Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/JHickman/status/1072204883703554049

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

https://twitter.com/zdarsky/status/1072234362551324672

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

I can't unsee it

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/Comixace/status/1072524030815715330?s=19

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Just sold about a quarter of my collection (trades and omnis). Took a big hit but it beats listing everything on eBay. Feels good to purge. LCBS won't take omnibus so Powell's got em. The employees enjoyed going through them so it was kinda fun. I have a lot less separation anxiety than I thought I would. I partially credit the AUG thread for motivating me.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

sporklift posted:

Just sold about a quarter of my collection (trades and omnis). Took a big hit but it beats listing everything on eBay. Feels good to purge. LCBS won't take omnibus so Powell's got em. The employees enjoyed going through them so it was kinda fun. I have a lot less separation anxiety than I thought I would. I partially credit the AUG thread for motivating me.

Even though I purged my collection several times over the years, my wife and I are moving to a smaller place so I had to purge even more. This one sucks a bit more because now I am going into a few deep cuts to get rid of (basically comics I read as a kid til the covers fell off).
I don't really wanna bother with selling them on ebay or getting a negligible price on my stuff so I usually donate them to a youth drop in clinic. I also hear that in the states there is a place where you can donate them to troops serving overseas.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

sporklift posted:

I sold almost all my singles a few months ago and it was very freeing.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I am in the same boat with my single issues. They are basically worth nothing but I get a nostalgia punch to the gut when I go through them and usually end up reading a few.

I might end up donating them to the library's thrift store. Maybe find an artist friend who could make a collage?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Moore on a moon

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Moore on a moon

The mysterious secret identity of Mac Tonight.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
loving Lol.

https://twitter.com/mrmarkmillar/status/1072503636209688576?s=19

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Moore on a moon

Go home Tingle, you're drunk

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hickman reveals his secret origin!
https://twitter.com/GWillowWilson/status/1072947572019318785

https://twitter.com/GWillowWilson/status/1072949415332143104

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Kieron Gillen must be stopped.

https://twitter.com/kierongillen/status/1072997878732390402?s=19

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

If by stopped you mean an unlimited Hollywood budget, yes.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Y'all my girlfriend's coworker is recently and suddenly unemployed and deep enough in debt that homelessness is a real threat. It's two weeks before Christmas in cold rear end Syracuse new York, theyve recently come out as trans and started transitioning and just lost their access to healthcare, poo poo just absolutely sucks. If any of you can afford to chip in to this it's appreciated, if not, just signal boost it. I'm trying to help out a cool lady who needs it, who would help me if I needed it. Thanks. https://www.gofundme.com/fm4g7-support-a-sister-in-need

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

What the gently caress kind of magic word is Rgbahza?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Stupid idea. How can a pyramid bite someone?!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Halloween Jack posted:

Stupid idea. How can a pyramid bite someone?!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Does anyone read comics on a Surface Pro? I see there's no Comixology Windows app anymore which is a bummer.
To follow up on this: I went ahead and got one since Micro Center has a good price in-store ($100 cheaper than anywhere else), and I have until mid-January to return if I really don't like it. And so far...I think I'm going to end up taking that option. It's a nice enough device, but I think it's not quite what I want. The idea of not having both a laptop and a tablet (that is used almost exclusively for comics reading at home, but also is my travel computer unless I need a real computer for work or something) appealed to me. No Comixology app means I can't load it up with a bunch of comics before leaving for offline reading - other than the publishers that have DRM-free backups, there's no way to download comics (this is, of course, the fault of publishers insisting on DRM, but that's not a problem I can really solve), so they have to be read online with an internet connection, which for anyone who has been in an airport or on a plane, can be less than ideal at times. It does appear to displaying the HD versions of comics, though, so that's good, at least. I did go ahead and download a comic and tried it on Comics++ (mostly because it was the first thing that showed up on the Microsoft Store that seemed to do what I want), and it seems okay, but a pain the rear end to download stuff to use there. The app itself seems okay and looks to work similarly to the iPad Comixology app, minus the Guided View stuff. The screen on this is a bit smaller than the iPad Pro I was trying to replace, and the aspect ratio is not as good for reading two pages at once, so comics are a little smaller. Not a huge deal, but worth noting.

As a device, it's quite nice, though. I would certainly recommend it to anyone looking for a Windows device, but I'm not sure it's *quite* what I want, and Windows, as a platform, isn't quite there as far as reading comics (though I'm sure it is vastly better than iOS for people with lots of legally-acquired CBZs).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Doesn't Amazon own comixology now? Is there a Kindle app for Windows you can use?

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Skwirl posted:

Doesn't Amazon own comixology now? Is there a Kindle app for Windows you can use?

Kindle stuff usually also unlocks on Comixology but unless something's changed, I don't think it goes the other way.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

joehonkie posted:

Kindle stuff usually also unlocks on Comixology but unless something's changed, I don't think it goes the other way.

Yeah, this is the case. In researching before buy, the "solution" seems to be to install an Android emulator, install the Android Comixology app on that, and use it. I tried this on my desktop, and it refuses to let me view two pages at once, but there might be a setting I needed to gently caress with, so I might play with that some more, but it's still really dumb.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/kierongillen/status/1073588563525144577?s=19

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/chaeronaea/status/1073839351287726080

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

God, he even made a furry version of Frida Kahlo.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Today was my birthday and my brother got me a gift card for a bookshop. I'm thinking about getting the fifth Usagi Yojimbo Saga book, but there's also that Usagi Yojimbo Saga Legends book which has Space Usagi an stuff like that, or the one that has all of the Usagi/Turtles crossovers. Are either of them especially worthwhile or should I stick with the main series one?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
happy birthday :cheers:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Today was my birthday and my brother got me a gift card for a bookshop. I'm thinking about getting the fifth Usagi Yojimbo Saga book, but there's also that Usagi Yojimbo Saga Legends book which has Space Usagi an stuff like that, or the one that has all of the Usagi/Turtles crossovers. Are either of them especially worthwhile or should I stick with the main series one?

