Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno - get a magnetic stud finder. The electronic ones are all poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

slidebite posted:

I never thought of doing that. I presume you just put a cloth between it and the drywall as your moving the magnet?

I haven't tried it with a bare magnet, but the commercial magnetic ones do have a bit of plastic on the bottom to help them slide.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You Am I posted:

You crazy northerners and your "winter" at this time of the year. It's summer time people

I get to call it "winter" but at most I might see a handful of nights where the overnight low approaches just below freezing. Win/win?

Also, Whamageddon time.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Are you, by any chance, a high school chemistry teacher?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Geoj posted:

Just like sex I'd argue there's not much you can realistically do to stop teenage children from accessing it (short of literally keeping them on a leash), so next best course of action is to educate them so they don't end up with unrealistic expectations regarding sex or place themselves in a position to be exploited.

I'd argue that Tumblr is very much a place where an impressionable sixteen year old would develop extremely unrealistic expectations / have themselves exploited, at the very least mentally if not physically.

STR: Dell has a few lasers that are literally rebranded Brothers. They are just different enough that you can't use a Brother toner in it, but the usual suspects have just as many cheap as gently caress toners for the Dell versions as they do for the Brothers. Depending on when you buy you might be able to get a better deal on the Dell - I did.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Suburban Dad posted:

The internet was a mistake. :argh: Al Gore

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

nm posted:

Then I'd just buy the best printer for the money and add a cheap print server if it works out cheaper, which I bet it almost always does.

I was going to say that nearly every laser printer, even at the bottom of the market, has a print server built in now. But it seems like Brother has taken that out of the HL-L2300D, even though MSRP is $10 more than the HL-L2315DW with wireless :psyduck:

I double checked and the one I have is the Dell E310dw, which is as far as I can tell identical to the HL-L2315DW. I paid $50 for it on sale not quite a year ago.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Father Jack posted:

I don't think Dell ever rebadged brother stuff. Lexmark, Xerox and Samsung yes, and they never actually made their own, but not Brother as far as I know. Note that Dell recently dropped the laser printer business in EMEA like a bad habit. I'd probably buy a cheap craigslist 1720dn or the like, but nothing new.

There's also videos on how to modify a Brother toner cart to fit in the Dell by changing a few gears, but again, pointless as you can just buy one ready for the Dell for the same price.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Prong Song posted:

The biggest hazard to pedestrians are morons who don't look out for pedestrians.

EDIT: To further state; it doesn't matter what someone's driving/riding/operating. If they aren't being careful, eventually someone's going to get hosed up, that someone may not be the operator, and it's going to be the operator's fault.

The other issue at hand is that unlike literally any other form of transportation, the scooters are unceremoniously dumped wherever the gently caress. If some jackass leaves a scooter blocking the sidewalk, that's as much a problem for some pedestrians as someone blasting around about to run them down.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Queen Combat posted:

I've got this set up and...feel the need to hit up the Bookmans.

Do it. Bookman's is loving awesome.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Queen Combat posted:

Oh boy was it crowded today! And some of their prices are pants-on-head dumb. However! I did pick up a few required items.

They straight up give the kid $10 every year on her birthday, and now 10% off all year long as well. Given how much she likes to read, it's a good thing their kids section is well stocked. So I can deal with the occasional wacky price.

I also need to remember to bring them my R9 280. Don't think I want to dick around with eBay or Craigslist with it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ExplodingSims posted:

In other news, I watched all of Project Binky in one go, after long ignoring based on its name. And man, is that filling my head with IDEAS for my own truck :v:

:yeshaha:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fermented Tinal posted:

A silicone wedding ring sounds kinda strange. Like wouldn't it get all torn to hell and be not unlike just using a rubber band?

I have a pack of them (they're so loving cheap why not lol) that I throw on sometimes if I'm going to be on my feet and running around all day, because my fingers swell up a bit and it makes my regular ring uncomfortable. (Exacerbated by the weight I've gained over the past few years, I'm sure) And no, it's not entirely unlike a rubber band, except a bit less give and actually sized to your finger.

I suppose I could put it on while doing yardwork and poo poo, but why?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm on ring number two, mostly because my wife was tired of how scratched up my plain gold band was. So now it's a turned stainless band with a small strip of inlaid silver. Simple, still relatively inexpensive, and it's been resilient as gently caress.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

STR posted:

It's HDD upgrade time!

Cheapest out there is shucking a WD 8TB or 10TB external. Or just leave it in its case for easier warranty service if you don't mind having an external.

Next cheapest is getting a used drive from someone like GoHardDrive that offers their own warranty. I added some used HGST 8TB to my server this way because I didn't want to have to store a bunch of WD enclosures for warranty work. But my next round of upgrades will probably be shucked WDs because they're so much cheaper.

Outside of those, take your pick from new Toshiba, new HGST, or new WD. Only one I'd still avoid is Seagate, since the last time I tried them, literally every one was either DOA or died within the burn in process.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

STR posted:

My external is a WD Green inside its housing (WD MyBook). USB 3.0 at least, but I've just heard so many bad things about Greens that I'd prefer not to run them.

The 8/10TB externals that get shucked for their drives have either reds, white-label reds, or occasionally even HGST drives in them.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The 8TB regularly drops to 130 and the 10tb has hit 160ish recently.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Queen Combat posted:

Also what kind of quest requires a Daft Punk vinyl, two extension cable adapters, a hairbrush, a fountain pen, and various colors of metallic lipsticks?

Gotta keep grinding it for better loot.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Degraded rubber hose acting like a check valve, maybe?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Queen Combat posted:

:emptyquote:

I saw it at the Alamo Drafthouse in Tempe, and chilling with a fried egg sandwich and boozy milkshake was amazing.

That sandwich is so loving good.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

slidebite posted:

There are few things as good and comfy as warm banana bread and a big smear of butter

You are not kidding. Haven't had proper banana bread in a long time.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Adiabatic posted:

I thought she was in nursing school. How would that affect things?

It's her funding.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

INCHI DICKARI posted:

I'm about 99% sure my dad was reading H-doujins until I got up for a snack

I LEARNED IT FROM WATCHING YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Merry Christmas, you filthy animals.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

InitialDave posted:

2-ton long chassis/high lift trolley jacks are where it's at.

The Daytona jacks are actually pretty high lift on their own - whole reason I bought one is to be able to lift my WJ in a single shot without wooden blocks.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That's Phoenix grade heat. What's the humidity like?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Okay, so very Phoenix like weather. Hot, survivable with sufficient water, shade, and A/C.

Give me that temperature in dry air all day long over lower temps and high humidity.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

angryrobots posted:

I'd be scared that the dealer was lying about the real reason it got bought back.

Dealers always loving lie. ALWAYS.

Javid posted:

Would they actually lemon law it because it was a little too noisy? That sounds like bullshit or a SERIOUSLY spineless dealership.

The dealership has nothing to do with lemon law buybacks, it's the manufacturer that actually buys the car back. The dealer's involvement ends at being unable to fix the car after X number attempts / days in the shop based on whatever your state law is.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It has bad wind noise because at highway speed the roof delaminates. :v:

That was the C6 :haw:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I'm gonna make a parachute account and quote all my posts.

Wouldn't be the worst decision you've made in the last 24 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

i came to make this pun but you beat my meat to it.

Takes both hands to do that quickly.