Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Who was it asking for a gift of Eve stuff? Send me a pm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Fo3 posted:

Giftcards are the worst.
"couldn't be hosed doing anything other than locking you into one shop that may have conditions of use".
It's worse than cash, and it's not really a gift. Just send cash or a proper thoughtful gift.
I have strong opinion on this because amazon is poo poo, plus I never bothered to cash in a gift card most times. $$$$ wasted by the people that bought them for me and now I wouldn't get anything decent for them ever. The few I used was to buy a gift for someone else next christmas I think.
I'm fussy and get what I want where I want and don't carry giftcards around everywhere with me so they are often forgotten (plus often not valid where I want to get something right now)

A gift card is the lamest thing ever. Shops that sell them suck, people that buy them are fools. Stick cash in a card or something jeez.
It's like treating your friends and family like hobos begging for money. "no, I won't give you cash because you'll use it for drugs/booze, but I'll bring you food/a blanket". Like "can't trust this person with cash they'll use it for blow and hookers" type poo poo and retailers feed on that and hope all the people you buy gift cards for never use them.
Do you have an address I can send a $.02 amazon gift card to you at?

It's loving money. Suck it up and appreciate that someone is giving you something at all.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I need your tire dealer's info.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

MomJeans420 posted:

I've never driven in the snow, but I'm flying to a bachelor party in an area that will have snow in January (Truckee, NV) , and need to rent a car. From what I hear from my friend who lives there, as long as it's not actively snowing they're good at keeping the roads clear. I'm debating renting a minivan or a Ford Transit, just because we have so many people, however I could pay double the price for a car with AWD (that only seats 5). I guess I just have to put on chains if I end up driving in as it's snowing, I'm assuming the rental car in a snowy area comes with them in the trunk? I guess my question is am I crazy for renting a minivan in a place that may be snowing? I could just uber everywhere and then not have to worry about it, which also sounds nice.
Let me know when you are out here.
Also Truckee is CA.

Uber-ing everywhere is viable, but expensive. Don't expect chains in a rental. Actually, expect a chains are banished clause in the rental agreement.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Dec 5, 2018

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

That little gas stop on the edge of Reno actually has a building right on the state line. One side has lines, other side has CA lotto machines. And a nice white line down the middle to know which side is which.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Kids are a loving treat. Book presentation due tomorrow, 3 minutes long, specific requirements, he's had the assignment issue for months. We ask him to give us his presentation for practice. It's 58 seconds long. We ask for the assignment page and it also requires a visual aid (that he doesn't have) and a specific outline on how to present it.

Fun!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

You left it a little late to check there buddy. How old is he?
Just turned 15. He's...

Yeah, we did. We've been checking on his progress over the last week or so, and checking on his reading progress before that. But we didn't ask him to practice it for us until last night. Oops.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Just turned on Monday night football. Seattle is dominating this game and Minnesota isn't helping their case that its undeserved. drat

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 11, 2018

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

MrChips posted:

:siren::siren: There are 10 days left to play the Sheep Game!

We've only got 26 players so far for it, and I want to see a bare minimum of 50, and ideally over 60. So I'm calling on you, shitposters valued members of AI, to come play the Sheep Game today!
You burned me out on this when I hadn't even heard of half the most popular answers 3 games in a row.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

meatpimp posted:

I was emphatically expressing my disapproval of my son's reply yesterday and slapped my hand down on the kitchen island.

Granite is hard.

Tungsten Carbide is hard.

Tungsten Carbide lost and I broke my wedding ring in half.
Yikes. Bet that was fun to explain.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Darchangel posted:

My dad has kept his gold ring on his keychain for as long as I can remember.
Same.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

My ring is simple steel. WTF are you guys doing with expensive wedding rings?

*When* we next get a dog its going to be named Stormfather, just so we can call him Stormy while being a Sanderson reference. Or if its a bitch Sylphrena.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Gingerbread House Music posted:

Yeah, i told her that's the classic player move, but she's too afraid of being alone to face it.

