Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Is now a good time to point out how much actual indie studios fuckibg love publishing to switch because they have a curated collection of games and have lots of products while still keeping the valve open only a little?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Easy Diff posted:

Is now a good time to point out how much actual indie studios fuckibg love publishing to switch because they have a curated collection of games and have lots of products while still keeping the valve open only a little?
i've seen complaining at least from consumers that there's too much trash on Switch eShop so I think no one will ever be satisfied with the amount of valving

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Fortnites player based is all teenage boys that wear basketball shorts at all times of the year. None of them care about indie titles, so I don't get who this is suppose to appeal to.

I didn’t even think about this but it’s so true lmao. They need something like nba 2k and cod. Like literally no joke

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Easy Diff posted:

Wait a second I just popped the Eshop open and there’s a ton of shovel ware trash as well. I would definitely not call it curated.

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006

BoneDaddy1969 posted:

I'm fine with not having to see a bunch of irate gamers getting ultra mad on a store page when devs add women or some other remotely woke thing to their games.

Dont worry, Epic themselves are already doing that. https://twitter.com/JeffGrubb/status/1071214275916554240

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm going to install this for Subnautica for free and that's probably it.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Alucardd posted:

Dont worry, Epic themselves are already doing that. https://twitter.com/JeffGrubb/status/1071214275916554240
lmao nice

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Are the free games free forever once you install, or will they stop working once the free days are over?

Robert Red Rocket
Apr 28, 2013

CHEATED ON HIS WIFE, SLEPT WITH PROSTITUTES ON FBI TAPES, JACQUELINE KENNEDY SAID MLK WAS TAPE-RECORDED BY FBI PLANNING A SEX PARTY
cool but steam is the only storefront with actually decent regional pricing so i’ll pass it (and any indie game that doesn’t do regional discounting on the epic store) thanks

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
A souls clone called Ashen came out yesterday and is on the Epic store but not yet on Steam (i think its on Gamepass too) and is reviewing very well. It looks great - anyone tried it?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

So it begins. If good indie games start releasing on Epic instead of Steam then the migration may start. Maybe.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Lack of regional pricing is the only thing that will stop me from making purchases on the epic store, I'm in for all the free stuff though.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Welp, I installed the Epic Launcher and bought Ashen. It's downloading now. The fact that they seem to be heavily curating their storefront is great - it's clean, it looks nice, and all of the upcoming games they have look really, really good.

E: Ashen is really cool and I made a thread for it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876507

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 8, 2018

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Can't wait to figure out how to make my controller work on my laptop without Steam doing everything for me. Oh well, Steam sucks.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

The Moon Monster posted:

The amount of people freaking out about Epic having the temerity to compete with Valve is pretty funny.

I think it's because people just like to have one marketplace, which is understandable. Having to shop at multiple sites (and therefore maintain several different app/accounts and switch between them) just to get your games sucks. Unfortunately, the amazing combo of capitalism + technology means that "making products to sell at the marketplace" is an inferior revenue generator to just "being the marketplace". So we have big companies just lining to up to fracture the market into as many fiefdoms as possibly and it's annoying as hell!

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Chomp8645 posted:

I think it's because people just like to have one marketplace, which is understandable. Having to shop at multiple sites (and therefore maintain several different app/accounts and switch between them) just to get your games sucks. Unfortunately, the amazing combo of capitalism + technology means that "making products to sell at the marketplace" is an inferior revenue generator to just "being the marketplace". So we have big companies just lining to up to fracture the market into as many fiefdoms as possibly and it's annoying as hell!

I'm not sure I agree with this - competition is good. EA has their subscription service which is only a few bucks a month for a ton of great games, and the more expensive tier which lets you play their top new releases. GoG's is completely DRM free. Epic is heavily curated and I like the look of the games they're bringing to the table.

Sure, having everything on Steam is convenient, but it's a good thing that other companies are competing.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

I keep making new ebic games accounts but chinamen steal them before I even have a chance to login!

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

Bardeh posted:

I'm not sure I agree with this - competition is good. EA has their subscription service which is only a few bucks a month for a ton of great games, and the more expensive tier which lets you play their top new releases.

Someone tried to take over my EA Origin account. They succeeded in changing my username, but when they tried to change the password and email address I was notified, I did a password reset, then immediately changed it to something else and took back control.

