Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Dagen H posted:

Filed to the gently caress Rust dept.:

BMWs love to do this here. I saw an E36 have a dynamic rear suspension drop after hitting a pothole a few years ago. The top dead coil came rocketing out.

I think the salt gets packed in against the bumpstop and it just rubs and rubs and rubs and it's already a little compromised because of the flattening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That wiper arm is like paper loving thin. It was probably already compromised.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Are filled with a loving bunch of idiots. Gates kit it completely fine

A Chinese Gates tensioner just failed on me after 20k. We bled the thing down perfectly. I'd never trust their poo poo for anything more than belts again.

Gates "N" kits, with the Japanese bearings and OE parts, seem to be fine, just like their older kits.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 28, 2019

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

So, uh, gonna be the sperg guy.

:spergin::viggo:

The EZ30 is only a few inches longer than an EJ25. It was specifically designed to fit in engine bays designed for the 4-cylinder so they didn’t have to redesign the cars, unlike the earlier EG33 H6 in the SVX, which was literally the 4-cylinder with two more cylinders added. The EZ30/36 used Siamese cylinders and some other tricks to keep it remarkably short.

The only thing you really have to change when going from a 4-cylinder to a 6-cylinder is to shorten the upper rad hose a bit, iirc. Even the motor mounts are the same. A remarkable job of Subaru engineering effort to make a swap that literally nobody does much easier.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Dagen H posted:

I'm still waiting for the perfect BRAT or XT donor shell.

I don't actually know if the EJ/EZ/EG/FB/FA motor mounts line up with the pushrod engines, but I would sure like to find out.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Dagen H posted:

False alarm. Loose hose clamp (two weeks after I last touched it?!?) --> coolant loss --> parking-lot refill --> improper fill/burp --> air pocket --> overheat.

He shut it down before the gauge pegged and got it towed home.

This is pretty much what happened to my 9-2X. I still have no idea how the hose clamps backed off. Good luck!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
gently caress. Hope it was good eating at least.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Subaru isnt Italian tho

They desperately want to be, though.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Dagen H posted:

My offspring, ladies and gentlemen. :ocelot:

I'd be super proud. They need any parts? I might have some junk left from my own EG.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Dagen H posted:

B18B1-swapped EG hatch: ok

Rustbucket scabbed together from 3 different cars, slathered in cheap Chinese ricer parts, and sprayed with bedliner (without a hint of masking): not ok

(comes storming out of the house)

WHILE YOU LIVE UNDER MY ROOF NO EBAY COILOVERS GODDAMMIT!! YOUR MOTHER AND I WANTED BETTER RIDE CONTROL FOR YOU, NOT SOME KIND OF STANCE NATION DUMBSHITTERY

"ok bilsteins"

(later, at christmas)

"mom, dad, this is who i am"

(kicks over the ottoman) THAT'S GREAT AND I LOVE YOU BUT HOLY poo poo ARE THOSE SOME loving ALIEXPRESS HIDS

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'm no expert, but isn't there supposed to be more chassis on that chassis?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I can tell you from experience that dent will come right out with some PDR. The front fenders on my 9-2X dent if you look at them funny.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Dagen H posted:

12VDC on both 3 & 4. Now what?

E: I should note that the "Air Assist Control Valve" also cycles rapidly with the key on.

E2: plugged it back in to see if it's still cycling (it's not), and...injector voltage went away. Hrm.

There's a wiring harness bundle that runs partially through one of the fenders, but I thought it was the driver's side. I don't remember what signals are on it, but I'd be surprised if the injector harness was - that should all be laced inside the intake manifold.

Did it get pinched in the hit?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Look for a hole - those kinds of fet blow out on Nissans sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMqLEjbK4FY

Little bit of isopropyl alcohol will probably clean up the worst of that. ECUs are fun!

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 3, 2020

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It'll sound about the same because a diesel and gasoline engine tend to have a lot of similarities at 0 rpm.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I no longer believe this is a lateral move.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Dagen H posted:

VW electrical gremlins? Don't know what you mean there, Chief.

*DRLs remain lit despite the key and headlamp switch being removed*

Try removing the power window switch.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Dagen H posted:

nice shocks

<:mad:>

Please leave the bumpstop if this will offend you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

That calls for duct tape in a companion color. Or camo.

Caulk or bright red vinyl furniture piping.