Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will be #1 Pick?
DE Nick Bosa
DT Quinnen Williams
White Quarterback
Kicker...yeah...definitely the Kicker
View Results

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Lions have lost to both the Jets and 49ers and have yet to play the Cardinals.

There's a nonzero chance we could end up with a top three pick

It isn't based on head to head tiebreakers if that's what you mean. Instead it's opponent win/loss record

Draft Order:

quote:

-Determination of Draft order for the 32 NFL teams is based on the record and playoff finish by each team in that year.
-For the teams that did not make the playoffs, order is determined by overall season record, with the worst record picking first.
-For the teams that made the playoffs, the rest of the picks are ordered by playoff record, with the teams that lose getting lower picks based on which round they were ousted and the Super Bowl winner getting the last pick.
-For the playoff teams that got eliminated in the same round, their order is determined by regular season record.
-Overall ties are then broken by strength of schedule, which is a calculation of the combined record of all of a team\'s opponents in that year, with divisional opponents counting twice.
-The next tie breaker would be record against conference opponents and then divisional opponents.
-Coin flip will occur if tie still exists
-After the first round, the order is determined by revolving the teams with the same records, with the team that just picked first of the group picking last in the next round.
-If there is an expansion team, that team will pick first, and if there are two expansion teams, they will flip a coin with one team getting the first pick in the draft and the other in the expansion draft of current players.

Play fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Slowpoke! posted:

In today’s game, passing is so important that you could argue that the only real important players are the QBs, OTs and pass rushers. And yet we are rolling with 4 undrafted players at DE.

tired: pass-rushing DEs
wired: pass-rushing DTs

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I can't bring myself to care about the draft until I'm starving for football. Are these college players good or are they bad? Well find out. Maybe

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I agree last year's draft is more interesting. We should probably have a thread about that, a little retrospective.

If people can't reevaluate they're fools. I like to throw around some draft hot takes but if I'm wrong sometimes well, most people are

Play
Apr 25, 2006

big fork small knife posted:

Yeah, I figure that it’s not impossible for him to thrive in the NFL. Baker seems to be doing alright (though Murray probably isn’t on Baker’s level in terms of accuracy).

I think football "common knowledge" might be on the verge of shifting when it comes to slightly undersized quarterbacks. I mean, Drew Brees and Russel Wilson should've put it to bed ages ago but if Baker can keep balling and Tua/Kyler come into the NFL and do things you gotta think it's gonna open things up for shorter guys in the future.

I think the ability of many short quarterbacks to navigate the pocket with sharp movements and outrun/outmaneuver defensive lineman to set up a pass or a run is really priceless. Negative plays decrease, coverage is stretched to its limit and defenders migrate out of position, leading to big plays. This season especially, movement in the pocket and extending plays has been absolutely crucial and led to much of the success of the top QBs. The pressure put on immobile QBs has also tended to hamstring them a bit, because rushes are getting home quickly if you can't buy some extra time. SO MANY big plays this season have happened after scrambles. Smaller guys have the agility that really serves them well in those situations.

Play fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 29, 2018

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Ehud posted:

this dude is ridiculous and I hope we draft him

https://twitter.com/RetireMoms/status/1079825020103335937

@retiremoms

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Cards
Niners
Jets
Bucs
Gruden Grinders
Giants
Jags

So the Top 3 teams don't need a QB, Bucs prob do but reports are they're sticking with Jameis, who the gently caress knows what Gruden is doin, then the Giants and Jags who most def need a QB. But this QB draft is meh, though I do like Haskins, sadly.

Wonder what kinda of haul a Top 3 team could get for trading down? Haskins is QB1 I think, then uh, Drew Lock? Daniel Jones? I hope Gettlemen gets into a bidding war with himself again.

The Cardinals are probably going to want to trade down, so long as they're sure about Rosen. Not sure who exactly would make that decision given they don't have a head coach right now, but to me this could be a real opportunity to reevaluate where you're at. If they think Haskins is going to be better than Rosen, which seems more than possible, they might want to just go for it. That would be pretty funny as well, considering how it would totally spoil other teams' plans and the fact that this draft seems to have a clear number one QB and a bunch of mediocre also-rans.

