Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I like Scrooged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Then every Christmas Day I watch Mickey's Christmas Carol.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The best Christmas cartoon is Gundam 0080

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUn7KgXhwwI

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 24, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I also remain a big fan of the original Peanuts Christmas special.

One year it was shown in its entirety at the Christmas service I was attending and honestly we didn't need the minister to give "a few comments" (45 MINUTES IS NOT "A FEW COMMENTS") because he basically repeated it except in a much more boring way.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Wheat Loaf posted:

Then every Christmas Day I watch Mickey's Christmas Carol.

Tbh im not sure what in gonna do tomorrow besides family dinner

Gripweed posted:

The Night Witches are portrayed as obedient goons who immediately turn on Star and Supergirl when ordered. It's a really lovely thing to do to actual heroes in a silly comic book. Especially because it would've worked better to have the Night Witches only pretend to try to kill the superheroes in order to help them escape. The way it's done just presents Supergirl and Stargirl as the only Soviet citizens capable of independent thought.

Eh, i mean i guess if the witches had any story or characterization at all before the accident scene that mightve worked. But they didnt so im not gonna bent out of shape over it.

In the context of the story the sisters show up and like the next page one of them is doing super stuff so theres not really any "earned" loyalty between the sisters and the rest of the squadron imo when their squadron leader accuses them of being spies. And the last part feels like a stretch to me cuz the rest of the squadron doesnt know that its a soviet gulag, the only reason the sisters know is because they go down on the ground and talk to the people before the attack and realize who they really are, and shockingly their commanders lied to them

site fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 24, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

I like Scrooged.

You're basically the only one.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

site posted:

Tbh im not sure what in gonna do tomorrow besides family dinner

We have a lot of semi-uninvited guests showing up this year. I say "semi" because none of us actually know who any of these people are, they're being towed in by our cousins and my mother didn't really want to let them come but was too polite to refuse them.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Rhyno posted:

The hell's a tankie?

Usually someone who defends Stalin or Mao but thriugh the magic of twitter it basically means someone I don’t like who leans left.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Wheat Loaf posted:

We have a lot of semi-uninvited guests showing up this year. I say "semi" because none of us actually know who any of these people are, they're being towed in by our cousins and my mother didn't really want to let them come but was too polite to refuse them.

Yikes

Stick em at the kids table

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lol that dumb liberals have taken to throwing tankie around as an insult.

Doesn’t even make sense

Share with us how the Soviet Union was right to send tanks into countries to supress democratic uprisings?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

NK tankies are my favorite.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

You're basically the only one.

Bill Murray likes it!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

Bill Murray likes it!

quote:

In one scene, Kane is supposed to grab Murray’s lip. Which she did—a little too well. “There's a piece of skin that connects your lip with your gums and it was really pulled away,” Murray explained of the scene to Starlog. “She really hurt me, but it was my idea to be physical and it was her idea just to hit me as opposed to pulling the punches.” Filming had to cease temporarily while Murray healed from the incident.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 24, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nothing there says he wasnt in to that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like Scrooged. I thought most people did. :shrug:

Fun fact: it was Murray's big return to movies after his four-year hiatus post-Ghostbusters. That's pretty weird to think about from a 2018 perspective and no doubt was in 1988 as well: an A-list star headlines the biggest movie of the year and then he just doesn't make any more movies at all for the next four years after it. It was also Donner's first movie after Lethal Weapon, which no doubt would make for an interesting Christmas double feature. :v:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Madkal posted:

Share with us how the Soviet Union was right to send tanks into countries to supress democratic uprisings?

See this basically exactly what I was talking about. Literally no one defended that but it randomly came out for no reason.

Usually it’s Ukraine tho so points for adding your own spin I guess

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
getting mad at improper use of slang to denounce war crimes

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Samuringa posted:

Look at this right wing liberal honky homophobe not caring about precision of language!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Samuringa posted:

Tankie has nothing to do with war crimes or denouncing them. It’s a political affiliation more than anything like liberal or conservative.

Which are both positions that celebrate war crimes as well.

Like a tankie will call themselves a tankie no shame

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 25, 2018

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
My brother gave my wife and I passes for axe-throwing lessons so I guess I'm leaning hard into being a certain kind of lesbian. Anyway the 1964 Rod Serling teleplay A Carol For Another Christmas is not good necessarily good but I have a soft spot for it, and Peter Sellers gives a brief but bravura (and nowadays uncannily timely) performance as a libertarian demagogue in the Christmas Future segment.

