Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will be #1 Pick?
DE Nick Bosa
DT Quinnen Williams
White Quarterback
Kicker...yeah...definitely the Kicker
View Results

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
Dolphins needs:

QB- The bottom has fallen out on Ryan Tannehill, he's missed 28 games over the past three seasons and injuries have robbed him of his already dubious status as being the "Mendoza line" at QB. It's possible the Dolphins owner mandates that they come up with some sort of solution for the situation this off-season, which is loving stupid to go into this draft with a mandate to get a solution at QB but you didn't get to be the Dolphins by not doing stuff like that.

TE- They drafted Mike Gesicki last year, but he's an absolute loving mess that is going to need a tremendous amount of developmental work before he's any good, and I don't think you can take it off the table in '19.

OL- The interior OL is a disaster, but that's the way Adam Gase likes it so if he's back I doubt they'll invest serious resources in the draft here. They also seem to hate RT Ja'Wuan James, and it seems unclear how they're going to replace him outside of the draft.

DL- This has got to be the favorite for their 1st round pick given the state of QB in the draft, but they are a good candidate for scheme change next year so edge vs. DT and the exact profile of the player is kind of up in the air. Same with LB, in a sense.

DB- They need another DB, but who the gently caress knows what position because Minkah Fitzpatrick has switched between primarily being a slot, boundary, and safety like four different times.

Hamhandler fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
Walter Football is about the only guy out there compiling what draft prospects teams have met with. Like at least as a Dolphins fan we usually find out like months later and sometimes even after the draft

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

I'd expect Murray to be more likely to go in the top 10 than he would outside of the first round.

Quarterbacks are going to move up the board even if you have to squint to see it.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

I don't know poo poo about baseball because it's an awful sport for elderly men to argue about but this article has a financial rundown on Murray's choice

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/ask-ba-financially-kyler-murray-would-do-better-in-the-nfl/

Murray has a $4.6 million guaranteed signing bonus in hand that he will be fully paid as long as he reports and plays baseball going forward (the contract specifically allowed him to play for Oklahoma this fall). But in baseball, that $4.6 million is the only significant payday he will receive for the next five to seven seasons. Considering he has less at-bats under his belt than his peers, he’s likely two to three seasons away from reaching the majors. And then he would be another three seasons away from arbitration. So his first big payday for baseball would likely not come until 2023 or 2024. His first chance at free agency would likely come after the 2026 or 2027 seasons. At that point, Murray will be 29 or 30, which means he’s likely to get one significant free-agent contract if he ends up being a very productive regular.

Even in Jackson’s case, he will do significantly better financially as the 32nd pick in the NFL draft than Murray did as the ninth pick in the baseball draft. Jackson signed a nearly $5 million signing bonus and is guaranteed more than $7.5 million even if the Ravens cut him tomorrow. That is almost $3 million more than Murray’s baseball contract. Jackson will make an average of more than $1.1 million a season over the first four seasons of his NFL career. The Ravens can keep him for the 2022 season by exercising a fifth-year option at a significant raise (likely $10 million or more). And then, having earned $20 million or more, he would be eligible for free agency after the 2022 season."

There is a question of longevity, but quarterbacks have that as well and at the end of the day I think the bigger risk in either football or baseball is that he simply isn't that good which would put more emphasis on short-term gains IMO- and even then I think it would make sense to wash out of football and then try to go into baseball.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Didn't we do this same stuff with Jake Long and Vernon Gholston years ago?

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

I don't really understand the argument about Murray's build insofar as his ability to hold up to playing in the NFL- is there something to suggest the types of hits that the quarterback takes are the issue here? Because there are a poo poo-load of NFL runningbacks who have the same general dimensions as the 5'10/11", 195 pounds that Murray is listed at:

http://pfref.com/tiny/J6j04

I mean just in general using size as a predictor of how someone is going to hold up to the wear and tear of the NFL really just seems like an impossibly crude guesstimate when what you're really worrying about is body mechanic and tendon and ligament flexibility and strength, and that seems pretty far beyond the NFL right now.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Doltos posted:

There's a huge difference between running at someone and getting tackled as opposed to standing still and getting tackled. Weight distribution and muscle density is hugely important too. Those 5'10 195 RBs pack a ton of lower body and core strength. Pat White was murdered on the field because he was 190 pounds of normal body human body, not muscle.

