Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I have an interview on Wednesday morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
So my interview this morning ended up taking place at the local temp agency. First thing my interviewer did was inform me that the job I was interviewing for was already filled.

What a waste of loving time.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Finally got the estimate for the damage to the Forte yesterday, almost a month after the accident. I bitched about it in Slack, but for the rest of you here's what's up.

$11k in damage, $13k after taxes, appraiser valued it at $6k over sticker price or $3k more than the grand total on my bill-of-sale. While I did get a little bit of a discount because my brother sold it to me, it's a base model compact, my screaming good deal was a savings of a couple hundred bucks. I can't find a base model manual Forte being sold for even remotely close to that valuation anywhere, let alone with 3,300km on the clock.

Also the front bumper is now cracked on the right side. The shop won't take responsibility for it and from the pictures in the estimate there is no indication of front-end damage when the appraiser looked at it. I sure as poo poo hadn't had a chance to mount a curb or bump a snowbank with my two-week-old car before I got rear-ended.

I'm saying it.

gently caress 2018.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It's just a car dude, if that seriously ruined your year you need some perspective

Last straw, really. My year was ruined due to a multitude of reasons.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I'm supposed to get a call about a new jerb today so, finger's crossed.

Honestly I might be overreacting, it's more like gently caress-The-Last-Four-Weeks.

1. Lost the shop.
2. Lost the 2 post lift.
3. Got rear-ended 2 weeks after geting my first ever brand new car.
4. Was given an ultimatum by my boss to move closer or find another job.
5. Had to pay to replace the windshield on my rental.
6. Got called in to interview for a job only to find out at the start of the interview the position had been filled.
7. Was told the front bumper for the car is cracked and so far it's looking like I'll be paying for it.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Dec 12, 2018

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

LloydDobler posted:

Yeah that is the dumbest poo poo, creating problems that aren't there. I work with two guys with hell commutes.

One loves where he lives, way out in the boonies, and his house is fully paid off. So he commutes 130 miles each way. He carpools with his wife so they have almost 2 hours in the morning and evening to hang out and listen to audiobooks or whatever. I couldn't do it, but it works for them. Dude has 4 or 5 beater cars and just makes sure that one of them is always reliable.

The other guy is fresh out of college, so he never learned to drive. He gets up at 5 AM and ubers to the closest bus stop, then rides a bus for over an hour. Every day.

Both are great workers and only once in a while do their commutes impact their work. It's no big deal.

Mine is 164km each way, similar situation as the first guy except no SO and I don't generally listen to anything except road noise.

E: Some slight good news, insurance company now thinks the shop damaged the bumper after examining the pictures the shops sent and comparing them to the estimate's pictures.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
So I said I don't normally listen to anything other than the car while driving. I finally signed up for Spotify and was listening on my way down today.

Right as Highway 10 turned into the 410, Highway to Hell comes on. This was followed by Stairway to Heaven which ended right as I'm pulling into the parking lot and followed The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

poo poo's about to get way worse for me, isn't it. :smith:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Honestly, it's none of my boss' goddamn business how far away I live or how long my commute is as long as I am on time for work.

In fact, I am the only person who is routinely on time, my boss himself is usually opening the store 30-40 minutes after our posted hours. I do struggle with being at our Toronto store on time on Saturdays, but it's an extra 30 minutes of driving each way and that's assuming the Gardiner isn't a parking lot, which it usually is.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 12, 2018

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Whenever I am held up by traffic, I call my boss and tell him I'm gonna be late.

I'm the only employee who will notify my boss in advance if I am gonna be late.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I got a call for an interview tomorrow morning. Person wanted to meet around 10, I had to explain to them it needed to be earlier than that because I have to leave for work at 9:40 to be there on time because I think it's important.

They agreed to interview me at 8am instead.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
The only sour beers worth drinking come from Belgium.

A nice geuze lambic is practically champagne in beer form.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I'm entitled to my opinion, and you're entitled to disagree with it. vOv

As for my custom title, I still have no idea who it was that got mad at me for telling Dave he should do what he felt best for himself to do when his ex contacted him before she got married or engaged or whatever.

E: The post that earned it, iirc was. "You know what you need to do, so I suggest you do that." or something along those lines.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 13, 2018

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Applebees Appetizer posted:

:colbert: well here's a simple answer, you're loving grounded

:owned:

In other news I got the job. Min wage but 8 minute commute.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Suburban Dad posted:

Congrats! Hopefully the commute distance/time makes up for the assumed pay difference?

Well I'm not going to be spending $800/m on gasoline, oil changes, general maitenance, etc. So, kinda? Also it's full time and probably includes some OT.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
A silicone wedding ring sounds kinda strange. Like wouldn't it get all torn to hell and be not unlike just using a rubber band?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Staying together "for the kids" is a pretty terrible reason to stay together and your kids will resent you for it.

Speaking from experience, though after my brother and I were out of the house the flame re-ignited. Is that something you're willing to risk?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Gingerbread House Music posted:

Logically, i know that. But being the product of a divorced couple, my brokebrains keep telling me to stay.

