Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

BigDave posted:

Maybe we need to form a alternative gun group, the American Firearm Association or something.

I'd be down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

BigDave posted:

Firearm Owners of America

Our contention is that gun owners are mostly immature history nerds who target shoot for fun.

We support universal background checks, a ban of the sale of bump stocks, reducing the NFA stamp tax to $25, and re-authorizing the importation of US firearms.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

I don't get that part of it. I read the whole poo poo and was like "hmm maybe dude isn't milkshake duck" and then you reminded me of that bit I glossed over.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Hexyflexy posted:

Absolutely nothing, the entire last 2 years of crap just disappear. That and the inevitable riots, we haven’t had a good one in a while.

gently caress the brits

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Vasudus posted:

It's also funny because a huge amount of large companies already pulled out of the UK in anticipation of Brexit. Sure, some of them will come back but I don't think they all will.

permanently damaging the national economy to almost own the poles

ayy lmao

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

So the money payed to Daniels was illegal but somehow she lost the lawsuit about defamation even with the president calling her Horseface on twitter repeatedly.

I can’t keep up with this.

i can't with this poo poo rn

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Tryzzub posted:

oh did the luftwaffe have scout snipers?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

I don’t get it? Chris Kyle joke?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/feb/09/us-military-marines-nazi-ss-flag-photo

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Can’t really understand wanting to see a guy nailed for killing a taliban bomb maker.

maffew buildings posted:

You don't loving execute suspects and if you hypothetically did you DO NOT SAY A THING EVER

Handsome Ralph posted:

He took the dude who was already captured off post, killed him and then buried him.

I mean if he killed him in the heat of combat, sure, but lol come the gently caress on. That's straight up murder.

He murdered a guy and talked about it shim. Thats about the most I'll care about when it comes to some mujaheddin/Taliban types. He shoulda took this one to the grave, not talked about it to the C I loving A.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Was killing Bin Laden a war crime? He was unarmed. He was a suspect in the largest ever terror attack. We took his compound by force and straight up killed his unarmed rear end. Then we quietly dropped his body in the ocean.

Why is a Taliban bomb maker more entitled to some kind of due process in an ugly insurgency but the guy at the top isn’t?

One was on the order of a president, the other was some SF Captain going OFP and forgetting to shut the gently caress up about it.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

But really this guys biggest crime is talking about it. I know for a fact we have fellow “war criminals” around here. Rule #1 is never talk about it.

Basically.

not caring here posted:

I'm gonna say don't kill captives because, a) that's bad, and b) they've probably got intel that you can extract from them.

Yeah, you might have a revenge boner, but you also might save a life (or many), or get information on a higher value target, so don't go committing war crimes.

I agree with this, yet I get why that Major did what he did. Mainly after reading this from the army times article.

quote:

Those documents were part of a 2011 report filed by an Army investigator, Special Agent Zachary Jackson, who reported that Golsteyn said after the Marines were killed in the February blast that his unit found bomb-making materials nearby, detained the suspected bomb-maker and brought him back to their base.

A local tribal leader identified the man as a known Taliban bomb-maker. The accused learned of the leader’s identification, which caused the tribal leader to fear he would kill him and his family if released.

Trusting the leader and having also seen other detainees released, Golsteyn allegedly told CIA interviewers that he and another soldier took the alleged bomb-maker off base, shot him and buried his remains.

Tribal Leader and his family or the motherfucker you found at the spot with the poo poo? Who lives or dies? Paint it that way and it makes sense to me. That said, I still think guys an idiot because there has to be options beyond "green beret affair 2010" to stay within the rules and be faithful to that dude whose giving you information. The way it reads sounds like dude didn't even bother with anything beyond murdering the guy. But who the gently caress knows. It sure the gently caress ain't me.

Cyks posted:

Him talking to the CIA and the investigation they did in 2010 didn't even get him in trouble. It was going on Fox News and bragging about it that reopened the case.

lmao, what a vain gently caress. I thought green berets were the quiet professionals.

I don’t know of any Gippers killing detainees.

I’m generally in favor of not killing detainees or prisoners without due process. But I’m also in favor of killing Taliban bomb makers with American blood on their hands too.

Inshallah. gently caress the muj.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Thalantos posted:

Wow yall, really?

DON'T KILL PRISONERS.

How loving hard is this?!

Apparently really hard when someone's telling you they gonna die if this dude gets to go home and snitch to his superiors.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

not caring here posted:

This I get, but if he's got enough free agency to kidnap a prisoner, take him off site and execute him and burn and bury the evidence, I'm sure he's got enough play to stake out his digs and get him there when he's released.

