Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

STR posted:

Why the gently caress am I having to run the AC in December?

Because Texas.
Don't worry, it'll drop back into the thirties without warning.

Previa_fun posted:

Acquaintance of mine is posting on Facebook about the local university trying to fill a position. They require a degree and two years of administrative experience for a salary of....

30K. College is a complete loving racket.

It's amazing when a loving *college* acknowledges how worthless a degree actually is.

Suburban Dad posted:

I haven't really done any Christmas shopping. And I don't really want to, either. I don't want anything and don't want people to waste money on useless crap for me but I'm sure it'll happen anyway. Why can't you just tell your family "Let's just not this year?" and it actually happen? Seems everyone has guilt in not buying garbage for people.

I'm all for this. I just like spending a day with family.
That said, my parents decided to get me LASIK for Birthday/Christmas/etc., and I am so very stoked, and very grateful. I've worn glasses since third grade, which was 40 years ago. I've wanted this pretty much since I knew it existed. The left eye was done several weeks ago - implant, rather than LASIK because they found the start of a cataract. Now that's healed enough, I've got the LASIK scheduled on the right eye this week (which already has an cataract implant from 4 years ago.) The only part that sucks is that I can't wear the contact for the right eye this week, so I either have to wear my regular glasses and not be able to see out of the left, or wear reading glasses and still not be able to see out of the right. Either option is giving me a headache.
Thursday cannot come fast enough. Lasers!

nm posted:

Did you import via Australia? That's a known problem.

Dammit, beat me to it.

slidebite posted:

LOL

I used to actually be anti giftcard (although maybe not quite as rabid) as I thought they reeked of pure laziness, but I've mellowed a lot. As I've become older I know that I've become impossible to buy for so I typically get gift cards and I'm appreciative of it for many of the reasons stated earlier. I far, far prefer that over some tacky poo poo I'll end up throwing away, donating or just re-gifting to someone and cash would just go straight into my wallet into general cash.

Also, they are a godsend for people with addiction issues that can't be trusted with straight cash.

I'm impossible to buy for, so I welcome gift cards. I have most everything I actually need, and my wants either change daily, or are too expensive to ask someone else to buy.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I would honestly rather receive a gift card then get something I didn't need/want and will never use.

Yeah, that, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Drywall work is complete! We're ready to sand the rough spots and start cleaning so we can prime.

I mentioned before that we're going to be transitioning the trim to all white but I have zero experience properly prepping the wood for this, anyone have suggestions or not terrible tutorials? The paint claims that no prep is needed other than cleaning but I'd rather this not look like poo poo when we're finished.

Basics are to knock the gloss off, if glossy. You can sand, or there are liquid products that will do it. Gotta give the paint something to bite into. If it's just unpainted wood (sorry, haven't watched the whole video tour), you're probably ready to go as is.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Nice Volkswagen.

meltie posted:

Serious talk: this is a good opportunity to use an eyepatch for a few days!

Seriously considering it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

MomJeans420 posted:

I hate the American work culture of showing up to work even if you're super sick, to show you're such a dedicated and tough worker. We need to shun and mock those who show up and become the office typhoid mary. There's no way it helps productivity / profitability to get everyone else sick.

Of course I work with people who brag about flying across the country to take a deposition a week after giving birth, so you see what I'm dealing with here.

I get paid hourly with no PTO.
I can't afford to miss work, so fukc 'em - I'm going to get everyone *else* sick.

slidebite posted:

The only thing I hate even more are policies where employers demand doctors notes and have minimal paid sick days which force people to come to work sick.

Hi there! Only replace "minimal" with "no".

Gingerbread House Music posted:

You literally only have to deal with the clunky interface once...

I don't deal with it at all. Literally every network-capable printer I've worked with since 2000 (admittedly, this would be mostly HP printers) have a built in webserver. They're set to DHCP out of the box. Let it acquire an IP, then print out the configuration page to get that IP. Go to that IP from a browser on a PC on the same network and set up everything else there, including a static IP.
Printers still suck, which is amazing in TYOOL 2018.

edit: goddammit. I forgot to get my leftovers from our team lunch today before they cleaned out the fridge. This included a full piece of eggnog cheesecake, as well as the remainder of the salmon and rice I had. Nuts. I mean, I didn't pay for it, but I hate wasting good food, and it was good.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 7, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

In early 1996, I was a very small guy. 5'1" and maybe 125lbs. I'd also recently changed schools and didn't have many friends. So I was a target and dude nearly twice my size beat the unholy gently caress out of me. Like, beat me so bad I got knocked out. And after all the hoopla he got a single day of suspension because basketball is more important than an child's safety.

So it was incredibly satisfying to run into him today. Bald, horrifically out of shape and married to a beast of a woman who if I had to guess was 300lbs minimum. When I said "oh this is my wife" you could see the sadness gather in his eyes. It was wonderful. I'm a bum but I won in that contest of life.