Space Usagi is okay, but it's a big step down from the regular series which is consistently excellent. Yokai, which is also in the Legends volume, is excellent but pretty slight. I'd say stick to the main series until you run out and then because you're still going to want more then get the Legends volume.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ohhhhh, poo poo, I think Legends also has Senso, which is the one where Usagi fights some H.G. Wells Martians with a giant robot version of himself. I'm pretty torn...

Edit: Of course the other wrinkle is that when I was in HMV the other day I saw this lovely vinyl of Rory Gallagher's Irish Tour '74... :v:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 16, 2018

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Wheat Loaf posted:

I am jealous that you are getting the series in saga format. I already had like 18 books before they were announced.

I'd stick to the main series to be honest. The legends stories are all good (because all Usagi Yojimbo is good) but book 5 leads to book 6 which has one of the best recentish stories in. I'd only recommend the UY/TMNT book if you have everything else, and i'm a big TMNT fan.

I need to do a reread soon come to think of it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrFlibble posted:

I am jealous that you are getting the series in saga format. I already had like 18 books before they were announced.

I had the ones that covered the Fantagraphics era (though I still got that big two-volume slipcase set Fantagraphics did when it came out a few years ago) but never thought it was worth continuing because the Dark Horse ones were incredibly spotty in terms of availability. Most of them could only be had used at some exorbitant price.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Here's a cute little bit of kismit.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrfdDaTHoYZ/?utm_source=ig_twitter_share&igshid=wi9odf922p6v

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bendis looks like Anakin Skywalker

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hearing about Bendis' close relationships with other comic creators while he was sick last year was really heartwarming.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
The comic shop that I have been going to for nearly 20 years will be closing down in the next few weeks. It sucks but I have slowly been transitioning to a new shop over the months. The reason for the closing is that the original owner of the store passed away and his wife took over. There were two guys who ran the store since the 1980's and the offered to buy the store from the wife but she refused in the thoughts that she could get a better price for the store. She really had no interest in owning the store, nor cared about it whatsoever.
A month ago the TV show Deadly Class filmed some scenes at the store (when the show comes out next year you can see what the store looked like) and they paid roughly 30 grand to film there. The idea was that the wife would take a percentage of that amount and put the rest back into the store. For weeks before the filming the store was unable to get new stock because they couldn't make the payments and without new stock you don't get the money to pay for new stock etc. She took the full 30 grand and didn't put any of it back into the store. The studio was going to film some more scenes at the store and basically forced her to pay the rent of the place before they agreed to pay to use the shop (if the rent wasn't paid the landlords could prevent the studio from filming there). Yes, they had to force her to pay the rent.
So with months now of no new stock to sell and no money going into the store, it will be finally closing up shop. One of the managers has been offered a job at another comic shop (kind of let us help you out gesture) and the other has taken on a new job elsewhere.
Sadly it feels like an end of era, and it is quite sad to see it happening

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Madkal posted:

The comic shop that I have been going to for nearly 20 years will be closing down in the next few weeks. It sucks but I have slowly been transitioning to a new shop over the months. The reason for the closing is that the original owner of the store passed away and his wife took over. There were two guys who ran the store since the 1980's and the offered to buy the store from the wife but she refused in the thoughts that she could get a better price for the store. She really had no interest in owning the store, nor cared about it whatsoever.
A month ago the TV show Deadly Class filmed some scenes at the store (when the show comes out next year you can see what the store looked like) and they paid roughly 30 grand to film there. The idea was that the wife would take a percentage of that amount and put the rest back into the store. For weeks before the filming the store was unable to get new stock because they couldn't make the payments and without new stock you don't get the money to pay for new stock etc. She took the full 30 grand and didn't put any of it back into the store. The studio was going to film some more scenes at the store and basically forced her to pay the rent of the place before they agreed to pay to use the shop (if the rent wasn't paid the landlords could prevent the studio from filming there). Yes, they had to force her to pay the rent.
So with months now of no new stock to sell and no money going into the store, it will be finally closing up shop. One of the managers has been offered a job at another comic shop (kind of let us help you out gesture) and the other has taken on a new job elsewhere.

To join the "my childhood store is closing" party, I learned that mine is closing next week too. It's just one branch of a chain but that chain is down to one store. It's part of a prolific brand too (Mile High Comics) so I think there's a lot of contraction happening right now in the market. It's really sad seeing it go because that particular store has been there since I can remember some 20-30 years ago at least. I left the area a year ago but kept up with store news.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Wheat Loaf posted:

I had the ones that covered the Fantagraphics era (though I still got that big two-volume slipcase set Fantagraphics did when it came out a few years ago) but never thought it was worth continuing because the Dark Horse ones were incredibly spotty in terms of availability. Most of them could only be had used at some exorbitant price.

I also have the two volume slipcase :D - it's pretty awesome (my original set comprises of a wider thinner book 1 and a hardback book 6 in amongst the standard size)

I did have to go to ebay and various other resellers to complete my collection but I never ended up spending more than around £15 a book which isn't bad (not as cheap as the saga books though). Its the only comic series that I have every story for - its remained consistently entertaining.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Madkal posted:

I read about that earlier today. It did feel like one of the last old school shops, but I never felt it was too creepy like some got. Golden age seems kind of of plasticky and Funko filled in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Good news for the best ninja turtle:

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1074859218749005824