second time.

After this last briefing, I'm not too sure if Kane isn't just some AI program :ohdear:

And computers can't be disappointed :smuggo:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
I found Rocket Troopers to be by far the most disappointing unit in C&C. Even as anti-armor, they don't pack much punch, and they lose one-on-one to Minigunners. Ultimately, they're a waste of resources when you have the Recon Bike right there as a light, cheap anti-armor unit, and it's a hell of a lot faster. I'd have a lot more to say, but I'm not sure if it's okay to talk about GDI's units yet. Honestly it would be better from an analysis standpoint to go through the two campaigns in parallel, so we can properly compare the differing tech trees as they're revealed in the campaigns. It's hard to fully and properly articulate how terrible Rocket Troopers are without talking about what GDI gets.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
The no base-building missions in C&C 1 and Red Alert 1 can be just absolutely infuriating.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

After this last briefing, I'm not too sure if Kane isn't just some AI program :ohdear:

And computers can't be disappointed :smuggo:

Unlike your parents.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

HannibalBarca posted:

The no base-building missions in C&C 1 and Red Alert 1 can be just absolutely infuriating.

Fixed-deployment missions were the bane of my existence back when I was first playing the series. Being eight to nine years old, the height of my strategic prowess involved slowly building up overwhelming force, precision tactics were not my strong suit. In fact, if it weren't for the fact that the PC I was playing on was also a hand-me-down from the guy who gave me C&C in the first place, and happened to still have his save files from the final missions of the campaigns, I never would have "beaten" the original C&C, entirely because I couldn't get past some fixed-deployment missions later on. I would have gone back to beat it for real once I was old enough to wrap my mind around the strategies, but by then, Windows XP was out, DOSBox was years away, and I was out of luck.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

bunnyofdoom posted:

Unlike your parents.

Wow... :(

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I think, to C&C's credit, it was probably the first RTS I played where damage "types" really mattered. Like you wanted fire or machine guns for infantry, tank shells or rockets for vehicles and buildings, etc. Not counting roadkills, infantry can actually hold out against tanks for a surprising amount of time.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I have a hard time liking C&C. The music, while ok, always kept pulling me out of the game and distracting me because of it's nonsense lyrics and hip-hop beat.

I did have a blast with certain fixed-deployment missions based around a certain unit though. They were fun puzzles.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Aces High posted:

[nope! -fedule] of course everything in there is spoilers but honestly it is worth just for his multiplayer matches

mea culpa Jobbo, just got excited about other C&C enthusiasts

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Aces High posted:

mea culpa Jobbo, just got excited about other C&C enthusiasts

No worries, I'm not against anyone (re)posting speedrun/multiplayer games after we've gone through the campaigns, just not before we see how things develop.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
C&C is one of those incredibly '90s games. Some of the old stuff you could see happening in other eras - like Marathon flowing smoothly into Halo - but some games bake the '90s into their heart and soul. The story assumptions have already been mentioned, but the C&C soundtrack is another such example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Corbeau posted:

C&C is one of those incredibly '90s games. Some of the old stuff you could see happening in other eras - like Marathon flowing smoothly into Halo - but some games bake the '90s into their heart and soul. The story assumptions have already been mentioned, but the C&C soundtrack is another such example.

The soundtrack is one of the strongest points in favor of C&C being the best drat RTS series ever. Frank Klepacki is a goddamn musical genius, and he managed to top himself with each successive game he worked on, until he reached absolute perfection with RA2 and just maintained that quality for the remainder.

Fight, Win, Prevail is the sort of track that's just instantly recognizable and iconic, and if there had been awards for video game music at the time, I've no doubt he'd have gotten at least a nomination.