Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Hello offseason thread. So what's happening with the fully interchangeable midpack drivers Magnussen, Ericsson, and Hulkenberg? Are they still around in 2019?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

LochNessMonster posted:

Don’t forget the man who turns a top tier car into a reliable midpack finisher, Bottas.

Why would Mercedes keep this guy around? If ferarri didn’t Ferrari themselves out of the WDC they would’ve taken WCC for sure.

I almost added him but then specifically left him out because he's a blatant high profile failure, where the others are generic interchangeable midpackers.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Personal or family convictions for tax fraud is a requirement for a superlicense isn't it?

Bernie definitely approved of the mom's "business".

Schlesische posted:

Having said that, there's precious few people in F1 who out and out don't deserve a drive. Even Sebastian "Fraudulent pissbaby supreme" Vettel deserves a seat. It's really only Stroll and even he has shown that he can drive an F1 car at F1 race speeds when given an F1 car and not a garbage fire on wheels.

Yeah, I can give Stroll that much credit at least. He's bad, but he wasn't a complete and utter fuckup all of the time.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Theophany posted:

Buy what you want if you can afford it. People pay tens of thousands for watches when a £10 Timex will do you just fine.

1500quidpoocati posted:

lol if you don't alternate between wearing an entry level Seiko Automatic and a Casio F91w

Been genuinely tempted to get a Bagelgauss lately

Yes! Offseason watchtalk is back!

I can't get behind the goofy bagel watches, but the milgauss replica at least looks OK from a distance.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

1500quidpoocati posted:

I literally just spent loving $60 getting the scratched up glass replaced on my Seiko so I'm looking for more cheap dumb seikos at this point in time the AE1200 is calling to me cause that looks awesome as poo poo. Wanna get a GS at some point in the next year or two though.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Wear an Omega like me

Both nice options, and both on my list. I think the Omega Aqua Terra is one of the most versatile, overall great looking watches out there. And Grand Seiko makes some killer models that would also be fantastic for dress or casual.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

OhsH posted:

gently caress off

I'm sorry, but anyone who supports Lance Stroll as a driver has legitimate brain damage. Can I take you back to the hospital you have clearly escaped from, sir?

Pvt. Public posted:

I have owned a couple Breitlings and they are fine, I guess. Same goes for Rolex. The only one I own has sentimental value and I rarely wear it anyway. I'm rocking a Blancpain Villeret every day now and I love it. I have a Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso and a Ulysse Nardin San Marco that are my dress watches and a Grand Seiko that I wear occasionally for Reasons.

That being said, if I could stomach the cost I'd be in on Audemars Piguet Tourbillion in a heartbeat.

Pvt. Public taking a big bite out of the 2018 watchtalk thread. Nice unique choices. Tourbillions have never really interested me, which is good because they are firmly out of my price range.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

learnincurve posted:

Minicurve is going to be in the papers because she’s currently being headhunted by several major engineering firms, and the RAF, at 14. She’s currently researching who at NASA and formula 1 to send the article to.

Machiavellian child is going to go far.

Very cool LC, I hope she does well for herself. Maybe she can be the one to fix this terrible dead sport.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

learnincurve posted:

She’s interested in aerodynamics/electronics so McLaren WCC 2028

Toxx that!

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

The only obsolete team I have merch from is Mclaren. I have a coffee mug (that's actually pretty nice) and a JB22 flag that I got for like $4.00.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

The Kimoa Kid posted:

W Series released a list of potential entrants: https://www.motorsport.com/w-series/news/wseries-preliminary-driver-list/4305372/

No Florsch (not sure how long she'll be recovering), no Deegan, otherwise I don't see anyone missing. There are several drivers in their 30s, which seems too old for this sort of thing. Also Carmen Jorda is on the list, ugh.

I hope Jorda doesn't make the final cut. She will. But when she does, I hope she's embarrassingly bad on track compared to some really fast ladydrivers. :byodame:

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Pvt. Public posted:

Psh, pocket watches are SO 18th century :rolleyes:

loving hipsters.

