Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
My last running car fell victim to an 18" deep puddle in a city parking lot. :( Serves me right for running the K&N in the fender in winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Kazinsal posted:

I am morbidly curious as to what a foot and a half deep puddle in a *parking lot* looks like, both full and drained.

My flash didn't fire so I can't really show much of the car in the water, but it was up to the top of the sill on my Protege5 where it stopped. and up to my knees at the deepest. Given the ECU is on the passenger floor, I think it might be a total loss :(

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

nm posted:

Rhyno, you sure he didn't just feel bad for your wife?

Yikes

(she seems lovely)

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

*edit: related, I finally got around to readjusting the speaker setup in the workshop. :black101: :black101: :black101:

I think we should have a shop/garage/shed stereo thread, because this might be enough SPL to work.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Jalopnik keeps posting poo poo on Facebook about the new "mid-engined Corvette". I keep commenting that it's going to be a Cadillac. Apparently some people don't like that very much. I love aggravating Corvette guys.

They hate anything that isn't the normal formula, but gently caress if Caddy is making a better car.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Anyone have the old AI Christmas tree? IoC, and sigtrap before him used to put it up.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Took my sweet B6T swapped 323 Wagon to the smog referee and passed all the emissions tests, except the ECU is from a 49 State/Federal spec car, so now I have to find a 1991-1994 California Spec ECU. Smog ref was cool guy and did everything he possibly could do to make it pass, but the state requires the correct ECU part number*

I also changed the oil to 10W-30 high mileage synthetic and smokes almost all the time now, rather than just at startup :( Great leakdown numbers, so maybe valve stem seals and something else?

*That is proving difficult to even find, mine is a B6V8 but it definitely is not a B6VE or B6VD

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 28, 2018

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

meatpimp posted:

Can you just swap your ECU into a case with the correct part number? There is no way California is going to go looking for outside ECU matching the board inside the ECU case in a 25 year old import. Or am I just a naive flyover-dweller?

I was just going to buy the cover, the California one has the same outer part number and PROM part number per this: https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/pcldtmdv/1991/ford_pc_a0100448_1d6_ta0.pdf but had a huge FEDERAL/CAN sticker on it.

Its my fault for mentioning it in the first place, but the ref was super cool and gave me his phone number to figure out what ECU numbers I can use, and that if I can find a 92 or 93 ECU, he can probably pass that.

edit: If anyone lives in Ontario, if they could check the PickYourPart for the 91 Capri there, its likely to be a California car and I'll pay for the ECU, driving 500 miles is a bit out of my New Year's plans.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 28, 2018

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

There's more registered cars in California than people in Canada, plus massive sections of population are grouped around geography prone to inversion layers, so being more proactive about pollution control doesn't bother me. I could register a 323 GT-R in California, I'd just have to prove what the above poster said, which is certify the car for a whole test cycle like a manufacturer would do.

Plus nothing is as fun as digging out 28 year old documents from crusty old databases to find the correct ECU part number I'd need.

Now, if I didn't have to drive to Rialto (275 eag way), that would be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I got a whole airconditioning system for my Rocky! Didn't get the back glass, I missed it by a few minutes as a fellow Daihatsu nut had camped out in their lot the morning before, not having to had done the 250 mile drive. Oh well

Also the drat ECU is correct for California in 1991, I pulled the VECI label off the car to go with the ECU.