Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

It honestly reads like Tim Sweeney is intentionally trying to make a deal that sounds hostile to Steam so that when Steam declines he can use their refusal as a cassus belli to declare open war on steam.

It's either that or they spent way more money than they anticipated buying up exclusivity rights and he's trying to extend an olive branch to save themelvset.

Sweeney knows the cut is unsustainable without degrading the experience in some ways. Like Steam absorbs the transaction fees because of the 30% cut, whereas transaction fees for anywhere outside of the US are passed on to the consumer in EGS. Another one of the reasons why EGS is anti consumer.

Mischievous Mink posted:

I feel like it helps distract people from the news about Epic's Fortnite money hose being built off crunch hours and destroying the health of their employees, as a nice bonus.

Also that Fortnite has peeked and their updates are doing absolutely nothing to stop the bleeding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Magitek posted:

Is it, though? I rather doubt it. I mean, maybe it wouldn't support Valve as a game development company (who haven't released a traditional game since Portal 2 in 2011), but DOTA2 alone might be enough for that.

Tim is saying this with the ultimate goal of making more money and most people recognize that, but let's not pretend that Steam hasn't been unimaginably profitable for years.

I already mentioned how they pass on the transaction fees to the user instead of absorbing it like steam does