Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
our permanent war in afghanistan appears to be going well!

quote:

Stanley McChrystal, the former commander of NATO forces in Afghanistan, recently told Secretary of State Mike Pompeo that he did not know what to do in Afghanistan but offered his “best suggestion” was for a small number of troops to remain and “muddle along” in the country, the retired four-star Army general told a small group last month during his book tour.

Although McChrystal, 64, mostly kept to a prepared presentation analyzing different military leaders through history during an hour-long talk in New York City on Nov. 26, he offered the surprisingly candid admission in response to an audience member’s question on the path forward in Afghanistan, according to an audio recording of McChrystal’s talk obtained by Task & Purpose.

I met with Secretary Pompeo this morning and he asked me the same question, and I said, ‘I don’t know.’ I wish I did. If I had a clever answer… if we pull out and people like al Qaeda go back, it’s unacceptable for any political administration in the U.S. It would just be disastrous, and it would be a pain for us,” McChrystal said of a potential drawdown for the war in Afghanistan, now in its 17th year.

Cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Isn't "al-Qaeda" already there in spades, and everywhere else too

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i was going to say america's handling sustained contact with afghanistan worse than the british empire, but the afghanis haven't managed to murder or expel all the americans in kabul yet

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Gotta keep that sweet sweet opium flowing here somehow

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
someone post the meme of the army guy with a chalkboard drawing the strategy of putting all the soldiers on C-130s and just flying home

we should have marched on DC on March 21st and physically manhandled every loving official into the loving sewers and never let them come out

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

we should have marched on DC on March 21st and physically manhandled every loving official into the loving sewers and never let them come out

this should be done on the regular regardless

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
Osama Ben laden was so addicted to being a revolutionary that he decided to bring down the maelstrom of another empire into the hills of Afghanistan. He did it with a theatrical flair that perfectly triggered America and changed geopolitics forever, then he spent like 12 years jerking off to anime

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
Afghanistan is the cool place to hang out. You can find most of the cool people there. In Afghanistan you can just chill and do whatever and totally relax. "Take it easy" is the Afghanistani motto, for example, that's how laid back it is there. Show up if you want to have a good time. Another good reason to show up is if your empire is in decline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
there was a time when afghanistan was the most technologically sophisticated place on earth. a system of subterranean aqueducts turned the valleys into profoundly lush agricultural land without salinating the soil, and the city states that agriculture fed grew wealthy and cosmopolitan from trade and travelers down the silk routes. many of he scientific and literary achievements now associated with the zenith of the early muslim caliphates were actually achieved by scholars in persianate (and recently islamicized) cities of what's now afghanistan. political instability, especially conflict with the open steppe nomads of north-central asia allowed the aqueduct systems to deteriorate though, making the cities' survival much more tenuous long before the Mongols swept in to deliver the killing blow during the great punitive expedition against the Khwarezm Empire that then dominated the region.

• Locked thread