Also, lol, my wife knows our marriage is dead, and has been for the better part of a decade.
If its been dead for a year why are you still, you know, married? And/or opening the marriage should be no problem.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

nm posted:

I get what you're saying, but my s9 is so much better than previous version imho. The software is barely annoying.
If you don't want a headphone jack, the new pixel isn't truly mindblowing, but the software is great.
I decided to send my Black Friday 3XL back 24 hours after receiving it and just keeping my 2XL. It's good, but just not better enough.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

My grandparents raised emus in KY for a while. Pretty eggs. Mean birds.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

So. Adult Legos. Discuss.

Liquid Communism posted:

This may be heresy, but that did nothing for me. It's all closed-course stunt driving with a sfx budget and a ton of jump cuts and special effects. Basically an over-long Ford commercial.
Same.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Pros: You are a grown-rear end person with your own money and nobody to say "No", and "It's too expensive".

Cons: All the sets you wanted as a kid are even more :10bux: and harder to find. You still buy them anyways.
I'm gonna build a set of custom models. No sets needed! Just a bunch of random bricks.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Huh, I didn't know rear-only brakes were a thing. I obviously knew you could throw yourself over the handlebars if you hit only the front brakes hard, but I always figured you still wanted both because of weight transfer limiting rear braking. How much does a bike like that weigh?
It absolutely should have front brakes on it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Double post because this is awesome engineering

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoxhDk-hwuo
Saw that last night. Amazing job.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

InitialDave posted:

I'm expecting the result of this to be additional regulation that makes things harder and generally buggers things up for everyone, while failing to actually prevent anything similar happening again.
Something something guns.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Geoj posted:

Police magdumping at a flying drone in a densely populated area - what could possibly go wrong?!?
Not at all what I meant. That reply was about burdensome but ineffective laws.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ether Frenzy posted:

Yeah, all those mass shootings that don't happen in the UK are sure burdensome to their kids who aren't being murdered I bet.

One of the more amusing parts of gun fetish culture and the unfounded fear that everyone needs to be running around like it's the final circle of PUBG at all times is that cops in the UK, unlike their US counterparts, have actually come into contact with terrorism at some point in their careers. Ever hear of the IRA?
Mass shootings are statically incredible rare. You act like large scale murder doesn't happen in the Europe. It does. It's just in different forms. And Australia didn't didn't really have any large scale attacks before the the gun buyback.

The vast majority of "gun deaths" in the US are suicides. And iirc suicide isn't significantly rarer in the US, just suicide by gun. You fix that by decreasing the desire to commit suicide. Not by taking away one of the many means if doing it.

If you want better data (because I'm not the one to listen to on this) read this. http://monsterhunternation.com/2012/12/20/an-opinion-on-gun-control/

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

meatpimp posted:

Ah yes, when I want better data, I look for peer-reviewed academic sources such as Monster Hunter Nation dot com. (that in which cites wordpress and guncite.com :bravo: )
Congrats on your reading comprehension.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

meatpimp posted:

Care to explain that? You were not being sarcastic in your post, and you gave the monster hunter site as a place for "data." The only thing I can't comprehend is your world view.
The author of MHI (the name of the book series, BTW) is a class 7 FFL, CCW instructor, and a world class shooter. If you read the article he gives far more data and applied experience than I can. Since you obviously didn't read the article, where that experience is laid out in the first couple paragraphs, I called you out for not reading said article.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

meatpimp posted:

He knows guns and shoots guns and teaches guns. Big loving deal. That has nothing to do with the way guns are handled in a policy or regulation format. And his "support" was other bloggers. Absolutely zero credibility in an academic forum. If that's the type of source you think is reliable and valid well... that explains a lot.
No, it's not academic level. But it is reality and he's better at explaining it than I am.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Adiabatic posted:

Hey speaking of, my dad and sister got to shoot my sniper rifle today. It was a good time.

E: wtf imgur ill fix this later
Fixed?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Our calendar appointment for 6a-6p today is "stay in bed all day". We may be able to accomplish that even.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

InitialDave posted:

When wishing you had another orifice in your body, it's very important to be specific with the universe at large as to where.
:wow:

(Not on admiration)

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 24, 2018

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

7°C and wet. Popping down the hill tomorrow morning is going to be fun.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Happy Xmas y'all.

All traffic is being held. This is... Annoying

E: and we're right back where we started because gently caress caltrans.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 25, 2018

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Regulate all the things!

But yeah, it's just more CA bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Adiabatic posted:

I, for one, personally, love dicks.
You love them, QC hates hers. There's probably some some sort of a deal there.