Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Epic Games Store

Middleware developer EPIC games has released yet another launcher to throw on the pile of Origin, UPlay, Games for Windows Live and Battle.net. Except this one has a twist: They're going after indies, hard, with an announced 12% cut (compared to Steam's 30% cut) and waiving the 5% cut for Unreal engine if your game uses it.

Jamfrost posted:

Epic definitely has the user base to shake things up.

Maybe.

Maybe Steam will fight back by curating what gets put on their storefront so that indies don't have to fight garbage for exposure. :yayclod:

They've got some big ideas, including handing out 2 games a month, gratis, for an unspecified number of months. This month is Subnautica and Super Meat Boy, universally praised games but not exactly new releases.

Their storefront is kind of a mess right now, no search bar, no wish list, no categories or filtering.

But I will say this - Steam went from 1,500 titles on their platform in 10 years from 2004 to 2014, to over 30,000 titles just 4 years later. The quality control and storefront exposure you used to get on Steam as a publisher is straight gone. Valve made their bed, decorated it with teddybears full of cum, and now they must lie in it.

If Epic goes the Nintendo Switch route and actually curates the games on their service so that indie devs actually get the exposure needed to make their nut selling just on Epic, they could seriously challenge Steam in a hurry, especially if anticipated indie releases (like Satisfactory) pull their Steam pages to take advantage of the gold rush on Epic's front page right now.

Thoughts/Concerns/Fortnite dances?

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Epic

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

For the win

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
They hit 200 million players (or people that at least tried the game) for Fortnite with at least 8 million concurrent players. That's a lot of potential customers.

The 88/12 split with royalty free Unreal Engine usage for sales using their platform is super seductive. I hope more games on my wishlists don't suddenly migrate off too much to Epic.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
If they allow Fortnite crosspromos/cosmetics, it'll be like TF2 in it's stronger days where people literally bought random poo poo they had no interest in for a chance to look like a virtual clown.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Free games you say?

Who told Epic my one weakness?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I must say I was briefly alarmed to see my name highlighted in the OP. What has Valve been doing to my brethren? :ohdear:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Does going to Epic mean never touching Steam?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The lower cut for the indies seems interesting, it may be an actual incentive for devs to jump on this especially bundled with being way more visible here compared to Steam's release schedule. Even moreso that Steam lowered their cut specifically for big titles that sell a lot which is the opposite direction.

The question is though - is the audience of Epic games interested in buying indies? It's a company angled at mainstream audience that buys one game a year - Gears, Unreal, Fortnite. I don't know if those customers want to buy some small quirky title they never heard about.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
The launcher has been around for a while, it's just that now it actually does something other than be a thing you need to install to run Unreal Tournament Fortnite.

Hopefully it provides decent competition to Steam rather than just kinda exist like Origin or Bethesda's launcher.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do I have to play Fornite if I download this crap

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

Do I have to play Fornite if I download this crap

the store works by playing fortnite, you have to shoot giant letters to enter your credit card number

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
It'll be interesting to see where the indies that fled Steam end up. Satisfactory for example already has had its subreddit devolve into people fighting over it.

Personally I'm skeptical of the whole thing. I don't think Epic's team is competent enough and they have some REAL dumb ideas about what good service actually means; I'm also lowkey anticipating some huge data breach because already Epic has a huge problem with Fornite accounts getting hacked and if even a fraction of that translates to the accounts of people buying games, it's going to be a huge mess.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Is Hades going to be exclusive to this? Was that said?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ground floor of an Epic thread!!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm gonna piss and poo poo on the floor now

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Where is the savoir that will consolidate all this goddamn launchers into one program? I'm already tired of adding games to my steam list because I'll forget I own them if I just leave them sitting on Gog/Origin/Uplay.

In any case the launcher is kinda worthless, but hopefully they'll actually pay someone to update it unlike Steam. That's my real hope for this.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
The full release of subnautica is only one year old, which is quite amazing for an indie game with AAA level content to be given out for free so soon! Everyone should try it.