Pat White got tripped by a shoe-string tackle into a helmet to helmet hit. It had nothing to do with his weight, unless he somehow could have collected fat or muscle in his body in the fashion of a beluga whale's forehead or something like that.

Doltos posted:

Also there's almost no RBs left in the NFL that are traditional thinner scat backs. Almost every starting RB this year was at least 200 pounds and of the two that weren't (Lindsay and Breida) one was injured constantly throughout the season while the other suffered a season ending injury. Being 190 pounds as opposed to 205 pounds is a huge deal if those 15 pounds are muscle. Like there's a reason why weigh ins exist for boxing and MMA.

The best thing going for Murray right now is that it's pretty much illegal to look at a QB in today's NFL.

Runningback is like one of the only NFL positions that hasn't seen a meaningful increase in size over time:

https://deadspin.com/how-have-the-weights-of-nfl-positions-changed-over-time-1545701731

Meanwhile, I don't think the physical trauma even a relatively high volume rushing quarterback receives is really on the face of it comparable to even a change of pack back. Especially when you're talking about a league that punishes defenders for taking shots on quarterbacks, and encourages guys to slide while rushing.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Slowpoke! posted:

QB is not as expendable as RB, and they tend to make $20+ million/year if they are decent. Most RBs make around one-third to one-quarter that. You obviously treat a guy with that kind of importance to the team, and that kind of contract, a little bit differently. For example, if Kirk Cousins got hurt in Minnesota then good luck finding another QB to replace him when he is eating up $28 million of cap. If your RB goes down, you plug in the other guy on your roster.

I'm not saying that you are not taking on any additional risk with Kyler Murray, I just think the risk is overstated and in some respects based on some weird beliefs.

I think it's also worth noting that Murray is pretty responsible with regards to his body- he's got no qualms at all about sliding early and often:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/9/14/17857678/kyler-murray-running-ability-baseball-sliding

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Every year there's a discussion on how NFL athletes and 40 times stack up and uh:

https://twitter.com/usainbolt/status/1091768056592982017

Usain Bolt ran a 4.22(which is the NFL's "record") in street shoes and sweat pants.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Abugadu posted:

Re: TE’s from Iowa, why is Hock rated that highly, especially over Fant? Blocking skills?

That'd be my argument. Blocking is nice on it's own, but the ability to play as a credible in-line player is a big part of why the position is difficult to defend in the passing game.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Play posted:

Clifton Duck

Bunchy Stallings

Evan Butts

Easton Stick

Soso Jamabo

Squally Canada

Shy Tuttle

Hamp Cheevers

yes these are all real

He's not draft eligible the the Argonauts just signed a defensive tackle named Cory "Poop" Johnson:

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/02/13/argos-ink-defensive-tackle-cory-poop-johnson/

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Amy Pole Her posted:

Miami picking a QB even though literally everyone’s agreed they aren’t interested in any of this year’s crop and it’s universally accepted we’re building the support system for a QB this year

Dude didn’t do basic hw

I don't know if you can take that at face value. If you did like a quarterback in this draft, you're at a lot of risk of getting jumped by another team, having to trade up, and potentially getting into a bidding war for the right to do so.

I think there's a pretty good likelihood that the coaching staff would turn around and say that Dwayne Haskins is their guy. He's going to be a really good fit for the passing concepts Chad O'Shea is likely going to run, I don't know Jim Caldwell is going to advocate fully trusting in the tank thing, etc.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Ches Neckbeard posted:

I don't think the Dolphins can out tank what Gruden is going to do next year. That's going to be an almost entirely rookie defense.

Yeah, I think it's a dumbass idea. I think more likely than not they're going to waste a year for the privileged of trading up for Justin Herbert or some poo poo like that.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Then tank harder. Cut or trade everyone over 26 or of immediate value to another team. Amass picks and cap space for two years down the road.

The problem is that the bulk of the Dolphins talent is in that 26-and-under range. The Dolphins got replacement-level play from almost all of their second contract guys last year, and a lot of the wins they pulled out of their rear end came on the back of fluky plays from young skill position players or DBs. I don't think your decision making on who to trade or cut would really look much different if you were tanking, or trying to fix the roster to be competitive in the shorter-term either. The veterans you would cut would still be the same, and the harder decisions you'd have to make(Xavien Howard) would still be similarly hard decisions.

