Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Whoooo dude you better mean that cause that is some drat high praise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

BexGu posted:

It's pretty obvious where the design influences are from. The game is definitely early access, but it's quite fun.

Quick weapon impressions: The starting sword is pretty bad. The bow is better, but has glaring weaknesses. The spear is very good. The shield is excellent.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

BexGu posted:

Yeah, wow. I'll have to keep an eye on that game.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Magitek posted:

Imagine if Bastion and Dead Cells had a baby.

So to answer your question, yes.

R u kidding ugh guess I’m downloading this

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
okay, THIS is epic

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Kotaku is streaming Hades if you happen to be around right now:

https://www.twitch.tv/kotaku

(or check the vod later I guess if it's saved)

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
wonder how much money epic is shelling out for exclusives

gently caress the console wars gently caress the launcher wars too now its getting too crazy.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I mean, I'd be interested in trying this if it would install and if their guide on how to get past this helped at all.

It seems to be a rather common problem.

EDIT: Oh hey, someone found a solution to this literally two years ago and the problem has been around since 2015. I HAVE all the required prerequisites and it's not understanding this somehow, so I add -SkipBuildPatchPrereq to the shortcut and it loads fine.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 10, 2018

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
While trying to show Hades to a friend, I discovered you can't start the game unless you're connected to the internet. Christ I hate that.

But yeah, Hades is For Real.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ragnar34 posted:

While trying to show Hades to a friend, I discovered you can't start the game unless you're connected to the internet. Christ I hate that.

But yeah, Hades is For Real.

How early access is it? I wanted to give it a shot--I keep missing SuperGiant games, for some reason, ever since Bastion--but I was put off when I realized it isn't a full game yet. Getting tired of the beta testing thing, frankly.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
I'm upgrading the spear in Hades from "Very Good" to "Overpowered". Just discovered that if you dash while charging up the stationary spin attack, you'll immediately spin AFTER moving the dash distance. This transforms the spin attack from something fairly niche (but still worthwhile) into an attack that is remarkably versatile and powerful. Especially since the attack receives any dash-related bonuses this way, e.g. the persistent passive Mirror dash bonus or Artemis's dash crit boon.

Not sure if this is intended, but I'd expect it to get nerfed all the same.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Easy Diff posted:

Is now a good time to point out how much actual indie studios fuckibg love publishing to switch because they have a curated collection of games and have lots of products while still keeping the valve open only a little?

That Senran Kagura pinball game is going to be exclusive to the switch, Nintendo ain’t that picky.

Anyway if this Epic Storefront ever gets big enough to rival Steam, it will invariably pick up it’s fair share of garbage. Just look at your local GameStop, how many games do they sell in there are you actually willing to play?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

mikemil828 posted:

Just look at your local GameStop, how many games do they sell in there are you actually willing to play?

I don't really want to play any Funkopops.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

How early access is it? I wanted to give it a shot--I keep missing SuperGiant games, for some reason, ever since Bastion--but I was put off when I realized it isn't a full game yet. Getting tired of the beta testing thing, frankly.

Someone else can answer this better because I just barely beat the first boss. So far I'd say we've got the base gameplay and progression, but we're short a couple of features and weapons right now, since there are two locked doors out in the main lobby and some conspicuously open weapon slots in the training room. And, just based on experience with other early access games, I'm guessing the existing systems will get more stuff as they update. I don't know whether the whole game's storyline is in yet.

The first major update is in 36 days according to a thing at the bottom of the main screen. I guess we'll see what that means next month.

But if you haven't played Bastion, maybe you have better things to do first. Or play Transistor, because that game is good too.

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 11, 2018

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

As a big-time proponent (it was my GOTY 2007) of JAWS: Unleashed, I gotta say Man Eater looks hella dope.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Easy Diff posted:

As a big-time proponent (it was my GOTY 2007) of JAWS: Unleashed, I gotta say Man Eater looks hella dope.

I've had that on my Steam wish list ever since it was announced, and if the developers don't pull it from Steam, there's a good chance it will also be sold on Green Man Gaming or another Steam key seller site with a decent discount.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It's a good thing I found that fix, because those guys sure aren't tripping over themselves to get back to my support ticket.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Created an account.
Can't log into account. Keep getting 'wrong account/password'
Can't change my password because my 'change password' email never gets sent.
I have checked my spam folder. Repeatedly.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I don't even use GoG's launcher. Downloaded it for Gwent but uninstalled both after a few days. I know Twitch has a game launcher because they've given free games through prime. Discord's trying to run a storefront for some reason. Then there's Blizzard and Ubisoft's launchers if I ever want to play the games of theirs I own.

I've got too many launchers I already don't use. I guess the market is Fortnite kids but they'll probably move on to the next big thing eventually, so Epic had better hope its in their marketplace.

