Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

There is radiation in space but like, you are wildly overstating things, there is less radiation in interstellar space than in the solar system. It's a thing you'd have to design for but it's not some mystical force that would reduce all physical objects to ruin. You can just put a wall in front of something and it stops radiation too, and our solar system and most others have very convenient giant collections of free rocks you can take in any size you need for the trip right at the exits.

Also a dude not being able to go isn't really a barrier to a species spreading to a whole galaxy anyway. like if it's a million years from now and we are really sure we absolutely can't send any dudes we could still just send bunches and bunches of those bacteria that live 6 miles deep in rocks in little sealed up ecosystems and spray them in every direction nonstop and make sure to include plenty of very sturdy bibles and ayn rand books or whatever it is we feel will be important for our weird kids to find in a hundred million years to pass on to them. we could still colonize the galaxy with earth life even if we don't get to come personally

With sufficient technology you could just send frozen sperm and eggs and inseminate / incubate upon landing. Maybe do some shifts - start with the anerobic bacteria, then once the atmosphere is good in a few thousand years move on to other bacteria and fungi, then plants and animals etc with a goal of launching your first batch of humans 5,000 - 10,000 years after landing. Maybe you have a master ship that sits in orbit and launches poo poo down to the planet as needed.

As technology increases it opens new avenues for colonization. Technological advance also makes old avenues that were deemed too costly or inappropriate more accessible for smaller groups of people. Maybe 10,000 years from now Earth could come together to create the USS Inseminator and send her to the stars, but in 11,000 years a single country could do it, and in 13,000 years it could be a school time capsule type project.

I guess the same goes for world ending technology. Today the world could probably unite and create a disease that wipes us all out. In the year 2218 maybe Canada can do it alone. In 2518 maybe a small group of incels can do it.

Maybe that’s the solution - as tech advances it just gets too easy for a handful of idiots to kill everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Here's an idea: how about we don't further infect the galaxy with our brand of disgusting bio spooge. Maybe Earth-originated life isn't a very good thing in the cosmic view of things, and we should endeavor to contain it instead of spewing it everywhere out of some bullshit lizard-brain directive to "GROW, EXPAND, EXPLODE".

Like, anyone who makes that argument always sounds like a cancer cell learned how to talk, it's really gross.

Congrats on missing the point that as technology advances it takes less people and a smaller share of resources to do something like this, which means eventually you'll reach a point where a small group with a moderate resource budget can do it, and they won't care about your morality or mine or anyone's besides their own.

Also the first few hundred million years on earth were single celled life figuring poo poo out, and whoever cornered GROW/EXPAND/EXPLODE seems to have ran away with that game - I'm not sure how you imagine single celled life dominating with a different strategy? I know it probably feels great to sit there and declare your galaxy brain view that the history of life on earth and all of the creatures contained within are a disgusting cancer that should be exterminated from the pure and noble cosmos, but what I don't understand is how you picture single celled life evolving without some drive to grow or expand itself in some capacity.

I guess I should just be surprised that it took more than 2 pages to reach "earth life is a cancer that should be exterminated".

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

This planet will never, ever be rid of us. We will be scurrying around on its surface from now until the sun swallows us whole.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's always weird how much people treat medieval europe as like, the true base state of man that we will all return to technology wise. Like once mankind falls we will get crossbows but not Chu-ko-nu, we can have compasses but not AM radios, germ theory is definitely getting forgotten somehow, we can invent metal but no movable type printing. Like people always talk like it's time travel, not any sort of reasoned out list of what would or wouldn't be likely to be lost if things go bad. (and it also is always seemingly based on like, there being brain and book erasers and everyone losing every single thing and material that is currently around)

Agreed. People will live, knowledge will survive, and plants will exist.

The question is how many people will live, how much knowledge will survive, and how many plants that are edible or useful will exist.

For better or worse, we're either gonna die with this planet when the sun engulfs us, or we'll successfully leave this planet and die in the heat death of our universe.