Also, tankie is a perfectly fine term, although I think its semantic drift is understandable and worth noting. It can for sure be used as a petty and more or less meaningless snowball hurled in inter-left sniping-- god knows that's how I mostly used it as a young ivory tower prick in 2011 or whenever!!-- but that doesn't invalidate it entirely. In the context of this discussion-- ie. how a comic portrayed the relative good or ill of the Soviet Union-- it's absolutely not out of left field.

Maybe this would be cleared up if somebody posted the pages in question? I dunno.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Archyduchess posted:

My brother gave my wife and I passes for axe-throwing lessons so I guess I'm leaning hard into being a certain kind of lesbian.
We had a new axe-throwing establishment open up here, and I really want to try it. Couldn't interest my wife or any co-workers, so I hope to go solo while I'm off work for the next two weeks. I really enjoyed the one time a student invited me to an archery range, except he didn't get why I would growl "YOU HAVE FAILED THIS CITY!" every time I took a shot.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Merry Christmas to all

Vincent posted:

Being that 'tis the season again (and that we don't have a photoshop thread now) here you guys go.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Archyduchess posted:

My brother gave my wife and I passes for axe-throwing lessons so I guess I'm leaning hard into being a certain kind of lesbian. Anyway the 1964 Rod Serling teleplay A Carol For Another Christmas is not good necessarily good but I have a soft spot for it, and Peter Sellers gives a brief but bravura (and nowadays uncannily timely) performance as a libertarian demagogue in the Christmas Future segment.

Also, tankie is a perfectly fine term, although I think its semantic drift is understandable and worth noting. It can for sure be used as a petty and more or less meaningless snowball hurled in inter-left sniping-- god knows that's how I mostly used it as a young ivory tower prick in 2011 or whenever!!-- but that doesn't invalidate it entirely. In the context of this discussion-- ie. how a comic portrayed the relative good or ill of the Soviet Union-- it's absolutely not out of left field.

Maybe this would be cleared up if somebody posted the pages in question? I dunno.

pictured: archy

it's spread out over four issues with the way the series is designed so im just gonna link imgur galleries to the pages that feature the night witches. i hope they all uploaded cuz my connection is poo poo and i dont wanna do that again lol

issue 3
issue 5
issue 10
issue 15

anyways, hopefully this all will explain why i think the idea that the night witches as a squadron are portrayed as obedient goon villains is kinda silly

site fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Dec 25, 2018

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Hey gang, what's the best website to order physical monthly comics from if you're in Canada?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Merry Christmas everybody

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

So goddamn good.

Merry Christmas goons.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
just a few minutes ago i was like oh no i forgot its comics day, but like only five books total came out today lol

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I'm moving at the end of this month and had several dozen or so graphic novels and while being way to pack they weigh a loving lot. Anyone have any tips about packing graphic novels to save space, with less and be ready to transport?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Madkal posted:

I'm moving at the end of this month and had several dozen or so graphic novels and while being way to pack they weigh a loving lot. Anyone have any tips about packing graphic novels to save space, with less and be ready to transport?

Go digital.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

I'm moving in that direction but I have a lot of graphic novels that I am attached to.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Buy cube boxes and only cube boxes for them. You can fit a bunch in each without the box getting too heavy.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

There's a good scene in that anime about the skeleton who works at a bookstore where one of his coworkers tries to help him stock the American comics section and almost throws her back out because American comics are so unexpectedly heavy compared to manga

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hit up your local comic shop for diamond boxes.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Ramon Villalobos has been watching old Woodstock '99 footage on youtube for the past 4 hours and it's kinda amazing.

https://twitter.com/RamonVillalobos/status/1078272245921808386

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've seen the original Woodstock movie but I haven't seen a lot of Woodstock 99. Who performed there?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Was it 94 or 99 that turned into a riot?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Woodstock 99 had worse music and iirc a gang rape soooooo

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Yeah, i think '99 took place in like a concrete parking lot or something similar. It was an incredible mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've seen the original Woodstock movie but I haven't seen a lot of Woodstock 99. Who performed there?

I'd love to screen a double feature of the original doc and the Woodstock 99 VHS I had as a kid.

Phiz has an ongoing WS99 thead, btw: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3867655