Also, "reigniting" anything with her sounds terrible tbh. I just want my space.

This is what your kids will be like in their 30s, just so you know.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I have mixed and strong feelings about 2018.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I went from a S7 to a Pixel 3 on Black Friday, included an additional 1gb of data and my monthly rate remained unchanged. I opted to not go with the XL because I can't stand notches, so far I'm liking it, though honestly I didn't hate or have any issues with my S7. I didn't want a S8 or a S9 specifically because of the Bixby button.

So far I'm liking it but I really think the fingerprint sensor should do double-duty as a secondary home button. I find myself tapping it to go back to the home screen even though I know it doesn't do that on any phone that has a back fingerprint sensor.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I'm the opposite, I wouldn't trust a WD as far as I could throw it, but I've got a 500gb Seagate 7200.11 that I never updated the firmware on that is still trucking. I've never had good luck with WDs, can think of dozens of failures, especially in server applications, but I've only ever had one Seagate die on me.

I've got a dead 1tb WD Black sitting on my desk right now.

E: I had the same experience with Maxtors, only one ever gave me trouble and that was due to me dropping it and after I replaced the board on it it was fine.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 15, 2018

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
My insurance adjuster sent me the picture of the "small crack" on the front bumper of the Forte that the body shop sent him.

I'm loving pissed. There's no way the appraiser would've overlooked it and there's no way I was driving it around like this before the accident.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rhyno posted:

Why'd you jerks let me buy a house? Painting SUCKS.

Human beings have this thing where they like to watch a disaster unfold from a safe distance.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

slidebite posted:

Hey look what I found in my garage

Powered it up for first time in probably 20 years.

I am 1000% positive that the memory of the old flight sims is better than actually playing the old flight sims :(

Get a replacement power supply from Ray Carlsen before the original brick fries the computer. Also, sweet, I brought one of these back from the dead a few months ago, had to replace every ram chip.

E: Just saw Seat's post, lol.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Carpet? What is this, 1997?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
The shop won't return my insurance adjuster's calls and emails.

My adjuster's response has been to send the appraiser back out without notifying the shop. Guess I'll find out more in the next few days.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Insurance company assured me they're on my side and are unhappy that the shop is acting like this, especially since I'm supposed to have the car back by now.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Merry Christmas to everyone who doesn't own a Mopar.

To everyone with a Mopar, stay safe on your journeys.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Words to live by.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
All I see in that diagram is proof that Makita and Hitachi are the best.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Makita 18v LXT cordless tools are pretty great. My only complaint is that the grinder drains even the 5Ah batteries superfast, but that's something all cordless grinders suffer from.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I'm getting the Forte back tonight.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Dagen H posted:

I take it the front bumper issue has been resolved?

Apparently, will find out tonight.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Dagen H posted:

I take it the front bumper issue has been resolved?

Turns out the answer is no. I got a call while I was driving down to pick it up, the front bumper only just came out of the booth and hasn't been installed or something. Trying again tomorrow.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I did not get my car back tonight.

I did get to see my car tonight.

The rental car company rented out the Accord within minutes of my arrival.

There are runs in the Forte's new(er) paint, sanding marks where it was feathered, the rear bumper is not fully attached to the valence, and the right rear tail light has a defect (that admittedly, is not the shop's fault, but they should've sent it back for another one). And the paint on the front bumper matches under about half of all possible lighting conditions.

I am now driving a rental Buick Verano.

:suicide:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Hi thread, are we all back to normal now?

We are? Good.

Have some pictures of the amazing work done on my car:

Apparently everything except the taillight was corrected in a matter of a couple of hours yesterday morning. So I suspect it's probably more hosed now but I won't find out until Wednesday night!

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 30, 2018

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

meatpimp posted:

They probably just sanded and polished. If you have access to a paint thickness meter, that'd be a huge benefit to you right now. If you don't, get one from Amazon and use it. Compare stock paint thickness from panels not painted to what was painted. Compare thicknesses throughout the damaged areas to see how thick the paint/filler is. Good luck.

Edit: Something like this. It's not surgical, but it'll get you some type of quantifiable information. https://www.amazon.com/allsun-EM227...thickness+meter

Paint thickness is one of my major concerns. Unfortunately I can't get a meter before Wednesday without spending $200. I live too far in the boonies.

E: I'm gonna ask at work tomorrow if we have one I can borrow or barring that there's a post office not terribly far from the body shop I might be able to get it from since Amazon will deliver there and they're open late.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 30, 2018

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

StormDrain posted:

Is there a New Years resolution thread? I forgot mine from last year.

Mine is to basically be more sociopathic. I gotta start looking out for number one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
e: nm, missed the play-by-play and see you got it activated.

ee: Don't use OO, use Google Docs, otherwise just splurg some of that "I make $100k/y with the gig economy" dosh and get an Office 365 sub.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Dec 31, 2018