Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Rhyno posted:

I was looking at my records and my new employer-supplied coverage is roughly the same cost as what I was paying for Marketplace coverage. But the major difference is I'm now in an actual network and don't have to drive 2.5 hours to find a doctor that would take the Ambetter bullshit I was forced into.
One of the best things about working for the government is health insurance that doesn't suck, at any cost. So many employers seem to be loving terrible about what they offer. My monthly isn't that cheap, but it covers goddamn everything, though it is through Kaiser, so basically Kaiser only. I could pay $lol and get a platinum gilded blue shield plan, which I may switch to when I get older. Most employers don't even seem to offer that plan, even at $lol. My dad had a fancy job and always stuck on my mom's university insurance because it was so much better at actually covering things.
My theory is that the government is on of the few entities sophisticated and large enough to get the plans they want while actually not actively trying to gently caress the employees. I'm sure Google has great insurance if you can get hired by them, but most employers just don't know what they are doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

everdave posted:

EDIT: why the F is the picture upside down

Did you import via Australia? That's a known problem.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

MomJeans420 posted:

I've never driven in the snow, but I'm flying to a bachelor party in an area that will have snow in January (Truckee, NV) , and need to rent a car. From what I hear from my friend who lives there, as long as it's not actively snowing they're good at keeping the roads clear. I'm debating renting a minivan or a Ford Transit, just because we have so many people, however I could pay double the price for a car with AWD (that only seats 5). I guess I just have to put on chains if I end up driving in as it's snowing, I'm assuming the rental car in a snowy area comes with them in the trunk? I guess my question is am I crazy for renting a minivan in a place that may be snowing? I could just uber everywhere and then not have to worry about it, which also sounds nice.

Are you renting from SMF or RNO? I wouldn't assume they do.
That said, you only need chains basically for going up and down the hill. Unless there is a storm, you won't need them for getting around Truckee local.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Are cheap print servers not a thing anymore? I have my old HP laserjet hooked up (with a parallel port!) to an old jetdirect printer server (that I can't even admin anymore because it requires some ancient version of java I'm not installing) that's been going strong forever. HP's win10 driver still support the loving thing, which amazes me.

nm fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 5, 2018

nm
Jan 28, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Cheap print servers are still very much a thing

Then I'd just buy the best printer for the money and add a cheap print server if it works out cheaper, which I bet it almost always does.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Last I saw any numbers on it here, cyclists were the number one reason for pedestrians needing medical attention.

Quick googling shows 301 injuries between cyclists and peds in stockholm (or maybe Sweden) in 2016. (https://www.thelocal.se/20170424/injuries-on-the-rise-as-cyclists-and-pedestrians-clash-stockholm-sweden) Somehow, I bet cars injure a few more than that unless you have magical drivers even with high cycling numbers. Every time a cyclist hits a ped who dies, it become big news because it happens 1-2 times per year. Cars killing peds happens at least weekly in most major cities. Cars hitting peds happens so often as to just never be reported.

nm fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 9, 2018

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Rhyno, you sure he didn't just feel bad for your wife?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

slidebite posted:

I like watching the Leno videos when he is talking to someone about their car, and he's just dragging his hands all over on it and the owners are standing right there, probably screaming inside.

FWIW, Leno actively encourages people to do Iit with his cars, so I think it is more his attitude.
He showed up to the snake in a p1 soon after it came out and everyone got to sit in the front seat and poke around everything.

ilkhan posted:

Just turned on Monday night football. Seattle is dominating this game and Minnesota isn't helping their case that its undeserved. drat
The entire point of the vikings is to torture thier fans by giving them hope and then ripping thier balls off and stomping on them.
Fml.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

The best beer I've ever had is a Rhubarb Gose from freigeist, which is from berlin. There's also a ton of solid sours and goses from the US.
Fermented Tinal should listen to his own avatar text as, yeah, personal preferences are a thing.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I think I saw the closest thing to a perfect fc rx7 on the road today in socal and I couldn't even get a picture. Driven by what looked like a 50 year old woman. Awesome.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I have left many notes about cash offers under windshield wipers on pristine cars in socal. Last one was a mint 1998/1999 4WD XJ in stunning shape.

No one has ever called me back :smith:

This one was like fresh out of the box new. No door dings, no paint oxidation, goddamn.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Grakkus posted:

This is my first year living and renting in Copenhagen, so this is true for me as well :suicide:

Speaking of blowing big sums of money, can someone recommend me a mid-high end phone? Until now I've been buying whatever Samsung Galaxy S model is a couple of years old and they have served me well up until my current S6, which I'm only about 15 months into the ownership of and is already beginning to feel worse than the previous phone did 3 years in, things are bugging out weirdly, the samsung firmware is shitawful (no, I don't need to see an ad for spotify every time I turn on the music player) and most recently the GPS is doing weird stuff. Basically, I'm looking for something that is similar in terms of build quality/screen/camera but not made by Samsung. Are Huaweis good? I don't really know that much about phones.

