Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaH5OxX8f34

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

IOwnCalculus posted:

Rhyno - get a magnetic stud finder. The electronic ones are all poo poo.

The electronic one I got from Costco was really good, marking exactly where the studs were, along with width... until I shot a brad through the sensor. :(

Edit: Costco had it for $20: https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Sensors-Professional-Scanning-Profinder/dp/B00OIHLV3Q

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Avenging Dentist posted:

If the dumb poo poo makes you sad in your heart, here is a uBlock rule: forums.somethingawful.com##cloudflare-app[app="corner-ribbon"]

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I'd love to see what the employee market would look like if we gave everyone medical, prescription, dental, and vision coverage. If people could job-hunt without that hanging over them, employers would have to actually compete rather than being able to rely on people being desperate for any job.

The number of people that are only staying in the job they have now for the health insurance is staggering. It is absolutely having an effect on our overall economy's productivity. I've got a couple friends that would go out on their own in entrepreneurial ventures, but the cost/risk of health care for their family is prohibitive.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Dagen H posted:

Lol I just bought a loving Aztek

Waiting for the thread.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Suburban Dad posted:

:lol: you guysssssss

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Darchangel posted:

Basics are to knock the gloss off, if glossy. You can sand, or there are liquid products that will do it. Gotta give the paint something to bite into. If it's just unpainted wood (sorry, haven't watched the whole video tour), you're probably ready to go as is.

Yep, quick sand to scuff up the surface. Wipe down. Primer and paint. Oil based takes longer to cure and is a pain to clean up, but pays dividends with hardness and longevity.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Queen Combat posted:

When you view a relationship through a rose-tinted dick, all the red wedding nights look just like nights.

*warning lights.

And agreed. You've got some of the pain behind you. You can leave it there or revisit. I can't judge, some paths come back together, but make sure you use both heads to make the real decision.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

InitialDave posted:

I think QC was fairly specific in her wording.

Ah, I missed the GoT reference... probably because I don't watch it. Carry on.

Edit: Oh dear, Urban Meyer is retiring after the Rose Bowl. This city very well may implode.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Dec 4, 2018

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

He's a struggling single parent dealing with a rotten ex wife who is blaming the child for her problems.

So yeah, you can go gently caress yourself for that one buddy.

I don't think he meant that in an overly harsh way.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'd argue that Tumblr is very much a place where an impressionable sixteen year old would develop extremely unrealistic expectations / have themselves exploited, at the very least mentally if not physically.

I don't know how you let your 16 year old go on Tumblr in the first place. If I saw that pop up on my kid's history, we'd be having a discussion, then I'd be blocking the site. Nothing good ever came from Tumblr.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Ether Frenzy posted:

16 year olds can drive literal cars to places you can't monitor. People who can drive cars are adults in everything but the difference between which jail they'll go to if they kill someone while doing it. Perhaps you should stop snooping in their internet use at this point.

If you're the parent of a 16 year old and do not monitor them to some degree, you're doing parenting wrong. They are legally your responsibility, and morally/ethically your responsibility, too. If you're allowing a side-Tumblr hustle to continue from your 16 year old girl, there is a problem.

These things shouldn't be hard to understand.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Ether Frenzy posted:

You're correct, I'm not a parent - I only have it from the "I would have been disgusted to find out that my parents' acquaintances were discussing my personal life with a bunch of random strangers and making weird assumptions based on knowing literally nothing about me" angle that I would have had when I was 16.

These things shouldn't be that hard to understand.

This world isn't what it was 30 years ago. Giving a teenager unfettered access to the internet with zero oversight is reckless, but if you don't have kids, I can understand a lack of comprehension. It really does change your perspective.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Sorry I think weird patriarchal thoughts about other people's nearly-grown daughters is "a bad thing".

And the fact that you think 16 years old is "nearly-grown" punctuates that. Kids of that age are still kids. They have complex thoughts and are just coming to the point of being truly self-aware, but to just say "Hey y'all, just have at that internet and do fetish drawings for whomever you bump into on Tumblr" is asinine.

I respect my kid and recognize that he's going to make choices that I may or may not be okay with... but if I see he's routinely camping out on some fringe site, well, that's when you have to parent.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Monitoring in this case mostly means “check in every once in a while”

And that's exactly what I do. See what pops up frequently and in general, I don't worry about it, because he's a good kid. But I'll watch to make sure he stays on that track.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

spog posted:

Did everyone get out of the wrong side of bed or receive the wrong type of gift card today?

Feels like everyone's monthly cycles have synced up.

It's that time.

In other news, I just got an air fryer. Rhyno, teach me your ways.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Geoj posted:

As an IT professional now I get a good laugh at the idea that you could block a website with any degree of efficacy. Sure, it's possible in your home or on a device you control. But when internet connected devices with HD playback capability can be had for a song (say, a three plus year old mid-range smartphone), and finding open internet is as simple as walking a few blocks to the nearest retail establishment (or even within range of a lazy neighbor) I think you'll start to understand how futile this all is.

