Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

I loving hate when toy lines give away the plot of upcoming films

At last, a stand out Jewish superhero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Watched Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse and really enjoyed it. I wasn't a fan of the art style when I saw the first trailer but by the time I watched the film it had grown on me. They told the story liked the spiders they selected for the story it never felt slow or bloated. Also enjoyed the spiders they choose for the story. Good stinger.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Fangz posted:

The Stan Lee cameo was really well done and made me cry twice. :unsmith:

Yeah

Miles buying a fancy dress Spider-Man costume "What if it doesn't fit?"
Lee "It always does, eventually."

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Forgot I had tickets for this tonight, so thanks for that.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

zoux posted:

Enjoy the Nickelback concert.

Thanks, it was good. I'd enjoyed Deadpool 2 anyway so odds were I was going to enjoy this. They had a Stan Lee stinger was right in the feels.

EDIT: I did completely forget about the scene where Cable is applying lip balm while staring at Deadpool and says "you remind me of my wife."

bessantj fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 12, 2018

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Argue posted:

Tell us more about the stinger because I'm not gonna watch Deadpool 2 a second time and also it's not showing here.

It starts out with Lee recording some cameo scenes. Then it moves to footage from an interview where Lee talks about creating the characters and stories, then he says he'd like to be remembered for writing some good stories but when he's dead it won't matter to him.

zoux posted:

Did they bleep out the cusses or record new dialog

Some of it was bleeped out and there was some new recorded dialogue. Though most of the bleeping was from one scene between Deadpool and Fred Savage.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Watched Aquaman. It really needed a rewrite, there are some really sudden tonal changes and it goes on for far too long trying to cram too much in. It's like they decided that GOTG and Thor: Ragnarok was what everyone loves about superhero movies so Aquaman will have elements of both including a mix of the music. Apart from that it was alright. An upgrade from Batman v Superman and Justice League. I think I liked Wonder Woman better but this film was a step in the right direction.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Will we be talking about Bumblebee in this thread? It's amazing to watch a non Bay directed Transformers film.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Veotax posted:

How is it? I liked the look of the trailers. I was going to watch that and Aquaman on Sunday but the showing of Bumblebee I was going for got cancelled and I couldn't be bothered to hang around for two hours for the next one.

I thought it was alright. It's better than the Bay Transformers, very much aimed at a young audience so the script is written for that. The acting is good and it's refreshing to see a female lead that isn't draped over a vehicle and the camera isn't trying to get inside her. The action is a lot better as well, easy to follow and makes sense when the transformers are throwing each other around.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

I liked how they used Bumblebee's size in the fights. He's so much smaller than the Decepticons, that they constantly have him doing things like going for knees and using the environment to compensate.

Yeah, they made Bumblebee look like he actually was a soldier that had been involved in a war so knew a little about compensating for his size. Also good lack of military fetishism.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Spider-Man trailer looks great. I can't remember but did he have any 'spider sense' in Civil War, Homecoming or Infinity War?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Fangz posted:

Infinity war yes, it was in the trailers.

Ah thanks, I think I remember it now.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is anyone really that surprised after Apocalypse, the movie that intentionally left its only redeeming scene on the editing room floor?

Oh, what scene was that? Apocalypse was such a disappointment.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Must have been some galaxy brain who decided to cut that scene.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

The kids in the mall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7rfP7dYEak

How can you have a movie set in the 80s with teens in it and doesn't have a scene in a mall? Though even that is missing the shot of the Dazzler album. But as soon as I saw Dark Phoenix was just going to be a remake of Last Stand shows that Fox has zero idea why that the Jean as Phoenix story is considered one of the best X-men stories, let along one of the best comic stories ever made. I've always felt they are afraid to step outside of what was set down in the first X-men movies.

On second viewing of that scene I noticed the 'M Day Special Sale' poster. Would be cool if Disney could manage to get everyone together and do an M Day film.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

David D. Davidson posted:

Honestly I'm hoping they let him produce all their X-men movies, it's clear he loves the material and wants to see them done right.

I hope they let him do an X-Force movie.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Has Brie Larson said that men shouldn't watch Captain Marvel?

Best reaction to a film I've experienced was watching World War Z, in Cardiff. Cardiff never gets mentioned in films so when Pitt said "We're going to Cardiff." for the first time it got laughter/WTF type reactions. The second time it got full laughter and a good round of ironic applause with a small group chanting 'Cardiff, Cardiff'.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

That explains it, there is no ego as fragile as the white male.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

The dude doing the voice of Tombstone (is it?) is that the same man who plays Tobias Whale in Black Lightning?

Phylodox posted:

Endgame after credits scene: slowly zoom in on some rubble. Amongst it, we see the space stone. It flares to life, opening a wildly swirling portal. Cut to a low angle as a red booted foot steps through. Pan up, over the iconic S-shield until we come to rest on Henry Cavill’s face, frowning slightly as he takes in this strange new world.

His moustache is glorious.

Or gold boots and a radiation logo but still a glorious mustache.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah, that's Krondon.