If you think Humanity is gonna get a pass by easily dying off once the coastal cities flood, you are so loving wrong.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

You can burn wood or even dry bushes to run a steam engine. You can make low efficiency solar panels in a factory powered by low efficiency solar panels. Only having electricity when it’s sunny outside is way better than never having electricity.

A ton of things are possible - they just aren’t done today because there’s more efficient alternatives. Take those alternatives away and you have a ton of options left.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

There’s also enough uranium and thorium to power us for thousands of years. The economics may not work today and the public support might not be there, but drain our fossil fuel sources and give people a summer without air conditioning and that’ll change real fast.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Well a quick glance shows that we have vehicles that combust hydrocarbons, we send radio signals into space, and we build structures that are hundreds of stories tall, so I think they already know we understand how triangles work.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Yeah I’m sure the average forums user who takes the advice to draw a triangle in the dirt for first contact will be able to use underlying mathematical relationships to create a common language with an entirely alien species.

In all honesty a society making first contact has probably been monitoring our communications and media for a while, so your best bet is to act like a generic human who is kind and friendly.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

We have satellites in space - they know we know how to count to 20.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Drawing things in the dirt also assumes the aliens you’re trying to communicate with use sight in our visual range as a primary sensory input. If their main sense is acoustic or touch or smell you’re not going to get very far by drawing in the dirt.

Do you think you’d be able to pick out the Pythagorean theorem expressed as a series of smells?

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Given enough time I wonder how far a species could get just through practical engineering with no real understanding of the math or science theory of anything.

Like some million year old species that just figured out nuclear power and rocketry by long long trial and error and really has nothing but an extremely hazy grasp of how anything works. Like humans understood how to make and use x-rays before knowing really anything about the physics or math of them,what if we never bothered to go past that. What if as a species we just decided that is how things went and stuff just worked how it worked and never had much mind to ever figure out the details.

Like I wonder if you could meet an advanced civilization that just skipped math or theory and only developed through experimentation and trial and error.

You would need some level of mathematics to do even the most basic trial and error. Even if you blindly toss things together you need a concept of counting to know the size of the thing you want to recreate and a concept of measurement to recreate it.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

1glitch0 posted:

I feel like I have to put a thousand disclaimers before I make a post like this so I disavow myself from flat-earthers or anti-science people, etc. I accept the science as is. But I have a very hard time wrapping my mind around the concept of existence in general. Like, it just happened? There was a big explosion for some reason and here we are? When I think about it I almost get vertigo. Why does anything exist and not nothing? What existed a second before the big bang? And if the answer is nothing, isn't that a bit of a cop out? How did that happen? It seems to be a giant thing no one talks about.

The idea that the big bang just puked out everything and here we are doesn't really solve the question of where did the big bang come from. Where did the universe COME FROM? I'm an atheist so I don't have any easy answers. The math and the physics might work out, but why did a universe suddenly exist?

You can dive down rabbit holes with things like m theory - basically what we consider “the universe” is one of many objects in a 11 dimensional realm and the Big Bang was our object crashing into another object. We have zero evidence for this but it’s possible things could exist outside of our universe.

In hand with this, the question “what happened before the Big Bang” doesn’t make any sense. You go backwards in time to reach the Big Bang. It’s where time starts. It’s similar to there being nothing north of the North Pole. That doesn’t mean things can’t exist outside of time. You can’t reach Saturn by going north, south, east, or west - you need a new coordinate system to get there. The same thing may apply here - there may be things that exist outside of our universe that we need a new coordinate system to discuss.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Humans invented lots of physical processes empirically and then worked out the math or basic theory on it much much later.

Yes but they had at least a simple level of math and measure for any kind of construction. You don’t need to understand the reason behind a certain ratio working for a bridge, but you do need to be able to measure a bridge that works and use those ratios on your next bridge.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Only if you are a species that cares about that sort of thing. The "never thought too much about science or math" species could just brute force it forever, only build absurdly expensive and hard to make continuous span beam bridges that they eyeballed the dimensions on and just count that as good enough, and never get too ambitious about improving bridge making and just labeling any feature that a beam bridge wouldn't work on as being unbridgeable. They would probably come to our planet and be really wowed that we have more than seven bridges and that a ton of them use 1% the material theirs do, but if they wanted to cross a river and had resources to spend they could do it, even if they never did a single bit of math and just kept trying and just never used anything but the most simple and straightforward bridge design.