In reality, teams rarely make bold decisions like that and even if the QB position improves that entire team is suspect. So it's also a reasonable strategy to focus primarily on O line and defense and let Rosen work another year. That's probably what they'll do, and getting some picks by trading down would help with that.

I feel like Haskins is going to end up first overall when all is said and done. There's just not enough talent and too many needy teams

Ches Neckbeard posted:

so was Zane Gonzales and Roberto Aguayo

dphi posted:

Dang, is Zane not good? I don't really pay attention but yeah, he was very reliable in college. Aguayo just shows why you don't draft a kicker early, can't handle the expectations.

Zane Gonzalez was dropped by the Browns after a horrible day but may actually be fine now. At least he was acceptable down the stretch for the Cardinals, and it may be true that he was dealing with a groin injury on that fateful day with the Browns.

Aguayo needs to go away forever

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Zane wasn't just one bad day. He was bad from day one and costed several Hue Jackson games.

He only played in two actual games for the Browns. In the first he had one field goal blocked and scored three extra points. In the second he made two out of four field goals and missed two extra points. Overall he made 5 out of 10 kicks for the Browns, with four of those misses coming on one day when he was dealing with a groin injury. He was also a rookie playing in his first two games.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Flikken posted:

Uhhhhhh

Wrong.

what the gently caress I could've sworn he was a rookie?

my mistake. either way, in 2017 he was actually 25 of 26 on extra points and 15 out of 20 on field goals for a total of 40 out of 56 which is ~87%, not bad. So it's still true that it was primarily that one game which got him canned, and that he still has definite potential. How the gently caress did I end up arguing about Zane Gonzalez I need to make better life choices

wandler20 posted:

I'm just mad we have to wait 2 more years for him.

I agree, he should be able to declare next year if that's what he wants to do

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I mean that guy's been the consensus number one quarterback in his age group for a long, long time. It's not like he just popped up out of nowhere, he's been hyped as the next big thing since like junior high school probably and people are always raving about him.

He throws the ball loving good that's for sure.

Anyways that isn't relevant I guess. I'd like to hear some people's opinions on whether Haskins will actually be any good in the NFL. I realize it's hard to know that but say how does he compare to the QB groups last year?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I was talking earlier in this thread about the chance that the Cardinals will use their number one pick on another quarterback. Surprised that it's actually becoming a narrative because NFL teams usually love to throw good money after bad. It still probably won't happen.

But number one picks aren't easy to come by and it could be a long time before they might be in a position to do this again. They have to at least make an honest evaluation of Rosen and decide what they should do. Murray would be way better than Rosen if the O line is still weak, but there's risk there too. He's 5'9", which is almost uncharted territory in the NFL. I also like the idea of Rosen on the Giants a lot. Certainly I believe he is capable of replacing Eli Manning and building on what Manning was able to do.

It all comes down to whether you think Rosen can be the guy that takes them all the way within the next several years of his rookie contract. I don't believe he can. I know that he came into the hardest situation by far of any rookie QB this year. But I still just don't see it. I think his ceiling is "decent".

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Cutting Cousins would ruin the tank though.

I know this is just a joke but man are Vikings fans being dumb about Cousins. Yes, he was paid 84 million dollars. That's the kind of money you have to spend to get a quality starter at QB in free agency. Now they have stability at the position and can focus the draft on shoring up some weak areas, notably the O line and secondary.

The dude completed 70% of his passes for 4,300 yards and 30 TDs for god's sake. Cousins is not the problem here

Play
Apr 25, 2006

quick reminder that this is actually the 2019 nfl draft thread

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Doltos posted:

I think that's just the case of more people playing football = more draftable players. That number should keep climbing every year as the U.S. population does.

What? It's about players leaving college early, not more people playing football or more players in the draft (either of which may not even be true). It says that right there.

