Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
LOL CenturyLink with a nationwide outage

Phoneposting because FML

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I'm getting the Forte back tonight.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I take it the front bumper issue has been resolved?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Hail satan

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

opengl128 posted:

Hail satan

WHITE BLACK WHALE

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Dagen H posted:

Apparently, will find out tonight.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Dagen H posted:

Turns out the answer is no. I got a call while I was driving down to pick it up, the front bumper only just came out of the booth and hasn't been installed or something. Trying again tomorrow.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Took my sweet B6T swapped 323 Wagon to the smog referee and passed all the emissions tests, except the ECU is from a 49 State/Federal spec car, so now I have to find a 1991-1994 California Spec ECU. Smog ref was cool guy and did everything he possibly could do to make it pass, but the state requires the correct ECU part number*

I also changed the oil to 10W-30 high mileage synthetic and smokes almost all the time now, rather than just at startup :( Great leakdown numbers, so maybe valve stem seals and something else?

*That is proving difficult to even find, mine is a B6V8 but it definitely is not a B6VE or B6VD

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 28, 2018

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

DJ Commie posted:

Took my sweet B6T swapped 323 Wagon to the smog referee and passed all the emissions tests, except the ECU is from a 49 State/Federal spec car, so now I have to find a 1991-1994 California Spec ECU. Smog ref was cool guy and did everything he possibly could do to make it pass, but the state requires the correct ECU part number*

I also changed the oil to 10W-30 high mileage synthetic and smokes almost all the time now, rather than just at startup :( Great leakdown numbers, so maybe valve stem seals and something else?

*That is proving difficult to even find, mine is a B6V8 but it definitely is not a B6VE or B6VD

Can you just swap your ECU into a case with the correct part number? There is no way California is going to go looking for outside ECU matching the board inside the ECU case in a 25 year old import. Or am I just a naive flyover-dweller?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

meatpimp posted:

Can you just swap your ECU into a case with the correct part number? There is no way California is going to go looking for outside ECU matching the board inside the ECU case in a 25 year old import. Or am I just a naive flyover-dweller?

I was just going to buy the cover, the California one has the same outer part number and PROM part number per this: https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/pcldtmdv/1991/ford_pc_a0100448_1d6_ta0.pdf but had a huge FEDERAL/CAN sticker on it.

Its my fault for mentioning it in the first place, but the ref was super cool and gave me his phone number to figure out what ECU numbers I can use, and that if I can find a 92 or 93 ECU, he can probably pass that.

edit: If anyone lives in Ontario, if they could check the PickYourPart for the 91 Capri there, its likely to be a California car and I'll pay for the ECU, driving 500 miles is a bit out of my New Year's plans.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 28, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ryobi ONE+ 1/2" ugga duggas. Cheap, works, robust.

Damnit. I blame everyone here for my wallet being about $140 lighter now. $107.17 w/tax for the ugga dugga kit, $32.45 for the sockets and wobble extensions at Horror Freight.

... it makes an ozone smell, but works fine, when I use it. Uh... that's concerning. I'll see if it keeps making smells like burning after I use it for actual stuff, I just ran it for a few seconds unloaded.

While I was blowing money, I also finally got around to buying a new bong, and a pretty sweet tie dye shirt. :350: So I guess I still wound up spending almost as much as I would have on a Kobalt or Horror Freight setup...

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Dec 28, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

e: nvm

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Today I saw an Alfa RZ driving along the freeway. It really bought a smile to my face. That is all.

Upon reflection, it was a boxy boring box. I'm not sure what would possess someone to buy an RZ over an SZ, which is glorious. Oh well, I passed that person today. Left hand drive and everything.

slothrop fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Dec 28, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

DJ Commie posted:

I love the fact that, in California, despite the car passing all actual emissions tests, it still fails, because gently caress you, that's a different part.
I know the RX-7 guys catch hell if the replace the three lovely '80s catalytic converters with one better, modern converter. Forest-for-the-trees, penny wise - pund foolish bureaucratic nonsense.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Regulate all the things!

But yeah, it's just more CA bullshit

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

slothrop posted:

Today I saw an Alfa RZ driving along the freeway. It really bought a smile to my face. That is all.

Upon reflection, it was a boxy boring box. I'm not sure what would possess someone to buy an RZ over an SZ, which is glorious. Oh well, I passed that person today. Left hand drive and everything.

Those are both mad as tits :aaa:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Darchangel posted:

I love the fact that, in California, despite the car passing all actual emissions tests, it still fails, because gently caress you, that's a different part.
I know the RX-7 guys catch hell if the replace the three lovely '80s catalytic converters with one better, modern converter. Forest-for-the-trees, penny wise - pund foolish bureaucratic nonsense.