They’re not coming to our planet because space is really, really, really big and they’ll be floating in empty space forever if they launch without math to set a course.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I feel like I wouldn’t bet money that every single human astronaut even knows trigonometry

Wow congratulations you've discovered that education levels vary among individuals within an organization.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The point is we might not need to even find an alien astronaut to find a space man that said “I don’t know the Pythagorean theorem”

I agree, and I don’t believe drawing a triangle in the dirt is going to do much anyway. If you come across an alien I think you should act like a normal friendly human, because if they’re peaceful they either already know what that looks like through monitoring our media and will appreciate the fact that you are a normal friendly human, or you’re the example they’ll use as generic human going forward.

If they’re not peaceful your dirt triangle isn’t going to help you.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Is there any reason why you couldn’t go wood - biofuel - solar/wind - nuclear?

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

To generate power you just need to turn a turbine. Humans have found heating water to create steam works well, especially when you heat that water with fossil fuels or nuclear reactors. But you could heat that water with concentrated sunlight or volcanoes or anything that burns. You could also turn that turbine with animals or wind or flowing water or anything else that can move it.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

1glitch0 posted:

This is what people don't seem to get. It reminds me of one of my favorite parts of a Hitchhiker' Guide to the Galaxy book. Where Authur finds himself on a desolate planet and realizes he only knows how to make sandwiches. Doesn't know how to make electricity or build a house or make medicine or successfully farm, or make a space ship.

Knowing what I know about humans, if there is a massive catastrophe where there are only say a few million peoples left it very much depends on who those people are to try and restart any of this technology and it probably won't be their top priority instead of maybe staying alive for the night. You could hand me all the books on how to remake a nuclear reactor, but guess what, I can't do it.

You’d be able to make a water wheel or windmill to process grain, and later generations could build a dam or wind generator off of that, and even later generations could build batteries and solar/nuclear generators off of the power from the dams or wind generators. Hell you could even solve the battery issue by just using pumped hydro everywhere - it’s terribly destructive on the environment, but so is the coal and plastic based society we’ve built.

I understand that coal and oil might make things easier but there are absolutely pathways from rocks to nuclear generators without them. This idea that coal and oil make us special and no one could possibly have our technology level without them just seems like another self congratulatory homosapien circle jerk.

Given the size of the universe there are surely a massive number of species that have advanced way more than we have with way less resources.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

ErIog posted:

The thing you're missing is that the process by which all modern poo poo got developed has resulted in incredibly optimized versions of everything that require massive industrial processes to reproduce.

It's just as likely they would look at a modern version of a thing and conclude there's no possible way to build any version of it because they lack access to all the incredibly specific things that go into the modern version but are not actually core to the original lovely inefficient versions that the technology started from.

Your point here is like, "well, if they're working from a iPhone then clearly they'll be able to build at least an Altair..." but that logic doesn't actually follow. Despite both being computers, they're engineered completely differently. Modern light bulbs are increasingly becoming another example of this. Would discovering a modern LED bulb actually lead to being able to build something similar to the early filament bulbs? I don't really think so.

I think given enough time technology could re-develop, but I really don't think it's as easy as Ash making his own gunpowder in Army of Darkness.

I think time is a fair point. But even if we assume it'll take 10 times as long to develop technology without coal and oil and we go from arrowheads to nuclear reactors in 3 million years instead of 300,000, that's still a flash in the pan on the scale of the universe.

Also sure an LED artifact might not be useful to someone from 1920 but for someone from 500 BC the glass, metal, and plastic in a landfill would probably find a lot of use.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

You searched the whole thread and the quote you came up with doesn’t even have the poster saying they believe FTL is real?

