Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Gift cards are great. My grandma doesn't know what I want or need because she's 92 and barely holding off senile dementia, so she just shotguns amazon gift cards at me and I buy stuff I want and show it to her, everyone involved is happy with this arrangement.

The gifts that really annoy me are when somebody asks for my amazon wishlist then doesn't use it, which just wastes the time of everyone involved.

e: sometimes she gives me a fred meyer gift card instead, which goes in my van and generally directly into the gas tank. It's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I wouldn't be shocked to see a rash of issues like that related to tumblr because of the moronic ways they're defining "adult content". The system is automated and flagging posts as "adult" that are absolutely not even remotely adult. Like pictures of deserts, or anything critical of Tumblr. Most hilariously is a post that's just a screenshot of tumblr's stock price taking a massive poo poo when they announced it. Everyone who reblogs it gets the little message that it was flagged. It's a glorious trash fire, but there are also nonzero people whose actual income comes from selling whatever imagery on there who are gonna be hosed.

E:

Also you really don't "let" a teenager do anything on the internet. That is always and forever a losing battle.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Right or wrong, trying to utterly monitor and dictate your kid's internet activities is a fool's errand once they hit the mid teens. The futile attempts will just make them trust you even less.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

"My kid's rights are what I decide they are" is exactly the recipe for a hosed up teenager who tries to kill themself because tumblr is self-immolating, hth

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I put up with a lot of other poo poo at work because "I'm sick" is a complete sentence and I don't get hassled to come in.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

loving RockAuto.

Three parts I need and there is absolutely no combination of them that comes from one goddamned warehouse. With all that shipping factored in, O'Reilly's is cheaper, so gently caress it I'm not even gonna wait for shipping.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Double post because this is awesome engineering

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoxhDk-hwuo

This is great but also you're betting four iphones that it lands safely and isn't thrown out a window on the freeway or something.

If this was like a $50 Pi-based device that you could remotely brick (or ideally detonate) if they did keep it I'd probably buy one, though.

Javid fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 20, 2018

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I have two bikes on my back porch, one in my living room, and one locked up on my front porch, because I am too utterly stupid to turn down a free decent bike. Since this is Oregon's annual "rain for 75 days straight" season, I have ridden zero of them in the last calendar month. The living room one has been used to hang things I've painted for drying because it's got convenient hooky-bits on the handlebars and is right in front of the heater.

I freely admit I have too much stuff, but everyone else who likes to constantly remind me about it like I don't know suddenly loses interest when I ask for help sorting through the boxes. Thanks, guys!

e: also O'Reilly's beat RockAuto on 2 of my 3 parts so lol. The physical stores are finally learning how to compete, maybe?

Javid fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 20, 2018

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

I absolutely cannot get in the mood this year. Just want the world to gently caress off and let me drink in peace.

This is where I'm at. I realized this year that my year really peaks at Thanksgiving. T-day is about gorging yourself on turkey with your favorite people, Christmas is now about being pressured to buy poo poo.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My dog's birthday is 12/21, but we celebrate it on christmas eve since that's when everyone's there.

The cat generally loafs angrily during the birthday party but she'll come down when it's time to beg for dinner scraps.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

The nice thing about a small holiday gathering is that the pool of people who can blow it up by getting sick is also small.

I have a distinct memory still of a Christmas when I was 8 or so, where some random really old person whose relation to me was unclear fell and broke a hip on the 24th. We had to spend most of that night and the next day in the hospital with the rest of my mom's gigantic Greek family pretending not to be miserable. 8 year old me is just like, I don't know who that even is, why are we here?

E: I'm glad my drive today is only a mile, though I'm running shy one motor mount so it's still not pleasant.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

It took about 20 minutes for one of my parents to introduce the phrase "the coloreds" into the discussion and things went downhill from there.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Two / three.

Ryobi ONE+ are not the best or most powerful but if you want bang for buck they just cant be beaten - something that cheap shouldn't be that powerful, or that rugged, or batteries that last that long or have such a well thought out tool and battery system.

Yeah, for being the cheapest poo poo at home depot they're incredibly solid.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Would they actually lemon law it because it was a little too noisy? That sounds like bullshit or a SERIOUSLY spineless dealership.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

California was a mistake, really.

Today sucked.

One of the ever growing list of things the Haynes book just portrays as "unbolt and remove, then bolt the new one in" when it really loving isn't, and involves parts that cannot physically be inserted into the place where they go.

The good part is that the ride in this van is roughly one billion times smoother now.

The bad part is the unrelated permanent CEL for a problem that literally, provably does not exist. God dammit, early 90s dodge.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Getting pissy about your nickname has been the recipe for receiving a new, worse one for as long as I can remember. This isn't some new level of cruelty being displayed, here, it's just life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I had hoped posting the latest episode from the van of horrors would pull the discussion back towards car stuff, but it did not. Sorry, I tried.