The reason this happens is because SMOG emissions tests don't actually test your emissions.
They test your emissions at a few known points to ensure your equipment is working properly, but this only works if you are using the same equipment. If you change any equipment, especially an ECU, you can get a situation where you'll pass smog at the predetermined points but be belching out smog in other situations.

You can prove your setup is CARB compliant emissions the same way importers and manufacturers do, but it costs a lot because of dyno time. On the scale of a company making cats, it wouldn't cost that much for a company to certify a CARB legal cat for a cat, but they don't because people buy the illegal cat and hope the SMOG guy doesn't notice/care/pay for a $200 smog. They're really lazy.
The problem is you can say it is a better cat, but you actually need to prove it. If you could just buy any cat and replace it, people would buy the cheapest, shittiest cat they could when the OEM failed and that would increase emissions, even though it might pass a sniff tester.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

There's more registered cars in California than people in Canada, plus massive sections of population are grouped around geography prone to inversion layers, so being more proactive about pollution control doesn't bother me. I could register a 323 GT-R in California, I'd just have to prove what the above poster said, which is certify the car for a whole test cycle like a manufacturer would do.

Plus nothing is as fun as digging out 28 year old documents from crusty old databases to find the correct ECU part number I'd need.

Now, if I didn't have to drive to Rialto (275 eag way), that would be cool.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I did not get my car back tonight.

I did get to see my car tonight.

The rental car company rented out the Accord within minutes of my arrival.

There are runs in the Forte's new(er) paint, sanding marks where it was feathered, the rear bumper is not fully attached to the valence, and the right rear tail light has a defect (that admittedly, is not the shop's fault, but they should've sent it back for another one). And the paint on the front bumper matches under about half of all possible lighting conditions.

I am now driving a rental Buick Verano.

:suicide:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
California was a mistake, really.

Today sucked.

One of the ever growing list of things the Haynes book just portrays as "unbolt and remove, then bolt the new one in" when it really loving isn't, and involves parts that cannot physically be inserted into the place where they go.

The good part is that the ride in this van is roughly one billion times smoother now.

The bad part is the unrelated permanent CEL for a problem that literally, provably does not exist. God dammit, early 90s dodge.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Javid posted:

California was a mistake, really.

Can confirm. Recently, it’s becoming an increasingly larger mistake.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Upgraded from 8gb of 2400Mhz RAM to 16 gigs of 2666. The board is capable of 2666 but I bought prebuilt so they stuck 2400 in there because why not. I guess to hit a price point. I had to manually set the RAM speed though so I hope I didn't gently caress anything up. The RAM sticks have fuckin' RGB LEDs on them, it's ricey as gently caress and I love it. :pcgaming:

Also migrating over to 1tb SSD for my OS disk gently caress yeah.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Actually went out in public tonight and socialized.

I have a good friend who married a wonderful girl whom everybody adores. Her names is Megan.

He has a friend who is somewhat overbearing, shouts over everyone and generally wears out his welcome within 15 minutes. He recently became engaged to a girl with exceptionally low self esteem who is also named Megan. As original Megan has been a part of our circle of friends for almost 8 years we have given the new girl a few fun nicknames to more easily ID them in conversations. "Megs" "Megatron" "Megster" "Megan 2 the Sequel" etc. A few weeks back she got kind of pissy about this and she demanded to know why she had to be the one with the nicknames and raised a big stink about it. So we compromised. She became "Megan" and my friend's wife became "Hot Megan." New girl got up in arms about this and made some odd demands of us (a group of people she barely knows and that don't much care for her) about how she suddenly wanted to go back to the more appropriate nicknames.

And that's the story of how this dude's girlfriend got herself stuck with the nickname of "Fat Megan."

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Fermented Tinal posted:

I did not get my car back tonight.

I did get to see my car tonight.

The rental car company rented out the Accord within minutes of my arrival.

There are runs in the Forte's new(er) paint, sanding marks where it was feathered, the rear bumper is not fully attached to the valence, and the right rear tail light has a defect (that admittedly, is not the shop's fault, but they should've sent it back for another one). And the paint on the front bumper matches under about half of all possible lighting conditions.

I am now driving a rental Buick Verano.

:suicide:

That sucks, but is not entirely surprising. I've never had a body repair go well the first or second time. Every shop seems to half-rear end it until they realize you meant what you said on the front end -- "Return it to original condition." Good luck with the process.