I don't think the Dolphins are likely to be in contention for #1 overall unless they start plowing under young players on their rookie contracts, and that is where you start getting really loving risky. Like, you're going to ruin your loving team- if Tua or whoever they draft is a bust, you're a loving ruin and you've already had a lot of problems hiring coaches or front office people. You're looking in the face of some real pre-Marvin Lewis Bengals poo poo.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Amy Pole Her posted:

Miami under Grier is obvious and they don’t try to trick anyone about this. We still draft guys that are leaked to be in our favor weeks in advance.

They’re not going QB unless they fell in love with Murray and he falls. It’s no secret they’re looking at defensive line heavily in this draft. The quote was “we (Miami) can draft a starter in the 3rd round in this draft”

Showing they are valuing defense. Recognize that this draft is the draft to invest in defensive line heavily. Strong possibility of hitting a bullseye.

You let a poo poo QB trot out there and get beat up as you see how your many draft picks or bargain free agent signings on the offensive line pan out and you get closer to a finished product involving a strong offensive line, a sound running back and a defense that can at least stop a few teams

Yeah I don't know that I agree with that- I think Mike Tannenbaum is the guy who liked to talk and leak and all that stuff. We don't really know that about Chris Grier. While I don't know that there's good evidence of a grand conspiracy to hide them going after a QB this year, I can't imagine any serious decisions have been made yet. The coaching staff has been working in the building for just a matter of days.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

It is hard to be bad enough to guarantee the first overall pick.

It is NOT hard to tank enough to be in contention for the first overall pick.

Trading scrap players and picks now for slightly higher picks in the future is a good move.

I think it'll be hard for the Dolphins to do without doing what you're mentioning in the last sentence, and I think that would be really irresponsible.

Taking the guys you have and filtering them back through the draft process is really problematic for the overall talent level. You're not going to get the picks you paid for some of them, and you're subjecting it to the randomness of the draft which means it's very likely you get significantly less than you paid in.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I also disagree with the notion that if you draft a stellar qb prospect that busts, then the team is ruined. For two reasons. First, rookie contracts are team friendlier than ever. Second, if a team doesn’t have a great qb, then they are already ruined. At a certain point you just have to gamble on drafting a qb.

I think if pull what would probably be the most obvious tank job in NFL history, turn around and poo poo the bed on it, I think you've done serious damage to your teams credibility.

One of the agents during the Dolphins coaching search basically outright said that his candidate was interested in the job because it's difficult for a black head coach to get a fair shake. All of the other coaching candidates were pretty much jokes that don't make any sense outside of a late-stage Al Davis or Mike Brown hiring. The last time the Dolphins tried to hire a GM on the open market, they had multiple interview requests turned down, had multiple candidates decline the job offer, then turned around and hired a guy who had no real prospects to be a GM anywhere.

If the Dolphins gently caress up a tank job, I think they're basically ruined until Stephen Ross dies.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

That concept of a ruined team makes no sense. Drafted players will play for the team. FAs play where they are paid. FO/coaching will work for team because it’s a prestigious job.

If decades of spectacular failure hasn’t stopped the Chiefs, lions, Browns, etc. from recently getting good players and coaches then idk dude. “Ruin” isn’t a thing.

I guess if an owner was a total meddling douche like the Browns owner then maybe?

The Dolphins are already most of the way to the point where they can no longer hire credible non-player professionals to run their team. If the bottom falls out on that, I think you're pretty well hosed.

I mean, again the coaching staff- they were able to attract some credible talent, and an agent basically came out and said it was an undesirable job but that minority coaches cannot afford to be picky. The non-minority guys that they interviewed were Dennis Allen, Dowell Loggains, and Darren Rizzi. If you manage to gently caress up and degrade your position even worse, and that is representative of your pool moving forward, you are pretty well hosed.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Play posted:

If Jameis Winston and Kirk Cousins had a baby...

That footwork is UGG-LYY! I feel like Gold dismissed that issue a little easily, considering footwork can be as difficult to change and fix as a throwing motion. I like the quick release but in the nfl he'll have to learn how to step into his throws and keep his feet under him. His movement skills seem kind of lacking too, but his arm throws a lively ball which would get even more so with proper footwork.

