Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Kibayasu posted:

Are you talking about Epic or Valve.

epic is most definitely not owned by a small number of private individuals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Mordja posted:

So Ubisoft's been touting Anno 1800 as their fastest selling Anno game. They claim it's sold four times as many copies as 2205 did during its first week, a figure sites like PCGamer are happy to repeat. The fact is, it's the easiest thing in the world to look at Steamcharts and see that the "four times" number could almost single-handedly have come from Steam. The last game's peak was 7,401, the current's is 25,214. Zero way of telling how many people bought it on EGS and Uplay.

Now, you could argue that Ubisoft is cannily having its cake and eating it too by creating an artificial scarcity on the most popular storefront, taking Epic's exclusivity money and sales-guarantee, and continuing to sell it on their own platform, but it still doesn't prove EGS' long-term viability, I think.

i mean comparing it to 2205 isn't really fair because 1800 is an actual game with real design whereas 2205 was a half hearted redux of 2070 (which had shitloads of problems to begin with)

it's kind of like saying "well RE4 sold a lot better than RE3 and RE4 was on fewer systems so therefore the gamecube must be the One True Way!!" like no motherfucker it's because RE4 was a new game with cool thought and real elbow grease put into it, RE3 was one run of RE2 with a cooler tyrant.

(yes i will die on this hill of nemmy being cooler than x in the originals, don't @ me)