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Conspiratiorist posted:

No I went back to the last FTL discussion the thread had which was like 10 pages ago, where notions of "FTL violating causality doesn't mean it can't real" started getting thrown about.

You said people were yelling at you that FTL was real. Someone asked you to quote anyone yelling at you that FTL was real. You quoted a post that didn’t claim FTL was real.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

eXXon posted:

Living in space loving sucks and it is so tedious to listen to space fetishists wax poetic about how amazing it would be to live somewhere other than a planet that is ideally suited for human life. Why not obsess over colonizing Antarctica instead of Mars?

A rotating space habitat might be okay, if we can ever create an artificial biosphere that doesn't result explosive ant populations.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

So let’s just turn the universe into a singularity and then we can all travel faster than light and sideways in time.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

dex_sda posted:

that said I doubt the second planet wouldn't have life, I think a big asteroid collision would carry enough life on it to seed the other world if conditions were close enough. who could say

Also isn’t O2 highly reactive and only in our atmosphere in useful quantities because of life?

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Arglebargle III posted:

[citation impossible]

If you have liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen you can launch a rocket. You can create those with electricity and water. You can create electricity from moving water.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

StratGoatCom posted:

What about the rocket itself, or the chemical practicality of making some parts? Petrochemicals are a scaffold that allow systems to be grown in ways that would be very difficult or impracticable without them. Its doable, but an utter bastard to do without.

And fundamentally a post collapse system would have to rebuild a lot from scratch - knowledgebases and industrial bases atrophy without use, before the ravages of collapse or simply having different resource priorities.

Let’s assume you need petrochemicals to create a rocket. You know that petrochemicals were not created at the time of the Big Bang, right? Every drop of oil or whiff of natural gas was created by subjecting organic matter to heat and pressure. Organic matter isn’t going away and if you have electricity you can make heat and pressure. This is also assuming it is impossible to create a rocket without petrochemicals - something I have not seen proven.

I understand that trying to run a modern 2020 style industrial system seems impossible without petrochemicals, but that’s because our current system was designed around them. If you are starting from scratch and do not have them, you will develop differently. Electricity is the key, and I see no reason why a civilization couldn’t go from water wheels to dams to some mix of wind/solar/fission.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Most of the world thinks we’re living in god’s simulation anyway. The only difference here is a more technologically rooted origin story.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Yeah being able to say "the world is a simulation and we can use it to our advantage in the following ways:" would be different but right now you're just ripping out the abrahamic god's 7 days and tossing in a thousand entry level alien coders making poo poo wages.

Fundamentally it's no different from any other origin story - it's mildly entertaining the first time you hear it but without predictive power it's just another folktale.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Raenir Salazar posted:

Don't think so. First, I am not positing FTL. That isn't what my post is doing. I am asking why the thought experiment I am asking wouldn't work.

I think the most obvious issue is that the relationship of your speed vs your energy input is asymptotic to the speed of light, so you'd have to plug "infinity" energy into your propulsion to reach the point where your thought experiment could happen.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

D-Pad posted:

He can clarify, but I don't think he is proposing coming back the original universe. I think he is saying now you live in the new universe. Since it is identical who cares, it's all the same to you. You didn't violate causality in your new universe because your starting point wasn't within the new universe, but you are at your intended destination at faster than the speed of light from your frame of reference.

I think some people would take issue with the concept of dooming your spouse/friends/family to a lifetime without you, even if you personally get to spend your life with exact duplicates of them.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

D-Pad posted:

The whole "now we have awesome cell phone cameras and the videos are still poo poo" argument gets brought up a lot, but cell phone cameras are not made to have the ability to focus correctly on lit objects far away in the sky. They don't have telephoto lenses, the sensors are too small for great low light performance (without long exposures), etc. Seriously, go out tonight and try to take a video of a plane that is clearly a plane when looking at it and then compare your eyesight with the video. Hell, do it during the day. They just aren't designed for it.