Most indie game dev i like use Unity Engine, how hard would it be for indie dev to make one on Epic engine? Or if they can cheese it by slapping the epic engine on top of unity or something?

I hope Steam would be extra hurt if Epic have achievement too.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I used the Epic launcher to try Fortnite for a few rounds (it's not for me, I see the appeal but the weapons feel mushy and I can't be bothered to build - I'm a crusty pubg style man) and a day later I had a password reset notification from someone trying to access my account

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Darkhold posted:

Where is the savoir that will consolidate all this goddamn launchers into one program? I'm already tired of adding games to my steam list because I'll forget I own them if I just leave them sitting on Gog/Origin/Uplay.

In any case the launcher is kinda worthless, but hopefully they'll actually pay someone to update it unlike Steam. That's my real hope for this.

yeah give me your credit card info and I'll manage them for you

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Songbearer posted:

I used the Epic launcher to try Fortnite for a few rounds (it's not for me, I see the appeal but the weapons feel mushy and I can't be bothered to build - I'm a crusty pubg style man) and a day later I had a password reset notification from someone trying to access my account

Enjoy your new life. I downloaded Epic's launcher to redeem a free copy of Shadow Complex like one or two years ago and have been getting them constantly, sometimes a couple days apart. I found these forgotten in my inbox.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I haven’t used the epic launcher since I installed it to get Shadow Complex.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Jamfrost posted:

They hit 200 million players (or people that at least tried the game) for Fortnite with at least 8 million concurrent players. That's a lot of potential customers.

The 88/12 split with royalty free Unreal Engine usage for sales using their platform is super seductive. I hope more games on my wishlists don't suddenly migrate off too much to Epic.

Is epic going to be running forums and doing online matchmaking for every game like steam does?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Jarvisi posted:

Is epic going to be running forums

O Lord, I hope not.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Babe Magnet posted:

yeah give me your credit card info and I'll manage them for you
Not sure what you're getting at. You can already Log in through Steam on sites like Gog and have them scrape your games list. If those just got added to a launcher that fired up whichever was needed at the time it'd be fine. If you buy a Uplay game on Steam you log in to Uplay when you launch it.

Gog or whoever just adding an 'auto add your game libraries' wouldn't steal your precious CC data.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Jarvisi posted:

Is epic going to be running forums and doing online matchmaking for every game like steam does?

They explicitly mentioned they won't do forums and will do "a ticketing system that allows customers to alert developers about the specific problem they’re having “instead of review-bombing them.”

Sounds like nonsense.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Det_no posted:

Enjoy your new life. I downloaded Epic's launcher to redeem a free copy of Shadow Complex like one or two years ago and have been getting them constantly, sometimes a couple days apart. I found these forgotten in my inbox.

bleh. I got my hands full with playstation account hack attempts. I don't need another source...

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

Which it to say that developers hate it when their poo poo, poorly optimised games get publicly rear end-blasted on the steam forums and Epic are more than happy to hide that from other potential buyers. What's that? The game you just purchased has some serious issues we hid from you? Sorry, no refunds!

If all it takes for valve to remain the major digital drugs dealer is giving indies a slightly larger cut and ensuring their store front is better curated than it is currently then I can't see them not doing that.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Catsplosion posted:

Which it to say that developers hate it when their poo poo, poorly optimised games get publicly rear end-blasted on the steam forums and Epic are more than happy to hide that from other potential buyers. What's that? The game you just purchased has some serious issues we hid from you? Sorry, no refunds!

If all it takes for valve to remain the major digital drugs dealer is giving indies a slightly larger cut and ensuring their store front is better curated than it is currently then I can't see them not doing that.

You aren't going to run out of places where people can angrily rant at developers for whatever slights they did.

Also the Epic store has refunds

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Meh.

Just wanted to get Hades which just leaves me with "Payment error" when trying to use the money already on the account. Great start.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Palpek posted:

The question is though - is the audience of Epic games interested in buying indies? It's a company angled at mainstream audience that buys one game a year - Gears, Unreal, Fortnite. I don't know if those customers want to buy some small quirky title they never heard about.

