Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Safe to say we’re all pitching tents over dat azztek. It’s a cool color too.
Normal weekend. Filled the M3 with ethanol free gas and gave it a wash. Just in time. Snow started flying last night and didn’t let up til late morning. We have probably 8 inches accumulation on our lawn. Feels good like Christmas, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

spog posted:

I don't know who did this but it is hilarious and I hope Fo3 takes it in good spirit.

It is nice to know that someones rage can be turned into a positive, such as providing bandwidth for our dead forums.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Beater Mazda6 is giving me heart palpitations. It was a cold morning (about 15 degrees) and this is a car that is parked outside. It started up fine, but the strange thing is by the time I got to the main road out of my neighborhood (~3/4 mile) the engine was up to temp. That is not common, the needle usually moves but not to middle of the gauge. I was watching it like a hawk to see if it was going to creep any higher and it didn't. Another half mile down the road every light but oil and battery came on (ABS/TCS/air bag/seat belt) and tach/speedometer when wonky for a second and it did not want to downshift. I had my OS moment and flipped a u-turn and drove directly back home. Turned off the lights and the window defroster. Lights went off except air bag :thunk: Fortunately the roads are dry and clean so I took the M3.

This has to be a borked alternator that I just swapped out, right? I am going to check my fluids when I get home, but the whole thing just trips me out. I don't care to swap out the alternator because that is an easy job. I just don't want this to be a rats nest of poo poo to untangle.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Suburban Dad posted:

Maybe? Check your battery voltage off and when running.

Yeah that is going to be the first thing I will check when I get home. I just needed to get to work today so I didn't have time (or interest) in futzing around with it in 15* temperature. The weirdest thing was that while every other light/gauge was tripping out the battery light didn't illuminate once.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Nothing matters other than the Avengers trailer was released and it took approximately one hour to reach 1M "likes" on YouTube.

It is going to rule and I don't care to listen to anyone else that says differently.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Suburban Dad posted:

I love spending time with the kid but I don't love not sleeping to do it. I don't feel like I'll look back at this point and think "wow I'm so glad I didn't miss out on those nights hanging out with her crying in the middle of the night, how fun." Sooooo I think we're talking about different things here. Just wish she'd get passed the teething and other "gently caress up your nightly sleep" sort of issues.

Both my wife and I are not worried about divorce since neither of us want to have to do this alone at this point. :v: Still, having a kid takes a toll and makes certain aspects of marriage tough.

It will come and go. Our youngest is 18 mos. and we went through the never sleeping newborn phase, then some semblance of a schedule, then it all went to hell, then it was good again. Now it is in flux, works sometimes and other times it doesn't. My wife gets to stay home with the kids so that helps out a TON because I don't think she could handle the broken up sleep and then having to show up to work somewhere. Overall I can operate on less sleep better than my wife so I take over often, but my wife does a lot as well. The work put in when they are young totally pays off though. Our two older kids sleep great and they stay in their beds/rooms. It gets better.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

I don't know where we are talking about car TV stuffs anymore but last night I finished the Gymkhana Files on Amazon and it ruled. I watched it with headphones on my iPad but I am going to watch the entirety of Gymkhana 10 again on the home theater with the volume up very loud. The noise that comes out of the Hoonicorn V2 is the neatest things to come out in the last decade.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Powershift posted:

Also, get you someone who looks at you like Scotto looks at Ken Block.

A love like that does not exist in this realm.

Fermented Tinal posted:

I'm supposed to get a call about a new jerb today so, finger's crossed.

Honestly I might be overreacting, it's more like gently caress-The-Last-Four-Weeks.

1. Lost the shop.
2. Lost the 2 post lift.
3. Got rear-ended 2 weeks after geting my first ever brand new car.
4. Was given an ultimatum by my boss to move closer or find another job.
5. Had to pay to replace the windshield on my rental.
6. Got called in to interview for a job only to find out at the start of the interview the position had been filled.
7. Was told the front bumper for the car is cracked and so far it's looking like I'll be paying for it.

That is a rough go. I am fortunate to not have had any accidents for a looong time, but I feel like there are some insurance companies where they say "Well we will give you X" and you can turn around and tell them instead of cutting a check just replace the car with a similar car. I ended up getting ~30% more for my old Accord when it got totaled 10+ years ago when the insurance company gave me the initial offer and I said no, you couldn't replace the car for that much. They did a market analysis and came back to basically say they couldn't find another car like mine within a few states (mileage/year/options) so they gave me more money.

Car accidents are literally the worst. Whether at-fault or not they always cost money out of pocket.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Fermented Tinal posted:

:owned:

In other news I got the job. Min wage but 8 minute commute.

short commutes are more bitchener for sure.

I have three bands because they are cheap. First "real" once is tungsten/white gold. Others are cheap titanium and one ceramic. The ceramic one is nice and lightweight. I kind of want silicone ones though because having my finger de-gloved or unsheathed or whatever the term is sounds :stonk:

The ring comes off whenever I am doing something laborious.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

My real tungsten band was more than I want to remember (not too much but over $100). My other bands were less than $8/each shipped.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Hey guys happy Friday what is going on in :ohno:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I.... cant honestly say 2018 has been in any shape a bad year. Tiring but not bad. Certainly been very different in parts.