I get what you're saying, but my s9 is so much better than previous version imho. The software is barely annoying.
If you don't want a headphone jack, the new pixel isn't truly mindblowing, but the software is great.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Queen Combat posted:

Also what kind of quest requires a Daft Punk vinyl, two extension cable adapters, a hairbrush, a fountain pen, and various colors of metallic lipsticks?

An awesome night in vegas?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

slidebite posted:

Saw Solo.

Didn't expect much, wasn't disappointed. Didn't hate it as much as some of the nerd rage I've heard, but I certainly didn't like it.

It wasn't until I saw Clint Howard that I realized Ron Howard directed it.

I rewatched big lebowski for the millionth time because it was on Netflix. Feel like I made the better choice.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I would not want to be that department's attorney today.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Somewhat Heroic posted:

They get paid either way.

They are gonna lose, but they still get paid.

As a government attorney, no one like to do annoying work where you know you're gonna get your rear end handed to you.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

slidebite posted:

As a non bike guy, is it reasonable possible to build a bike from scratch just picking components? Or do you have to buy a quality bike in the first place and upgrade everything?

It costs quite a bit more than just buying a bike with the parts you want.
Unless you need/want something really weird and custom, it isn't really worth it.
Bike OEMs get parts way cheaper than you can buy them, even from the european online stores (the european stores are the cheapest because due to EU laws, shimano can exercise way less control).

Disc brakes in like 2001 were loving rear end, but they're way better now. Other than for a flat lander, fair weather skinny tire road bike, they are buy far the best choice. Rim brakes look better on a classic looking road bike though.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The UK Company Hope would like a word with you sir, I was running Hope M4 4 pot calipers back then and they were incredibly good in terms of raw power, modulation and maintenance-free running. Hope were ahead of the game though definitely.

And they weighed 25 lbs. (Ok 1 kg per bike and I'm not sure that included the rotor)
The difference between some cheap rear end avid cable discs and high end discs in 2001 is so amazing to me. The kids don't even know.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I can't judge people for keeping stuff as I can't throw out computer, car, or bike stuff.
Also, my dining room is basically full of bikes. Can you tell I'm single?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

MrChips posted:

When you live in a glass house...

Brexit hasn't happened yet.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Javid posted:

This is where I'm at. I realized this year that my year really peaks at Thanksgiving. T-day is about gorging yourself on turkey with your favorite people, Christmas is now about being pressured to buy poo poo.

I prefer Christmas because in my family thanksgiving is about stuffing yourself with turkey and Christmas is stuffing yourself with prime rib and prime rib is way better than turkey.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Do lemon lawed cars have the factory warranty and/or a branded title?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Darchangel posted:

I love the fact that, in California, despite the car passing all actual emissions tests, it still fails, because gently caress you, that's a different part.
I know the RX-7 guys catch hell if the replace the three lovely '80s catalytic converters with one better, modern converter. Forest-for-the-trees, penny wise - pund foolish bureaucratic nonsense.

The reason this happens is because SMOG emissions tests don't actually test your emissions.
They test your emissions at a few known points to ensure your equipment is working properly, but this only works if you are using the same equipment. If you change any equipment, especially an ECU, you can get a situation where you'll pass smog at the predetermined points but be belching out smog in other situations.

You can prove your setup is CARB compliant emissions the same way importers and manufacturers do, but it costs a lot because of dyno time. On the scale of a company making cats, it wouldn't cost that much for a company to certify a CARB legal cat for a cat, but they don't because people buy the illegal cat and hope the SMOG guy doesn't notice/care/pay for a $200 smog. They're really lazy.
The problem is you can say it is a better cat, but you actually need to prove it. If you could just buy any cat and replace it, people would buy the cheapest, shittiest cat they could when the OEM failed and that would increase emissions, even though it might pass a sniff tester.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Queen Combat posted:

This is a gigantic dick move. Congratulations, you have become what you used to complain about for years here.

If you don't feel ashamed at what you've done, by both having that mindset last night and being proud of it today (so much so that you wanted to share it with your online buddies), I suggest taking a big step back and reevaluating.
This.
The solution was to call everyone with the same name by their last name. Some people don't want your lovely made up nicknames.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

meatpimp posted:

gently caress Fat Megan, she keeps wanting all the attention. Even in AI.

Of all the things to poke at Rhyno about, this is one of the more silly. We were not there, I'm sure there was more nuance than Rhyno implied, chillax.
I don't think there is.
They probably gave her a bunch of lovely nicknames she didn't like, then called the other woman hot megan (imply she was ugly), and then settled on fat megan. They're just being dicks.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Elmnt80 posted:

I'd start calling the megan you like megatron. Thats a p. Dope nickname. Use awesome nicknames for people you like, names for people you don't.

True, but if she is actually a fat megan, I bet some uncreative middle schoolers called her that. So yeah, give it to old megan.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

How the gently caress are you not just calling them "last name."
I've had a number of friends with the same name as me and within the same social circle, we always go by "last name.". loving done and nk one cares, though if they have the same personality as me we launch a mock war about who gets "first name."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Newegg has an 8GB SODIMM of DDR for $28.

edit: Never mind it is 4x2GB, but was labeled weird.