He's promising, but he also looks significantly less prepared than Rosen, Darnold and Mayfield last year. Essentially, he's developmental. Slim pickings this year for QBs when the top guy is a one year starter that looks like he'll need some time to get going in the NFL. Giants might be a good spot if they are actually committed to having Eli start next season, give him time to catch up. In Jacksonville or Washington he'd be baptized by fire, which could be good or bad

His footwork is certainly hindering his deep accuracy(and I think he ends up having bad timing on deep throws as well because he doesn't have a lot of confidence in it), but it doesn't seem to have any effect at all on his short/intermediate throws- I think he's downright surgical in those areas at times.

To me, that's the real potential risk with Haskins- you might end up with Alex Smith 2.0.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

TheGreyGhost posted:

He might have more in his non-throwing arm than Alex smith does in his throwing arm. He’s an all-arm nutbar which means you could be getting the equivalent of a favre/roethlisbergwr type or like Kyle Boller. Smith isn’t a great comparison.

Well, use whatever example you'd like for a guy who one way or the other is hesitant and restricted from making deeper throws. Chad Pennington? I think the reason why functionally doesn't matter that much when the end result could be very similar.

Hamhandler fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 23, 2019

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

https://twitter.com/NFLDraft/status/1101877405701021699

I'm a little bit suspicious it is the Dolphins or Lions who might be in range for Ed Oliver and might consider giving him situational MLB snaps.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Play posted:

I don't get that at all. In fact, that's downright retarded

I don't think anyone is looking at converting him, but it is something worth exploring for teams running defenses that can support it in defensive packages(Dolphins, Lions, Patriots- I think the Titans requested he do it).

The Patriots are out there putting Dont'a Hightower as the sole off-the-ball linebacker in a situation where he's literally just beef in the middle of the field. He's got no specific gap in the run game(the 2-gap NT frees him), he doesn't have to chase sidelines to sidelines(you've got wide force defenders funneling runs inside), and aren't going to put a lot of stresses in coverage because the extra DBs- you can pretty much just drop him into a low hole zone over and over, especially if you've got extra DBs on the field(which they do frequently). I mean they had Brandon Spikes out there doing that poo poo, and it's quite possible Oliver tests out as more athletic than him.

https://twitter.com/JamesALight/status/1092079767812231168

Hell they've even got the guy out there as a literal "Nose Backer" in those Marble looks.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Amy Pole Her posted:

Play - as this forums top draft expert, who would you target as the best defensive linemen for a 3-4/4-3 hybrid

IMO the Patriots defense(and what the Dolphins seem likely to run) is broken down into these sub-positions(which are then re-arranged into a variety of situations)

NT- Classic 2-gap player, needs to be able to control a center or guard. They seem to be willing to spend on a guy who they think can also play DT(Malcom Brown)
Draft-wise, Dexter Lawrence is really the guy and someone they've met with. I don't know if there's a lot of other options here.

DT- Pretty much a standard 3-technique most of the time. The Patriots seem willing to spend for aggressive, athletic 1-gap guys here(Dominique Easley), which I can see how it would work.
Draft-wise, the most likely guy is Ed Oliver I think. They apparently grilled him at the combine, there's a chance he makes it to #13. They've also talked to Quinnen Williams, which seems a bit optimistic. They've spoken to Armon Watts as well. Christian Wilkins would probably fit in here.

DE- They want Michael Bennett/Justin Tuck kind of guys(or for that matter, Trey Flowers). I've got a suspicion that it's more of a later round pick for the Patriots, but the Dolphins might be in a situation where this is clearly the BPA.
Draft-wise they've talked to Nick Bosa(again, optimistic) and Rashan Gary who both fall into this sub-position. They've also met with LJ Collier, Jalen Jelks, and Charles Omenihu. Clelin Ferrell would probably fit in here.

OLB- 3-4 style OLBs are the order of the day here. They want guys who can play the run and can cover here, and they end up giving a solid amount of reps to these guys as true off-the-ball linebackers as well.
Draft-wise this is a harder one to fill IMO, they've talked to Montez Sweat, Jachai Polite, Jordan Brailford, and Sione Takitaki. Brian Burns would probably fit in here, but he might be a bit of a finesse player for their liking.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

kiimo posted:

Is a hybrid a 4-3 Under

Yes, usually that's what it ends up being- you take a 4-3 Under and have guys line up and do similar things to a 3-4 but have a little more flexibility with personnel.

