Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

These should always be in the OP of an F1 thread:

#Forzaferrari and Ave Sebastian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Wirth1000 posted:

That's the loving point. He's actually not a bin driver at all. He's actually a really good consistent midfielder. He's not the best but he's so far loving off the bottom that it's a joke he's labeled as poo poo. Look at his performance against Leclerc. He's put that Sauber in Q3 from time to time. He owns. He's like a Fisichella or Trulli.

He's another driver who, given the right car, could have been mildly successful for a mid-tier driver.
In his entire career the only times he's driven a car that had any business sniffing around the points... he's sniffed around the points.

He drove for Caterham in their last year, got 9 points and drove okay for Sauber in their "it's 2015 and we're gonna see what spending all our money gets us", drove an absolute dog of a car in "it's 2016 and we have no money to develop our car" and "it's 2017 and we got bought out, but those guys just want to flip us; we can't afford to redesign our car around the new engine Ferrari made" and has done... okay this year.

He's not a star and absolutely doesn't deserve a top tier drive, but he's been capable of getting a bit out of the cars he's driven so far. In many ways, that highlight's Charles' ability to get the most out of the Sauber this year.

Having said that, there's precious few people in F1 who out and out don't deserve a drive. Even Sebastian "Fraudulent pissbaby supreme" Vettel deserves a seat. It's really only Stroll and even he has shown that he can drive an F1 car at F1 race speeds when given an F1 car and not a garbage fire on wheels.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

DoctorGonzo posted:

Share Le Claire is a better driver than Max Verstappen

I'm reserving that judgement until after he demolishes Max's points total next year.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Minto Took posted:

As an iPhone haver, are OnePlus phones worth a poo poo?

They were amazing value for money and were probably the first of the Chinese "flagship specs for budget price" phones available in the west.
They were "invite only" and a pain to get a hold of which meant they were also super popular and the hype train was out of control.

Their latest phones aren't anything super special iirc (Huawei's doing fancy poo poo that doesn't make any sense, Samsung has gone hard after build quality, etc. etc.) while their price point has gradually drifted higher.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

GramCracker posted:

These are unironically the two best opinions the worst thread has ever seen

DoctorGonzo posted:

all those car and no testarrossa, you goddamn idiot

(Ferrari engine)

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Falken posted:

McLaren were such a nonentity for me this year, that I forgot that they had switched to Renault engines.

I remember thinking "Hey, they'll probably be competitive with the works team but be about as far away from Red Bull as the works team is".
Then the preseason test came around and it was time to "apply the McLaren correction" to my expectations.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I am so glad I bought the Danny Ric hat and not the Danny Ric Red Bull hat.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

track day bro! posted:

Lol at salty rear end goons who are still butmad that reddit is better than SA

Something Awful is a landfill.
Reddit is a landfill on fire.
4chan is a biohazard disposal.
Twitter is a combo sewer and biohazard disposal site on fire.

Something awful is the most dead and least bad of the four.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

learnincurve posted:

I suspect McLaren Automotive, the good McLaren, made them change it.

After Ron sold his shares they merged the whole entity to make one company.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

BubbaGrace posted:

They should be, that way we can contain all of the bad things to one small island. Almost like a second Australia.

Bathurst is better than any of your lovely wannabe tracks or those Rovals you pretend have turns that aren't Left in them.

America will always be the sewer that runs underneath Canada.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Dec 2, 2018

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

You Am I posted:

Is it? I didn't know that. I always saw it associated with feminists who hate the word man. I'll remember that in future.

TERFs

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

GramCracker posted:

Anime is not worse than Lance Stroll

Keep in mind Lance Stroll is going to be fighting for points finishes or his car is going to be dogshit because daddy fired all the mean people who said he couldn't drive.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

ilmucche posted:

What are the new naming arrangements? I don't see a point in looking it up if I can get a more humourous answer here.

There are 5 compounds - Hard is C1, Hypersoft is C5. Ultrahard and Supersoft are dead - there is no equivalent tyre.
Before each race (like, months before) Pirelli will announce which compounds are coming for what race, the softest compound being labelled soft, the hardest compound hard and the middle compound medium.

So in Melbourne Pirelli are bringing the Supersoft, Soft and Medium tyres from this year, presumably because the race will be boring as gently caress so they might as well treat it as such. Bahrain they are bringing the Soft, Medium and Hard from this year, presumably because the ground up bones from subcontinental slaves used in the track surface is super abrasive.

