Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Awesome! I have 29 days to finish the house!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Powershift posted:

Great news, December has 31 days! bonus day!

We have ti turn our keys in on the 30th since the 31st is a holiday! Whooo!

They already rented our apartment so we gotta GTFO ASAP.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Queen Combat posted:

I have no holiday money, school is difficult, my parents have disowned me, I can't numb my boredom at night with alcohol, and my peenor doesn't really work anymore (and likely never will again).

This is by far the best time I've ever had in my life.

Just remember the thing you did for your neighbor, that alone shows how great of a person you are. If you were local I'd take you out for dinner and beers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

The number of people that are only staying in the job they have now for the health insurance is staggering. It is absolutely having an effect on our overall economy's productivity. I've got a couple friends that would go out on their own in entrepreneurial ventures, but the cost/risk of health care for their family is prohibitive.

I was looking at my records and my new employer-supplied coverage is roughly the same cost as what I was paying for Marketplace coverage. But the major difference is I'm now in an actual network and don't have to drive 2.5 hours to find a doctor that would take the Ambetter bullshit I was forced into.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fo3 posted:

It's usually ended up expired or from a company that didn't honour it.
Suck it up and realize buying them is loving retarded.

1. What? I have NEVER had a GC expire.

2. Stop saying "retarded." It makes you look like a raging rear end in a top hat.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Drywall work is complete! We're ready to sand the rough spots and start cleaning so we can prime.

I mentioned before that we're going to be transitioning the trim to all white but I have zero experience properly prepping the wood for this, anyone have suggestions or not terrible tutorials? The paint claims that no prep is needed other than cleaning but I'd rather this not look like poo poo when we're finished.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

Yep, quick sand to scuff up the surface. Wipe down. Primer and paint. Oil based takes longer to cure and is a pain to clean up, but pays dividends with hardness and longevity.

I can do that. One more dumb question, should I use a specific type of primer for the wood?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Uhhhh.

My friend's daughter cut her wrists last night. She's been struggling for a while but I guess the Tumblr poo poo was the tipping point for her. Sounds like that was where she spent all of her internet time and 99% of her free time outside of school. She is stable but he's losing it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

spog posted:

Rough.

How old is she?

16. Very introverted. I don't even know if she has any IRL friends. Any time I've gone over there she's been shut away in her room. She's definitely a bit odd as she spends a lot of time drawing overly sexualized cartoon characters (the tumblr connection). I guess she sold commissions through there and made a few bucks here and there.

Edit: the mother is being horrible and calling this a cry for attention.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 4, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bajaha posted:

Ryno is surrounded by terrible people, news at 11.

He's a struggling single parent dealing with a rotten ex wife who is blaming the child for her problems.

So yeah, you can go gently caress yourself for that one buddy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He can't control what his daughter does at her mother's house. I guess I forgot to mention the divorce initially. Still, the assumption that he's a lovely parent pisses me the gently caress off. HAHAHA i know lots of bad people. Yeah, along with a few judgemental fuckheads on the internet.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
All the information I have comes from the broken and possibly drunken texts he is sending. His girlfriend is in NC for work so he's dealing with this alone.

"***** says she does this poo poo all the time for attention" - which makes me think maybe his daughter has been cutting herself?

I doubt he is 100% aware of his daughters problems and struggles, he works 2nd shift so he only sees her a little each day when she stays with him. I've made it very clear he can come stay with us so he doesn't have to be alone but he's declined. He wasn't even aware what tumblr was until recently.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

It's that time.

In other news, I just got an air fryer. Rhyno, teach me your ways.

Chicken breast, sliced semi thin. Very lightly oiled. maybe 20 minutes at 400? Toss in whatever sauce you most enjoy and there you go, no need to ever go out for chicken wings again.

Friends kid is under a 72 hour observation. He's calmed down for now and his girlfriend is flying back early so his support system will be better tomorrow.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Saucemas was delayed because of the home purchase. I have a new hookup on a industrial kitchen where I can mix and bottle so hopefully after the first of the year.

New hookup establishment is also going to have my sauce on the menu.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My friend has regained his calm, his kid is okay for now. He's trying to decide what to do next.

We're just about ready to start painting at the house, should be priming on saturday. 23 days left!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

the spyder posted:

The TV I bought on Black Friday finally showed up.... and is smashed. Box has this small line on the outside, nothing that screams "I've been mishandled". More of I rested up against a smaller box line. Time to play the exchange game and wait another two weeks. drat it.

From Amazon? I'm wary of ordering something like a tv with how bad mail delivery has gotten.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ahhh. I have like zero standards in AV (current tv is 6-7 years old) so I barely know what is good or bad. I just pick what looks good to me in the store at this point.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Congrats! I ripped out carpeting all morning! Home ownership is a curse!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Somebody helped themselves to several boxes of the flooring me that had been set aside for us. Looking to be about 200 sq ft short now of doing the entire second floor in a unified color and pattern.
Irritating but it was free so I guess I can sort something out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Liquid Communism posted:

Bikes are supposed to be on the roadway. Birds don't do anything that a moped doesn't do better, while obeying traffic laws and thus not being a hazard to pedestrians or drivers.

