Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I can't believe it, I did it. I finally caught up, after over 500 pages.

At last I am free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Now begins the winter of our discount Garbage Pail Kids

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

The emphasis on "dreams" in Japanese media (at least the weeb kind) is always huge. I wonder if it's there in actual Japanese society.

It's interesting that such a basic theme is fairly rare in Western media though. Things are almost always thrust upon the protagonists rather than them seeking out some goal.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Only madmen share their romantic life with their parents.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I am IN for the bad UX arc

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Slimy Hog posted:

Neet is 15

Your average Japanese male is in a perpetual state of adolescence. You know, arrested development.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

That's just what a human would say!!

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

If there is anything I know, it's that after a bad social event or news when I get home and I'm all alone, I definitely feel much better and forget all snout it.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Youlube

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Mob doesn't deserve this.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Devils Affricate posted:

I haven't heard of that game before, but I'm guessing it's cooperative, not competitive. Japanese words that end with N are hardly rare, so choosing one would kind of be like throwing the frisbee way over your friend's head.

It's competitive but you lose if your word ends with n. So ChatGPT lost. What does an ai care about winning?

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Just caught up.

Why would Tohru do this??

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Is "disarray" instead of "disorder" some kind of Berenstein Bears situation

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I was well-prepared for the fact that Generic Japanese Parents won't be able to handle or supportive of their son when he talks about suicide. But alas I am still disappointed.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

If I'm not mistaken he just said it's the first time in his life he feels like he wishes he knew English

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Vic posted:

I can't speak any japanese, but there's something with ChatGPT and how Daisuke found out about the forums?

He was asking about letting ChatGPT translate SA for him, or else translate the comic. My Japanese is pretty crap too.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

He also mentioned that if you can't register for patreon, you can support him by subscribing to his YT page.

So like PENGUINMAN said, he found the thread just by searching stuff related to himself (and the comic).

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Space Kablooey posted:

So I'm confused. Is PENGUINMAN the author or someone else?

Someone else. Just appears to be a long-time livestream follower.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

pnumoman posted:

Listening to the dude talk about the forums with my tiny bit of Japanese makes me wonder, how the hell would I explain the forums to someone who speaks English, much less a foreign language? A cesspool of old nerds of all types? An insular backwater of the internet that used to be big, is now irrelevant, yet still exists? The last vestige of the old internet that sucked but is still better than what's out there? The forums our NEET would frequent if he knew English?

He compared it to 2ch which is a Japanese imageboard. I guess it's not -too- far away. He said that he thinks that because SA costs money people are probably less toxic though.

Honestly, he'd probably be happy if someone helped him post the translated comics to his site in some way, but that's for the translators and him to decide I think.

kiminewt fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 28, 2023

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

If anyone wants to catch one of his streams, it looks like he mainly draws & plays videogames. Next one's on Friday.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Maybe NEET parents are somewhat to blame for his dependent situation.

He can't make rice so he can't live alone? Just let him go and he'll figure it out on his own eventually. Get him a goddamn cookbook. Or teach him when he's 14 and not 30.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I had to teach my dad how to do laundry. He's 68.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Like most people, I have every panel printed and am willing to mail it whereever is someone will give me some stamps

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I'm really nervous that NEET won't be able to get through this and go back to being coddled. What an awful lose-lose situation.

Gamer NEET can go gently caress himself however

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Hey remember that OG NEET still exists in this timeline?

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Goddammit. I was also really hoping he gets his life sorted out. Maybe the author is firmly in the "nature" camp of the nature vs nurture debate.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Daiisuke you absolute maniac

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Two good(?) things happening in a row is making me nervous

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

so is this actually going to amount to anything or..

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

It can't be! The legendary full-time employee?!

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

NEET gonna destroy his chances of having two friends and a full time job to pursue pro gaming, again.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I can't believe I had to watch a seven second ad for this.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I hope the next panel shows NEET got the two characters confused.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Please explain in dragonball terms

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Potential murder starting: let's cut back to this mmo

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Thank you for continuing the censorship redraws, Brother Make

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I for one welcome our new main character

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

This is exactly what I love about this comic. Sorta like dragonball, it doesn't follow the normal rules of a work of fiction. There isn't necessarily going to be a payoff or catharsis or anything.

In a regular work you would know that after the talk with the pro gamer about losing and his conversation with his mum, something dramatic and probably bad is going to happen with this shady looking dude. In this he might just buy some crackers and gently caress off.

I'm on the edge of my goddamn seat.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

hyphz posted:

Was “that isn’t normal” some variant of chigau?

My bet's on "okaashi deshou ?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

pnumoman posted:

In Japan, it's common for homes to have a sink for hand washing on top of the toilet tank so the used water can help fill the tank underneath. They also usually have a little separate room for just the toilet and the sink on top, separate from the rest of the bathroom where you wash your body.

The latter part is also common in Europe and I was surprised to learn recently it's very rare / non-existent in the US.