Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Some odd stuff was posted about Punisher on the last page there. For me the series was a disappointment, felt very formulaic TV and padded and dull. The ensemble cast cutting to different characters such as the boring cops, the slow rise of the boring villain, all cookie cutter to me.

And those posts mentioned, I feel like that's just not getting pulpy crime fiction. And attacking fans, really odd to me. It has nothing to do with real life tragedies in the news or Trump or something to enjoy and invest in an amoral/stylized pulpy tale.

Focusing on one guy who is dedicating his life to a war on crime, there is mileage there. It's a concept that can be compelling. And it works better without the formulaic trappings they went for last time. I want to see Frank unleashed and see what happens, and it could be quite entertaining, and many clever things can be done with this concept. So I hope season 2 actually has a bit more of Frank doing what he does, and more of a pulpy feel etc.

And Daredevil ruled, speaking of well done vigilante stories, too bad these shows are all ending. At least we'll always have the classics in the comics, and maybe another good run here or there.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Kai Tave posted:

Turns out "unhinged gun-nut goes around shooting people (largely minorities) because he thinks they deserve it" doesn't play as well these days for some weird reason.

Okay, well, Punisher fans are mostly pop culture fan types, comic readers, a lot of them liberal such as myself, I dont think the attacks made on the fans were accurate or appropriate. And the #1 group targeted by Frank over the years are Italians, and that's still okay in an action setting today.

I can see how violent outlandish street level story stuff wouldn't appeal to everyone, that's okay. But it's also okay to enjoy that, and I think artistically oddly enough there's merit to something more out there and in keeping with the character.

The rules are more like a Western movie, just an outlaw on the run righting wrongs and taking out bad guys as he sees fit. And of course there are a lot of things you can do with that to keep it interesting. A show focusing on a violent man on the edge, not going to appeal to everyone. That's fine. The pulpy noir John Woo cocktail is still a drat fine thing.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

All the Netflix shows could use better pacing and are a tad padded, I myself do find the ensemble cast dynamic fits Daredevil better, and overall found it the best myself. With JJ season 1 right up there.

And sure, there are ignorant or hateful people who like some pop fantasy stuff we like, maybe they like Star Wars too. A bit sweeping and lame to paint fans of vintage Punisher that way here in BSS though. We can handle weird stuff, we read comics.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Optimus Prime was in our military though.

It's cool that you liked it, to me it felt like something you'd see on TNT or USA. The focus on veterans I personally found not so well done, this kind of moral of the week stuff has been covered in similar beats in a lot of shows I've seen. And the plot arc of the season, how it played out, to me it felt cookie cutter. And I enjoy crime stories, stylized ones, sure violence is part of it, but just action isnt what I dig about it. But while explaining my ideal Punisher show is cool, I mostly was just appalled and felt like chiming in to defend fans of violent crazy stories. Think Casey Jones and Raphael the turtle.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 2, 2018

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Saying a TV show is formulaic is bad, saying somebody you're talking with's opinion is boring... is good? We've both taken in a ton of media I'm sure, I found say True Detective s1 to be sublime and masterful etc. I didn't happen to dig this season on TV, it's cool that you dug it, but sharing our perspectives is the goal here, ideally while being excellent to eachother.

And formulaic wasn't referring to the focus on veterans, that was about how the show was put together and structured. I did find that aspect for me wasn't done that well, sure. Especially that one guy (hole digging fellow), there have been many a TV episode dedicated to a character like that. Likable vet who does bad stuff and we feel bad etc. And it's cool if you dug it, hey pun intended. My ideal Punisher show isn't all about action, but him for example going about his war on crime, findings ways to take down the crime syndicates etc, or trying to, and various interesting characters and weird stuff that could happen. And of course pathos since this guy is on a mission that can only end one way, and has nothing else to live for etc. And the previous page was a bit unwelcoming towards Punisher fans, or at least a couple posts, which was my point here, more so than critiquing the show.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Dec 2, 2018

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

site posted:

the only two posts about punisher on that last page specifically pointed out which segment of the fanbase they were talking about, so unless you're a part of that segment i'm not sure what there is to get offended by

i guess it may just be me, but being the only comic property that ends with the main character rejecting vigilantism to attempt a return to normalcy seems kinda not by the book either

I didn't say I was offended, I said appalled. And the second post did say they hate Punisher and the culture around it etc, I get it's not saying literally every fan and aimed at me in particular, but it does to me show a kind of direct way of critiquing art/entertainment that I don't quite dig. Plus in general suggesting that Punisher as is wasn't something that would be good, or what have you, when I myself do think it would be good, so I'm chiming in there. And hey, it's cool that you liked the show.

(editor's note: I'm not really appalled, posters from previous page, it's all good, I'm just ranting about funnyman Frank Castle here and how he's a great guy)

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Dec 2, 2018

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

SonicRulez posted:

I don't think anybody is trying to hurt your feelings, but I also think nobody is in the mood to see the honor of the WORST Punisher fans be defended. The character I expected isn't the one I got and the series was better for it.

We're looking at it differently pretty much. I'm pointing out that I like the genre and I don't think you're a capital worst fan if you like pulpy violent noir and John Woo etc influenced type of stuff. Honorable stoic bloodshed whatever you call it, it can be a good story. I think that character would work as is, DD season 2 did pretty well. I'm not defending every person on Earth with a Punisher shirt, just saying I think being against this kind of story because you think it caters to particular people you don't like, well, that's where we disconnect here.