I think it'll work the other way: the audience for indie games will follow them to Epic, provided the Epic gets account information locked down tighter. I don't think it'll be a fast exodus, but I think a lot of indie developers are going to put their games on both platforms until and if Epic's gets enough of an audience to write off Steam.

People who play GoW or Fortnite might not want small quirky indie games, but people who do will follow them.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Not really a fan of the Epic launcher already or its friends list. The forums and review stuff doesn't really matter to me so thats cool for devs who get annoyed by review bombs or whatever and toxic rear end forum communities.

I want Hades but I'm not sure I want to be running another games launcher after Steam, Battle.net and GOG (I already uninstalled Fortnite earlier in the year). I just don't know about it to be honest, it need a lot of work. For me personally I already the majority of my friends on steam, the new steam chat is actually pretty robust. Right now its a curated store front but I can easily see this becoming like every other store front where it showcases a bunch of random bullshit that doesn't interest me like Steam has (thankfully now I can just ignore/mute so much of the trash on there thanks to new features).

We shall see, its gonna be interesting.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
To be completely fair, Steam was awful when it launched, but Epic doesn't really have the same luxury to bumble around while they find their footing.

I'd be happy if Valve's laziness and greed caught up to them, at any rate.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Not really a fan of the Epic launcher already or its friends list. The forums and review stuff doesn't really matter to me so thats cool for devs who get annoyed by review bombs or whatever and toxic rear end forum communities.

I want Hades but I'm not sure I want to be running another games launcher after Steam, Battle.net and GOG (I already uninstalled Fortnite earlier in the year). I just don't know about it to be honest, it need a lot of work. For me personally I already the majority of my friends on steam, the new steam chat is actually pretty robust. Right now its a curated store front but I can easily see this becoming like every other store front where it showcases a bunch of random bullshit that doesn't interest me like Steam has (thankfully now I can just ignore/mute so much of the trash on there thanks to new features).

We shall see, its gonna be interesting.

New steam chat is basically an inferior discord. :effort:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Cuntellectual posted:

New steam chat is basically an inferior discord. :effort:

Sure but Epic's friendslist isn't even remotely close to discord. I'm on discord a bunch but I have friends that don't like it and just talk to me over Steam.

BoneDaddy1969
Mar 4, 2018

Catsplosion posted:

Which it to say that developers hate it when their poo poo, poorly optimised games get publicly rear end-blasted on the steam forums and Epic are more than happy to hide that from other potential buyers.

I'm fine with not having to see a bunch of irate gamers getting ultra mad on a store page when devs add women or some other remotely woke thing to their games.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The amount of people freaking out about Epic having the temerity to compete with Valve is pretty funny. I don't really care about Epic one way or the other but this can't be much worse than steam has gotten. Games that call themselves roguelikes but aren't roguelikes are one of my favorite genres so I'll probably pick up Hades once I've played Smash for a bit. Also Dark Soulses so if it sounds like that Ashen game is good...

Nichael posted:

Is Hades going to be exclusive to this? Was that said?

It's DRM free so "exclusive" is a relative term. To answer your though question I don't know.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fortnites player based is all teenage boys that wear basketball shorts at all times of the year. None of them care about indie titles, so I don't get who this is suppose to appeal to.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
I've been seriously wanting to try and get into satisfactory ( i like factorio and factory games and coffee stain studios other games like goat simulator ) so ive been following their descent into this mess.
Epic launcher? Sure why not. Its not steam which makes me more likely to actually buy the loving thing at this point.
Like it makes sense to me. 12% cut, and you arent diving into the cum hentai game laiden asset flip mess that is steam. Your competition is being promoted with other indie games or being promoted with EARLY ACCESS SURVIVAL OPEN WORLD BUILDING.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I played a round of Fortnite and I mostly hid and then killed someone and then died. Not sure if Good Game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
More like Hades games aren't gonna play themselves!!