The Patriots, Lions, and probably the Dolphins are doing something different- Belichick seems to have completely dropped that 4-3 Under they ran for a couple years, and now run a bunch of pretty unique formations using some 3-4 like elements(without seemingly ever running a 3-4).

Hamhandler fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 6, 2019

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

70% of all NFL defensive snaps are played in nickel or dime sub packages, with as little a 2 linemen, the rest being LBs and DBs in varying configurations, rendering the 3-4/4-3 base defense designation pretty much useless.

Wade Phillips confused the poo poo out of Brady in the 2015 AFCCG by putting 8 guys in coverage with 2 down lineman and Von Miller rushing from the edge, for example.

Houston will move Watt and or Clowney anywhere along the line in any formation bc both guys are versatile enough to rush from any gap standing up like an OLB or set like a traditional DL.

Anyway, the point is teams are almost never in base defense anymore

Sure, but I think base packages work better as a short-hand to describe defensive philosophies than describing Nickel packages do. The differences in defensive philosophy in general largely stems from how they're choosing to defend the gaps that an offense is presenting, and the more gaps present the more complicated that gets, and those complications end up creating key characteristics of the defense.

Base defenses have to defend a wider variety of formations and personnel packages than Nickel. They've got to defend both two-back and single-back, they're generally tasked with defending bigger gap disadvantages(2-back 2-TE usually), and they've got a wider array of unbalanced formations.

Sub packages are all pretty much tasked with defending the same offensive package(11 personnel), and the way that is defended is much more similar from team to team- there might be window dressing in terms of 2-point vs. 3-point stances, but pretty much everyone is still using the same kind of 4-2 with wide force defenders at least like half of the time, or they might be running a 4-1 dime package where the extra DB gets asked to do the same drat thing.

Hamhandler fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 6, 2019

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Play posted:

I knew you'd do a better job

Aw, schucks.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Dexter Lawrence evidentally has PFF's 4th best Pass Rush Productivity number among defensive tackles, which I find loving wild.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Slowpoke! posted:

He probably would have been a top 10-15 pick if it wasn't for the suspension. Maybe higher if he had a chance and played well in the CFB playoffs.

Guy is built for today's NFL. He can play pretty much every position on the DL, and a top-rated NT only comes around once every 3-4 years it seems.

I think it was so surprising because I guess at some level I don't think it's something that's going to translate to the NFL. Dexter Lawrence is just basically overpowering guys, and I don't think that translates to the NFL even if you are huge and strong with long arms. Guys are still going to be able to anchor on you.

Like, he doesn't even seem comparable to Vita Vea, for example, even though Lawrence technically was more productive on a per snap basis in their senior years. Vea had a much better set of pass rush moves.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

If it turns out the Cardinals are actually open to offers for the pick, there's due diligence to be done.

The price for the Rams to trade up from #15 to #1 to take Jared Goff was two 1sts, 2nds, and 3rds. I don't think that's too irresponsible, especially if you're freeing up a bunch of cap space and can be more active in free agency in the future.

There's a lot of uncertainty with the whole expecting to get a guy in 2020 thing. Hell, Tua might not even come out.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Ehud posted:

If we finally go all in on a QB and it's for the shortest QB in NFL history I will laugh and laugh.

I mean, what's the concern really? That he can't see over NFL linemen the same size as the ones he plays with in college?

Blitz7x posted:

I've seen lots of mocks have the Dolphins trading up with the Raiders for Haskins/Murray if he falls

I think this only happens if the first three picks are Bosa/Allen/Williams though

I think it's a possibility, but who knows? I go back and forth on Haskins- should the Dolphins in their position be OK with a comparatively limited ceiling?

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Ehud posted:

You don’t think there is a point where a guy is so small that it becomes a detriment to either his performance or durability?

I don't really have any concerns about Kyler Murray's height. There are enough shorter guys around at this point to indicate that it's something that has been historically overblown.

Weight-wise, I think there's certainly a potential for additional risk, but I have no idea how much additional risk. I don't think weight is a very good predictor of injury, just on the face of it. There are a lot of murky underlying factors on that one involving physical properties we can't measure like ligament tensile strength and a bunch of bio-mechanical factors.

