Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robin Williams
Aug 11, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Whats the deal with this guy?

Please respond here about him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
He understands the us is bad so I am a Y

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Look at how excited these dogs at the dog shelter he runs are to see him

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1066799999319707648

He hires homeless people to run it to help get them off the street

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/988394279956549632

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

He had some bad views and was a libertarian but he doesn't seem to be a libertarian any more and mostly seems alright, at least by the standards of western media in that he's not just a lazy nationalist.

Also his husband is way out of his league & that's cool.

Robin Williams
Aug 11, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
The Intercept Y/N?

Jeremy Scahill Y/N?

Assange Y/N?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

y/?/n

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Seems like kind of a dumbass. Probably better off not getting involved in politics or journalism.

Kosani
Jun 30, 2004
Ni ni.

Pollyanna posted:

Seems like kind of a dumbass. Probably better off not getting involved in politics or journalism.

Just like the rest of us. :classiclol:

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Robin Williams posted:

The Intercept Y/N?

Jeremy Scahill Y/N?

Assange Y/N?

I like The Intercept and Scahill, for the most part. He seems laser focused on making sure to remind his audience that America is no peach re: the history of the CIA, FBI, and corporate influence on American foreign policy.. He relates most, if not all things happening in the world to some connection to the world's history of colonialism and imperialism and service to capitalism.

I like him, but at some points I find the same outrage repeated over and over gets a little tedious.

I usually bounce out of the podcast when the musical guest comes on. Haven't listened to it in a few months, though.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

he's the not totally lovely version of batman.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Y on some things n on other things

Politics is a world of contrasts

Robin Williams
Aug 11, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Glen N

The Intercept Y?

Jeremy Y

Assange N

Robin Williams
Aug 11, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Pollyanna posted:

This is where I have ended up after years of him existing.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Y he triggers the libs

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Glenn's skepticism of the government asserting things without evidence, even if they're things that seem obvious and WELL DUH to everyone is incredibly important. The run-up to Iraq shouldn't be forgiven, and to have at least one credible voice in the media screaming SHOW YOUR WORK to every assertion is useful and vital, no matter how bad it pisses off people across the political spectrum.

As for the handwringing over his his appearances on FOX, it's utterly disingenuous when you can show Democrat after Democrat on the same channel, without having been accused of being collaborators or whatever.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Glenn doesn't ever really have high peaks, but he managed some impressively dumb valleys. I see no reason to listen to him over people who can also say some generally true things while also not having some supergiant blue-white hot takes on stuff like russia.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

forkboy84 posted:

He had some bad views and was a libertarian but he doesn't seem to be a libertarian any more and mostly seems alright, at least by the standards of western media in that he's not just a lazy nationalist.

Even his bad opinions are, in my opinion, less harmful than the lazy nationalism the vast majority of US politicians and media figures default to. I'd rather have someone who is overly skeptical about US government claims about the actions of foreign dictators than someone who blindly accepts everything the US government claims at face value, at least in the context of our current world.

A lot of the criticism of him isn't exactly wrong, but is heavily disproportionate when countless other more mainstream figures, both liberal and conservative, are guilty of far worse.

edit: Basically he seems to have found himself on the list of "people liberals feel compelled to state their distaste for in an effort to broadcast that they are reasonable and not like Those Loony Lefties"

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 28, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Glenn Greenwald is the textbook definition of "right, but also a huge douchebag." He's a good reporter who can write stellar, genuinely amazing journalism. His work on factory farming is impeccable for example. But he is one of those people who transitioned from white fuckboi Republican to leftist and he's not all the way there yet. So he's still in that douchebag anti-establishment libertarian phase where he defines his politics by how he stands against the Man rather than any kind of coherent ideology, shies away from identifying as leftist, etc. This is why his critique of the Russia investigation is basically contrarianism and "where's your evidence nerd" rather than rising to any kind of criticism of capitalism itself, ACAB, etc. He will hopefully stop pretending one of these days and just accept that he's a leftist now and he can talk about Marx and take a position, it's ok, no one will hurt you Greenwald.

He also needs to stop going on Tucker, like seriously.

The Intercept is generally good as far as I know, I have no particular opinion on Scahill. Assange is trash and he ruined a good thing with Wikileaks imo.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Everyone involved with wikileaks has turned out to be a massive sex pest

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

N. His only real position is "America bad" with no nuance or thought of any kind attached. He is beloved mostly by leftists who also take that position. He is also a very irresponsible journalist. Just ask Reality Winner.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Clearly I need to do the same old masterpost I always do since the same old dumbasses are showing up with the same old lies.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Ogmius815 posted:

N. His only real position is "America bad" with no nuance or thought of any kind attached. He is beloved mostly by leftists who also take that position. He is also a very irresponsible journalist. Just ask Reality Winner.

Jesus this is so lazy.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Ogmius815 posted:

if only he hadn't shown you that Obama thought your civil rights were a joke, to which Trump was the punchline...

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ogmius815 posted:

Has it ever been proved he had any responsibility in the Reality Winner debacle? I was left with the understanding he wasn't directly involved and she also was a little bit of a gently caress up by sending stuff from her work computer.

I mean if you want to assign him blame because he's the founder then ok I guess but I don't know that he has any direct personal responsibility that's been proven?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
It's going to be great to see how many times people bring up reality winner, when it's been established again and again that he didn't edit or write the story over the documents she leaked, and when her indictment makes clear that the primary reason they found her was because she emailed the intercept from her work computer and work email.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
'more like reality loser'
-glem greenwald, probably

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Robin Williams posted:

Whats the deal with this guy?

Please respond here about him

I for one second do not believe you are Robin Williams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I think that OP's question has been sufficiently answered by people who stand on both sides of the issue, and as it is not a very substantive thread, I am closing it. Thank you everyone who contributed.