Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will be #1 Pick?
DE Nick Bosa
DT Quinnen Williams
White Quarterback
Kicker...yeah...definitely the Kicker
View Results

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

FizFashizzle posted:

Larsen is ready to step in for Kalil, and should honestly be starting already Ryan is just toast.

Addison is fine, but the Panthers could spend their top pick on DT or DE and I wouldn't be upset.

At safety, I think they need to resign reid and give him an actual free safety over the top. The secondary will look worlds better when it's not counting on 2 SS and a cripple at nickel.

Ian thomas had a pretty good game today. Olsen was a HOF caliber player if he'd had a better situation, and the Panthers aren't going to replace that. Thomas might be good enough.

Honestly I think the pieces on offense are good enough. My draft targets are DT, DE, DB, in no particular order.

Since I wrote that, Ian Thomas had a nice 4 game stretch. He also had a 7 game stretch where he had 1 target in total. Hopefully he shows a bit more this week. If Olsen wants to stick around one more year, I would be happy with Olsen starting and Thomas getting more reps, and not addressing this position in the draft.

Also a fun fact. Going back to the Lions game (6 weeks), our nickel corner (Munnerlyn) is leading the team in sacks with 2. Going back to the Steelers game (7 weeks), Peppers ties him with 2. Our pass rush has evaporated, and the DL is the culprit. I would now be happy with spending the top pick on the best available pass rusher, regardless of position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Didn't even realize this thread got made I was about to write up an OP

This draft is loving stacked top to bottom.

Best d-line class in years, maybe ever. Bosa, Oliver, Josh Allen, the entire Clemson d-line, Sweat, Gary, Jefferey Simmons, Brian Burns, Zach Allen, the list just keeps going and a ton of these guys would be top 10 picks every year. Good thumping LBs too like Devin White, Wilson, Lamar, and Coney. I feel like I'm just listing the entire Clemson defense at this point but whatever.

Tons of coverage guys too. Greedy Williams is who I want the Giants to target if he somehow drops to us. Trayvon Mullen(oops) Julian Love, Deandre Baker.

Offense is pretty good. Good list of WRs like the pair Ole Miss has. Marquise Brown is my favorite weird prospect of the draft. Can't be more than 160 pounds and runs every route. OTs are solid throughout and there's some solid future all pros on both sides. People think it's a weak RB class but there's a lot of field churners that could stick in the NFL. Damien Harris, Bryce Love, Benny Snell, Devin Singletary. David Montgomery reminds me a lot of Ray Rice. Great cutter, total pinball, strong as gently caress and pretty smart to boot.

QB might even be good this year. Haskins has a cannon for an arm and he doesn't even plant his back foot so that's gotta get someone excited. Lock, Grier, and Jones are all looking like solid first round prospects too. I think Herbert got scared off by Haskin's emergence and wants to be a #1 in a weaker class next year.

Also big shout out to Voch Lombardi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?vochie63

He's a great source of information in these trying pay wall times

Doltos fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 28, 2018

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I think Trayvon Martin’s prospects might be dead, Daltos.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Next years class QB class is Tanking for Tua, Herbert will be an afterthought again.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

ELO Musk posted:

Well that's unfortunate

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Doltos posted:

QB might even be good this year. Haskins has a cannon for an arm and he doesn't even plant his back foot so that's gotta get someone excited. Lock, Grier, and Jones are all looking like solid first round prospects too. I think Herbert got scared off by Haskin's emergence and wants to be a #1 in a weaker class next year.

If Haskins blows up Washington's defense, and I think he will, then he goes in the top 10. Lock should be in the top 10 as well. The only reasons they won't go in the top 5 is it looks like the top 5 are set at QB and in need of DL help. My guess is one of them finds a suitor in the Giants or Jaguars and one of those teams snatches Haskins in the top 5, but trades are tough to predict. Most years, teams would be content drafting a DE/DT with a top pick because it is good value, but the Giants and Jaguars feel they are contenders that are only missing a QB, so they might try to get in front of each other to take the best one.

Also it seems every year the best QBs are ranked as like the 10th or 15th best player overall, yet they go in the top 3. It no longer surprises me to see teams gamble next years draft away to just have a shot at getting a good starting QB. They are that important.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Next years class QB class is Tanking for Tua, Herbert will be an afterthought again.

My only concern with Tua is I don't know if he is going to measure 6'1 at the combine, so some team might take Herbert because he is your prototypical size.

Slowpoke! fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 28, 2018

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
based on watching half a bowl game I'm convinced the Broncos will take the Duke QB. He's Got The Look.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

solarjetman posted:

based on watching half a bowl game I'm convinced the Broncos will take the Duke QB. He's Got The Look.