Murray is very risk-adverse when it comes to taking hits, which I think is good.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

I don't really trust the Dolphins ability to tank properly.

They won a lot of the games they won last year based on explosive offensive plays or interceptions from guys still on the roster. Unless you're trading a bunch of those guys, you've got an easy element of risk there. Even if you're starting Luke Falk.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

weird Asian candy posted:

Do NFL teams even tank? NBA teams tank for sure. MLB teams tank. Feels like tanking in the NFL isn't really a thing although the Giants sure seem to be trying rn.

I think the Colts did for Andrew Luck, although they were pretty close to naturally being there.

The Giants just seem like they're incompetent.

That being said, it sure seems like the Dolphins are planning to:

https://twitter.com/AdamHBeasley/status/1106640964850991104

Hamhandler fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 15, 2019

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Ehud posted:

I would sign up for this, but I don't think there is any chance we do it.

I think it would be a bad idea(especially if your goal is a single prospect like Lawrence).

Your 2019 rookie class is going to be halfway through their rookie deals by the time you've even drafted your QB.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Blitz7x posted:

I think Burns is much better than Sweat, but Burns would disappear for large chunks of time no?

They're pretty comparable in terms of the rate in which they generated pressure in college.

Sweat is the better run defender, and I think there's a pretty reasonable hope that you can develop him into a little bit more of a power-oriented player who can play tighter techniques, where Burns is an obligate edge defender.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Play posted:

If Haskins fell into your lap would you Dolphins guys be into that?

Yeah, I think he's a good fit for the offense and I'm fairly comfortable that Jim Caldwell is a good enough QB coach and a relative lack of urgency are a good fit to deal with his flaws as a player.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

I don't think Oliver is really all that complicated. Put him as a 3-technique and don't ask him to play more conservative techniques in the run game.

There are plenty of teams in the top 10 that can accommodate that schematically.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Play posted:

He might be better with a strong ILB behind him who can clean up if he penetrates himself out of the play. Most of the time that penetration will cause way more problems for the opponent than for him, though. So yeah, not that complicated just set that beast loose imo

That's what the Titans did years back when they couldn't trust Albert Haynesworth to play with any sort of gap integrity. Jim Schwartz basically just had Keith Bulluck use Haynesworth as a key rather than anything the guard or tackle in front of him were doing.

IMO I don't think it's quite that severe with Oliver. Just don't ask him to spill or 2-gap.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

NickRoweFillea posted:

Can you explain what “3-tech” and “5-tech” mean? Thanks in advance!

Football terminology is incredibly stupid, and they use the term "technique" to describe where a down linemen is lined up.

Even numbers(0, 2, 4, 6,) are heads-up over opposing blockers, starting with the Center over 0(the classic Nose Tackle look). Odd numbers are shades, where a linemen lines up half over the outside edge of a blocker and half in a gap. Numbers with "i", such as a 2i or 4i are lined up on the inside edge of a defender. Also, for some reason most sources don't call anyone a 6i, and instead put a 7-technique inside of a 6-technique because again football terminology is really stupid.

Generally speaking, there are vague profiles of what kind of player can play what technique based on the kind of blocks they're likely to encounter.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

It's also worth mentioning that "techniques" also applies to linebackers, you just add a 0 at the end- ie a MLB lined up heads up over the Center would be a "00", over the Guards outside shoulder a "30", etc. If a linebacker is on the LOS, they get numbered like a defensive linemen.

weird Asian candy posted:

Good poo poo!

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

wandler20 posted:

What about Linebackers? WILL, MIKE, SAM, JACK.

I think everyone has their own version of that, there are loads.

Usually the first letter of the name corresponds with the alignment(Strongside = SAM), and some teams(Belichick, Saban) have the substitutes for those players follow the convention(SAM linebacker -> Star(*) DB, Mike linebacker -> Money($) DB), etc. But then it goes crazy when you're adding a 4th linebacker- sometimes they put a second "M" name for the other ILB(like Mac), or they just call the other ILB "Will" and break convention for the weakside OLB(Buck, Jack, Whip, Leo, Elephant, etc)

You've got a hundred plus years of gym coaches gradually adding and subtracting from a set of terminologies describing a pretty complex set of systems and concepts, it's all poo poo really

Hamhandler fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 28, 2019