Living well is the best revenge.
Illigetimi non carborundum - "Don't let the bastards grind you down."

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Tbh dude, everyone is different when it comes to that, I like a heavy cover but my wife hates it because she runs hotter than i do. One time she brought home a paper thin quilt and I was like no way that's gonna work for me, and of course she got mad for a minute but whatever, I like to be warm when I sleep. So I use my nice heavy quilt and she uses the loving sheet :v:

But I think spog is right, it's not just about that you two have issues.

Yeah, I just use my own additional blanket as needed, and my wife will kick off the comforter as needed. It shouldn't be complicated.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

*edit: related, I finally got around to readjusting the speaker setup in the workshop. :black101: :black101: :black101:

Oh, my.
Currently, I've got a PC power supply powering an old Pioneer CD car deck (with bad CD, but has AUX in) pushing two 10" no-name home stereo speakers up on the walls, and a pair of Boss 6x9s mounted in the eaves outside the garage door. I should at least get a wall plate for the leads to the 6x9s. Currently the wires just go through a hole in the drywall.
When I rebuild my workbenches and shelving, I'm going to pop one of my old audio-only home receivers out there. I have several that are perfectly good, but no longer up to home theater duty due to lack of video switching or inputs. Wish I'd kept the 8" home towers I used to have. They were better than these cheap-os, though realistically, what I have now is fine for the garage.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The rack that powers the setup is only 1000w total, it's just that the speaker designs are super efficient so don't need much pushing. The db meter on the kit only goes to 120db and it pegs that with relative ease, it's rarely above 100db though generally.

I should add that this wasn't built for the workshop, I used to host DJ gigs with a few friends in town. I used to go to clubs a lot but was never really impressed with the sound so wondered if I could make a system that sounded better, I eventually found out about Bill Fitzmaurice's design and decided to put together a setup. Once tweaked it basically sounds like a super loud hi-fi setup, really clear from top to bottom so the experiment was a success. So much so that I often find myself in there to work on the cars but end up distracted just listening to music.

I think I've just decide to use Fitzmaurice's "Auto Tuba" horn-loaded design in my Crown Vic rather than adding another sealed-box 10" to the current one I have. And maybe a pair of "Davids" for the house.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fuckin hell that's a lot of bikes.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Gonna. Assuming his graph of the Tuba's output with an 8" vs a sealed 12" is accurate, that's what I'm looking for. More oomph, without filling up the trunk. I've got that area over the axle to play with, if you're familiar with late Panther chassis cars, which should be big enough for the design. I need to measure to be sure, though. I knew folded horns were more efficient, but I've never really seen a design for cars.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Powershift posted:

They added stubby bob to GTA online, so i made a john player special liveried stubby bob because i am a baaaaaaaad maaaaaaaan

Does it do wheelies?

Olympic Mathlete posted:

In my old house I had a Table Tuba laying behind the sofa running an 8" JBL GTO804 driver, the amp was a cheap 100w plate amp turned up to about 3 and the thing slammed. It was awesome, the full cinema experience for about £120 in bits and wood. You should be pretty happy with an autotuba if like you say you have the space for it.

I'd consider a Tuba for the house as well, but honestly, the single 12" ported sub we have on the home theater doesn't even get a workout. If I had a soundproofed theater room or something, maybe. My wife and I sleep at different times, and pretty much don't watch the same movies, so, meh. I put a big-rear end TV in the bedroom for her to use, but she still just takes over the living room, since she gets home from work before I do.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Powershift posted:

yyyyyyyyyup

Welp, time to fire GTA up again. They even got the hitch receiver in there.

Gingerbread House Music posted:

I just painted our living and dining areas. gently caress. PAINTING.

At least I won't have to gently caress with that when we do ours. My wife works at a paint and drywall company. The guys do side jobs - but only painting. I still have to do the drywall myself. And with how many cracks mine has, it may just be easier to pull it all down and start over.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fermented Tinal posted:

Finally got the estimate for the damage to the Forte yesterday, almost a month after the accident. I bitched about it in Slack, but for the rest of you here's what's up.

$11k in damage, $13k after taxes, appraiser valued it at $6k over sticker price or $3k more than the grand total on my bill-of-sale. While I did get a little bit of a discount because my brother sold it to me, it's a base model compact, my screaming good deal was a savings of a couple hundred bucks. I can't find a base model manual Forte being sold for even remotely close to that valuation anywhere, let alone with 3,300km on the clock.

Also the front bumper is now cracked on the right side. The shop won't take responsibility for it and from the pictures in the estimate there is no indication of front-end damage when the appraiser looked at it. I sure as poo poo hadn't had a chance to mount a curb or bump a snowbank with my two-week-old car before I got rear-ended.

I'm saying it.

gently caress 2018.