Locks just keep an honest man honest. There's always ways around regulations... whether it's cars or computers or girls. It's a parent's job to put reasonable barriers to the more stupid choices therein.

In other news, my cousin just got a new CB300R, and it makes me want a biek.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Posting here is my greatest secret shame obv

I'm tellin' on u. I know your number on Facesbuks.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Del 1355cn here. It's about 6-ish years old and great for a color laser... except the motherfucker goes to sleep on the network and you have to manually wake it, which defeats the whole purpose of having a network printer... it's fully abandoned as far as support/firmware goes, so I don't think there's anything to change. Sad.

Edit: quick google search shows that it may just be the printer dropping its dhcp lease and I just need to assign it a permanent address... I may try that.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Gingerbread House Music posted:

Sketchy is the previous tenants driving by, seeing me, then passing to talk to the neighbors behind before taking off.

Make sure the locks have been changed.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

In early 1996, I was a very small guy. 5'1" and maybe 125lbs. I'd also recently changed schools and didn't have many friends. So I was a target and dude nearly twice my size beat the unholy gently caress out of me. Like, beat me so bad I got knocked out. And after all the hoopla he got a single day of suspension because basketball is more important than an child's safety.

So it was incredibly satisfying to run into him today. Bald, horrifically out of shape and married to a beast of a woman who if I had to guess was 300lbs minimum. When I said "oh this is my wife" you could see the sadness gather in his eyes. It was wonderful. I'm a bum but I won in that contest of life.

That had to feel really good.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

64bit_Dophins posted:

The bimmer purchase was delayed because my buddy's gf has mental health issues that needed be addressed this past weekend :(

I did dig up the pic I took of the engine bay.

Looks pretty clean but looks can always be deceiving

Looks really clean and corrosion free. Missing the caps on the valve cover plastic cover, but those are usually gone. Looks like a p good buy.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

Priming sucks but we're down to a small room and a hallway on the second floor. We should have paint up by the weekend!

Where's our progress video?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Fermented Tinal posted:

Last straw, really. My year was ruined due to a multitude of reasons.

poo poo, just losing a new car that you had so much time invested in during the hunt for it sucks. Hope things turn around for you.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Ether Frenzy posted:

That gen of Forester is so much cooler than the current stuff they make.

Agreed. My modded XT was cartoonishly fast.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I was emphatically expressing my disapproval of my son's reply yesterday and slapped my hand down on the kitchen island.

Granite is hard.

Tungsten Carbide is hard.

Tungsten Carbide lost and I broke my wedding ring in half.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Suburban Dad posted:

That sucks. :( Good opportunity to get a silicone one now. I kind of wish I had done that in the first place after seeing so many mechanics at work with them. Pretty smart and easily replaced if it gets cut or whatever.

Good edit. Brittle is, in fact, a better description of its properties. :D

I told my wife and she said "third time's the charm," since I lost the first one half a dozen years ago when I was mountain biking in mud, fell, shook out my hands and didn't notice until later that I shook off my ring. :(

At least they're less than :20bux:

At least I have a wife that doesn't blow a gasket about little poo poo.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

My son just turned 11. The other day he was making a bunch of noise in his room so I went to investigate and this was the exchange

:colbert: what are you doing
:cheeky: why do you care
:colbert: excuse me?
:cheeky: it was a simple question
:colbert: well here's a simple answer, you're loving grounded

He's already a teenager :smithicide:

Been there. I've got a good kid, but there are some extra challenges. Plus, I've been sick for 2 weeks, had stomach flu Monday night, then drove his rear end 3 hours each way to Indianapolis on Tuesday night for a concert. It was the wrong time for sass. :D

Fermented Tinal posted:

In other news I got the job. Min wage but 8 minute commute.

Grats on the new income stream!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Suburban Dad posted:

Silocone ring mention

My wife's father lost a ring finger to a soccer net. Ring got caught on a hook as he was jumping up to re-hook the net.

I've taken that as a lesson and I don't do a damned thing that's mechanically-related with a ring on. Many days it's in my pocket more than it's on my finger.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

When we treat priapism, just pulling out a big loving needle and syringe and saying, "I'm going to stick this in your dick and take 60cc of blood out of it," often is enough to resolve the issue.

I wish someone would have that recorded an put on youtube. That'd be one hell of an interaction.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 13, 2018

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

everdave posted:

Mine was just stainless steel after losing the titanium one somehow after leaving work (skinny jeans i guess it popped off in parking lot). I also threw mine in the ocean. Felt good.