For example, going way way back, people who don't like stuff like Dirty Harry or Death Wish. Because they say it's right wing fantasy. And whether you agree it is or isn't, there's a lot of stuff inspired by that influential art/entertainment in all mediums, a lot of it by liberal pacifists. I mentioned western movies earlier, and part of what's cool about Dirty Harry was it put that style of movie into a contemporary setting, and it worked. Writing out there stuff where a compelling antihero does things that are bad, that can be okay. Just like it's okay to find Jason Vorhees and Freddy Kreuger entertaining, we're not saying hey go out and kill people. But in general either way, I don't agree with this mood as you put it, like there's something so awful and harmful about The Punisher. If somebody is going to be negatively influenced by a piece of entertainment, well, this has been talked about a lot in the video game area, but that person has other problems than the entertainment they're taking in. I think art can be a lot more weird, not immediately obvious that it's responsible or moral etc, more room to breath. But anyway, we're talking about Marvel's The Punisher.

It is in most of it's run pretty much a superhero thing by association and publisher only, and the various cameos and crossovers. I know now in the comics Frank is after "big game", which usually to me feels a bit less interesting, fighting the superheroes etc. It's a violent pulpy crime story, not something superhero fans will all dig. So I can see why Punisher is a controversial figure in this thread I guess, I just myself don't think it needs to be, not inherently.

And speaking of John Wick, mentioned above, that movie rules. There's a fun movie series about hitmen, criminals, underworld honor, violence, all that good stuff. I guess Punisher needs a better PR guy on these forums or something, so he can get that Wick love. And hey, Wick deserves it, but he's not a saint himself either. Antiheroes can be fun to work with and worthwhile.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 2, 2018

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I disagree there. On paper he's as good as any other tragic avenger, if you like the genre and style of story he's in, you like it. You can play with the conventions, but I myself don't think only ones that subvert them are good, since I like that genre.

site posted:

typing this 8 inches away from my full run of Ennis' punisher yeeeah this what about me real fan woe is me thing just isnt winning me over and tbh your constant inability to acknowledge the criticism in any meaningful way (you're comparing this to supernatural horror movie characters?? really?) is making my fash spidey-sense tingle more than a little

I pointed out I'm liberal in the first post, and I'm a pacifist too. But it's not surprising we have this disconnect, considering the hostility in your posts so far. That you even make these leaps just underlines what I'm saying. Why is it I can post some in depth thoughts on a thing, and you just keep aiming misplaced accusations? This is not proper, site. And you keep going back to this thing that I've explained is specifically not what I'm talking about, if you don't understand how we're talking about more than fascists mentioned in one post, I don't know what to tell you.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 3, 2018

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Ojjeorago posted:

It's only page two, could you at least wait a while longer to threadshit?

It's a good post. Maybe not your thing, but it's the real deal.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

X-O posted:

If you want to post about the Punisher TV show please post in the TV thread. If you want to keep having whatever dumb argument this is please don't post anywhere.

As a mod, why do you allow the charged accusations and other such terrible posting in here?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

X-O posted:

As a user why do you make bad posts?

That doesn't help. I'm just not into that style of posting, I don't insult people, I talk about stuff. If people were less at eachother's throats about something as not serious as this Marvel character, it would solve a lot of problems.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I do look forward to Captain Marvel, and I love Sam Jackson. He was in Do The Right Thing, he sure gets around.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm following the rules, won't continue that, I touched a messy topic and rambled a lot.

I'll say, not touching on that topic, honestly my favorite comic is Judge Dredd. I love satire on fascism and politics, and I love stuff like Parker and other criminal stories, I'm good with authority being painted in a bad light or being a villain. I look for certain things from different stories, I feel like a lot can be extrapolated from sharing one specific opinion on something, it can be a bit of a quagmire to cover every angle.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Just saw Into the Spider-Verse, you were right folks, excellent movie. Really impressively done all around, very very cool. "I am a man"

I also noticed anime legend Lex Lang in the credits, that guy has been in everything.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Chud skulls are extra thick though, they interfere with understanding and reason so in a way they really are the enemy.

I've said it before, but coopting the term CHUD to be an online right burn thing just doesn't wash, Bosch. (That's a quote from C.H.U.D.)

I do think mixing shape shifting aliens and cannibalistic humanoid underground dwellers could make for a fun plot, that's what I'm about. I love CHUD, and I'm no "chud", unless it means something cool.

Oh yeah, Captain Marvel, I came to post about that. Very good fun movie, I liked how it was "low stakes" (at least for the most part), and didn't have a conventional origin first act. Just kind of felt like a good humble respectable and clever flick. Which is a thumbs up from me.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I agree it owns, I can see why it didn't do it for everyone though. But the imdb number is lower than I expected. It's kind of low-key for a lot of it, offbeat, quirky in subtle ways, doesn't feel like a big or important story etc. I just like all that. I can see how it wouldn't click for some. I do like how they mix things up. I even liked how Spider-Man: Homecoming didn't do an origin. In general I think they realize that we've seen similar takes on origin stories way too many times, and it's okay to just drop us in and get to know characters in other ways. (Though Spiderverse owned)

Also I had just rewatched Commando the day prior, so the ending fight really delighted me. Pretty drat funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

For sure, I don't really myself. My all time favorite movie is a hair lower on imdb than that. (Repo Man)