Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Dagen H posted:

From the ad:

Nah.

No BS - sweet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Fo3 posted:

Giftcards are the worst.
"couldn't be hosed doing anything other than locking you into one shop that may have conditions of use".
It's worse than cash, and it's not really a gift. Just send cash or a proper thoughtful gift.
I have strong opinion on this because amazon is poo poo, plus I never bothered to cash in a gift card most times. $$$$ wasted by the people that bought them for me and now I wouldn't get anything decent for them ever. The few I used was to buy a gift for someone else next christmas I think.
I'm fussy and get what I want where I want and don't carry giftcards around everywhere with me so they are often forgotten (plus often not valid where I want to get something right now)

A gift card is the lamest thing ever. Shops that sell them suck, people that buy them are fools. Stick cash in a card or something jeez.
It's like treating your friends and family like hobos begging for money. "no, I won't give you cash because you'll use it for drugs/booze, but I'll bring you food/a blanket". Like "can't trust this person with cash they'll use it for blow and hookers" type poo poo and retailers feed on that and hope all the people you buy gift cards for never use them.

My mom gives or sends Chik-Fil-A or Cracker Barrel cards on every occasion you can think of. So if I am ever homeless I guess me and the kids can eat for a few months because while I have nothing against those places I just don't go to either of them more than once a year.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
OK, I finally got the title for the Majesta. I have it clean AF. I have everything working (including air suspension) EXCEPT for HUD (which I may just not know how to activate, it beeps but its the only thing all in Japanese) and the nagging thing the airbag light is on (idiot transport driver somehow triggered it pulling fuses like a dumbass).

Took it by local Toyota to see if they could clear the light and they told me unless it was in their computer they had no one who could even begin to know. Jesus.

Online says this era LS / Supra you can do some wire "dance" from a port on steering wheel to clear but that doesn't exist on this Japanese model. Anyone? I am about ready to just throw it up for sale and see what happens.

Oh and lastly I still don't know how to remove hood and trunk struts without damaging anything to replace. Their are no pins or clamps.

EDIT: why the F is the picture upside down

Only registered members can see post attachments!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I've read about that in the LS forums, but the consensus was it's not a good idea to do. I would just leave it be, or if the cluster is relatively easy to take out remove the bulb.

Not a good idea - why? Could fry something?

And probably not going to pull this if there is even a bulb to be pulled:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

angryrobots posted:

LMAO

Any code reader than can read body codes from that era Toyotas will probably retrieve/clear that airbag light code. Post a pic of the hood struts, they probably have c clips or something.

Toyota (here in town, which I like this dealership) brought the lead tech out and he said they got rid of all the old scanners, and anyways I have not found a "port" on this vehicle, doesn't mean one isn't there I just don't know where. On US models it is supposed to be on steering column.

New US LS replacement struts which I am guesstimating are correct have yes your standard C clips, this does not. Will try to get a pic later today.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeah pretty much, not worth the effort (it's a huge PITA) to possibly fry something for a stupid light. Just ignore it.

Advice taken and just the thing I needed to hear. Going to do a final detail and throw this thing on the interwebs by the weekend.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Drywall work is complete! We're ready to sand the rough spots and start cleaning so we can prime.

I mentioned before that we're going to be transitioning the trim to all white but I have zero experience properly prepping the wood for this, anyone have suggestions or not terrible tutorials? The paint claims that no prep is needed other than cleaning but I'd rather this not look like poo poo when we're finished.

I would just do one and see how it looks the next day (remember I talked about using good paint). I can't remember priming or sanding anything in rental houses except over oil based paints putting latex over it.

And also this car looks pretty ok:

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/pa19/auction/lots/r0022-1956-porsche-550-rs-spyder

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

STR posted:

Hey IT goons, what's the best balance between price and reliability (and cheap toner) for a wifi-equipped laser printer right now? Built in duplexing would be very nice, but isn't a deal breaker. Still Brother?

I need something compact with wifi, otherwise i'd buy an old tank of an HP.

