Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/12/06/microsoft-edge-making-the-web-better-through-more-open-source-collaboration/

so it looks like MS is giving up and just adopting chromium for edge

wrap it up, microsoftailures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

can they get rid of IE next

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
society would collapse without ie11

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
if ms starts contributing to chromium i might finally be able to use chrome to watch streaming video

so either they'll eliminate the only reason i ever use edge or video will run like poo poo in everything

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

can they get rid of IE next

they tried but they hosed that up too

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

very sad. all those dev's hard work was supposed to make something great

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

i'm the announcement simply signed "joe"

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Good Sphere posted:

i'm the announcement simply signed "joe"

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

edge my chome daddy

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

collaboratio: fellatio for workgroups

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
will never get rid of ie because there is always that one internal website every company has that runs in compatibility view cause the shits so old

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
there are still programs that use an embedded ie in a help window for some reason

i can always tell when they use it because the scrollbar looks like windows 8's

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i remember them saying they were bringing their own JS engine to Node and stuff like that. honestly disappointed there’s one less alternative to V8 and Googles WebKit fork.

in related news the Puppeteer project is making the API work with Firefox so that’s nice.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

hey PleasureKevin hows your life been disregarding dumb javascript browser bullshit

hope you're doing well

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

DaTroof posted:

hey PleasureKevin hows your life been disregarding dumb javascript browser bullshit

hope you're doing well

check the other microsoft thread

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

PleasureKevin posted:

check the other microsoft thread

surprisingly i was able to find it using forum search

anyway hope your doing well. thread hijack deferred

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
gently caress

this is actually gonna be a huge pain in the rear end at work

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

gently caress

this is actually gonna be a huge pain in the rear end at work

why

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

our webapp doesn't support Chrome or any chromium derivative. also, we only just recently finally did the work necessary to get it to work properly in Edge

web apps for enterprise users are a heck of a thing

pram
Jun 10, 2001
back to ie11 lol

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Main Paineframe posted:

our webapp doesn't support Chrome or any chromium derivative. also, we only just recently finally did the work necessary to get it to work properly in Edge

Windows subsystem for linux + Wine + old Edge browsers hth

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Main Paineframe posted:

why don’t you make the thing portable or run in an interpreted language instead of doing optimisation for laser focused webapp compatibility with microsoft windows internet wedge 5.56 for workgroups

it’s a webapp it can’t be that efficient in the first place

fake edit: is it 15 year old spaghetti code

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

i understand what you’re saying but it’s not something i’ve heard for 4-5 years.

are you sure you’re not dead and living in a kind of limb— in a kind of hell

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

It's written in VBScript? Some impressively bad development or management at any rate.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

suck my woke dick posted:

why don’t you make the thing portable or run in an interpreted language instead of doing optimisation for laser focused webapp compatibility with microsoft windows internet wedge 5.56 for workgroups

it’s a webapp it can’t be that efficient in the first place

fake edit: is it 15 year old spaghetti code

15 year old spaghetti code that's sold to governments. so we can get away with saying that we're not gonna support anything at all unless someone asks us to

tech debt went neglected for many years, so now the product has a ton of obsolete or outright dead dependencies and relies heavily on technologies that fell out of favor in the web world long ago (and it turns out Edge had a fuckton of bugs in the edge-case poo poo 99% of developers never use)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

same but also infrastructure

Main Paineframe posted:

15 year old spaghetti code that's sold to governments. so we can get away with saying that we're not gonna support anything at all unless someone asks us to

tech debt went neglected for many years, so now the product has a ton of obsolete or outright dead dependencies and relies heavily on technologies that fell out of favor in the web world long ago (and it turns out Edge had a fuckton of bugs in the edge-case poo poo 99% of developers never use)

goondolences

maybe convince the government to do a clean update, i‘m sure the tender for a minor webapp replacement won’t get feature creeped into being a $5bn 7 year late mess of even worse spaghetti code

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

suck my woke dick posted:

same but also infrastructure

goondolences

maybe convince the government to do a clean update, i‘m sure the tender for a minor webapp replacement won’t get feature creeped into being a $5bn 7 year late mess of even worse spaghetti code

new version only works on one specific build of chrome, which refuses to run at all unless you set your computer’s clock to 2018 and do a tls mitm to make it think the update servers don’t report a newer version

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Soricidus posted:

new version only works on one specific build of chrome, which refuses to run at all unless you set your computer’s clock to 2018 and do a tls mitm to make it think the update servers don’t report a newer version

nice.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Can someone check on shaggar and make sure he's ok

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Fabricated posted:

Can someone check on shaggar and make sure he's ok
actually this is good news for microsoft

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lol if you dont use fire fox

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

safari is real good now.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Yeah, but Apple Internet Explorer is locked to Apple's version of Windows 8.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Bloody posted:

lol if you dont use fire fox

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
lol if you don't use Camino.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
lol if you

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

please use Firefox and stop punishing yourself

safari is ok too

• Locked thread