Of a thorougbred?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

solarjetman posted:

Daniel Jones is real good. Absolute beautiful touch and a decent arm to boot. Duke asks a lot out of him too with tough sideline and fade throws so I guarantee you some lovely draftnik will knock him for his accuracy.

Slowpoke! posted:

Also it seems every year the best QBs are ranked as like the 10th or 15th best player overall, yet they go in the top 3. It no longer surprises me to see teams gamble next years draft away to just have a shot at getting a good starting QB. They are that important.

That feels like it's been happening a lot and also I feel like I've been way off on QB value these past few years. Didn't think Trubisky or Watson were worth their picks at all. Baker going first surprised me too since I thought he was a total mid teens pick.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

ELO Musk posted:

Nah, he's got a shot.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Slowpoke! posted:

My only concern with Tua is I don't know if he is going to measure 6'1 at the combine, so some team might take Herbert because he is your prototypical size.

That is the dumbest poo poo. Not saying you're wrong but drat is that stupid. Flacco is like 6'6 and he's near led the league in tipped balls for the past few years. As long as they have good vision and know where the ball is supposed to go, who cares.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

The Puppy Bowl posted:

That is the dumbest poo poo. Not saying you're wrong but drat is that stupid. Flacco is like 6'6 and he's near led the league in tipped balls for the past few years. As long as they have good vision and know where the ball is supposed to go, who cares.

If anything Tua is better built for what he does with his feet. Running back frames for dual threats, and height isn't nearly as much of an issue with offenses spread out.

I feel like short qbs might actually have less tipped passes since they have to throw with a higher trajectory, which would usually make more catchable balls also

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The only thing size matters for is frame. You don't want a slight guy taking big sacks. Tua's about the same size as Brees and Brees is really good at crumpling and avoiding big hits, Tua not so much. Not that he gets blasted behind that oline but he likes to twist and turn in the pocket which could lead to getting his bell rung or more leg injuries down the line.

As a passer and a creator though, c'est magnifique

big fork small knife
Jan 23, 2006

Doltos posted:

The only thing size matters for is frame. You don't want a slight guy taking big sacks. Tua's about the same size as Brees and Brees is really good at crumpling and avoiding big hits, Tua not so much. Not that he gets blasted behind that oline but he likes to twist and turn in the pocket which could lead to getting his bell rung or more leg injuries down the line.

As a passer and a creator though, c'est magnifique

How would you rate Kyler Murray? I haven’t watched him like at all, so I dunno how he is at taking sacks, but isn’t he around 180 lbs?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

big fork small knife posted:

How would you rate Kyler Murray? I haven’t watched him like at all, so I dunno how he is at taking sacks, but isn’t he around 180 lbs?

I think he's gonna be one of those examples of QBs you think should be outside the top 100 then some team takes him in the first. He's obviously an elite athlete with a cannon for an arm and I think Lincoln Riley is an offensive genius so who knows, he could be a draft darling just like Mayfield.

He's got a lot of Rodgers in him where he wants to roll out and leave the pocket constantly because he knows he's faster than DEs. Like he's not a run first QB, he's more of a run out QB. I think he has issues with ball placement. A lot of really big throws in his highlight reel that led to TDs but weren't exactly in the right spots at all. There's also something to be said about wide open throws boosting his completion percentages. As I said before I hold Lincoln Riley in high regard because he brought the run game back to the air raid. He runs a ton of pulls and counters that confuse the hell out of defenses coupled with an all out passing attack and a dual threat QB rolling away from those counters and pulls. If you watch some All-22 of Oklahoma they get amazing passing lanes constantly. You're starting to see that more in the NFL now with the Chargers and the Rams so maybe that's not a bad thing and Murray just actually might be a good fit in the current NFL despite being the size of a slot WR.

big fork small knife
Jan 23, 2006

Doltos posted:

There's also something to be said about wide open throws boosting his completion percentages. As I said before I hold Lincoln Riley in high regard because he brought the run game back to the air raid. He runs a ton of pulls and counters that confuse the hell out of defenses coupled with an all out passing attack and a dual threat QB rolling away from those counters and pulls. If you watch some All-22 of Oklahoma they get amazing passing lanes constantly. You're starting to see that more in the NFL now with the Chargers and the Rams so maybe that's not a bad thing and Murray just actually might be a good fit in the current NFL despite being the size of a slot WR.

Yeah, I figure that it’s not impossible for him to thrive in the NFL. Baker seems to be doing alright (though Murray probably isn’t on Baker’s level in terms of accuracy).