Yeah, I'm sure to some people its a petty distinction but one is a war crime and the other is not.

Its still murder, but yeah sure whatever helps people sleep at night. Dude definitely wasn't smart enough to think of something like that though, considering he's bragging on Fox News about his poo poo apparently.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Its easy for "Well, he was just some Mujahdeen fighter" to slip and become "Well, he was just a freedom fighter" or, like others who have face court martials "They were just some Iraqi/Afghanis, probably terrorists. Who cares"

We have rules about war for a reason: So we don't return to battlefield executions of POWs. We're better than this, no matter the enemy. gently caress anyone who can't follow those rules. Its bad enough we openly had black bag sites, where we often had innocent people we illegally extradited, held, and tortured. Often killed through torture, without trial or often with evidence.

Its good to be reminded of this. Which is why those army cats are after him in the first place. Yet you're gonna have a buncha folks like me going "he was the enemy, the gently caress we care for." And thats gonna muddle this up. We got a congressshitter already involved in this one, backing dude and playing that card. Which reminds me.

quote:

Unrelated to the Golsteyn case, Hunter was indicted earlier this year by federal prosecutors who are alleging conspiracy, wire fraud, falsification of records and prohibited use of campaign contributions.

heh, the guy trying to give you a pass for wasting a prisoner is also a dirtbag his damnself

Jokers Gamble posted:

So, maybe even if someone is a "bad guy" that doesn't justify you capping them and dropping the body in a ditch.

Having rules is what makes soldiers different than a marauding horde. You can't just say that some extrajudicial killing is good and then turn around and act aghast the next time these dudes murder some innocent teenager because you loving endorsed that behavior. Soldiers are not meant to be judges or executioners.

This is the way it should be.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Thalantos posted:

This poo poo right here yall.

Maybe the dude actually was a Taliban bomb maker who was gonna kill the tribal chief.

It's just as likely it was the tribal chief wantin that dude killed for some reason, why not get the Americans to do it?

Who knows what actually happened.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

"Legit" based on some local guy's identification? Afghan tribal chiefs have spent the last couple decades making up flimsy excuses to get their enemies droned.

Then I'm far less understanding of dumbass green beret major dude's decision to become Judge Dredd and poo poo and I withdraw anything I said that supports dude icing that bombmaker. Probably because he got it wrong like he's gotten everything else wrong up to this point.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

mods changed my name posted:

Is murder bad????!!?

yes

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Thalantos posted:

You forgot the best part, congress took and is currently on a six day weekend.

Yeet!

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

not even with your dick

wait ur name is ted?!?!?!?!

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

please don't kill yourselves

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

mods changed my name posted:

having a lol at the myriad of possibilities of which foreign owned entity is involved in our cool and totally innocent president

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Tryzzub posted:

seals killed the wrong green beret imo

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Proud Christian Mom posted:

honestly surprised McConnell didn't tell Schumer to let everyone go and they promise not to do anything again

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

So yup. Man is obvious.

would you say man's not hot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

I studied Schwann cell neurobiology and signal transduction for two years at the NIH after undergrad. Schwann cells are the cells that create the insulation lining around peripheral nerves in us and nearly all creatures on earth with fast conduction capability. They’re quite beautiful. They wrap around neurons almost like a tortilla, making a nice spiral pattern.

That arrow points at the junction between two Schwann cells, there’s one insulating cell to each side, wrapped in spirals around the nerve axon itself.

There’s one singular thing that separates lizards, geckos, salamanders, anything that can regenerate a limb, from us. That is the presence of neurogenic stem cells harbored and supported by Schwann cells along the entire length of the peripheral nerve. These stem cells dot the entire length of the nerve from spinal cord to toe, like beads on a rope. In a lizard that has lost a limb, the nerve is cut, the resulting Schwann cell injury causes a massive signaling cascade that wakes up the stem cells nearest the site of injury, and the stem cells have all the genetic information and developmental capability needed to recreate the limb. Animals unable regenerate limbs are just lacking in the presence of these stem cells along the length of their peripheral nerve.

Also incidentally for those with kids: when babies are born their peripheral nerves down to their arms and legs and sphincters are not yet insulated by the Schwann cells. It takes about 12-18 months for these cells to grow the length of the peripheral nerves and completely insulate them. Before this is done, nerve conduction is stupidly slow and the human is clumsy and incontinent. Once myelination has progressed enough, signal conduction jumps markedly and so does the human’s capabilities. A good rule of thumb in neurobiology is that once your baby is able to change directions quickly while running, they are also ready to be potty trained.

thats loving cool as poo poo