Except I can't get my original username back. I'm stuck with some Russian name, and the thief changed the secret security question and answer to something in Russian. The only way to contact EA Origin support regarding account theft issues is some web chat service - I tried to use it but an entire day went by with no response.

In theory I'm in favour of competition, but getting my account hacked/stolen and EA having no effective proceedure in place to handle such situations makes me hesitant to place my trust in companies having a go at running online marketplaces. With Steam Guard I know that no-one can change ANYTHING unless they sonehow have my password AND access to my emails AND text messages on my phone.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I know it's too late, but it serves as a good reminder: TURN ON 2FA (or MFA) on any service you use that supports it.

You had Steam Guard turned on. Why didn't you turn on 2FA for your EA account?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

your evil twin posted:

With Steam Guard I know that no-one can change ANYTHING unless they sonehow have my password AND access to my emails AND text messages on my phone.

Well yeah, you have 2FA turned on for your Steam account and you didn't for your EA account. The option is there, it's on you that you didn't use it.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Bardeh posted:

I'm not sure I agree with this - competition is good. EA has their subscription service which is only a few bucks a month for a ton of great games, and the more expensive tier which lets you play their top new releases. GoG's is completely DRM free. Epic is heavily curated and I like the look of the games they're bringing to the table.

Sure, having everything on Steam is convenient, but it's a good thing that other companies are competing.

I think the frustration a lot of people feel is how many of the storefronts aren't actually consumer-focused alternatives as much as just really limited attempts to avoid a third-party markup. Like, EA Access/Origin aren't terrible unto themselves, but they're primarily a storefront just for EA games. Things like Steam, GOG and (hopefully) Epic are less customer-frustrating because they're offering a marketplace with more convenience and value, but when you have EA Access/Origin for just EA games and Battle.net for just Activision-Blizzard games and the Bethesda Launcher for just Bethsoft games and someday you throw in Ubisoft finally flipping the switch that makes UPlay your location for Ubisoft games, it feels like you're going down a terrible path where every major publisher could credibly have their own thing, and while that decentralizes a Steam-style monopoly, it creates a bunch of separate fiefdoms with their own corporate markups rather than storefronts that are trying to explicitly compete with each other to provide the best customer experience, which has the added issue of raising the barrier of PC gaming entry to people who are inclined to/capable of juggling a half-dozen logins with 2FA for each one so you minimize the added risk of, say, Bethsoft unintentionally surfacing all of your PII because not every corporation is going to put the work into securing their storefronts properly because their primary concern, rather than customer experience, is markup management.

It's good that companies are competing, and I'm really excited for the Epic store given how hard they're coming out swinging on establishing a foothold as a new consumer marketplace and how it will hopefully force both them and Steam to up their respective games, but I don't think the every-publisher-a-storefront model is one that actually benefits the consumer in the long run.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

All good points.

Also a good point is that Steam heavily pushed their 2FA and makes it super easy to set up.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I launch Origin, the Blizz client, Uplay and GOG directly from Steam.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
My feelings on this so far is hey, why not. I never did find a reason to use Origin, I fell off GOG completely, and my Warcraft days are probably behind me forever, so I'm not really drowning in launchers right now. If they want to give me some free games now and then for downloading their launcher I can't really complain. I'm not sure how much I'll actually use it since the Switch is my indie machine right now, but if Steam finally, finally has some competition I hope it does well.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Does the Epic launcher have a wishlist feature like Steam? I couldn't find it last night and like having a notification when something I want is on sale.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Ill try it, even if I’m a huge Valve fan (until last year or so).

Lack of good “big” games and all these hentai anime games, ugh. Steam needs a kick in the butt, I love them but the store feels awful, never mind on non PC platforms, the iOS app is a joke.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
They got me for Journey, I'm definitely going to get it again for PC. People that didn't have a PS3 need to check it out.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Is it just me or do you HAVE to install Fortnite to have the Epic Launcher installed?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

Is it just me or do you HAVE to install Fortnite to have the Epic Launcher installed?