Cool, I think he's a good actor, I like him in Black Lightning.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Just come back from watching captain Marvel and enjoyed it. Thought Larson and Jackson had good chemistry. I was glad they gave the Skrulls some personality rather than make them a mindless army like the Chitauri. Plenty of fun in there, if you haven't seen it you should go watch it.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

My theater won't sell booze at 11 am.

Also known as the most bullshit ever.

Cowards.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

X-O posted:

Let's see how well the "Stick it to those SJW Libs!" plan worked for the little Alita Challenge this weekend.

Captain Marvel: $160 million
Alita: $3.2 million

Another Right Wing success story for sure.

Was that an actual thing? I thought this thread was having a laugh.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

X-O posted:

Yes, they don't want to give Evil SJW Disney their money for a movie that pushes women and diversity so instead they want you to see a movie that pushes women and diversity that... oh look at that, in a month or so will belong to Evil SJW Disney.

They're not fuckin' geniuses you know?

It's an odd one. but I'm kind of glad they're doing it (if they actually are) because I want a second Alita film and Captain Marvel is going to make enough money to keep Disney's head frozen till doomsday anyway.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

X-O posted:

I mean if we're being real the organizers of this stupid poo poo only picked Alita as the movie not to promote it in any way but to preemptively stave off any accusations of sexism that would be thrown their way if they'd just done a straight up boycott.

Plus they don't want a film that's too 'talky'

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

Red Letter Media's Captain Marvel review is up and they spend like 70% of the thing trying to expose some supposed hypocrisy of Brie Larson instead of talking about the movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pQNYeOEFJc

20 minutes to get to the actual review. That's a real dumpster fire of a video. Anyway, now to read the comments... Oh god, no.

Kai Tave posted:

Remind me again why anyone likes Red Letter Media.

I like them because they're funny. They're quite knowledgeable about film and the film making process. And I don't think they take themselves too seriously.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

They don't appear to care very much for the theater experience these days, and it certainly comes off as a chore they're subjecting themselves to.

Mike seems to nearly always complain about the cinema these days.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I liked how low key the trailer was, giving you some tasty little snippets.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Saw Captain Marvel again last night, this time with a UK audience. I know we’ve discussed American audiences vs British audiences before, but none of the jokes elicited more than a chuckle from these people until the first Flerken death squid scene. Sitting with a largely apathetic crowd kinda took me out of the movie.

What befuddles me is that I saw The Force Awakens in that same theater 4 years ago and the crowd was definitely into it. Is the MCU just not a big crowd pleaser in the UK?

They usually do well, whenever I've gone to see one the theater is well populated.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

X-O posted:

Actually the spin is that the reason it's making so much money is that Disney is buying up tickets to shows across the country and there are sold out shows where nobody's in the theater. Sounds plausible to me!

That's how Disney is so rich. I'm going to open a store and just buy all my own stock, massive riches baby!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I just rewatched Batman v Superman and had completely forgotten how whiny Batman is. But I really enjoyed the final fight after Wonder Woman turned up.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Davros1 posted:

The opening monologue is so unintentionally hilarious. You know when the writer came up with the line "A beautiful lie", they sat back in their chair and thought "nailed it".

As others have said I think the writer thought that about his writing a lot. Also Jesse Eisenberg playing Lex with a brain injury.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Just saw The Lego Batman Movie for the first time. That's a fun movie!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

While that sucks because Shuri is cool, it would mean the supposed insider Reddit leaks that sounded like a terrible movie are fake so... small yay?

Just how bad was it?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

There was Kang and a Mjolnir gauntlet.

That does sound terrible.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Wong did nothing er... incorrect.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Just come back from watching Shazam, I enjoyed it it's was a really fun movie.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Is Henry Cavill fully done with being Superman?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

It isn't really clear. Answer is most likely yes but not 100% confirmed.

Rhyno posted:

Nobody knows.

That's what I thought, After watching Shazam I'm wondering what they plan to do re: Justice League 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

Guys holy poo poo, Shazam is loving great. It's so much goddamn fun and I loved it. Also, as a Philadelphian, I just want to say that yes, it 100% tracks that if we ever got a superhero he'd be sort of a weirdo scumbag. And I guess DC just had to try every other stupid idea before finally trying out just making really fun solo movies and building a universe off that, because right now I would actually be totally cool with buying a Justice League ticket if you promised me Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Shazam hanging out, and I don't give a poo poo who they end up fighting, it can be dumbass Steppenwulf again, I just want to see that team-up.

No seriously don't read this part until you watch the movie:
I figured we were getting it once I saw them for a split second in the trailers, but holy poo poo, the full Marvel Family from the Johns reboot rules when they show up. Super Darla for Justice League chairwoman, please. And I guess there are side benefits to this hosed-up impossible hell timeline we're all stuck in, because I just saw goddamn motherfucking evil caterpillar Mr. Mind talking through a tiny radio box around his neck in an actual goddamn movie, what a goddamn world sometimes.

I hadn't read any Captain Marvel/Shazam, only knowing about him through the cartoons, but really liked the film. After doing some wiki reading I'm really interested in a sequel and an appearance of Black Adam. Also a second Justice league movie because of the appearance of Superman in the credits!