Lotta birds driving where you live?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In early 1996, I was a very small guy. 5'1" and maybe 125lbs. I'd also recently changed schools and didn't have many friends. So I was a target and dude nearly twice my size beat the unholy gently caress out of me. Like, beat me so bad I got knocked out. And after all the hoopla he got a single day of suspension because basketball is more important than an child's safety.

So it was incredibly satisfying to run into him today. Bald, horrifically out of shape and married to a beast of a woman who if I had to guess was 300lbs minimum. When I said "oh this is my wife" you could see the sadness gather in his eyes. It was wonderful. I'm a bum but I won in that contest of life.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

That had to feel really good.

As a FB friend you know I'm not blowing smoke on how pretty my wife is. His face was just full of all the poor decisions he'd made over the last two decades. Not that I'm the king of good choices or anything but I didn't get bear-trapped into something like that.

In other news, holy poo poo do Tacomas hold their goddamned value.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Always a comedian in the bunch!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't own a wood chipper.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

keykey posted:

That's always the best. I was also short until I graduated high school, just kept growing until I was 25 got that from my dad's side. I missed our 10-year class reunion so I went to our 20th and boy am I glad I did. I don't have multiple divorces, poo poo job issues, child support issues or anything of the like that you're talking about like the people that were the super jocks/popular kids that grew up thinking they are on top. I played sports as well, but more of a stay in shape 3rd string sort of thing, not into the realm of my life and well being depends on me playing well with balls.

I had a similar experience at my 20 year reunion last year. So many "this is your fiance???" comments from guys who used to call me a fag back in the day. I mean, I may not have the most amazing job or the nicest car but not marrying the first girl I banged seems to have been the correct choice. One most of my classmates probably ponder daily.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Priming sucks but we're down to a small room and a hallway on the second floor. We should have paint up by the weekend!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

Where's our progress video?

I left my phone in the car.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My employer just got two new contracts. One in defense, one in aerospace. My department will be making material for one of them and we all have to be interviewed by the NSA or something.

I hope they don't take that line about me being a pyro when I was 15 seriously.

we won't actually know what the material application is going towards, this is just standard procedure

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I like my silicone rings but they react oddly to some of the lubricants at work so I wear a placeholder on a cord around my neck.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Grakkus posted:

The one I'm seeing a lot of in Denmark this year is Christmas suits:

Not going to lie, I kinda want one :v:

That poo poo is old hat in the states.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I.... cant honestly say 2018 has been in any shape a bad year. Tiring but not bad. Certainly been very different in parts.

My 2018 was excellent. Rough start but turned that poo poo around fast.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Cheapest out there is shucking a WD 8TB or 10TB external. Or just leave it in its case for easier warranty service if you don't mind having an external.

Next cheapest is getting a used drive from someone like GoHardDrive that offers their own warranty. I added some used HGST 8TB to my server this way because I didn't want to have to store a bunch of WD enclosures for warranty work. But my next round of upgrades will probably be shucked WDs because they're so much cheaper.

Outside of those, take your pick from new Toshiba, new HGST, or new WD. Only one I'd still avoid is Seagate, since the last time I tried them, literally every one was either DOA or died within the burn in process.

I have that 10TB in my wishlist,just waiting for a price break. I'm tired of having 5 drives that I have to swap around to find what I'm looking for.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just have this lovely old Lenovo laptop and my next machine is definitely gonna be a Chromebook.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

STR posted:

Oh, gotcha. Does it have USB 3.0 at least? If it does, a powered USB 3.0 hub and a few USB 3.0 to SATA adapters may be a stopgap fix.

It does but some of these drives are getting pretty old. I have three old Seagates that I currently use to prop my second display up with. Lotta tech junk going in the trash when we move. I'm going with the single external for simplicity and to clean off my desk.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Why'd you jerks let me buy a house? Painting SUCKS.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

Never heard that before.

In other news, I thanked Saint Kashoggi for my sweet $2.54/gallon 93 octane murder gas today.

Gas was $1.92/gallon for 7 octane in Van Wert OH yesterday. I don't even know what the gently caress.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Liquid Communism posted:

Oil prices are down because OPEC is afraid of an embargo over the KSA's shittiness.

No I know why, I just can't wrap my head around it looking back at prices over the last year.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ugh.

Stopped for Burger Fi after a major craving and it just didn't live up to the expectation. Yuck.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Prong Song posted:

There is a BurgerFi near where I live, that is also not good. And yet, there's always a crowd there in the evenings.

I should have just gone with 5G but for some reason I wanted this. Ugh, Still feel gross hours later.

Second floor of the house is all painted except for the hallway. Gotta hustle this week and get the basement painted and we can start moving poo poo in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fermented Tinal posted:

The shop won't return my insurance adjuster's calls and emails.

My adjuster's response has been to send the appraiser back out without notifying the shop. Guess I'll find out more in the next few days.

It took 29 days before State Farm agreed to fix my car after the vandalism. During which someone hit and runned my father's car that he had lent me. Buckle in, it's not fun.

Here's some HAUS progress

Paint finished, I was just messing around with how the flooring would transition into the bathroom and suddenly I'd used up 3 boxes. Should be able to knock it out the master and closet tomorrow.