I'm gonna be printing several hundred pages of poo poo in January (I want hard copies of all of my tax/business stuff for the year :corsair:). Plus I'm sick of feeding this stupid inkjet. I swear this fucker needs a new cartridge every 100 pages.

I have put so many Brothers in local offices and I’ve had random phone calls thanking me for it so do what you will (and buy generic toner)

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I just had a 2 pound bean roll before I go see 4-5 bands at an absolute dump. Worth it. (It’s something I’ve been doing 25 years nearly)

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

spog posted:

I met a colleague from Germany.

I mentioned the war.

This may have been a bad thing.

I mean when ya won what ya gonna do they know that poo poo

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Suburban Dad posted:

People say kids grow up so fast but I wish it was a bit faster at this point. :v:

I know it can be hard and frustrating but don't be like me, just wanting to "get it over with" late nights and early mornings. I would give anything to redo it so far, my whole life actually. Now I have an almost 9 year old and a 4 year old and I am trying to be there and experience and remember every moment.

Basically what I am saying is don't be like me and now divorced so I only have 50-75% of the time, I had a rough night up just regretting the times I skipped going to grandmas to work or to stay home and get some alone time. What a fool.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
What insurance offers and what you accept are two totally different things. They assume most people will just say OK. Be the greasy wheel.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

My ring was a perfect metaphor for my marriage. I asked for a smooth ring in white gold with a uniform design so I didn't have to orient it. What did I get? Yellow gold with deep, intricate grooves and 3 diamonds on one side. And it's not like I was shoving my opinion on her, she asked what I wanted and then did the exact opposite.

So I spent 10 years spinning it to orient the diamonds on top, and cleaning dirt and grease out of all the grooves. As I grew to hate the woman who gave it to me, I grew to hate that ring. And when we got divorced I threw the loving thing in the ocean.

Mine was just stainless steel after losing the titanium one somehow after leaving work (skinny jeans i guess it popped off in parking lot). I also threw mine in the ocean. Felt good.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

:same: but expensive. this year has been expensive.

Same. I have spent more than I even thought possible in 2018.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Cops should have never deployed spike strip in a res neighborhood that is against anything smart I know plenty of good cops.

We just got a 5 guys and I have nothing bad to say but the price. And I know some Wendy’s are not good but local one is and the $1.79 cb deluxe is something I only treat myself to every few months but ya gotta just eat it the second you get it

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
ex still refusing to go and get the Prius transferred, breathing down my neck for her alimony check, I have literally thousands of dollars of special orders at my store NO ONE WILL COME PICK UP AND PAY FOR (yes there were small deposits on everything) when I have communicated for weeks I leave to take the kids out of town tomorrow. No one will answer the phone or text. I am in a bad situation today

anyways merry Christmas to all goons sincerely, I hope everyone has a good one

EDIT: some people have paid, and one even gave me $50 extra and said it was a Christmas blessing, and I know ya'll hate this stuff but man I really needed something like that today

everdave fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

STR posted:

Went to visit parents, came home with an oldish laptop (2010?).

Still, free laptop is best laptop. Slapped a spare SSD in, trying to get a Win10 upgrade on it (I know most legit paths are shut down, trying one I suspect still works) - if I can't, I'm either stuck with Win7 or going to toss Linux on it. It's a Pentium T4400 w/4GB RAM, not exactly a powerhouse, and the battery is toasted (meh, :20bux: for a knockoff on Amazon), but it'll be nice to have a laptop again.

The kicker: it only has one RAM slot. Did they ever make 8GB DDR2 sticks, or did they max out at 4GB? It'd be nice to slap 8GB in, but I'm not having any luck with the googles.

Oh yeah. GF's doctor closed for the holidays, she ran out of her ADD meds, and her doctor has no emergency contact number. :argh: (it's also a schedule 2 drug, so none of this "hey pharmacist, I can't get ahold of my doctor, can you spot me a few?" stuff that works on non-controlled substances). I know amphetamine withdrawal isn't the end of the world, but hoooooooly poo poo she's bitchy. I guess the upside is she's sleeping a lot.

I have never seen 8gb ddr2 and I have had a computer shop for almost 7 years. Sometimes there is another slot under keyboard on those older laptops what model?