It’s ultimately not gonna matter anyway. I don’t trust Marrone to develop a young QB and I don’t think he’s going anywhere. The Jags are just gonna sign Flacco, draft a DL and keep running up the gut 50 times a game.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I'd expect Murray to be more likely to go in the top 10 than he would outside of the first round.

Quarterbacks are going to move up the board even if you have to squint to see it.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Murray should not go to the NFL is my take

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Yeah honestly if you have a choice to be a perennial 20/20 guy in the MLB you take that over concussions and destroyed joints in football.

Hell he might even have Mookie Betts potential and that alone should make him just stick with the A's.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I don't know poo poo about baseball because it's an awful sport for elderly men to argue about but this article has a financial rundown on Murray's choice

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/ask-ba-financially-kyler-murray-would-do-better-in-the-nfl/

Murray has a $4.6 million guaranteed signing bonus in hand that he will be fully paid as long as he reports and plays baseball going forward (the contract specifically allowed him to play for Oklahoma this fall). But in baseball, that $4.6 million is the only significant payday he will receive for the next five to seven seasons. Considering he has less at-bats under his belt than his peers, he’s likely two to three seasons away from reaching the majors. And then he would be another three seasons away from arbitration. So his first big payday for baseball would likely not come until 2023 or 2024. His first chance at free agency would likely come after the 2026 or 2027 seasons. At that point, Murray will be 29 or 30, which means he’s likely to get one significant free-agent contract if he ends up being a very productive regular.

Even in Jackson’s case, he will do significantly better financially as the 32nd pick in the NFL draft than Murray did as the ninth pick in the baseball draft. Jackson signed a nearly $5 million signing bonus and is guaranteed more than $7.5 million even if the Ravens cut him tomorrow. That is almost $3 million more than Murray’s baseball contract. Jackson will make an average of more than $1.1 million a season over the first four seasons of his NFL career. The Ravens can keep him for the 2022 season by exercising a fifth-year option at a significant raise (likely $10 million or more). And then, having earned $20 million or more, he would be eligible for free agency after the 2022 season."

There is a question of longevity, but quarterbacks have that as well and at the end of the day I think the bigger risk in either football or baseball is that he simply isn't that good which would put more emphasis on short-term gains IMO- and even then I think it would make sense to wash out of football and then try to go into baseball.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Catfish Noodlin posted:

There is a question of longevity, but quarterbacks have that as well and at the end of the day I think the bigger risk in either football or baseball is that he simply isn't that good which would put more emphasis on short-term gains IMO- and even then I think it would make sense to wash out of football and then try to go into baseball.

It is worth noting he has to go in the first for this to make sense. Although I guess he can declare, go through the process, and if he doesn't end up with a good draft spot just ignore the whole thing and go back to baseball. Unless it's specifically written into his contract he can't go to the combine or something, which I haven't seen.

There have been a few guys who went the baseball > football route with...very moderate success (outside Bo I guess), has anyone gone football to baseball and been successful out of curiosity? Like made the majors I mean. I remember Pat White tried but then quit pretty fast.

e: Well Deion sorta, but like flushed out of pro football and then had a baseball career I mean. Tebow does not count in my opinion.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 29, 2018

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Yeah kyler is a raw baseball prospect but I'd rather take the gamble of being a good baseball player than a smaller than djax QB making it to the next contract

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
There’s something deeply tragic that Jeff S made more money than Calvin Johnson.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Yeah, I figure that it’s not impossible for him to thrive in the NFL. Baker seems to be doing alright (though Murray probably isn’t on Baker’s level in terms of accuracy).

I think football "common knowledge" might be on the verge of shifting when it comes to slightly undersized quarterbacks. I mean, Drew Brees and Russel Wilson should've put it to bed ages ago but if Baker can keep balling and Tua/Kyler come into the NFL and do things you gotta think it's gonna open things up for shorter guys in the future.

I think the ability of many short quarterbacks to navigate the pocket with sharp movements and outrun/outmaneuver defensive lineman to set up a pass or a run is really priceless. Negative plays decrease, coverage is stretched to its limit and defenders migrate out of position, leading to big plays. This season especially, movement in the pocket and extending plays has been absolutely crucial and led to much of the success of the top QBs. The pressure put on immobile QBs has also tended to hamstring them a bit, because rushes are getting home quickly if you can't buy some extra time. SO MANY big plays this season have happened after scrambles. Smaller guys have the agility that really serves them well in those situations.