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 12, 2018

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ChrisBTY posted:

Created an account.
Can't log into account. Keep getting 'wrong account/password'
Can't change my password because my 'change password' email never gets sent.
I have checked my spam folder. Repeatedly.

If you created it with a gmail account, just create another one as "chrisBTY+Epic@gmail" and those mails will also go to your same acct.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1089931474965544961?s=19

It'll also $49.99 on Epic instead $59.99 on Steam. Seems like a big deal.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Its exclusively on the Epic Store for a year. I don’t like this money-hatting Epic is doing. It would have been better if the publisher just released the game on both stores.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Mill Village posted:

Its exclusively on the Epic Store for a year. I don’t like this money-hatting Epic is doing. It would have been better if the publisher just released the game on both stores.

Oh no the publisher :cry:

gently caress them I’m saving me 10 bucks

Edit: here’s something that actually gives me pause - Epic is owned by a Chinese company (Tencent), so maybe they’re giving a shitload of user info to them?

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 29, 2019

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Unfortunately everyone’s already giving a shitload of information to everyone else.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Oh no the publisher :cry:

gently caress them I’m saving me 10 bucks

Edit: here’s something that actually gives me pause - Epic is owned by a Chinese company (Tencent), so maybe they’re giving a shitload of user info to them?

Epic is owned 10% by a Chinese company, I don't think they are giving them anything beyond rough metrics at best.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I just assume that every company is selling all the information I give them (and sometimes information I don't give them)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Stick100 posted:

Epic is owned 10% by a Chinese company, I don't think they are giving them anything beyond rough metrics at best.
40% at least.

quote:

In an attempt to gain more GaaS experience, they made an agreement with Chinese Tencent, who had several games under their banner (including Riot Games' League of Legends) operating successfully as games as a service.[37] In exchange for Tencent's help, Tencent acquired approximately 48.4% of Epic then issued share capital, equating to 40% of total Epic — inclusive of both stock and employee stock options, for $330 million in June 2012. Tencent Holdings has the right to nominate directors to the board of Epic Games and thus counts as an associate of the Group.[2]

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Mordja posted:

40% at least.

Yeah sorry just confirmed 40% Tencent. I read 10% for a couple of sources yesterday sorry for passing along misinformation.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

lol if people are thinking it's 10% because of Ten per cent

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

your evil twin posted:

Someone tried to take over my EA Origin account. They succeeded in changing my username, but when they tried to change the password and email address I was notified, I did a password reset, then immediately changed it to something else and took back control.

Except I can't get my original username back. I'm stuck with some Russian name, and the thief changed the secret security question and answer to something in Russian. The only way to contact EA Origin support regarding account theft issues is some web chat service - I tried to use it but an entire day went by with no response.

In theory I'm in favour of competition, but getting my account hacked/stolen and EA having no effective proceedure in place to handle such situations makes me hesitant to place my trust in companies having a go at running online marketplaces. With Steam Guard I know that no-one can change ANYTHING unless they sonehow have my password AND access to my emails AND text messages on my phone.

Someone stole my Origin account & put 2SA on it. I was able to ring up EA & resolve the issue. I'm in Australia

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Mordja posted:

40% at least.

Yeah, I'd be surprised if user info wasn't a big part of why Tencent made the investment.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Between WeChat, League of Legends and Fortnite, tencent already has everyone's information

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
And frankly, I don't really trust LowTax not to try and get a few extra pennies out of Tencent with our info.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So Satisfactory is an Epic exclusive and I went ahead and downloaded the launcher. Except my email was already used for an account, which I thought was weird. I recovered the password and the account was set to Thailand with some l33t kid name so I just changed it and applied 2-factor to the account, I should be in the clear right?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

So Satisfactory is an Epic exclusive and I went ahead and downloaded the launcher. Except my email was already used for an account, which I thought was weird. I recovered the password and the account was set to Thailand with some l33t kid name so I just changed it and applied 2-factor to the account, I should be in the clear right?

Well, you’re still playing video games

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Demiurge4 posted:

I dunno how good or bad epic support is, but there's always the chance they could recover it by proving payment information (if they had bought anything)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Outer worlds is now Epic Exclusive

https://www.polygon.com/2019/3/20/18274456/epic-games-store-exclusives-outer-worlds-control

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
It would be nice if they put up all their old Epic Megagames library on their own store. Even though I doubt they'd sell much it feels like something they should do. If they ever get a Steam Workshop equivalent they could even host ZZT boards.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

pairofdimes posted:

It would be nice if they put up all their old Epic Megagames library on their own store. Even though I doubt they'd sell much it feels like something they should do. If they ever get a Steam Workshop equivalent they could even host ZZT boards.

If Bloodlines can get a sequel then by God so can ZZT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I mean. Y'all know ZZT is free now and has a thriving community and tools, right.

Also there was literally a sequel. Super ZZT.