Go to the store and click the blue button in the upper right. It’s a poorly labeled download button.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
i want this to do well if only to light a fire under valve's rear end so they stop doing dumb poo poo with steam

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
On the one hand, competition is good because it forces companies to compete and actually improve the quality of their products. Right now Valve is being lazy and wants to enjoy all the perks of being a PC gaming government (collect taxes and detailed census data) while shirking all the responsibilities (build and maintain infrastructure, keep the peace and punish rule-breakers, provide education and awareness on public safety and health issues).

On the other hand, Steam sucks but so far barring GOG and maybe itch.io all the other options suck even harder, nobody likes balkinization of content especially not over like a dozen different platforms, and consumer patience has its limits before people get fed up with the whole market and start looking for greener pastures (Nintendo Switch or mobile gaming).

And on the gripping hand, while the PC client might not be so bad, the infosec drone in me really despises Epic training kids to break good security practices on their parents' phones and download dubiously secure third-party apps and app stores onto said phones just to play the games they want. That's a recipe for security exploit and malware abuse if I ever heard one, and I imagine we're going to hear all sorts of Epic app store horror stories in the coming months.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://www.pcgamer.com/super-meat-boy-forever-release-window-set-will-be-epic-store-exclusive-for-1-year/

Another timed exclusive. I wonder what Epic are paying for a year's exclusivity? Must be a decent amount because it's gonna definitely hit sales on these games not being on Steam.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Bardeh posted:

https://www.pcgamer.com/super-meat-boy-forever-release-window-set-will-be-epic-store-exclusive-for-1-year/

Another timed exclusive. I wonder what Epic are paying for a year's exclusivity? Must be a decent amount because it's gonna definitely hit sales on these games not being on Steam.

Well...poo poo. I get why he's doing that, though.

Although statements like "I would have put it on [the Epic Store] eventually anyway and I'm glad to make it exclusive" are annoying because I feel like if you're making anything exclusive unnecessarily, you're kind of a dickhead.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 9, 2018

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Jose Oquendo posted:

I know it's too late, but it serves as a good reminder: TURN ON 2FA (or MFA) on any service you use that supports it.

You had Steam Guard turned on. Why didn't you turn on 2FA for your EA account?

I turned it off for uPlay because they used that hot piece of poo poo Google Authenticator that lost its settings and forced me to use one of my recovery codes to rescue my account multiple times.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Fallom posted:

I turned it off for uPlay because they used that hot piece of poo poo Google Authenticator that lost its settings and forced me to use one of my recovery codes to rescue my account multiple times.

What's wrong with Google Authenticator? I've been using it for a while with no issues.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Jose Oquendo posted:

What's wrong with Google Authenticator? I've been using it for a while with no issues.

It’s great until you have to switch phones, or uninstall it or do anything to mess with it ever...

I stopped using it because I forgot to specifically disconnect it before switching phones and was lucky to recover my accounts with the recovery codes. The amount of janitoring required to keep it safe is more annoying than possibly losing my assassins creed account

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

It’s great until you have to switch phones, or uninstall it or do anything to mess with it ever...

I stopped using it because I forgot to specifically disconnect it before switching phones and was lucky to recover my accounts with the recovery codes. The amount of janitoring required to keep it safe is more annoying than possibly losing my assassins creed account

Try Authenticator+, it saves the info in an encrypted file you can dump on Google Drive or Dropbox and keep synced between your devices.

If you have a Yubikey, you could also try Yubico Authenticator. That stores between 20-32 codes on the key (depending on how new it is) so you can plug it into your computer (or even your phone, if it's Android and has NFC) to pull up the codes.

They also just plain look nicer than Google Authenticator.

Also remember, SMS 2FA means the person needs access to your phone number, not the phone itself. Which means, thanks to Sim Swap and Port Forwarding scams, it should be considered effectively broken for security purposes. (unless you send it to a VOIP number like Google Voice or something)

Kerning Chameleon fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 10, 2018

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Kerning Chameleon posted:

On the one hand, competition is good because it forces companies to compete and actually improve the quality of their products.
but shouldn't the new competitor also be good themselves, and, say, have have features that Steam doesn't have, that would push Valve to improve in those areas? because the Epic client/store is even more barebones than the Switch/eShop and it's been around for 3 years

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Is Hades good enough to make installing another store front worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

DrManiac posted:

Is Hades good enough to make installing another store front worth it?

Imagine if Bastion and Dead Cells had a baby.

So to answer your question, yes.