So, OK, I'm having trouble parsing this. Are you saying that the appraiser inflated the value of the car, presumably to make it more difficult to total, despite the high cost of repairing it?
That's hosed, and you can fight back on that, basically like property tax valuations. Ask them to show you where the numbers came from. Also, claim the front bumper on the insurance and make *them* argue with the body shop. Not your job.

Oh, and gently caress your boss for that ultimatum. He can't demand that. My answer will always be "I'll find a new job, dickbag". Or better still, demand that he either pay you more to compensate for the commute, or move the company, or you'll make him find a new employee.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I forgot to note that I had a '79 or '80 RX-7 pull up to me at a stop sign in my neighborhood this morning. Now I need to walk or bike around to figure out where my rotary buddy lives and introduce myself. It appeared to be stock, aside from the cheap muffler-shop muffler (that was probably strangling the poor thing.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Suburban Dad posted:

That sucks. :( Good opportunity to get a silicone one now. I kind of wish I had done that in the first place after seeing so many mechanics at work with them. Pretty smart and easily replaced if it gets cut or whatever.

But, no, I went with titanium, so I don't think it'll ever get FUBAR'd to need replacement.

Titanium, at least the one I have, scratches easily, which surprised the heck out of me. I’m wearing tungsten carbide now, but thinking about a silicone one. Normally, I just take the ring off when working in the garage or whatever.
My dad has kept his gold ring on his keychain for as long as I can remember.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

LloydDobler posted:

Nah, you have to nip that poo poo in the bud while they're still young enough to care what you think.

If that’s the case, I think I lost that battle at about age 8 or so.

Edit: work chat: got a $3/hr raise! Though I’m still a contractor. This takes a little of the sting out.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 13, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Queen Combat posted:

Almost as good as Stormageddon.

Wasn't that the baby in Doctor Who season... 7 or 8?

edit: season 6. "Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All. That's what he calls himself."

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 14, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

ilkhan posted:

My ring is simple steel. WTF are you guys doing with expensive wedding rings?

Tungsten Carbide rings are cheap.

edit: titanium, too.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Queen Combat posted:

TEACH ME YOUR WAYS

I have to admit that made me laugh.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Hey guys happy Friday what is going on in :ohno:

Yeah, that went off the rails quick. Not as bad as some, but definitely uncomfortable.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Because of course they're not. Why would health issues be covered by health insurance.
Ask me about the insurance industry's recognition of the psoriatic arthritis that my wife has versus osteoarthritis none.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Geoj posted:

Genius move on the cops' part - lets set up a spike strip in the middle of a bunch of parked cars in a residential area. What's the worst that could happen?

Hope everyone that got hit has un/underinsured coverage because I seriously doubt the Cobalt's policy is going to pay on that (assuming it was insured at all/not stolen) and the cops' qualified immunity will indemnify them and their department from liability.

Pretty sure all those folks were stopped there because the cops made them due to a lunatic approaching. Not sure who thought that was the best option.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Mr-Spain posted:

So I don't think I need an excuse to go to a car show, but I'm trying to get some buds to go to Radwood in Austin next February the 23rd. As far as I know it's at Driveway Austin Motorsports as far as I can tell right now. So anyone in Austin or around there (I'm going from Houston) we can meet up for 80's-90's car whatnot. Entrance is ten bucks, to show a car (1980-1999) is $30. Kids 12 and under free.

I may need to plan a trip to Austin (from Dallas) just for the hell of it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I have a 2000s K-Mart MTB. It makes me stronk, because it weighs 500 pounds. Or it would if I rode it.

edit: or tried to move it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Wrench is on Steam Early Access, if you want to work on a race car virtually.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/936720/Wrench/

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Is losing the 10mm socket an achievement

I don't know, but it should be.

ExplodingSims posted:

Holy gently caress why does everything HVAC related on cars have to be so impossibly difficult?

It look like 3 hours just to slip some zip ties on, but I have defrost now at least.

Because, cars. At least you don't have to climb on the roof, or go in the basement.

Javid posted:

loving RockAuto.

Three parts I need and there is absolutely no combination of them that comes from one goddamned warehouse. With all that shipping factored in, O'Reilly's is cheaper, so gently caress it I'm not even gonna wait for shipping.

I've done this a number of times. Due to their shipping fuckery, Rock Auto is becoming less of a deal, especially up against Amazon. As STR has noted before, I use RA to look up the part numbers, then use those on Amazon, since Amazon's "what fits" database is suspect.

cakesmith handyman posted:

The way Amazon is going I feel you're more likely to get counterfeit parts from Amazon these days.

This is real problem, particularly with electronic, and Amazon needs to tackle it before it's big enough that people stop using them. Someone posted a podcast a while back that talked about it, and why it started happening. Basic reason is: third party stores.