:same: but expensive. this year has been expensive.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

spog posted:

Did you spend it on anything nice?

Not really. Our grocery budget was insanity this year. What amounted to a terrible bit of food poisoning while out of town on work resulted in an ambulance ride and stay in the hospital and was four grand which covered my insurance premiums for the year. We fenced our yard with vinyl to the tune of~$7500(but nice to have). My wife was diagnosed celiac last year after the birth of our third so she has been working with a functional :airquote:doctor:airquote: expensive nutritionist which involves a lot of lab testing to find out what certain levels are for different things and then supplements and diet associated with the results to get her levels back in line, which leads back to the first thing mentioned. I don't want to talk about our grocery budget which has rivaled (and probably surpassed) my mortgage payments this year. None of the tests are covered by insurance.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

spog posted:

Jeez. Is Mrs Heroic okay now?

Yeah she is feeling better than she has since the diagnosis but still has some ways to go. It is equally challenging from an emotional perspective as it is a drastic lifestyle/social change. She has not eaten from a restaurant in over 15 months. Not once. She(we) has had to make every single meal.

everdave posted:

Same. I have spent more than I even thought possible in 2018.

But you have cool imported cars to show for it!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

angryrobots posted:

Since you mention it twice... You are using a credit card with rewards to take advantage of all that grocery spend yeah?

Oh yeah. We have one account that we funnel everything through. No using debit cards when people steal info. I’ve had it happen once. Best is double dipping with Costco since we have an executive membership and get back our membership fees + more every year.

And yes not being sick is worth whatever it costs.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Gingerbread House Music posted:

Well, that was the most anticlimactic breakup, lol.

Does this mean you’re banging your coworker now?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Solus posted:

Every week I'm tempted to trade in my 2018 Civic for a 2018 Toyotoa GT86 and I definitely love wasting money

This my son is called repentance. Righting your wrongs of automotive sins gone by. Go forth and drift in RWD supremacy.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Oooof.

How was everyone's weekend? On Friday Mrs. Heroic and I went on a date with ~21000 of our closest friends and family to a Christmas Concert with Kristin Chenoweth. She is a treasure and holy crap the woman has some pipes.

I have been to a few meetings (and one other Christmas concert) at the Conference Center and the place is just immense. Seating 21K people and not a single pillar to obstruct ones view and very nice acoustics. Really great music and messages to get in the mood for Christmas.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

nm posted:

I would not want to be that department's attorney today.

They get paid either way.

They are gonna lose, but they still get paid.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

ilkhan posted:

So. Adult Legos. Discuss.

Pros: You are a grown-rear end person with your own money and nobody to say "No", and "It's too expensive".

Cons: All the sets you wanted as a kid are even more :10bux: and harder to find. You still buy them anyways.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Guns can be fun for plinking. I know not everyone is super hip on guns here but plinking is primally a fun thing. Wildest thing I’ve shot was a friends full auto/suppressed. I think a Mac 12? Dudes if you have a chance to shoot something full auto do it.

$10 worth of 9mm gone in about three seconds :iia:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

slidebite posted:

Is this from a Japanese game show or something? :stare:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1077159034258636800

That was jack rear end or wild boys, one of the two. Those shows were insane.

Spyder - Traegers are dope. Mine is 2 1/2 years old and I have cooked many pounds of beast flesh. I used to keep track of how many pounds of pellets I have burned through. It is somewhere between 300 and 400 pounds at this point.

Smoke a pork shoulder. Get a good external thermometer. Watch your waistline increase.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Dudes I am ready for Christmas. Last night we had a family party for my wife’s side of the family which we hosted. Lots of work but a very good time. There was 34 of us in all.
Grandma and grandpa got middle Heroic boy the LEGO Speed Champions Porsche car set that comes with the GT3 and RSR cars. We put it together and these are legitimate cool and for the price (~$25) I don’t think it can be beat! The cars turn out looking great and really solid when together. Definitely meant to play with and not just to look at.

We got the kids a ton of Playmobil stuff for Christmas. Oldest got a mat for gymnastics; middle got some LEGO sets and Disney Cars stuff, and baby got a little tikes truck to scoot around.

I’m just ready for them to experience the magic.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

The flies in Australia are ridiculous.

Merry Christmas y’all. It’s been a good one of eating tons and building LEGO and Playmobil sets with the kids. The Playmobil stuff is so perfectly German I appreciate all of it. The finish and fit is superb. The kids are seeming pretty excited about it too.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

First day of two days at work for the week after five off. I will be planted in front of my screen for a while and probably dealing with whining adults. I am not sure I am ready for this.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Wow. What a thread for a Saturday night.

Even though it was 30 degrees out the roads were clear and I went to cars and coffee and took my kids. After a month of being parked and putting up with the beater Mazda’s petty bull crap it was real nice to let the taps open up on the M3. I needed to run the car by Costco to get the tires inflated up higher with nitrogen for the winter slumber.

Fast cars are fun. Thanks for reading my story.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

meltie posted:

Posting in the chat thread from a van on the Autobahn at 160kph :coolfish:

The autobahn is something everyone must experience. It is as magical as one would imagine. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Y’all are posting in the last year thread. Get in on that sweet 2019 chatski.