Rhyno posted:

And that's the story of how this dude's girlfriend got herself stuck with the nickname of "Fat Megan."

drat. Fat Megan really overplayed her hand.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Rhyno posted:

You were fat once, don't forget that and don't be a dick. For this girl that nobody cares about, you all sure must talk about her a lot to have a billion nicknames for her. Calling the one "hot" insinuates the other one is not, so you're not doing low self esteem girl any favors.

Just be kind to people. (Do as I say, not as I do :v:)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nobody cares about her, this is true. But when she's around she makes this big deal about the same name thing which is why the nicknames come up. I have no problems with my friends who have the same name as me, I don't get why it's such a big deal for her. None of us understand it. I say she has low self esteem because the not having a unique name in the group (that doesn't even want her around) seems to be the end of the world for her. She truly does bring this on herself and like Meatpimp said, she overplayed her hand and seriously thought she could force us into what she wanted. She's not even really that fat but she has a really ugly personality.

And I was festively plump. Like Santa.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I have a friend who is dating a girl who uses his name in every sentence. It's almost comical. She also has an annoying voice like Janice from Friends which makes it even more comical.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Rhyno posted:

Nobody cares about her, this is true. But when she's around she makes this big deal about the same name thing which is why the nicknames come up. I have no problems with my friends who have the same name as me, I don't get why it's such a big deal for her. None of us understand it. I say she has low self esteem because the not having a unique name in the group (that doesn't even want her around) seems to be the end of the world for her. She truly does bring this on herself and like Meatpimp said, she overplayed her hand and seriously thought she could force us into what she wanted. She's not even really that fat but she has a really ugly personality.

You looked like you ate Santa.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Goober Peas posted:

I have a friend who is dating a girl who uses his name in every sentence. It's almost comical. She also has an annoying voice like Janice from Friends which makes it even more comical.

One of my coworkers read How To Win Friends And Influence People and tooled around the office for a month using everyone's first name in every sentence directed at them.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I'll admit, I chuckled at the fat Megan bit, but yeah that's pretty much grade school name calling. It doesn't matter if you understand why it bothers her or not, it does, at least enough for her to say something to ask for it to stop.

And yeah I have to agree, calling someone "fat" to their face, even jokingly, especially to someone who you suspect has esteem issues, isn't exactly showcasing maturity.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

slidebite posted:

And yeah I have to agree, calling someone "fat" to their face, even jokingly, especially to someone who you suspect has esteem issues, isn't exactly showcasing maturity.

When has "showcasing maturity" EVER been one of our goals?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

I have a good friend who married a wonderful girl whom everybody adores. Her names is Megan.

He has a friend who is somewhat overbearing, shouts over everyone and generally wears out his welcome within 15 minutes. He recently became engaged to a girl with exceptionally low self esteem who is also named Megan. As original Megan has been a part of our circle of friends for almost 8 years we have given the new girl a few fun nicknames to more easily ID them in conversations. "Megs" "Megatron" "Megster" "Megan 2 the Sequel" etc. A few weeks back she got kind of pissy about this and she demanded to know why she had to be the one with the nicknames and raised a big stink about it. So we compromised. She became "Megan" and my friend's wife became "Hot Megan." New girl got up in arms about this and made some odd demands of us (a group of people she barely knows and that don't much care for her) about how she suddenly wanted to go back to the more appropriate nicknames.

This is a gigantic dick move. Congratulations, you have become what you used to complain about for years here.

If you don't feel ashamed at what you've done, by both having that mindset last night and being proud of it today (so much so that you wanted to share it with your online buddies), I suggest taking a big step back and reevaluating.

Queen Combat fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 29, 2018

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Rhyno posted:

Hi I try not to post anymore unless its louver chat but you're a smug dick with low self esteem and its weird how you perceive marrying an attractive person as "winning" over the people that were mean to you in high school.

Don't want your hot sass anymore.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

meatpimp posted:

When has "showcasing maturity" EVER been one of our goals?
Well, I try not to come across as a gigantic man-child ALL the time, in person at least.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rhyno posted:

Im sorry but you are pretty much boasting about being an rear end in a top hat. I wouldnt even THINK about this kind of childish bullshit - I dont care what Megan is like, a rational adult will call her Megan and deal with any confusion like an adult.

She's also 100% justified about getting up in arms about it all. Grow up and apologise to her.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

God I had a social life, I'm going to take the neighbors up on their long-standing offer of a drink.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Brb, bout to join my friends for some rational adult conversation while out for drinks

Edit- no childish stuff ok

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Lol, I'm not apologizing to someone I dont even want to be around who makes unreasonable demands of a group of people who want nothing to do with her. She's terrible and deserves to be put in her place.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Welp, there goes another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Like the shifting sands of time, so flows the fickle judgement of AI.