The one from my first marriage got ground into fine gold dust on my bench grinder. :getin:

doogle posted:

I heard a flapping noise sort of like a flat tire so I pulled over and pulled this blade out of the tread. It was cutting side in the tread and I pulled over within 50 feet of hearing it so hopefully I avoided a leak but probably not.

Fingers crossed. That's an odd foreign object for a tire.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Congratulations! Puppies always make everything better.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

spog posted:

the heartbreak and misery associated with them.

Maybe, but by that point, it's almost all beautiful catharsis.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Gingerbread House Music posted:

I just told the woman that has been burning up the back of my mind for the better part of a decade+ to tell me if there's no chance, and she said she can't do that to my wife. Oops.

Wait... what?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

nm posted:

I get what you're saying, but my s9 is so much better than previous version imho. The software is barely annoying.

Agreed. This S9+ is better than my old 6p in every way, and I really liked the 6p. I tried the S8+ a few months ago, but it wasn't that much better than the 6p... but the 9 really seems to hit the mark.

Sure there are a couple annoyances ( keyboard, mostly), but I agree, it's not that much of a detraction.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

Why'd you jerks let me buy a house? Painting SUCKS.

Never heard that before.

In other news, I thanked Saint Kashoggi for my sweet $2.54/gallon 93 octane murder gas today.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Fermented Tinal posted:

Human beings have this thing where they like to watch a disaster unfold from a safe distance.

It's called schadenfreude. And it can be glorious.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

tetrapyloctomy posted:

We're not seeing the same output on baked goods this year because my parents have been helping out considerably with Tetrapyloctomy Junior, but in years past it was not uncommon for her to say things like, "I'm mostly done, I only have about eighty dozen cookies to go."

Similar here. We scaled back fudge production this year, but we still made over 30 pounds this weekend. I love fudge, but god drat, I very quickly get sick of seeing it.

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Man just gently caress 2018

Got a cute lil puppy from a rescue

Turns out cute lil puppy has parvo and might loving die in a vet hospital.

And the wife fractured her foot because she lost her balance/fell down our steps.

And I didn't even get the bread pudding I ordered through door dash.

Im bout to drink till the world spins itself onto an alternate, better timeline.

E: https://youtu.be/wHGN-fAkk5Y

Super poo poo bout of luck there. :( Best wishes for the doggo, and your wife will heel. :unsmith:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Suburban Dad posted:

I'm still trying to convince myself that a Buick Tourx wouldn't be a cool rear end wagon instead, though.

What the gently caress is up with those? I was looking last week after seeing a ... Buick... wagon on a tv commercial. I knew nothing about them. 250hp ain't much, but at a $30k buy-in with a 4-year warranty, it certainly looks the part.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Looking forward to tomorrow's "Guys, my knees really hurt" post.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Suburban Dad posted:

It doesn't even have components, though. :v:
-cassette
-shifter(s)
-derailer(s)
-brakes (lol)

Glad you're enjoying it.

-headset
-bottom bracket
-rear disc
-crank arms/gears
-wheels, inc. hub/spokes/rims
-tires
-saddle
-seatpost
-handlebars
-grips
-etc.

:rolleyes:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

ilkhan posted:

If you want better data (because I'm not the one to listen to on this) read this. http://monsterhunternation.com/2012/12/20/an-opinion-on-gun-control/

Ah yes, when I want better data, I look for peer-reviewed academic sources such as Monster Hunter Nation dot com. (that in which cites wordpress and guncite.com :bravo: )

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

spog posted:

I'm curious: if there is a us govt shutdown today, are any of you guys directly affected?

I have a friend that's a scientist for the government. She's a couple days into a 2-week vacation, because she has ~100 hours of time that she has to use by January 6 or she'll lose it. If they shut down, she just loses it. She's uber pissed.

ilkhan posted:

Congrats on your reading comprehension.

Care to explain that? You were not being sarcastic in your post, and you gave the monster hunter site as a place for "data." The only thing I can't comprehend is your world view.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

InitialDave posted:

Hang on, if they're shut down, what's she meant to do other than be on holiday? And how does that even work anyway, losing time that's booked already?

She scheduled vacation, because she was over the carryover limit. If she doesn't use those hours, she'll lose them. If the government is shut down, that supersedes vacation pay and she'll just lose the time she's banked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

ilkhan posted:

The author of MHI (the name of the book series, BTW) is a class 7 FFL, CCW instructor, and a world class shooter. If you read the article he gives far more data and applied experience than I can. Since you obviously didn't read the article, where that experience is laid out in the first couple paragraphs, I called you out for not reading said article.

He knows guns and shoots guns and teaches guns. Big loving deal. That has nothing to do with the way guns are handled in a policy or regulation format. And his "support" was other bloggers. Absolutely zero credibility in an academic forum. If that's the type of source you think is reliable and valid well... that explains a lot.