They're smart to leave college early, depending on position it could end up leading to tens of millions of extra dollars down the road. Allows you to get to your first real contract earlier and also start getting decent money on the rookie contract. Every college game you play has a chance to derail your career with injury and is also losing you money unless you're rocketing up the draft boards.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I really think he should do football. Despite being the 9th pick in the MLB draft he hasn't even played that much baseball and could be a long way from the major leagues. Possible he never even gets there.

This coming draft is honestly perfect for him, given the lack of QB talent I could totally see a team claiming him in the first round as the first or second QB off the board. The height is the main thing that could prevent that, but it will spark an interesting conversation about how tall you actually need to be to play quarterback professionally. Either way he's an electric player that I really, really want to see starting games in the NFL.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Metapod posted:

If you think his height is a con you are dumb as poo poo. Dude is smaller than djax that's the issue

So what you're saying his height doesn't matter but his weight does? The two things are connected...

In any case, they both matter. How much is an open question but they matter.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Doltos posted:

The money for leaving early and getting drafted late is awful compared to staying an extra year and getting drafted earlier. Differences of 400k between third and 7th round. Makes no sense to declare early if there's more competition to get drafted.

What you're probably seeing is so many more 4 and 5 star recruits going to these big D1 schools and pushing out the last crop of 4 and 5 star recruits. College football players have been improving on measureables every year at the combine, it stands to reason that there's a ton more NFL worthy players out there now which means more people for the draft.

Well yeah what really matters is whether and when you have hit your peak and what the competition is like. For quarterbacks it's a great year to declare for the draft because a third round guy some years will be a first round guy this year.

Every college game has to be played with the understanding that it will either raise (great performance), lower (bad performance) or nearly destroy (serious injuries) your ability to make money in the pros. Every college game that you could've been in the NFL for is also a game you put your body at risk for free when you could be getting paid. It's a complex formula, but for younger players who just had a dominant year it's better to declare before that value drops for any reason. Whatever the right choice is for each individual player, they should be able to leave college sports and declare for the draft whenever they please

Gatts posted:

If he excels at Baseball and is A-Rod level, he gets a 20 year career at like 25 mill per year. At the low end, it's a couple million bucks...but you get a chance at 20 year career.

If you go for the NFL you get damaged permanently and have, maybe, 5-10 year career so you get rookie + big contract if you're lucky.

Baseball, if you love your family and wife, you get to travel the US together or whatever for 9 months out of the year. If you hate each other, you get to travel and cheat on your wife while she cheats on you for 20 years for 9 months of the year.

Baseball's the smart money compared to Football. Basketball with the most merchandise options and system to get more money outside of the sport and don't get the wear and tear plus the thirst.

I read some stuff online from sports finance experts that claim football will make him a lot more money in a much shorter time. I realize he's a dual threat guy but he's a pretty good passer so he could theoretically last quite a bit longer than 10 years in the NFL. Finally, football player salaries, especially quarterback salaries, are only going up. The average baseball player salary is 4.5 million per year. If Murray is a starting quarterback he could be making 30 million/year even if he's average by the time his contract rolls around.

With the injury risk, football can be brutal but there's also only 16 to 20 games per year. To me that would be preferable to the endless grind of regular season baseball

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I believe he's actually 5'9". It will definitely be a significant departure from the norm. I personally think it can work, especially with his athleticism that defenses will have to respect. But there will be challenges like making throws from within the pocket, especially fast throws like slants for example. The guys in the middle of the defensive line could be up to an entire foot taller than him, so for those kind of throws he'll need a lane which sometimes can be hard to find.

If he does succeed it could open the doors to more diminutive QBs getting a shot in the pros, which would be cool

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Chichevache posted:

It's a shame Russell Wilson, Drew Brees, Fran Tarkenton, and Baker Mayfield washed out so horribly.