The only thing that changes is that Force India don't have a tyre colour that matches their car at any stage any more.
If Racing Point scrap the strawberry shortcake look do we band together to call for the removal of Stroll and Daddy "somebucks"?

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 11, 2018

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Rhopunzel posted:

iirc both companies are under the same ownership now that dennis is gone

Ding Ding Ding.

IIRC wanting to merge the disparate entities of the McLaren brand into a more unified structure was one of the reasons they wanted Ron Dennis to go because he wanted the F1 section to retain a deal of independence (and precedence).

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 17, 2019

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

tuo posted:

White, until the white was too heavy and they had to scrub it off to meet regulations

Nah, that's an urban legend.
Mercedes had used unpainted cars before the 1934 Eifelrennen (the race that both von Brauhitsch and Neubauer claimed was the spot where they both, individually, had the idea to grind off the white lead paint) that spawned that and there weren't enough cars racing to the new regulations so they ran that race to Formula Libre rules anyway.

Both Mercedes and Audi started using unpainted aluminium probably because it was lighter just before the Eifelrennen at the Avusrennen, and von Brauhitsch had raced in a silver SSKL at the 1932 Avusrennen.

Neubauer made the claim in an ?Autobiography? that was absolutely choc-full of made up horseshit and then von Brauhitsch follwed along and made a competing claim in an autobiography that was also choc-full of bullshit.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Weren't there already rumors that Red Bull was unhappy with Honda's progress?

I had heard those rumours but I can't find them and I cba going looking for them.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I can not decide if I think that car looks good or really really bad.
Right now, I'm leaning towards "it looks like it was designed by a tryhard".

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Frond posted:

Toyota never built anything as bad as the RA107 and RA108. Their first and last cars were actually quite good.

flipside: the RA107 and RA108 have the best liveries ever put on cars.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

That's a funny way of writing "Jordan 191"

Earth Dreams was better than Mountain Dew

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Dubs posted:

you'd think it would take effort to makde redbull look like a shittier team they they already do

but it didnt

Haas come out as the big winners for me.
Magnussen comes across as a turbo arsehole... but he's my kind of turbo arsehole. Big John comes across as a deeply flawed human being. Gunter Steiner seems fun.
Ocon comes across as a driving robot which is better than coming across like a loving twat which he used to, Tiny Man (Perez) comes across surprisingly like a paydriver (especially in all the shots they use of him and Slim, or when they juxtaposed him getting into a helicopter with Ocon getting into a Range Rover).
Renault come across as confused and confusing.
Sharl "Big Sharl" "#forzasharlarri" Leklerrr comes across really well too.
Horner comes across like the biggest twat in Formula 1, which is a tough ask but he managed it in the end. He comes across two faced to me, which might just be how I already saw him.
I don't know. I feel like the documentary didn't change my view on Max (when he matures, he's going to be a great driver but I don't think he's going to mature when his team refuses to pin anything on him) or Horny (two faced turbo prick) or Red Bull as a whole (a team rapidly losing it's grasp on relevance desperately grasping at straws to avoid being the next McLaren or Williams).

My top three drivers are now:
Daniel "Colgate Bogan" "Are Dan" "Big Ricky Danny" Ricciardo
Charles "Big Sharl" "#keepfightingjules" Lerclerc
Kevin "suck my balls honey" Magnussen

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 10, 2019

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Wirth1000 posted:

Red Bull is ... losing relevance? Did I miss something here or are you just some angry Australian fucker upset that they prioritized Vettel But Good over Good Ol' Boy Danny Bogan Ricc?

Do you legitimately see a path for Red Bull to win a WDC or a WCC?
If hell freezes over and Honda can actually meet Red Bull's size demand then sure, okay. But right now it's a two horse race with Red Bull a very distant third. I don't realistically see Honda providing a championship calibre power unit over the next couple of years and I don't realistically see the regulations changing in the next 5 to the point where Red Bull are going to get to a point where their lack of control over their power unit is going to be superseded by their traditionally stronger chassis.

In that sense, they are losing relevance; they're not a genuine part of the championship picture by the mid-season break.
Renault are attempting to gain relevance, but they're going at it in a deeply flawed way by shutting their eyes super tight and believing they can beat Ferrari or Mercedes while spending 2/3rds as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Wirth1000 posted:

Aren't kangaroo claws super sharp too? Like if the 'roo actually kicked him he could have been disemboweled pretty easily?

It's more the sheer muscle and power behind each kick. A roo punching you might leave a scratch but a roo kicking you has a solid chance of straight up breaking your bones.

But yeah, it's more if a big red gets you than a joey.