Phone posted:

asmasm's game is out in early access! Please do the needful and check it out: https://store.steampowered.com/app/936720/Wrench/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8uZMoTHZyc

I'm sad and disappointed that you don't read my posts:

Darchangel posted:

Wrench is on Steam Early Access, if you want to work on a race car virtually.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/936720/Wrench/

(I'm kidding. I get that people sometimes skim.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Same here. Gotta look at those listings carefully, especially the “sold by” or “fulfilled by” part of the listing.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I think that was mentioned as an issue in the podcast, too. At least insofar as identical part numbers and such.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Suburban Dad posted:

They need their own drones to fight them battlebots style.

:effort:

I want that to happen.
Or maybe focused EMP projectors or something.

InitialDave posted:

We make them watch Hot Fuzz and Dredd at the start of every shift to get them in the right frame of mind.

Sounds good to me.
Just don't mess up and use the Stallone Judge Dredd.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The Phalanx is nice, but I think twin 50mm anti-aircraft cannons would be the way to go.
Wait - is it possible to turret mount a GAU-8 Avenger?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

gently caress that guy and gently caress his stupid-rear end wall. It’s literally cheaper to let the illegals come in. We can’t afford an actually effective wall. Never mind that most illegals are overstayed visas.

I hope this poo poo get cleared up before it fucks up QC’s schooling. Nice work on the class notes - for something that costs as much as it does, it’s remarkably lovely how the school is cheating out on that. At the very least, when I was in college (in ancient times) if a professor had notes like that, they made them available at the campus copy center for the cost of printing and binding like you did. Usually pretty cheap.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

STR posted:

That's nearly $200 more than the one I'm looking at once you get a battery and charger. :stare: (and has similar specs) (undoubtedly better quality tho)

I don't think that's gonna cut it for suspension work, which is what I need it for.

The price is drat attractive ($130 for just the bare tool, or.. $130 with a battery, charger, and case), but I'm worried 300 ft/lbs may not be enough for some rusty bits. I may jump on that anyway though - I can always return it if it's not enough.

Want to guess who owns Milwaukee Tools?
Want to guess who owns Ryobi?
Same company: Techtronic Industries. They also own Homelite, Hoover, OReck, and Dirt Devil, among others. And yes, they are a Chinese company.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yeah, that’s pretty much how I knew that.
In other news, it’s currently raining buckets here in Dallas. Pretty impressive from the 15th floor of a building.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

DJ Commie posted:

Took my sweet B6T swapped 323 Wagon to the smog referee and passed all the emissions tests, except the ECU is from a 49 State/Federal spec car, so now I have to find a 1991-1994 California Spec ECU. Smog ref was cool guy and did everything he possibly could do to make it pass, but the state requires the correct ECU part number*

I also changed the oil to 10W-30 high mileage synthetic and smokes almost all the time now, rather than just at startup :( Great leakdown numbers, so maybe valve stem seals and something else?

*That is proving difficult to even find, mine is a B6V8 but it definitely is not a B6VE or B6VD

I love the fact that, in California, despite the car passing all actual emissions tests, it still fails, because gently caress you, that's a different part.
I know the RX-7 guys catch hell if the replace the three lovely '80s catalytic converters with one better, modern converter. Forest-for-the-trees, penny wise - pund foolish bureaucratic nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

:stare: :stonk:

quote:

Before long, I should probably get one of those mold-your-own kits. Don't want to miss the opportunity for a deeply ironic strap-on

OMG, I had to laugh. I have a friend in transition that I am absolutely, totally, suggest this, just to watch her face.

Humphreys posted:

I like Dicken's Cider.

Have you tried it warmed up? My wife loves a hot Dicken's Cider.

STR posted:

Yeah it's DDR2. It was a low end laptop for its day. I'm annoyed as hell that it only has 1 RAM slot, but meh.

And the Win10 upgrade path worked; it shows "Windows is activated with a digital license". It's still sluggish, but I suspect it's doing a lot of poo poo in the background (using it now, keeps up w/typing fine, but every now and then I hear the device connected/disconnected sound and see a brief driver install popup). Plus, well, it's a T4400. Not exactly a high end CPU in its day.

I need to find a PCI-x NIC that supports 5 GHz now; 2.4 is so loving saturated where I'm at. At least it's a standard PCI-x module.

In my experience, Win10 will activate with a Win7 or 8 COA. I don't know how you did it, but this has worked for me in the past. You just need to use the MS Media Creation Tool to DL the ISO or installer. MS seems to really want to get everyone off of 7/8.

STR posted:

If you have a working Win7/8/8.1 install (as in activated), you can download the Windows 10 installation media creator and click "upgrade this computer". It still works, for some reason.

Yeah, that.
Even if it's not working, you should be able to use the COA sticker.

New Year's resolution: definitely need to lose some fatass. About 65 pounds or so should do it.