Those people are all significantly taller than Kyler Murray. But yes I think they have done a good job preparing the way for even shorter guys

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Chichevache posted:

Despite what your girlfriend may be telling you, one inch is not a significant amount.

It's two inches, which is absolutely the difference between a good gently caress and a total letdown

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Inspector 34 posted:

ESPN's bottom of the screen ticker has been showing that 135 players have declared for the draft and that that is some kind of record. Don't something like 224 players get drafted each year? Presumably they all declare for the draft at some point. So what record is ESPN talking about?

Maybe a record number for this exact date in previous years

Play
Apr 25, 2006

ew gross. didn't even know liberty had a football team, definitely not sure why you'd be excited about playing there

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Grittybeard posted:

Hugh Freeze is not the slimiest thing about Liberty's football program and it's not particularly close. They specifically targeted and hired Baylor's old AD who was there when all of that stuff went down.

I didn't know who that was but after googling him, he seems like the perfect fit for Liberty. An awful person and an enormous hypocrite who constantly references Jesus in between his sex worker and bribery scandals

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

Also, who do you all think has the best name tool in the draft? I really like Greedy Williams, but that's easy

Clifton Duck

Bunchy Stallings

Evan Butts

Easton Stick

Soso Jamabo

Squally Canada

Shy Tuttle

Hamp Cheevers

yes these are all real

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Bunchy Stallings, Hamp Cheevers and Shy Tuttle could be the new era Three Stooges

meanwhile Easton Stick is either a lawsuit or an endorsement deal waiting to happen and Evan Butts is funny... lol buttss that's where poop and farts come from

Play
Apr 25, 2006

kiimo posted:

But sometimes, rarely but sometimes, draft pundits are like "why the gently caress is Seattle drafting Rashaad Penny in the first round?!" and they're right on the money.

The draft boards were pretty much right on this previous year. To me that gives lie to the idea that the draft is actually a crapshoot that can't be understood. The quarterbacks... all drafted in more or less the correct order. The big playmakers in the early rounds all became basically what we thought they would. There were some surprising scores and misses, but overall the information provided by that whole draft industry was mostly correct as far as I can tell

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbT9zx72SVI

get ready for a lot of Quinnen Williams = Aaron Donald hype

also is Nick Bosa really that good? Like a lock at first overall good? Seems doubtful to me but I don't know poo poo

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Samuel Gold's draft crush series has begun. Ep. 1 Dwayne Haskins

If Jameis Winston and Kirk Cousins had a baby...

That footwork is UGG-LYY! I feel like Gold dismissed that issue a little easily, considering footwork can be as difficult to change and fix as a throwing motion. I like the quick release but in the nfl he'll have to learn how to step into his throws and keep his feet under him. His movement skills seem kind of lacking too, but his arm throws a lively ball which would get even more so with proper footwork.

He's promising, but he also looks significantly less prepared than Rosen, Darnold and Mayfield last year. Essentially, he's developmental. Slim pickings this year for QBs when the top guy is a one year starter that looks like he'll need some time to get going in the NFL. Giants might be a good spot if they are actually committed to having Eli start next season, give him time to catch up. In Jacksonville or Washington he'd be baptized by fire, which could be good or bad

Play
Apr 25, 2006

kiimo posted:

Oof. Murray ranked the same as Josh Allen is a big wow. Murray is accurate and Allen is hopeful it goes forward.

They do share insane athleticism, but yeah Murray seems like a much better passer than Allen was at this stage. Worse, though, than Mayfield and Darnold.

To me it seems that he, not Hakins, should be the first QB off the board. He's got a hell of an arm and more importantly he brings so much more to the table than a relatively unathletic guy like Haskins. A guy who can extend plays and get yards with his feet is always better than one who can't, and I'm not convinced that there's that big of a difference in their passing (or in their potential as passers, at least). I'm probably wrong though

Play
Apr 25, 2006

kiimo posted:

Well I was all in on Rosen so shows you what I know.

Maybe I should like...watch college football?