Yeah, I wasn't too keen on them until I got up close and personal with one. Watching the tourbillon mechanism work its magic was mesmerizing. The more I examined it and wore it, it just felt right for some reason.

No argument that they're super cool to watch and what they actually do is impressive. I'm sure if I put the right one on my wrist I'd be sold too. Not literally because I would have to sell most of my organs to afford one. (actually Sea-Gull makes one for around $1k, and there are a few others too)

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

McGuinty posted:

I have one but it’s a family heirloom that was passed down to me by my grandfather before he passed away. I don’t think it has much value beyond the sentimental.

Lmao you’re dating a clown now? Do you honk her nose in bed?

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Pvt. Public posted:

I actually traded in one of my Breitlings and paid cash on the taxes for mine, so it was a pretty easy sell overall. I want to get my hands on one of those Sea-Gulls and see how they feel. I have a friend that has one and he likes it and said he doesn't notice any fit and finish difference between it and the higher-cost brands. I can afford the higher-priced ones, but for the same reason I don't own supercars, I don't like to feel like I'm wasting money unnecessarily so I'd gladly "trade down" into a Sea-Gull if it strikes me the same way.

My wife has a skeleton Sea-Gull and it has actually held up really well over the past 8 years or so. Most of their designs are a little flat to me, but they do have a nice looking submariner clone.

Assuming her engineering skills are fine, have you seen her interact with her peers and authorities at school? Does she know how to maneuver in complicated adversarial social hierarchies? To play off the ambitions and fears of others without their understanding? To manipulate and control for personal gain and advancement? Then send that CV to Scuderia Ferrari

Also, tourbillons are worthless crap unless it's a gyrotourbillon

(now obligatory) Hi, not a gyrotoubillion!

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Dudley posted:

They claim it's on performance, if she makes the cut we know that was a lie. She's 5 seconds slower a lap than Alice "Who?" Powell in the same car.

Unfortunately she's been so vocal about this topic I'm sure she'll find a way to get a drive, even if it's just to get more medi attention on the series. But that will make it satisfying to see her at the bottom of the lap times.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

poty posted:

Of course the mods would love to waste a top British talent in an EU-run bureaucracy hell.

Get that kid into the UK Space Agency and she'll be making the NHS rich from mined moon diamonds before George Russell's 3rd WDC.

The UK has a space agency?

Well... I say!

djssniper posted:

Just a guess.. did Honda make the mechanism?

Honda made a mechanism to deploy a single petal, which worked fine in lab testing.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

I feel #megablessed to be reading this page with both pee and poo references. New heights achieved!

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

DoctorGonzo posted:

This is some kind of racism against latinos?

Also im going to buy this

https://www.zmart.cl/scripts/prodview.asp?idProduct=73924

Then you can recreate these precious forums avatars in your own home!

and

Goddamn that second one took me way too long to find.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

You posted more than once on this page?

I didn't even get my post on the page with the pee and poo so somehow I'm even worse than that.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

DoctorGonzo posted:

the first guy is some ducati loser or somesuch

Well, kind of the same, just another red Italian failteam.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

I don't do twitter, and I was pretty sure reddit was 100% toxic garbage, but now it seems to come up a lot more frequently in search results for regular topics and I guess I have found some use for it.

Isn't the bodybuilding forum generally regarded as the most worthless, offensive place on earth?

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

The Kimoa Kid posted:

I only vaguely remember Perez at McLaren

Because he was completely forgettable. The Stoff of his time. But he'll still beat Stroll, no question about it. Maybe once a mediocre driver like Checo puts Stroll in his place (in the team his daddy owns) we can finally agree that he's poo poo.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Marx Verstappen is a polarizing figure, indeed.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Minto Took posted:

I hope the pistonheads Max thread is filled with so much slash fiction that even Khablam would say, “no, this is a step too far.”

