Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
a giant spider???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

lizardman posted:

a giant spider???

Indeed, a giant spider.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

this coming from a lizard man

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

lizardman posted:

a giant spider???

problem?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

A must watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9AWkqRwd1I

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I've seen bigger

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

looks like the real enemy was a giant spider all along

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

The original enemy thread ruled because there was a guy legit arguing that it was a movie about an alien spider invasion.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Oh my god

Meowbot posted:

I think that is what happening is that the whole world is taken over by spiders and they never talk about it they are just like there are giant loving spiders and aliens everywhere not much we can do about it live life anyway. The whole purpose of the killing the spider was maybe that was one of the offspring and rich people go and watch them get killed kind of like "our little victory in this hideous war". These spiders have been assimilating the human race and you don't know who is who. The part where she is crying going "I think you know" they realize that people showing up with doubles is because the spiders got to them or something. I was really high when I watched it and I'm sticking to my plan.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3610231&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post430492835

This isn't even the only one.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
It's one if my favorite movies, and I assume one of Jon Peters favorites as well.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure the Giant Spider Invasion theory has actually made it's way to the wider internet as like a well known alternate reading of the film. Nerds are pretty funny sometimes.

I should really do a complete Villenueve rewatch sometime soon, there's just only so many places you can go if you're craving that kind of visual style.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

I should really do a complete Villenueve rewatch sometime soon, there's just only so many places you can go if you're craving that kind of visual style.

Make sure to start from the beginning. I need more people with thoughts about 32 Août sur Terre.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Man the poster who came in late in the old thread lecturing about how you westerners don't get this movie because magical realism is a Latin American thing comes off really insufferable. I'm not sure he meant to be that condescending but nonetheless...

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I read somewhere (on IMDb maybe?) that the spider is a physical manifestation of his helplessness against women. I can’t watch the movie and see for myself because I hate spiders :(

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

remigious posted:

I read somewhere (on IMDb maybe?) that the spider is a physical manifestation of his helplessness against women. I can’t watch the movie and see for myself because I hate spiders :(

It's more like a representation of how trapped he feels by his monotonous life with his girlfriend. Which may not be all that much of a distinction but there's also that gigantic city-sized spider that to me implies that it's more about the totality of his circumstances in life that are making him feel trapped, not necessarily as specific to women as a lot of other readings of the film seem to argue for. He's also a school teacher, which certainly isn't as exciting and glamorous as what he's got going on in the other life.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's women, OP.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

It's more like a representation of how trapped he feels by his monotonous life with his girlfriend. Which may not be all that much of a distinction but there's also that gigantic city-sized spider that to me implies that it's more about the totality of his circumstances in life that are making him feel trapped, not necessarily as specific to women as a lot of other readings of the film seem to argue for. He's also a school teacher, which certainly isn't as exciting and glamorous as what he's got going on in the other life.

He also lives in Mississauga, if we're discussing the theme of feeling trapped in a monotonous life.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Going with the "women are spiders" thing, it seems folks kind of take for granted that the lectures in the beginning about life under a totalitarian regime refer to women being the dictators (from the male point of view) and that makes sense until you consider how scared the bedroom-sized tarantula is of her husband/doppelganger. Coupled with the fetish-club opening scene and how the women in the film are generally mistreated and neglected, I think it makes at least as much sense that the women/ spiders are the subjects to the totalitarian rule of the fragile male psyche.

This is where one of our resident CineD superstars chimes in that obviously the oppressive dictatorship is the capitalist system that fools men and women into believing the problem is each other and that there is no war but the class war you liberal troglodyte.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

If I'm remembering correctly, the city-sized spider happens right after his conversation with his mother. It looks a hell of a lot like this spider statue, named "Maman."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hand Knit posted:

If I'm remembering correctly, the city-sized spider happens right after his conversation with his mother. It looks a hell of a lot like this spider statue, named "Maman."

That's interesting yea, I hadn't remembered that detail.