Yeah I had Rosen at number 2, which doesn't look great in retrospect. I don't really have time to add more sports to my watching agenda so I'll just continue churning out painfully uninformed half-guesses, thank you very much

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I'm just gonna stream some certain relevant parts... it can be fun to watch the QBs and receivers. And then check out the 40s for a few positions and yeah that's about it

Play
Apr 25, 2006

The announcing is loving horrible. I remember last year Maurice Jones-Drew was just getting all awkwardly butthurt the entire time and carrying on some dumb loving argument instead of actually discussing what was taking place in front of him. That guy is such a jackass

fartknocker posted:

Watching Rich Eisen run the 40 every year is amazing. Also occasionally guys fall over or their junk pops out or other dumb things. It’s awesome background noise for a few days.

The 40s are kind of fun to watch in general. It's interesting the different running styles people have and it's one of those things where you can really learn something about what kind of player they'll be

hifi posted:

in honor of the combine i measured my hands and they're just under 9 1/2 inches. my comparables are aaron rodgers and jameis winston

That's pretty legit, how do you measure that? I'd like to compare my hands (and by extension my dick) to the famous athletes' I look up to and admire

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Grittybeard posted:

Mayock slowly going crazy over the course of the week until his brain is obviously mush on the last day was one of my favorite combine things.

the same thing will happen only stretched out over two years as Raiders gm. patience young one

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Samuel Gold on Kyler Murray

That's a pretty good review. The criticisms are all tendencies, too, which are fixable. You can't fix Haskins' movement issues, but you can teach a guy how to step up into the pocket and avoid pressure while keeping eyes downfield. Love the arm, love the speed, love the passing accuracy

I think he should be the first QB taken

Play
Apr 25, 2006

kiimo posted:

I think he should go #1 to Arizona and they should trade Rosen to New England and take a tight end with the 32nd pick

Couldn't agree more, I've loved that scenario for a while. Not sold on Rosen, yet. The opposite in fact. Let New England try to turn him into Tom Brady 2.0 while you draft the new hotness and instantly make your team watchable and interesting.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Kyler Murray would definitely handle a poor line better than Rosen. One of the things I didn't realize properly about Rosen until he actually started playing in the NFL is that his movement skills are really subpar compared to Darnold and Mayfield. New England is actually a team capable of making something out of him, they did the same for Tom Brady who also sucks at escaping under pressure and is slow

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Well Steve Keim just assured everyone that Josh Rosen is their quarterback at this exact moment in time

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Metapod posted:

Kyler so tall so big

you forgot the hands. the hands are important. big beautiful hands

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Everyone was telling him he needed to be bigger so he focused really hard and grew bigger. Incredible

Play
Apr 25, 2006

kiimo posted:

I wonder if he was wearing shoes or barefoot like the NBA.

He's going to go top 5 now, btw.

He's going number one overall when all this is done. Book it

Kalli posted:

I know absolutely nothing about Kyler Murray, but Pat White was 6'0 and 205 lbs and he got hit once so hard that his soul left his body.

On the other hand, it's a very different NFL these days in terms of quarterback hits and injuries. The kid gloves that defenders have to put on would benefit Kyler Murray, and his speed and low running stance should help him avoid the really big hits.

I'm also not sure I see how being larger would necessarily protect you from injury either. The longer your limbs the more leverage they create, to me a tall guy would be more likely to tear an ACL while planting a foot or being contacted low by pass rushers. A guy lower to the ground and more compact is a bit more protected in that way, although obviously if your limbs are too thin then there's less to keep them from bending in a way they shouldn't. Another worry would be how easy it would be to slam him into the ground, causing concussions. Still I don't believe he's every been seriously injured, so that's promising, and I don't see why he'd be any more likely than another running QB to tear an ACL for example

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

wandler20 posted:

Just look at all the pass rushing and dline talent in this draft then compare it to the OL talent. It's been this way for a minute now and soon all QBs are gonna die or the NFL is going to have to protect them even more.

Or they're gonna have to be really fast....

hell hath no fury like a QB scorned