Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Ubisoft blatantly exploiting the Epic store hype is my favourite part in all this right now - sell preorders on Steam (probably about 20% cut for their biggest games), announce pulling the game from Steam (leading to more preorders for the precious first-week-sales numbers), get Epic to pay for your "exclusive" (so you can sell the game on a different 3rd party store with free advertising, this time with a 12% cut), while the game is always available on Uplay (0% cut) which people have to use to play the game anyway.

Well, my favourite part besides some indies and their promoters in the gaming "press" acting like Epic is doing this out of the goodness of their heart, in order to save the poor gaming industry from the clutches of greedy Steam.

orcane fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Well it's cool that the exclusives are only timed, so the games can have a Steam page and use all of Steam's features in advance while exclusively selling their games on Epic for the time being :v:

But I agree with you, even though I don't need/use a lot of the stuff Steam offers, it's there and some people will want and use it so it has value.

And yeah, I guess some devs think "gently caress forums and reviews, entitled gamers just review bomb my game, pirate it and call each other names on the forums" which, I think, was even a point Epic made when they launched EGS. Obviously that's not all Steam is good for but if you've been following gaming blogs/websites for the past year or two it's certainly a thing that keeps popping up, with all games, indie or AAA.

However, I think that if you go in expecting forums to be your enemy, you've already lost and shouldn't be surprised if this turn out to be true.