"Max slowly put one bare foot on the ladder. The cool aluminum was refreshing against the contrast of his hot skin..."

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Here we go... :gonk:

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Frond posted:

Perez has matured into a decent driver.

He's OK, but still nothing special. Like he manages to keep the drama to a minimum, but he doesn't really seem do punch above his weight. Pretty standard mid-packer I'd say. I would definitely rate him higher than a lot of the others though (Grosjean, Stroll, Kvyyat, etc.)

edit: your assessment of "decent driver" is pretty spot on.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

DoctorGonzo posted:

lewis hamilton: transphobic, abusive to his girlfriend and to animals. really bad person! BAD HOMBRE!!

But are you allowed to use the bidet on his #megajet? That is the only pertinent question at the moment.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

GramCracker posted:

i don't want a human child

Definitely do not get one of these if you don't want one. But at least I only have to clean up their poops for like 3 years, then they wipe themselves (mostly).

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Seb almost causing an incident there with some reckless walking. Should have Charlie review the footage to see if a penalty can be applied.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

ilmucche posted:

Anime is worse than alcoholism gonzo

Anime is very bad. I'd take alcoholism over an anime addiction 8 days a week.

Other things that are bad:
Lance Stroll
Cast iron cookware
Romain Grosjean
Dogs
Ferrari
Completos
Formula 1

Edit: ladders

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Actually yeah, he is a bit "uncanny valley".

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

GramCracker posted:

Anime is not worse than Lance Stroll

It's hard to say, they're both very very bad.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

BubbaGrace posted:

So does Sauber and F1 itself.

Someone please make accounts for all the teams, and for F1, and for Bernie. We should give them a chance to participate here for proper F1 related discourse, and to get their opinions on cookware.

track day bro! posted:

Also apparently bad fraudulent 5 time WDC poois shamilton tested a WSBK, maybe branching out to other forms of fraudulence?????

I strongly dislike Hamilton for a lot of reasons, but even I have to admit that this is kind of a cool and fun thing to do. If it was some other driver who wasn't a smug, petulant, toilet-phobic idiot then I would probably support their efforts to do cool and fun stuff.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

What the gently caress is going on with the outfits on those servants/stagehands?

And Lewis' random green pants??

(F1 offseason fashion-threadposting)

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

For someone with so much experience, Saward offers surprisingly bottom-rung journalism.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

"What's the problem for all those poors? They can't afford gas to get to the local F1 gala event?"

- Joe's Award (probably)

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Can we get a ladder analogy for Brexit?

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

1500quidpoocati posted:

This poo poo wouldn’t be happening if I got a Lada.

Khablam can tell you the best Lada to get.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

The Kimoa Kid posted:

You'll never see high enough to find McLaren's problems on a Lidl Lada.

:discourse:

High levels of synergy on this page.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

ilmucche posted:

Brexit is like taking the snap decision to jump off a helicopter rescue ladder back into the chilean mountains because someone at the top said "hey, you'll have to share your blanket with someone" and you didn't stop to think that maybe that's still better than freezing to death by yourself like a loving moron

I like this.

Powershift posted:

https://twitter.com/oneplus/status/1072476095067242496

GP2 phone

I would imagine the battery can't last a whole race.

That was the most boring "unveiling" of a product I can remember seeing.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

I'd like to see Mick do well, especially in F1. I don't know if he'll actually get here, and if so, if he'll be anything more than a placeholder trading on his dad's name... but it would be rewarding to see him come in and raise the bar for all the other drivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Theophany posted:

Football, not to be confused with advertising interspersed with pituitary retards smashing their skulls together as it is in the USA, is an honest and noble sport.

Soccer has more fake injuries then Monday Night RAW.

Minto Took posted:

Attn: DoctorGonzo

For your consideration:

Oh god, don't eat it. You haven't done anything that requires this punishment.