Play fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 29, 2018

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Yeah exactly but also the caveat that Wilson was extremely good in college and would have been an undisputed top 5 pick if was 6'4. There's a ton of really lovely short QBs in the NCAA that shouldn't be unnecessarily crowned because of Wilson/Brees. Like Kyler is really good but being able to dip and dive around a pocket isn't something Wilson would want to do if he had the choice. Wilson turned into a more mobile QB in the NFL than he was in college because he had a massive o-line in Wisconsin that kept the heat off him constantly and he was able to deliver pocket strikes. I'd almost always take a QB that goes through reads over one that is able to move when the play breaks down. That was the big knock on Manziel, that he'd have these amazing highlights but most were the product of him giving up on a play too early. I feel like agile QBs do that too much and never turn into anything in the NFL.

Height difference is still just silly though as long as you're not like 5'5". There's a reason why oline is taught to bend at the waste which makes them like 5'6 tops when they bend a whole foot down or more getting into a compact stance. Batting down passes doesn't matter either. If the passing lane is closed it's closed. The difference between passing into a 6'4 guy with his hands up or a 5'9 guy with his hands up is which part of the arm the ball hits when it's batted down.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Kyler Murray is going to play soccer after tonight

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

This is the first year I completely skipped the QB write-ups. Feels good.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Who are the good jump ball wrs in this draft

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Like half the WR prospects are 6'3 and up this year so there's a ton.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Okay but who are the good ones

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

n'keal harry is cool. big with hands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KYrrmP1bEk

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Oh my god

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
It's a shame that for the first time in ages that the Cardinals get the #1 pick, there's no consensus #1 QB that a team will give up a Goffian load for. Also none of the top three teams need a QB (though the next four probably do) so any QB-needy team only has to jump to #3 to pick up Haskins or whoever. I suppose the Cardinals couldn't go wrong with Bosa, though another good scenario might be to do what the Colts did last year to trade down a bit and grab someone like Jonah Williams.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Kelvin Harmon throws DB's like Vance McDonald ending Chris Conte while making contested catches and N'Kael Harry is the best all around WR for my money. Either one showing up in a Browns uniform would make me extremely happy.

*opinions subject to change

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I think you have to give Rosen more time, right? This is a good class to have the top pick in if you don't need a QB, right?

The Chiefs had to take a dogshit tackle project #1 when they had it. I'd have killed for a Bosa or Williams that year.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

bosa would be good seeing as how the cardinals whiffed on nkemdiche. the raiders have the picks to move up but i'm not so sure it's worth it when they have the 4th overall. we just have to see how it plays out.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
Bosa would definitely be great. My only concern is that the Cardinals have so many holes on their roster, though I suppose a fierce pass rush can cover up many defensive holes.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

The Puppy Bowl posted:

It could be a nothingburger. That was just my hot take, that Tua doesn't look 6'1, but for all I know it's because he squats down when he is taking the snap and he has a relatively stocky frame.

I think like a lot of people have said, height at QB is less important compared to frame, and Tua has a strong frame. He also is a pass-first runner so I think he will hold up better than someone like Murray.

I think if he does declare, he is going to test the limit for the "size doesn't matter" crowd at QB. He is super small.

I hope he declares because that OU/Alabama game was amazing to watch.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

kiimo posted:

I think you have to give Rosen more time, right? This is a good class to have the top pick in if you don't need a QB, right?

The Chiefs had to take a dogshit tackle project #1 when they had it. I'd have killed for a Bosa or Williams that year.

I think he was lamenting not being able to get a king's ransom for the #1 pick since there isn't an Andrew Luck type guy that everyone wants to move up for. Most likely, the Cards will not find a suitor given that there currently isn't a lot of separation between the top DL prospects.

But yeah, not a bad year to pick first. The best prospects are pass rushing DEs and DTs. Most scouts would say QB, DE, DT, and LT are the only positions worthy of that spot, so if they take Bosa or Williams they shouldn't be disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Slowpoke! posted:

It could be a nothingburger. That was just my hot take, that Tua doesn't look 6'1, but for all I know it's because he squats down when he is taking the snap and he has a relatively stocky frame.

I think like a lot of people have said, height at QB is less important compared to frame, and Tua has a strong frame. He also is a pass-first runner so I think he will hold up better than someone like Murray.

I think if he does declare, he is going to test the limit for the "size doesn't matter" crowd at QB. He is super small.

I hope he declares because that OU/Alabama game was amazing to watch.

Tua is slightly under or right at six feet. Kyler is... Significantly smaller.

https://media.ksdk.com/assets/KSDK/images/45f8b960-bc20-4fb3-9f16-3dec81db540e/45f8b960-bc20-4fb3-9f16-3dec81db540e_750x422.jpg