Okay what has happened to the price point and availability of cameras capable of capturing this? What has happened to the number and quality of professional grade telescopes worldwide? What has happened to military radar systems in countries around the world? What has happened to the instruments and tools available to pilots and air traffic controllers worldwide?

Additionally the quality of personal cell phone cameras may be less than you deem worthy, but the quantity has gone through the roof. Where are the events where thousands of people capture something strange on their phones at the same time?

A GIANT PARSNIP fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 31, 2020

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Aliens aren’t visiting earth, and no one here has any proof to the contrary. I don’t really know what there is to debate or discuss beyond that.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It's kind of depressing to think that there are likely technological civilizations all across the universe but that we're not in range of their transmissions and that in all likelihood if we ever hear those transmissions, it will be at a time when they will have already been extinct for thousands or millions of years. Even if we can watch a technosignature through a telescope from 47,000 light years away, we can never know very much about the species we're watching.

It's stuff like that which makes me wonder if the eventual detection of another civilization will have much of a cultural effect on the people of Earth. Wouldn't it be a bit like knowing about dinosaurs, in that it's knowledge that is cool in the abstract, but extremely limited and which has almost no effect on our experience or future possibilities?

It depends on what we receive. If it’s just a quick blip I think people will freak out but it will be forgotten. I think it will hold more attention if it’s either a steady stream of information or different bursts sent intermittently, as that brings the prospect of new knowledge.

My understanding is that we’ve searched a comically small number of stars and frequencies in depth, so we might be getting bathed in signals filled with the secrets of the universe and have no idea.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I guess I am imagining a civilization much more advanced than ours who is sending out targeted signals to other star systems. Our current understanding of physics does not allow for FTL travel, but it does allow a civilization to capture most of the energy output by their star and to use some of that immense energy to build giant gently caress off transmitters and send targeted signals around the galaxy as a vanity project.

Having even a basic understanding of how a civilization a million years ahead of ours functions would shed some massive light on technological paths filled with ripe and unpicked fruit, not to mention the societal impact of seeing a more advanced future and knowing we can achieve that too through research.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Would the detection of cfcs or really anything else in an atmosphere be a slam dunk for intelligent life? Or would it just launch a century long discussion on if those molecules could be created naturally?

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Seems like once you had a few satellites and some receivers you would have functionally infinite fuel/energy for putting up more.

I could see raw material being a problem. Sure you can use the asteroid belt and the oort cloud and maybe the moons of Mars, but if you need more material after that you're dealing with gravity wells and the equation may turn net energy negative.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Seems like it’d be break even, it would cost a lot to put up one solar satellite and a receiver, but at some point you’d be launching the 500th one using the power you get from the first 499, then the rest are all functionally free

Thinking a bit more theoretically they could just turn the matter directly into energy in the gravity well using one of those fancy black hole reactors or something else we can barely comprehend. The basic physics of E=MC^2 make converting matter to energy at least theoretically possible, so it's above FTL travel on the list of things we can dream about.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Rappaport posted:

Tilting at windmills here, but: There's no way (that we know of) to get there, but it would be possible to communicate once we knew exactly where they were. It would be hilariously expensive to build the kind of, I dunno, laser system perhaps? to do it with, but theoretically you could beam something at them. Of course there's no guarantee they'd respond, and since the potential back-and-forth would take centuries or more, it wouldn't be much more than saying 'hello, we exist, how are you people doing?'. But it's the same logic as with those gold plates on the Voyagers, just taken to an extreme. And this way there'd be more of a chance of a response, at least.

We could send 200 year blinks at each other, until one of the two blinks stopped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

There could be hundreds of sapient species in our galaxy right now - there just may be no solution to FTL travel, so even the most advanced of them inhabit their own star system and maybe have some automated research stations in the star systems around them. The least advanced are all sitting around a fire in animal skins pondering about the four humors and the basic building blocks of earth/fire/wind/water/aether.

Even if we had orbital habitats around Earth and lunar/martian research colonies and a huge gently caress off solar array to capture massive amounts of energy from our sun we would still be pretty much undetectable to another civilization of our current state of technology.